Enumerate RDS servers in a domain

Warren Simondson

Apr 2, 2013, 8:57:59 PM4/2/13
Once we easily used the WTSEnumerateServers Function to enumerate the list of RDS/ TS server in a domain. It was quick and easy and required little brain power.

After Windows 2008 and above, the WTSEnumerateServers Function stopped working because the WTSEnumerateServers function relies on NETBIOS to be functional in the domain, meaning that the Domain controller/s needs to have the computer browser service running for NETBIOS to be active. Windows 2008 server and above disables the computer browser service on the DC by default now, so NetBIOS is rendered useless. Enabling the computer browser service on the DC only will return full functionality of the WTSAPI functions.

For the record as well, those who use the NETSERVEREnum function to do the same as WTSEnumerateServers, this also requires the Computer Browser Service to be enabled on a Windows 2008 DC.

My question is, since NETBIOS is fading away and I don't want to turn on the computer browser service on the DC now Windows 2012 server is upon us, how can I enumerate RDS servers in a domain using c++ or c#? I know I can use PowerShell to achieve enumeration in RDS, but I'm looking for an API function or similar to achieve what WTSEnumerateServers did. Any examples or suggestions would be very welcome.

thank you

wasif...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2013, 1:13:59 PM11/22/13
Did you find an answer to the above question? If yes, can you please share.

Regards,
Wasif Ehsan.