Problem with Journal Note Writer

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Sep 2, 2007, 9:19:08 AM9/2/07
Hi folks! I've looked for some help on the microsoft website and can't find
anything... maybe someone here will have an insight:

I do not have the windows journal writer "printer". I've tried repairing it
according to the Knowledge Base instructions, and here's the error message
that I get:

---------------------------
Windows Journal
---------------------------
Windows Journal cannot open "repairnotewriter".

The specified file or folder was not found. It may have been deleted,
renamed, or may be temporarily unavailable. Make sure the disk is in the
drive or the computer is connected to the network and try again.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? Is there a way to
re-download and reinstall Windows Journal? I know I personally have never
remoced anything pertaining to Journal, so I have no idea... :-)

Thanks in advance!

Carmen

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Sep 2, 2007, 5:45:36 PM9/2/07
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824385 <<

"cannot open..."

That looks like you might not be typing the command correctly... the
error message indicates that it's trying to open the file and the
command line in the kb is a "Switch"

confirm that you are;

in the cmd window

have "cd'd" to the windows journal directory

and typed the command exactly as

journal.exe /repairnotewriter

notice that it is a "forward slash"

report back...

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Sep 2, 2007, 7:00:32 PM9/2/07
Got it Beverly, thanks! I think I hadn't inserted a space last time before
the forward slash.

C.

message news:OCQ2Zqa7...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Sep 2, 2007, 7:19:10 PM9/2/07
This has been a good exercise in how journal needs to be maintained.

Congrats,

Tom

Oct 9, 2007, 2:14:03 PM10/9/07
What must you do to restore this when using Vista?
--
Tom in South Dakota

Tom

Oct 9, 2007, 2:13:02 PM10/9/07

Tom in South Dakota

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Oct 9, 2007, 2:24:06 PM10/9/07
>> What must you do to restore this when using Vista? <<

This is not an os version specific process... you are executing the
journal app itself in repair/reinstall mode.

If you try it (the same steps) under vista and it doesn't execute then
it is probably a vista rights issue.

undisclosed

Oct 29, 2009, 12:12:22 PM10/29/09

Executing this command results in successful installation/repair of the
note writer printer driver, but there is a Finished dialog that appears.
Is there a way to perform this installation silently, so no dialog
appears?

--
rhyswynn

b.hen...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 3:44:45 AM9/30/16
Hello,

My work computer was re-imaged on 27 Sep 2016 with Windows 10 Enterprise. In this newest version of Windows, Journal is no longer included as part of the OS. One can, however, download Journal from the MS web site. However, if the version to download, the Journal Note Writer printer is not included.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have personal computers with earlier versions of Windows 10, and for them Journal was included in the OS. Upon first run, one was given the opportunity to install the printer driver. Has anyone tried to copy that version of Journal on a machine running the newest version of Windows 10?

Thanks,
Beth