Moving vertical scrollbars from Right to Left Side of Windows

1 view

mjmattson

Jun 17, 2004, 5:09:02 PM6/17/04

Will it ever be possible to shift the vertical scroll bar from the
right side of the browser window (and all windows for that matter) to
the left for those of us that are left handed? It just feels awkward
having to cross my line of sight to scroll when using a tablet PC and
stylus.

Thank you,
Matt

Chris H.

Jun 17, 2004, 5:26:47 PM6/17/04
No, sorry, Matt. While it is something which has been considered by
Microsoft - and actually done to a fashion - for a long time, the cost to
third-party software companies to write the capabilities is prohibitive.
The problem is the operating system itself (first Win9x and the NT line) is
dedicated to the one way. Things are coming around, though, with individual
programs such as OneNote, where the folders can be moved to the left from
the right. Unfortunately, we probably won't see major changes in this area
until the Longhorn operating system.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"mjmattson" <mjma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

mjmattson

Jun 17, 2004, 5:58:01 PM6/17/04
This is a feature that I really feel *needs* to be incorporated into Windows for usability. Thank you for the information though. Please pass on a request for this functionality to the MS team.

Matt

terri

Jun 17, 2004, 6:48:23 PM6/17/04
Believe me, MS knows and is working on it. Making it backwards compatible
is prohibitive. Look for more of that type of functionality in future
Microsoft operating systems.

--
Terri Stratton
Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC

"mjmattson" <mjma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Josh Einstein

Jun 17, 2004, 7:08:28 PM6/17/04
In Internet Explorer, click the View Menu -> Encoding -> Right to Left
Document.

It messes up the way some things look unfortunately, and it has to be set
for each page. Web designers can apply this to individual DIV's too which
Spencer Goad has done on his web site (www.tabletpcbuzz.com) so if you wanna
check that out, go into the profile after you've become a member and change
your handedness to left handed.

So the ability is technically there. It's just a matter of changing the base
controls. I can't forsee any major impact this would have on existing
applications so if it's a very necessary feature, MS should be able to
easily implement it.

--
Josh Einstein
Einstein Technologies

terri

Jun 17, 2004, 7:35:06 PM6/17/04
It's not easily implemented, as Microsoft has stated many times. It will
work in applications or sites that are built from the ground up, but it
would be almost impossible to make it backwards compatible with all the
programs that are already out there.

--
Terri Stratton
Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC
http://thetabletpc.net
Expert Zone - http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/default.asp

"Josh Einstein" <joshei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jun 17, 2004, 8:22:13 PM6/17/04
Josh, as Terri has said, and I tried to impart in my response, Microsoft has
dealt with this issue for years. Bill Gates is left-handed. An example is
Microsoft can set this up for $50,000 investment for research, development
and adjustments on its current programs and operating systems.

The other software companies around the world would need to spend millions
or billions of dollars to revamp/rewrite their software to comply.

Guess what the prudent approach is Microsoft has chosen to take until the
Longhorn timeframe?

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

Josh Einstein

Jun 17, 2004, 9:12:47 PM6/17/04
That's not true. Things like multiline text boxes and html pages have
scrollbars by default. Developers don't do anything special to create them.

If the operating system simply rendered them on the left, the developer
wouldn't have to do anything differently. If you can give me an example of
something that would break, I will admit I'm wrong.

Take a look at the IE menu I described. If they can draw a scrollbar on the
left when I click a menu, then why not always?

--
Josh Einstein
Einstein Technologies

Add ink input to Outlook with Tablet Enhancements for Outlook! Only $19.99!
http://www.einsteinware.com

"Chris H." <winx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

mjmattson

Jun 17, 2004, 9:15:01 PM6/17/04
I figured with Bill Gates being left-handed this would have been something looked at. I can wait until LongHorn...just wondered if it had been looked at.

I appreciate all the information provided.

Mike Williams [MVP]

Jun 17, 2004, 9:30:52 PM6/17/04

>I figured with Bill Gates being left-handed this would have been something
>looked at. I can wait until LongHorn...just wondered if it had been looked
>at.
>
> I appreciate all the information provided.

A larger-than-average proportion of the Tablet architects is left-handed and
this discussion has been had since the very earliest days. There also some
problems with legacy code in some of the standard Windows libraries that
don't produce very good menu flyout behaviour when switched to left-hand
user behaviour.

Windows does support switching scroll-bars over for Arabic and Hebrew
systems, but many third-party Win32 applications that are untested in these
scenarios will crash.

Chris H.

Jun 17, 2004, 9:32:40 PM6/17/04
Josh, I won't debate with you what Microsoft developers have said. Certain
programs can do certain things, like I pointed out with OneNote currently
(SP1 form), but the entire operating system is another issue.

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Josh Einstein" <joshei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Josh Einstein

Jun 17, 2004, 9:47:33 PM6/17/04
Okay that's respectable. But then I won't admit I am wrong. :) I will try to
get a technical explanation of this issue from the MS guys then, because as
a windows developer, I see no reason why this is not possible. Scrollbars
are nonclient areas which means the OS is responsible for creating them.
Just as apps aren't affected by XP skinning them, so should they not be
affected by orientation change.

--
Josh Einstein
Einstein Technologies
Add ink input to Outlook with Tablet Enhancements for Outlook! Only $19.99!
http://www.einsteinware.com

"Chris H." <winx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jun 17, 2004, 10:18:34 PM6/17/04
Read Mike Williams post, Josh. Believe me, we've gone over this many years
ago, and until we have an operating system built from the ground up - one
that doesn't depend on legacy items - we're stuck with what we've got. I've
got a lefty daughter, and she copes just fine. It could be easier for her,
but with the discussions I've been part of over the years it isn't
economically feasible with the current OS.

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Josh Einstein" <joshei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Josh Einstein

Josh Einstein

Chris H.

Jun 17, 2004, 11:07:20 PM6/17/04
Go ahead, Josh. Don't you believe Microsoft would have done it already if
it had been feasible?

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Josh Einstein" <joshei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sahil Malik

Jun 18, 2004, 1:28:16 AM6/18/04
The problem is deeper than just existing applications, it's downright Win32
API that hasn't changed (much) since Win 3.1. APIs like PointToClient, and
PointToScreen get confused by scrollbars, scrollbar positions get lost by
panels on a windows app, there is so much mapping going on to keep the
scrollbar firmly stuck to the right hand side and the bottom side that it is
near impossible to switch it otherwise.

To appreciate this, create a simple application, put a panel on it, with
autoscroll, few other resizable autoscrollable child controls and resize the
whole thing, and see how much code you have to write yourself to make
everything work seamlessly.

Now think of Microsoft's job to write all that in C++/assembly, rather
modify Win32 API code written by people some of whom may already be dead. ..

.... bottom line .. it ain't easy.

Speaking of Right to Left Languages, thats a small enough audience who will
put up with a few pages not working optimal for being able to work in Right
to Left. You cannot apply the same argument to English - for 4% of lefties,
it isn't sensible to break every single app for the rest of the 96% .. thats
why :)

- Sahil Malik
Independent Consultant
You can reach me thru my blog at -
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik/

"Mike Williams [MVP]" <mikew@Nospam]mvps.org> wrote in message

Smartikat

Jun 18, 2004, 2:35:11 PM6/18/04
Josh,

You must be a Young programmer (No offense intended). I remember to good
old days that everything's possible, including writing an OS from scratch
:-) But understand that, although it is technically possible, sometimes, it
is not financially possible or feasible.

The scrollbar, which like the "Button" is part of the OS. Any change to it
will require a change in the API. In this case, MS will have to add a new
Property to the scrollbar class to state it's location (left or right).
There are a few problems come to mind already:
1) A change like this, will require a new system DLL be distributed to all
users. i.e. Can only be done with new OS or Service pack. There was just
an article out there saying it is going to cost quite a bit of money to
distribute XP SP2 (not the development cost!)
2) If it is distributed as a Service Pack, you risk user who didn't
upgrade...
3) Since it is a change in the Scrollbar class, the length/size of the
class is different from the previous version. i.e. Almost all existing
Apps compiled against the old system DLL will have to RECOMPILED. The class
entry points, function entry points are all different now. i.e. No old
Apps can easily run on the new system patched with the new DLL (again, it is
possible for MS to do some magic tricks to address this, but not easy).
4) Now, think about No 2 again... Supposed all vendors recompiled their
apps, but all of a sudden, a user tries to run apps under old DLL. You face
the same problem of this app might try to look for the DLL entry point at
the wrong place.

To summarize, "Welcome to DLL Hell" :-)

"Josh Einstein" <joshei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Josh Einstein

Jun 18, 2004, 5:22:27 PM6/18/04
Thanks for insulting me. :)

I'm young, but I am not by any means new to software development. My
argument was not that changes to the API would require recompilation to take
advantage of the features. I know what version changes are like.

However, when you create a multiline textbox, or (an even simpler example)
when you create an HTML application or web page that uses IE as the
container, you simply request the presence of a scroll bar. You are not
responsible for creating that scroll bar nor does your application need to
know anything about the location of the scroll bar. That's the operating
system's job of drawing.

Someone mentioned PointToClient and ClientToScreen needing to be changed. Of
course they'd need to be changed, but that's part of the OS implementing it.
My argument was not that it wouldn't require changes to several API's,
rather that these changes should be able to be transparent to existing
applications. That's the whole reason PointToClient and ClientToScreen were
created, because you aren't supposed to know what's outside of your client
area or how your client area relates to the screen -- that's the OS's job.

So let me play devil's advocate here. Let's say I am wrong about the Win32
API (not saying I am or am not wrong, just have not yet heard anything that
makes me think it's not possible to do transparently). Why can't Internet
Explorer easily have a left hand scroll bar option? Web pages are not
dependent on the scroll bar being on the right.

Granted, you won't be able to catch custom scroll bar implementations
(flash, java, etc) but your OS-supplied scroll bars (such as on listboxes,
multiline text boxes) and your browser-supplied scroll bars (scrollable
DIV's, BODY, frames, etc) should be able to be relocated with minimal
application changes.

I can see I'm outnumbered here so I'll stop wasting space on Microsoft's
servers. I just still don't see what requires a recompilation.

--
Josh Einstein
Einstein Technologies
Add ink input to Outlook with Tablet Enhancements for Outlook! Only $19.99!
http://www.einsteinware.com

"Smartikat" <wonga@_SMARTIKAT_MossMotors.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jun 18, 2004, 5:34:37 PM6/18/04
Josh, it isn't that you're wasting anyone's time. It is time well spent to
learn. However, believe me as I and others have attempted to inform you,
Microsoft looked into these possibilities years ago and spent a whole lot of
development dollars in doing so.

What you're saying certainly can be done, and has been done in the labs.
However, the affect and requirements on all the other software companies in
the world is too costly to implement.

Look for changes in the Longhorn operating system. That's when the "basics"
will probably be put in place, since the OS is being built from the ground
up unfettered by the Win9x and NT legacy.

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Josh Einstein" <joshei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Rich

Jun 18, 2004, 6:36:01 PM6/18/04
I might not have chosen the best place to post this issue/question, but this discussion seems similar enough to my question that I'll risk a little a bit of harassment to spin this in a slightly different direction.

I've had my tablet for a whole 5 days now - a Motion M1400 - and I am really excited to incorporate it into my work habits. I've installed the latest SR2 beta, with which I imediately appreciated the improvements in the OS.

But like the the thread originator, I do find it frustrating to have things under my hand that I have to constantly move to see. In my case, I'm right-handed, but the menus that constantly open to the right (immediately under my hand) or the tool tips (I think that's what they're called - the little identifiers that appear when you hover over an icon) that always appear below and to the right of the cusor ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!

Ok, not quite nuts. but it is certainly annoying.

Isn't there a way to move the Start button to the right-hand side of the screen, and have all menus open to the left? (I've tried putting the whole bar on the right-hand side of the screen, but I still have menus that want to open to the right) Same with the tool tips - anyway to control their position when they appear? Upper left for righties and upper left for lefties would be preferrable to what we have today?

Isn't that controllable in the OS?

mjmattson

Jun 18, 2004, 6:58:01 PM6/18/04
My point exactly. It seems that this might be implemented with the Lonestar OS, but not now. It would really help usability.

Matt

Mike Williams [MVP]

Jun 18, 2004, 7:53:04 PM6/18/04

> My point exactly. It seems that this might be implemented with the
> Lonestar OS, but not now. It would really help usability.

Lonestar is a small service-pack level adjustment to XP, not a new OS.

Sahil Malik

Jun 19, 2004, 12:12:22 AM6/19/04
Josh,

The people on these newsgroups are probably the best you will ever find. As
long as your discussion is even remotely connected to what is pertinent, it
is not wasting anyone's time, and nobody's insulting anyone. That is the
good thing about these newsgroups - High Quality, Low Ego ..

Right Chris? :)

- SM

"Chris H." <winx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jun 19, 2004, 12:47:19 AM6/19/04
Exactly. A few of us have been down certain roads before. 8-)

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Sahil Malik" <contactme...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jun 19, 2004, 12:54:03 AM6/19/04
Rich, so little pop-up things can be turned off completely if you wish but I
think you'll get used to them after a while. As for the tooltips popping
up, it depends on how you approach them and where they're located. While
you're getting adjusted, if you haven't played much with Windows XP Pro
before, there are things you can do to make the system very accommodating.
One of the things I do on my Tablet is unlock the Taskbar and then drag it
to the left side of the screen (Landscape or Portrait) so it is out of my
way most of the time. I'm right-handed, and having it on the left while
using Auto Hide means it doesn't open until I approach it.

Since you've installed the Tablet PC Edition 2005 (the superset which is all
Tablet) with XP Service Pack 2 RC2, you should play with the Options in the
new Tablet Input Panel, too. If you undock it, you'll have a little
"floating TIP" which will appear for you when you're in a text entry point.
From there, you'll have three options for entering information - Writing
Pad, Character Pad and Onscreen Keyboard.

Most of all, enjoy your new machine!

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Rich" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rich

Jun 19, 2004, 1:58:01 AM6/19/04
Chris - thanks for the response. It's great to know there is somewhere where users can be heard and gain responses and insights.

That said, I have tried your suggestion of dragging the Taksbar to the side. In my original post, I lamented on the inability to set menus so that they would open to the left. Even dragging the Taskbar to the right side still keeps many of the sub-menus appearing to the right, and therefore under my hand. Tool tips as well always appear slightly below and to the right of the icon - again, exactly the wrong place for a right-hander.

As a right-hander, I'd ideally like the "flop" the current arrangement of the Taskbar by placing the Start button in the far right lower corner, and having an option to force menus to open to the left whenever possible. It's a lot easier to slightly extend the pen in your hand to the left (as a righty), than to have to move your hand entirely to read the menus and then make your selection. I find that being forced to move my hand also causes the sub-menus that appear to sometimes close because the cursor moves off them, forcing me to go back and open the menu again.

I realize that these are partly the impressions of a novice (to the tablet world at least) user. I know I'll get more comfortable with it over time. But I've laso had a computer of one sort or another for about 20 years now, so this isn't my first time to the rodeo.

Somewhere in the dungeons of MS, someone knows all this already. I just hope they're listening and working on making these type of things adjustable to user preferences. The Tablet brings in a whole new set of user issues - these have been some that are annoying me so far.

Rich

Chris H.

Jun 19, 2004, 2:04:23 AM6/19/04
Rich, you might want to look in Control Panel/Tablet and Pen
Settings/Settings tab. You can move the Menu location (not the stupid
tooltips). 8-)

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Rich" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tito

Jun 23, 2004, 1:51:00 PM6/23/04
You're definitely correct in some regard, Josh. For non-client scrollbars,
an app *probably* wouldn't need to be recompiled to get left scrollbars (I
can outline cases where it would be needed, but I'm agreeing with you that
it's typically handled entirely by the OS). However, that's only about 40%
of the cases of where scrollbars appear. Office, many MFC and .NET apps,
among many others, explicitly lay out their scrollbars via a client
scrollbar control. IE doesn't even use real scrollbars; to get HTML
stylesheet functionality and advanced layout they implemented their own.
This is absolutely an unsolvable problem without involving ISVs, well,
unsolvable in a practical sense. That said, I heard that work is being done
in Longhorn to introduce a system setting ISVs can use along with automagic
non-client scrollbar switching.

bengreen

Sep 9, 2004, 8:01:12 PM9/9/04
In the absence of an OS level change, does anyone know of some utilities
which at least switch the scroll bar for commonly used apps such as Outlook,
Word and Excel?

"terri" wrote:

> Believe me, MS knows and is working on it. Making it backwards compatible
> is prohibitive. Look for more of that type of functionality in future
> Microsoft operating systems.

> --
> Terri Stratton
> Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC
> http://thetabletpc.net
> Expert Zone - http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/default.asp
>

> "mjmattson" <mjma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > This is a feature that I really feel *needs* to be incorporated into
> > Windows for usability. Thank you for the information though. Please pass
> > on a request for this functionality to the MS team.
> >
> > Matt
> >

> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> No, sorry, Matt. While it is something which has been considered by
> >> Microsoft - and actually done to a fashion - for a long time, the cost to
> >> third-party software companies to write the capabilities is prohibitive.
> >> The problem is the operating system itself (first Win9x and the NT line)
> >> is
> >> dedicated to the one way. Things are coming around, though, with
> >> individual
> >> programs such as OneNote, where the folders can be moved to the left from
> >> the right. Unfortunately, we probably won't see major changes in this
> >> area
> >> until the Longhorn operating system.

> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Josh Einstein

Debbie

Dec 5, 2004, 10:05:03 PM12/5/04
I know this thread is six months old, but I am left-handed, also. I was
searching for some solutions for left-handed tablet users.

Couldn't someone create a skin that would have a scroll bar on the left-hand
side of the screen? Then the operating system wouldn't have to be changed at
all. Is there such a thing out there and I just am not aware of it?

Debbie

Chris H.

Dec 5, 2004, 11:54:20 PM12/5/04
Those controls are within the operating system, except in programs (like
OneNote and GoBinder, for examples) where the program itself offers the
changes. I look for overall, system wide flexibility coming in the Longhorn
operating system, but until then we need to do the best we can with what is
given us.

Remember, setting "handedness" on a Tablet PC can accomplish certain things,
like where the drop-down menu items appear, and you certainly can put the
Taskbar on any side of your screen you wish. I'm right-handed, but prefer
to have the Taskbar on the left side of the screen - even on a desktop.

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Debbie" <Deb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mike Williams [MVP]

Dec 6, 2004, 1:55:53 AM12/6/04
to Debbie
Debbie wrote:
> I know this thread is six months old, but I am left-handed, also. I was
> searching for some solutions for left-handed tablet users.

Then you'll have read that nothing is likely to be coming out prior to
the next major release of Windows (code-name Longhorn).

> Couldn't someone create a skin that would have a scroll bar on the left-hand
> side of the screen? Then the operating system wouldn't have to be changed at
> all. Is there such a thing out there and I just am not aware of it?

Skins work per-application. While Windows supports left-hand scrollbars
for running in Middle-Eastern contexts, a lot of software written by
third-parties isn't tested properly (heck a lot of it is diabolical when
the settings are simply non-US!!) and crashes/misbehaves.

Debbie

Dec 6, 2004, 8:09:03 PM12/6/04
Thanks again, Chris.

When can we expect Longhorn?

Debbie

Chris H.

Dec 6, 2004, 8:18:02 PM12/6/04
I believe the beta will officially start in 2005, so the release will
probably be 2006. Remember, that's unofficial. Microsoft hasn't announced
any schedule yet. There were some early releases (not very stable)
available at a couple trade shows last year and via the Microsoft Developer
Network (MSDN), but certainly not at all addressing Tablet PC functionality.

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Debbie" <Deb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

handed@discussions.microsoft.com left handed

Jul 18, 2006, 2:29:01 PM7/18/06
So the last post on this thread was two years ago. Any progress to report
upon to give us lefties hope?

Mike Williams

Jul 18, 2006, 3:39:10 PM7/18/06
to left handed
left handed wrote:
> So the last post on this thread was two years ago. Any progress to report
> upon to give us lefties hope?

Nothing visible in Vista.

Chris H.

Jul 18, 2006, 4:24:09 PM7/18/06
No. None at all, including the new Vista setup. Sorry.

--

"left handed" <left han...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message