Samsung Q1B UMPC - firmware upgrade to up RAM max to 2GB?

apl

Aug 24, 2013, 12:29:37 PM8/24/13
I have a Samsung Q1B
http://www.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-q1b-c7-m/4505-3121_7-32067033.html

which with the base 512MB was slow as molasses in January, but now seems to be a decent portable little XP box after I followed these directions to upgrade the memory to 1 GB:

http://gigaom.com/2006/06/08/samsung_q1_goes/

I also have a 2 GB module of the same type & would like to move into this PC if I could. However, the machine doesn't turn on with the 2GB module plugged in (no BIOS screen, just black). Any hope?

(The 2GB module works fine in a HP Mini 1000, which, despite the extra RAM, an upgraded HDD & a fresh XP install, is so slow I have relegated it to being a print server.)

I checked the Q1B's BIOS version and per Samsung's site, it is the newest (03EA). However I thought I saw a page describing 2GB working with a 3.0 firmware upgrade. I don't know if 03EA is the same version, if the page I saw was about a newer model & my eyes just saw what they wanted to see (it was late), or maybe there was a typo on the page (not finding it on Google today).

So anyway I thought it can't hurt to ask if there is a newer firmware for the Q1b would let it work with 2GB.

PS has anyone gotten it working with Win7 or Win8?

Auric__

Aug 24, 2013, 3:44:18 PM8/24/13
apl wrote:

> I also have a 2 GB module of the same type & would like to move into
> this PC if I could. However, the machine doesn't turn on with the 2GB
> module plugged in (no BIOS screen, just black). Any hope?
>
> (The 2GB module works fine in a HP Mini 1000, which, despite the extra
> RAM, an upgraded HDD & a fresh XP install, is so slow I have relegated
> it to being a print server.)

I'm guessing the BIOS doesn't support that much RAM.

--
I'm not asking for sympathy,
I'm hyping myself up to rob a house tonight.