Cannot Remote Control: Error 7054

Johannes

Sep 10, 2007, 8:22:02 PM9/10/07
When I try to remote control a session (neither are console session), I get
error:
Session (ID 2) remote control failed
(Error 7054 - The system has reached its licensed logon limit. Please try
again later. )

The old installation didn't have this problem but the hard drive crashed so
we have to reinstall.

Q1. Why do I get this error and how do I fix it?
Q2. a. Is this because we don't have license?
b. Our network admin told me that he already put the CAL license on
the license manager (on our Domain controller), how do I check if we actually
have CAL for Windows 2003 Terminal Server?

Btw, here are a few settings:
1. From Terminal Services Configuration
a. Server Settings:
- Licensing Per Device
- License server discovery mode Automatic
b. Connections: RDP-Tcp Properties, Permissions tab
The local admin, which I'm login right now, On Advanced, Everything
(Query Information, Remote Control, Connect etc) is set to Allow.

If anybody can help, it's greatly appreciated.

Vera Noest [MVP]

Sep 11, 2007, 4:11:16 PM9/11/07
Check the EventLog on the server for more info. Repost with EventID
and Source if you need more help.
I believe that this messsage points to a lack of Windows CALs,
rather than TS CALs.
If that's the case, simply stop and disable the License Logging
Service on the TS, since it is known to inaccurate and shouldn't be
used anymore.

Documented here:
824196 - Description of the License Logging Service in Windows
Server Operating Systems
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824196

You can start the TS Licensing Manager to have a look at the TS
CALs which are installed and issued.
Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uZXM=?= <Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote on 11 sep 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

Johannes

Sep 12, 2007, 7:32:01 PM9/12/07
Vera,
There is no error log in the EventLog regarding this. I check the EventLog
before and after my attempt to Remote Control a user session (from Terminal
Services Manager), and the EventLog is the same before and after.
From my laptop, I Remote Desktop to the Terminal Server, login as
Administrator. Then again from my Laptop, I Remote Desktop to the same
Terminal Server but this time with another user login.
From the RDP that I login as Admin, I use Terminal Services Manager, Right
click on the Session that has my 2nd login and select Remote Control. I got
the error message.

The license server is on our Domain controller. On this Terminal Server
machine, we set the licensing to Auto Discover. Btw, this Terminal Server
machine is Win2K3 Standard Server.
From the Terminal Server Licensing, there is only 1 entry on the left, and
this entry shows our Domain controller machine name. When I expand it, there
are 3 branches:
1. Existing Windows 2000 Server - Terminal Services CAL Token (per device)
there are a bunch of entry (Issued to), but don't see the name of this
trouble Terminal Server machine name.
2. Windows Server 2003 - Terminal Server Per User CAL Token
When I clicked on it, on the right pane, I have only one row, with all
columns say "Not Applicable"
3. Temporary Licenses for WIndows Server 2003 - Terminal Server Per Device
CAL Token
When I clicked on it,on the right pane, there is a bunch of rows, but
again don't see this troubled machine name.

What should I do?

Jo

Vera Noest [MVP]

Sep 13, 2007, 9:30:18 AM9/13/07
So from clientA you try to remote control another session, which
also runs on clientA, but with a different user name? I don't know
if this is even possible.
Does it work when you try to remote control a session which is
started from another client altogether?

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? Maybe you simply want
to connect to your other session, in stead of remote controlling
it?

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uZXM=?= <Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com>

Johannes

Sep 13, 2007, 10:16:12 AM9/13/07
I did this many times already. Also I tried to remote control a session from
another machines. I did all your suggestion (not the Connect) many times
successfully before we reinstalled our Terminal Server machine.
Remote controlling the session I launched from my own machine is just for
testing, that will never happen in real production because that makes no
sense to do it.
The previous installation worked alright, but we had to reinstall because
the harddrive crashed and this new installation is not working (we
reinstalled last month). What is weird, multiple user, we had 10 users from
10 different machines, connected to TermServ all at once and everybody got
in. The only problem is I cannot Remote Control (I tried to Remote control
from a session with admin login, this is not a Console session).

I cannot use the Connect because that will require the other user to tell me
the password, although they might trust me, I don't want to know their
password.

Maybe I should change my question:
1. How do I check if we have CAL for our Terminal Server?
2. How do I know which machine our TermServ machine is ACTUALLY queries to
get the CAL?
I think the problem is not having CAL for Terminal Server Windows 2003
Server, but our network admin said he put the license already, and I don't
know much about server. How can I check the licensing?

Thank you for responding.

Vera Noest [MVP]

Sep 13, 2007, 4:06:57 PM9/13/07
Regarding licensing, you wrote that you see this entry in the TS
Licensing Manager:

> 2. Windows Server 2003 - Terminal Server Per User CAL Token
> When I clicked on it, on the right pane, I have only one
> row, with all columns say "Not Applicable"

That means that the TS Licensing Server has Per User licenses, and
since they are currently unmanaged, you cannot run out of them (so
the "Not Applicable" is by design). This is documented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

The only thing that could be wrong on your TS is the licensing
mode. Check in Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode.
But I believe that your server is configured with the correct Per
user licensing mode, otherwise you would see an entry for your
client under the Temporary Per Device TS CALs in the TS Licensing
Manager.

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uZXM=?= <Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote on 13 sep 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

Johannes

Sep 13, 2007, 9:56:01 PM9/13/07
From Terminal Services Configuration, Server Settings:
- License Server Discovery Mode = Automatic
When I double click on it, in the frame Automatically Discovered License
Servers:
- In Domain/Workgrou[p role: BLANK nothing here
- In Enterprise role: machine1.ourdomain.com

What should I do? The weird thing is user can connect to (use) the terminal
server, but I canNOT remote control any session. If I don't have CAL, will I
be able to do one but not the other? Btw, this terminal server is installed
less than 120 days ago, but we have other terminal servers installed since
last year that has the same problem. The Terminal Server Windows Server 2000
do NOT has this problem. I need to use Remote Control so I can help user with
problem running certain application, so they can show me the problem and they
can show me the steps that leads to the problem.

Maybe this has any useful clue to you. 2 responses ago from you, you point
me to Microsoft KB http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=824196. I
then tried to use llsmgr.exe, immediately I get the error "The License
Logging Service is not running on \\machine2.ourdomain.com, or
\\machine2.ourdomain.com is not accessible"
Notice that it said machine2, which is our logon server. Our license server
is on machine1.
The Terminal Server Windows Server 2000, I mentioned above that does not
have the remote control issue, does not give this error on runnign llsmgr.exe.

Vera Noest [MVP]

Sep 14, 2007, 9:02:20 AM9/14/07
From everything that you have posted, I would say the you do *not*
have a problem with TS Licensing. But you never answered what the
licensing mode of the TS is, is it per user or per device?
The licensing *discovery* mode seems fine, the TS autodetects the
LS. You don't have to do anything there.

Note that the Licensing Logging Service has *nothing* to do with
Terminal Services Licensing!
Have you stopped and disabled the Licensing Logging mode on your
TS? That is still the most plausible reason to me, especially now
that you tell that it has been disabled on your logon server (as it
should).

If the above doesn't solve it, then I would have a look at the
permissions and policies regarding remote control. You can't always
rely on an error message to correctly identify the cause of the
problem.

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uZXM=?= <Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com>

Johannes

Sep 14, 2007, 10:06:04 AM9/14/07
Licensing Mode, I tried per device and per user and got same result.

As for License logging service, to be honest with you, I don't understand
what this is at all. I restarted the problematic terminal server machine
numerous time already. How do I restart the License logging mode, and on
what machine (terminal server or license server)?
Did you say that License Logging service is on the terminal server machine
(that I have problem with right now) instead of the Microsoft License server
(which is on our domain controller)?
Btw, you said that "... especially now that you tell ... disabled on your
logon server ...", did I say that? I don't know much about server
administration, I am a computer programmer.

Johannes

Sep 14, 2007, 10:08:06 AM9/14/07
Vera,
on the EventViewer, I don't see any error message regarding this problem.
I tried Remote Control many times and every time I check the EventViewer
before and after, the EventViewer is the same, no additional error message.
What other place can the error message go to?

Vera Noest [MVP]

Sep 14, 2007, 4:00:17 PM9/14/07
The function of the Licensing Logging Service is explained in the
KB article I referenced in my first reply:

824196 - Description of the License Logging Service in Windows
Server Operating Systems
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824196

In short: it exists on every server, it's function is to keep track
of Windows CALs (*not* Terminal Services CALs!), and it's buggy.
That's why you have to stop and disable it.
I can tell that it has been disabled on your DC, since you wrote:

> I tried to use llsmgr.exe, immediately I get the error "The

> License Logging Service is not running on
> \\machine2.ourdomain.com, or \\machine2.ourdomain.com is not
> accessible"

You can (and should) stop the Licensing Logging Service on your
Terminal Server. You do this in Start - Administrative tools -
Services. Stop the service first, then change the startup
parameters to "Disabled".

Don't change the licensing mode of *Terminal Services*! Since the
TS CALs installed on your TS Licensing Server are Per user TS CALs,
your TS has to use the "Per User" licensing mode!

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net

___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uZXM=?= <Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote on 14 sep 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

Johannes

Sep 14, 2007, 7:10:08 PM9/14/07
You are right, the license logging is set to disable. I didn't change it and
I leave it as it's (Disable).

So what should I do to enable Remote Control?

One more thing I found out. From Terminal Services Configuration, I click on
Connections > RDP-Tcp, on the Remote Control tab, everything is disable, I
cannot click on anything. I remembered it was not like this, maybe I changed
something I didn't know the effect of.

Vera Noest [MVP]

Sep 15, 2007, 5:58:37 AM9/15/07
Now we're getting close!
Greyed out settings on the Remote Control tab in the rdp-tcp
properties simply mean that there is a Group Policy which prohibits
remote Control.
Check all GPOs which affect your Terminal Server. Run RSoP
(Resultant Set of Policies) to see which GPOs apply.

You'll find the setting in:

Computer Configuration - Administrative templates - Windows
Components - Terminal Services
"Sets rules for remote control of Terminal Services user sessions"

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uZXM=?= <Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote on 15 sep 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

Johannes

Sep 15, 2007, 3:54:01 PM9/15/07
Here are the results.

I run rsop.msc on the troubled terminal server:
- "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative templates" > "Windows
Components" > "Terminal Services" > "Sets rules for remote control of
Terminal Services user sessions", State is Enabled and GPO Name is "Local
Group Policy". When I double clicked on this entry everything is greyed out.
Btw, under Terminal Services, "Sets rules ..." is the only setting available.
- The same thing is under "User Configuration" > "Administrative templates"
> "Windows Components" > "Terminal Services" > "Sets rules for remote control

of Terminal Services user sessions"

On the troubled Terminal Server, I then executed gpedit.msc:
- "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative templates" > "Windows
Components" > "Terminal Services" > "Sets rules for remote control of
Terminal Services user sessions" has the State Enable, when I double clicked
on it, "Enabled" is selected with Options "Full Control without user's
permission".
- Exact same value and settings for "User Configuration" > "Administrative
templates" > "Windows Components" > "Terminal Services" > "Sets rules for

remote control of Terminal Services user sessions"

Remote Control still does not work. How should I proceed?

Vera Noest [MVP]

Sep 16, 2007, 5:56:51 AM9/16/07
I don't know how to continue, something seems not right with your
GPO's.

In TSCC, Remote Control is Disabled and greyed out, and that must
mean that there's a policy which disables Remote Control. I don't
know why you don't see it in RSoP.

It seems to me that the problem has nothing to do with TS as such, to
me it looks like a GPO problem. I'd post in the GPO newsgroup,
hopefully there's someone there who can help you better:

microsoft.public.windows.group_policy

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net

___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oYW5uZXM=?= <Joha...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote on 15 sep 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

> Here are the results.

Johannes

Sep 16, 2007, 1:06:02 PM9/16/07

Lance

Sep 20, 2007, 4:56:01 PM9/20/07
I'm having the same issue, My options are grayed out under Remote Control,
but thats because I have Use remote control with default user settings
selected (which is what I want and it doesn't matter, I've tried to change
this option). Anyway, I have another TS server that I am replacing with this
one, I have all the settings identical, policies identical etc, using the
same licensing server. The old server works just fine, but this server for
some reason will not work. If I try to remote control from the old server to
the new I get the same message.

The only notable differences are the new server is R2 with SP2 and the old
server is just SP1, but both have all other updates installed. This thread
is the only information I can find anywhere relating to this error. I really
don't want to completely redo the server yet again, any help would be
appreciated.

Miroslav Senkerik

Mar 2, 2012, 5:04:54 AM3/2/12
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Have you already resolved it ?