server won't update from WSUS and getting error 0x80070002

Peter Lawton

Apr 16, 2009, 3:36:10 AM4/16/09
I've got one server that's refusing to update from our WSUS server, all our
other servers are updating OK and this one updated a month ago fine.

In the WindowsUpdate.log I get the error "EEHndlr WARNING: Failed to
populate ServiceStartup entries in Cache: error 0x80070002"

If I run the WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool I get the error:-

"GetAUSettingsRegistry(false, TEXT("SusServerVersion"), &dwSusVersion)
failed
with hr=0x80070002
The system cannot find the file specified."

I've tried renaming the "%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\Repository" folder

I've tried renaming the "%WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution" folder

Anyone come across this before and knows how to fix it?

Thanks

Peter Lawton

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Apr 16, 2009, 4:26:58 PM4/16/09
"Peter Lawton" <DevNull@fakedomain> wrote in message

> I've got one server that's refusing to update from our WSUS server, all
> our
> other servers are updating OK and this one updated a month ago fine.
>
> In the WindowsUpdate.log I get the error "EEHndlr WARNING: Failed to
> populate ServiceStartup entries in Cache: error 0x80070002"

Start here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956708

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Peter Lawton

Apr 20, 2009, 4:20:36 AM4/20/09

That didn't fix it unfortunately but I found the answer here:-

http://blogs.technet.com/emeasetup/archive/2009/03/17/eehndlr-warning-failed-to-populate-servicestartup-entries-in-cache-error-0x80070002.aspx

I needed to delete the registry key:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Setup\ServiceStartup

Peter Lawton

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <lawr...@news.postalias> wrote in message

geeksa...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 6:03:22 PM5/27/19