Major problem initializing inking components -- Please help...

E. Harris@discussions.microsoft.com Marcus E. Harris

Mar 30, 2008, 5:23:02 PM3/30/08
Hello,

Every time I try starting Windows Journal on my tablet PC I get the
following error dialog:

"Windows Journal cannot start.

There was an error initializing inking components. If this problem persists
after restarting, contact your system administrator."

My machine is a Gateway M280 tablet PC running MS Windows XP Tablet PC
Edition 2005 (Version 2002, Service Pack 2), and the device has 1GB of RAM.

MS Windows XP came pre-installed on the machine, so I don't have the
original O/S CDs (made it really hard to run 'sfc /scannow' with any success
to try and re-install the DLLs without completely re-installing the O/S).

What can/should I do to address this problem? Any/all help is greatly
appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Marcus E. Harris

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Mar 30, 2008, 9:35:12 PM3/30/08
Don't think this will work, but suggest trying
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824385>

essentially, drop to command line, change to the journal exe directory
and issue the command;

journal.exe /repairnotewriter

If not, it means the tablet functionality has been lost... did you run
an oprobably s upgrade or repair?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

Mar 30, 2008, 9:44:06 PM3/30/08
sorry... should have read;

If not, it probably means the tablet functionality has been lost... did
you run an os upgrade or repair?

warre...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2013, 12:10:47 PM4/13/13
That particular fix won't work and will generate the same error. I have had a very similar problem but it happened after I would close an instance of Window's Journal (Windows 7 64 bit, Fujitsus tablet) and then try to retart another. I would have to reboot to get it to work again but with the same limitation. I have been able to fix the problem by stopping and then restarting the following services: TabletInputService and TabletServiceISD. Here's a code snippet that I have written in VB6 which does this as the problem has been recurrent. You can also do this in a command window. I hope it helps...Warren

Private Sub Form_Load()
Shell ("net stop TabletInputService")
Shell ("net stop TabletServiceISD")

Shell ("net start TabletInputService")