GetFileVersion(szEngineDir,&susVersion) failed with hr=0x80070002

32192 views
Skip to first unread message

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 2, 2009, 4:56:32 PM7/2/09
to

Need suggestions for the following;

------------

Two brand new Server 2008 SP2 64 bit servers group policy configured to a
wsus 3.0 sp1 working fine for other 2003 servers and XP clients. Both 2008
servers fail to report and client diag gives;

WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool

Checking Machine State
Checking for admin rights to run tool . . . . . . . . . PASS
Automatic Updates Service is running. . . . . . . . . . PASS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. . . PASS

GetFileVersion(szEngineDir,&susVersion) failed with hr=0x80070002

The system cannot find the file specified.


Windowsupdate.log shows;

2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 afc AU #############
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 afc AU ## START ## AU: Search for updates
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 afc AU #########
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 afc AU <<## SUBMITTED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {C5A31A1A-9835-43BA-B193-FD3F08FA787F}]
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Agent *************
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Agent *********
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Agent * Online = Yes; Ignore download
priority = No
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Agent * Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and
DeploymentAction='Installation' or IsPresent=1 and
DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' or IsInstalled=1 and
DeploymentAction='Installation' and RebootRequired=1 or IsInstalled=0 and
DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' and RebootRequired=1"
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Agent * ServiceID =
{3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Setup Checking for agent SelfUpdate
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Setup Client version: Core: 7.0.6002.18005
Aux: 7.0.6002.18005
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:770 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
SendRequestToServerForFileInformation failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Misc WARNING: WinHttp:
ShouldFileBeDownloaded failed with 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed
for http://140.198.144.54/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error 0x80190193
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Setup WARNING: SelfUpdate check failed to
download package information, error = 0x80244018
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Setup FATAL: SelfUpdate check failed, err =
0x80244018
2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Agent * WARNING: Skipping scan,
self-update check returned 0x80244018
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 d64 Agent * WARNING: Exit code = 0x80244018
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 d64 Agent *********
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 d64 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 d64 Agent *************
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 d64 Agent WARNING: WU client failed Searching
for update with error 0x80244018
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 ff4 AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {C5A31A1A-9835-43BA-B193-FD3F08FA787F}]
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 ff4 AU # WARNING: Search callback failed,
result = 0x80244018
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 ff4 AU # WARNING: Failed to find updates with
error code 80244018
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 ff4 AU #########
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 ff4 AU ## END ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {C5A31A1A-9835-43BA-B193-FD3F08FA787F}]
2009-07-02 10:11:26:004 316 ff4 AU #############

--
/kj


Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Jul 2, 2009, 6:41:57 PM7/2/09
to

"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23F3qVe1%23JHA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> Need suggestions for the following;
>
> ------------
>
> Two brand new Server 2008 SP2 64 bit servers group policy configured to a
> wsus 3.0 sp1 working fine for other 2003 servers and XP clients. Both 2008
> servers fail to report and client diag gives;

> 2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed

Have you configured the Windows 2008 firewall to permit egress for HTTP
(port 80)?

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 3, 2009, 1:50:35 AM7/3/09
to

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23F3qVe1%23JHA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>> Need suggestions for the following;
>>
>> ------------
>>
>> Two brand new Server 2008 SP2 64 bit servers group policy
>> configured to a wsus 3.0 sp1 working fine for other 2003 servers and
>> XP clients. Both 2008 servers fail to report and client diag gives;
>
>> 2009-07-02 10:11:25:786 316 d64 Misc WARNING: DownloadFileInternal
>> failed for http://140.198.144.54/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error
>> 0x80190193
>
> Have you configured the Windows 2008 firewall to permit egress for
> HTTP (port 80)?

Turned it off completely with no change Lawrence. I can run a portquery to
check connectivity as they are on different subnets and while there
shouldn't be any external firewall restrictions, it wouldn't surprise me.
May not be able to check this until next week.

--
/kj


Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Jul 3, 2009, 1:55:47 PM7/3/09
to

"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%233t5xI6%23JHA...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> I can run a portquery to check connectivity as they are on different
> subnets and while there shouldn't be any external firewall restrictions,
> it wouldn't surprise me.

We definitely need to explore this "different subnets" scenario. If they're
on different subnets then something has to be routing traffic between those
two subnets. Whatever it is, make sure it also does not have any
restrictions on HTTP(S) traffic.

> May not be able to check this until next week.

No problem. I'm here when you can get to it.

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 8, 2009, 1:07:19 PM7/8/09
to

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%233t5xI6%23JHA...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
>> I can run a portquery to check connectivity as they are on different
>> subnets and while there shouldn't be any external firewall
>> restrictions, it wouldn't surprise me.
>
> We definitely need to explore this "different subnets" scenario. If
> they're on different subnets then something has to be routing traffic
> between those two subnets. Whatever it is, make sure it also does not
> have any restrictions on HTTP(S) traffic.
>
>> May not be able to check this until next week.
>
> No problem. I'm here when you can get to it.

Sorry for the delay Lawrence. I finnaly got around to verify it. Ping,
portqry, and telnet confirm basic connectivity and TCP port 80 to the WSUS
server. One of these 2008 servers is running server core but the clientdiag
provides the same details.

----
querying...

TCP port 80 (http service): LISTENING


--
/kj


Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Jul 8, 2009, 5:15:54 PM7/8/09
to
"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ep1fP6%23$JHA....@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> Sorry for the delay Lawrence. I finnaly got around to verify it. Ping,
> portqry, and telnet confirm basic connectivity and TCP port 80 to the WSUS
> server. One of these 2008 servers is running server core but the
> clientdiag provides the same details.

Okay... first thing to clear up... I missed an important diagnostic point in
your original post:

> Two brand new Server 2008 SP2 64 bit servers group policy configured to a
> wsus 3.0 sp1 working fine for other 2003 servers and XP clients. Both 2008
> servers fail to report and client diag gives;

The Client Diagnostic Tool is a 32-bit only tool. The error you received on
these two servers:

> GetFileVersion(szEngineDir,&susVersion) failed with hr=0x80070002

is a manifestation of attempting to run this 32-bit tool on a 64-bit system.

Of course, I did focus on the WindowsUpdate.log errors, not the CDT error,
so our interest in identifying the cause of the HTTP 403 errors in the
logfile is still our primary interest.

> Ping, portqry, and telnet confirm basic connectivity and TCP port 80
> to the WSUS server. One of these 2008 servers is running server core

The other thing we need to keep in mind is that the WUAgent uses WinHTTP, so
many standard diagnostic methodologies may not show up issues exclusive to
WinHTTP.

Let's see what we get from the WinHTTP proxy configuration on the machine:

Please run this command: NETSH WINHTTP SHOW PROXY

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 8, 2009, 6:30:52 PM7/8/09
to
Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ep1fP6%23$JHA....@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>> Sorry for the delay Lawrence. I finnaly got around to verify it.
>> Ping, portqry, and telnet confirm basic connectivity and TCP port 80
>> to the WSUS server. One of these 2008 servers is running server core
>> but the clientdiag provides the same details.
>
> Okay... first thing to clear up... I missed an important diagnostic
> point in your original post:
>
>> Two brand new Server 2008 SP2 64 bit servers group policy
>> configured to a wsus 3.0 sp1 working fine for other 2003 servers and
>> XP clients. Both 2008 servers fail to report and client diag gives;
>
> The Client Diagnostic Tool is a 32-bit only tool. The error you
> received on these two servers:
>
>> GetFileVersion(szEngineDir,&susVersion) failed with hr=0x80070002
>
> is a manifestation of attempting to run this 32-bit tool on a 64-bit
> system.

Ah, good to know. (any expectation of a 64 bit version someday soon?)


> Of course, I did focus on the WindowsUpdate.log errors, not the CDT
> error, so our interest in identifying the cause of the HTTP 403
> errors in the logfile is still our primary interest.
>
>> Ping, portqry, and telnet confirm basic connectivity and TCP port 80
>> to the WSUS server. One of these 2008 servers is running server core
>
> The other thing we need to keep in mind is that the WUAgent uses
> WinHTTP, so many standard diagnostic methodologies may not show up
> issues exclusive to WinHTTP.
>
> Let's see what we get from the WinHTTP proxy configuration on the
> machine:
> Please run this command: NETSH WINHTTP SHOW PROXY

results below.

--

C:\Windows>NETSH WINHTTP SHOW PROXY

Current WinHTTP proxy settings:

Direct access (no proxy server).

--
/kj


Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Jul 8, 2009, 7:20:56 PM7/8/09
to
"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ORhZCvBA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

>>> GetFileVersion(szEngineDir,&susVersion) failed with hr=0x80070002
>>
>> is a manifestation of attempting to run this 32-bit tool on a 64-bit
>> system.
>
> Ah, good to know. (any expectation of a 64 bit version someday soon?)

I've suggested to TPTB that the tool needs to be distributed in a 64-bit
version.

We'll see . . .

>> Let's see what we get from the WinHTTP proxy configuration on the
>> machine:
>> Please run this command: NETSH WINHTTP SHOW PROXY
>
> results below.
>
> --
>
> C:\Windows>NETSH WINHTTP SHOW PROXY
>
> Current WinHTTP proxy settings:
>
> Direct access (no proxy server).

Okay.. so the machine (WinHTTP) is not configured to use a proxy server.

Have we confirmed that there are *no* proxy or proxy-like devices sitting
between this machine and the WSUS Server?

If you attempt to do a detection from this machine, what is logged in the
IIS logs of the WSUS Server?

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 8, 2009, 7:52:57 PM7/8/09
to

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ORhZCvBA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>>>> GetFileVersion(szEngineDir,&susVersion) failed with hr=0x80070002
>>>
>>> is a manifestation of attempting to run this 32-bit tool on a 64-bit
>>> system.
>>
>> Ah, good to know. (any expectation of a 64 bit version someday soon?)
>
> I've suggested to TPTB that the tool needs to be distributed in a
> 64-bit version.
>
> We'll see . . .
>
>>> Let's see what we get from the WinHTTP proxy configuration on the
>>> machine:
>>> Please run this command: NETSH WINHTTP SHOW PROXY
>>
>> results below.
>>
>> --
>>
>> C:\Windows>NETSH WINHTTP SHOW PROXY
>>
>> Current WinHTTP proxy settings:
>>
>> Direct access (no proxy server).
>
> Okay.. so the machine (WinHTTP) is not configured to use a proxy
> server.
> Have we confirmed that there are *no* proxy or proxy-like devices
> sitting between this machine and the WSUS Server?
>
> If you attempt to do a detection from this machine, what is logged in
> the IIS logs of the WSUS Server?

I don't see much, but then logging is at default level. (This is from one of
the trouble children but seems to be consistent with the rest)

--------


2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 HEAD /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 64
2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 GET /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 0
2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 HEAD /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 64
2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 GET /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 0
2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 HEAD /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 64
2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 GET /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 0
2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 HEAD /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 64
2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 GET /selfupdate/wuident.cab
0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 0

--
/kj


Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Jul 8, 2009, 9:37:11 PM7/8/09
to

"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ufK35cCA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> I don't see much, but then logging is at default level. (This is from one
> of the trouble children but seems to be consistent with the rest)

It's enough! :-)

> 2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 HEAD /selfupdate/wuident.cab
> 0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 64

Specifically, an HTTP 403.6 error... caused by a blocked IP source address.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248043 for more information.

Dave Mills

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 12:58:16 AM7/9/09
to

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 18:20:56 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<lawr...@news.postalias> wrote:

>"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:ORhZCvBA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>>>> GetFileVersion(szEngineDir,&susVersion) failed with hr=0x80070002
>>>
>>> is a manifestation of attempting to run this 32-bit tool on a 64-bit
>>> system.
>>
>> Ah, good to know. (any expectation of a 64 bit version someday soon?)
>
>I've suggested to TPTB that the tool needs to be distributed in a 64-bit
>version.
>
>We'll see . . .
>

And hopefully updates from WSUS 2 only.
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dave Mills

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 1:05:44 AM7/9/09
to
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 20:37:11 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<lawr...@news.postalias> wrote:

>"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:ufK35cCA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>> I don't see much, but then logging is at default level. (This is from one
>> of the trouble children but seems to be consistent with the rest)
>
>It's enough! :-)
>
>> 2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 HEAD /selfupdate/wuident.cab
>> 0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5 Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 64
>
>Specifically, an HTTP 403.6 error... caused by a blocked IP source address.
>
>See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248043 for more information.

Ah! Not allowing Localhost access to IIS maybe only the specific host IP.

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 12:27:16 PM7/9/09
to

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ufK35cCA...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>> I don't see much, but then logging is at default level. (This is
>> from one of the trouble children but seems to be consistent with the
>> rest)
>
> It's enough! :-)
>
>> 2009-06-29 22:43:32 W3SVC1 140.198.144.54 HEAD
>> /selfupdate/wuident.cab 0906292244 80 - 10.198.144.5
>> Windows-Update-Agent 403 6 64
>
> Specifically, an HTTP 403.6 error... caused by a blocked IP source
> address.
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248043 for more information.

That seems to be it. Waiting for them to report back. Thanks Lawrence.

Is there a connect bug / feedback for clientdiag x64? I'd be happy to vote
on it or open one.

--
/kj


Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 1:14:58 PM7/9/09
to

"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23B6jiIL...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> Is there a connect bug / feedback for clientdiag x64? I'd be happy to vote
> on it or open one.

There is not, to my knowledge.

I'm lobbying directly to the WSUS/WUA product team for two updates in the
product.

[1] 64-bit compilation
[2] updated awareness of the v7 WUAgent

Opening an issue in the WSUS3SP2 Connect Site, though, can't hurt.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 1:15:50 PM7/9/09
to

"Dave Mills" <Ne...@nospam--djmills-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
news:f5ua55pgp2jpje8pm...@4ax.com...

>>> Ah, good to know. (any expectation of a 64 bit version someday soon?)

>>I've suggested to TPTB that the tool needs to be distributed in a 64-bit
>>version.
>>
>>We'll see . . .

> And hopefully updates from WSUS 2 only.

Yes... v7.x WUAgent awareness was the #2 item on my list of needed
'updates'.

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 9, 2009, 5:00:13 PM7/9/09
to
Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23B6jiIL...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
>> Is there a connect bug / feedback for clientdiag x64? I'd be happy
>> to vote on it or open one.
>
> There is not, to my knowledge.
>
> I'm lobbying directly to the WSUS/WUA product team for two updates in
> the product.
>
> [1] 64-bit compilation
> [2] updated awareness of the v7 WUAgent
>
> Opening an issue in the WSUS3SP2 Connect Site, though, can't hurt.

Problem children in another subnet are begining to report up now - Thanks
for the help

64bit clientdiag 'suggestion' submitted;

FeedbackID=473579

Thanks again Lawrence.


--
/kj


Dave Mills

unread,
Jul 11, 2009, 2:36:01 AM7/11/09
to
What am I missing on Connect. I thought I would vote for this but although I can
download WSUS 3 RC2 when I click "Feedback" I just get taken to the Welcome
page.

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 14, 2009, 6:35:29 PM7/14/09
to
Dave Mills wrote:
> What am I missing on Connect. I thought I would vote for this but
> although I can download WSUS 3 RC2 when I click "Feedback" I just get
> taken to the Welcome page.

I hope I filed it on the right connect page;
https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=110

Under feedback and if you scroll down a ways you should see the submissions.
This is a little different than other connect product pages.

I think this will take you there direct.
https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=473579&SiteID=110


>
>
>
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:00:13 -0700, "kj [SBS MVP]"
> <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
>>> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:%23B6jiIL...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>>> Is there a connect bug / feedback for clientdiag x64? I'd be happy
>>>> to vote on it or open one.
>>>
>>> There is not, to my knowledge.
>>>
>>> I'm lobbying directly to the WSUS/WUA product team for two updates
>>> in the product.
>>>
>>> [1] 64-bit compilation
>>> [2] updated awareness of the v7 WUAgent
>>>
>>> Opening an issue in the WSUS3SP2 Connect Site, though, can't hurt.
>>
>> Problem children in another subnet are begining to report up now -
>> Thanks for the help
>>
>> 64bit clientdiag 'suggestion' submitted;
>>
>> FeedbackID=473579
>>
>> Thanks again Lawrence.

--
/kj


Dave Mills

unread,
Jul 15, 2009, 12:39:08 AM7/15/09
to
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:35:29 -0700, "kj [SBS MVP]"
<Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote:

>Dave Mills wrote:
>> What am I missing on Connect. I thought I would vote for this but
>> although I can download WSUS 3 RC2 when I click "Feedback" I just get
>> taken to the Welcome page.
>
>I hope I filed it on the right connect page;
>https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=110
>
>Under feedback and if you scroll down a ways you should see the submissions.
>This is a little different than other connect product pages.

Ta, It did not occur to me that the feedback page would be identical to the home
page except for the white space followed by the actual feedback stuff. Not a
brilliant page design in my opinion.

Supporting comment added but I don't see any voting system in the feedback page,
is this done via "rating"

>
>I think this will take you there direct.
>https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=473579&SiteID=110
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:00:13 -0700, "kj [SBS MVP]"
>> <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
>>>> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:%23B6jiIL...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>
>>>>> Is there a connect bug / feedback for clientdiag x64? I'd be happy
>>>>> to vote on it or open one.
>>>>
>>>> There is not, to my knowledge.
>>>>
>>>> I'm lobbying directly to the WSUS/WUA product team for two updates
>>>> in the product.
>>>>
>>>> [1] 64-bit compilation
>>>> [2] updated awareness of the v7 WUAgent
>>>>
>>>> Opening an issue in the WSUS3SP2 Connect Site, though, can't hurt.
>>>
>>> Problem children in another subnet are begining to report up now -
>>> Thanks for the help
>>>
>>> 64bit clientdiag 'suggestion' submitted;
>>>
>>> FeedbackID=473579
>>>
>>> Thanks again Lawrence.
--

kj [SBS MVP]

unread,
Jul 15, 2009, 8:27:57 PM7/15/09
to
Dave Mills wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:35:29 -0700, "kj [SBS MVP]"
> <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave Mills wrote:
>>> What am I missing on Connect. I thought I would vote for this but
>>> although I can download WSUS 3 RC2 when I click "Feedback" I just
>>> get taken to the Welcome page.
>>
>> I hope I filed it on the right connect page;
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=110
>>
>> Under feedback and if you scroll down a ways you should see the
>> submissions. This is a little different than other connect product
>> pages.
> Ta, It did not occur to me that the feedback page would be identical
> to the home page except for the white space followed by the actual
> feedback stuff. Not a brilliant page design in my opinion.
>
> Supporting comment added but I don't see any voting system in the
> feedback page, is this done via "rating"

It surprises me how many variances there are with the different product
groups and their connect pages.

I believe only the rating and validations are available for this
'suggestion' at present. Thanks for adding the comment.

>
>>
>> I think this will take you there direct.
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=473579&SiteID=110
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:00:13 -0700, "kj [SBS MVP]"
>>> <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
>>>>> "kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>> news:%23B6jiIL...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>>>
>>>>>> Is there a connect bug / feedback for clientdiag x64? I'd be
>>>>>> happy to vote on it or open one.
>>>>>
>>>>> There is not, to my knowledge.
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm lobbying directly to the WSUS/WUA product team for two updates
>>>>> in the product.
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] 64-bit compilation
>>>>> [2] updated awareness of the v7 WUAgent
>>>>>
>>>>> Opening an issue in the WSUS3SP2 Connect Site, though, can't hurt.
>>>>
>>>> Problem children in another subnet are begining to report up now -
>>>> Thanks for the help
>>>>
>>>> 64bit clientdiag 'suggestion' submitted;
>>>>
>>>> FeedbackID=473579
>>>>
>>>> Thanks again Lawrence.

--
/kj


Kalpesh

unread,
Aug 19, 2009, 5:53:01 AM8/19/09
to

Hi, Lawrence

Did u get any 64 bit clientdiag.exe tool which can be run in windows 2008
64 bit os ???


"Kalpesh" wrote:

>

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

unread,
Aug 20, 2009, 9:46:27 AM8/20/09
to
"Kalpesh" <Kal...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:735F4902-565C-4EF2...@microsoft.com...

>
> Hi, Lawrence
>
> Did u get any 64 bit clientdiag.exe tool which can be run in windows 2008
> 64 bit os ???

Not yet... and no indication that one will be produced.


--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)

My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

bbu...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 24, 2012, 12:44:59 PM9/24/12
to
Lawrence I am have similar issues as KJ was at the top of this post. I recently rebuilt the WSUS server at a new Job and began approving updates. When I am logged in using a domain account I see nothing, if I log in as the local admin the updates are there and I can apply them. I have just now run the "wuauclt /detectnow" command and will post the results shortly. I am very confused, I have rebuilt the GPO I use for WSUS twice already and do not know where to go next. I hope you can help me.

Ben Burt.
Message has been deleted

bbu...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 24, 2012, 3:02:41 PM9/24/12
to
> > Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
>
> > Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
>
> > Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
>
> >
>
> > MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
>
> > My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
>
>
>
> Lawrence,

I am have similar issues as KJ was at the top of this post. I recently rebuilt the WSUS server at a new Job and began approving updates. When I am logged in using a domain account I see nothing, if I log in as the local admin the updates are there and I can apply them. I have just now run the "wuauclt /detectnow" command and will post the results shortly. I am very confused, I have rebuilt the GPO I use for WSUS twice already and do not know where to go next. I hope you can help me.
>
>
>
> Ben Burt.

This is from my Windows Update log:


2012-09-24 11:53:53:253 1244 73c Agent *********** Agent: Refreshing global settings cache ***********
2012-09-24 11:53:53:253 1244 73c Agent * WSUS server: http://myserver:8530 (Unchanged)
2012-09-24 11:53:53:253 1244 73c Agent * WSUS status server: http://myserver:8530 (Unchanged)
2012-09-24 11:53:53:253 1244 73c Agent * Target group: Desktop (Changed)
2012-09-24 11:53:53:253 1244 73c Agent * Windows Update access disabled: No (Unchanged)
2012-09-24 11:53:53:297 1244 73c AU AU received policy change subscription event
2012-09-24 11:53:53:297 1244 73c AU Target group changed through policy.
2012-09-24 11:53:53:297 1244 73c AU Triggering Online detection (non-interactive)
2012-09-24 11:53:53:297 1244 73c AU #############
2012-09-24 11:53:53:297 1244 73c AU ## START ## AU: Search for updates
2012-09-24 11:53:53:297 1244 73c AU #########
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 73c AU <<## SUBMITTED ## AU: Search for updates [CallId = {E9561A63-348D-489C-9C9F-72600149FA26}]
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Agent *************
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Agent *********
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Agent * Online = Yes; Ignore download priority = No
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Agent * Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Installation' or IsPresent=1 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' or IsInstalled=1 and DeploymentAction='Installation' and RebootRequired=1 or IsInstalled=0 and DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' and RebootRequired=1"
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Agent * ServiceID = {3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7} Managed
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Agent * Search Scope = {Machine}
2012-09-24 11:53:53:298 1244 2310 Setup Checking for agent SelfUpdate
2012-09-24 11:53:53:299 1244 2310 Setup Client version: Core: 7.6.7600.256 Aux: 7.6.7600.256
2012-09-24 11:53:53:299 1244 2310 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wuident.cab:
2012-09-24 11:53:53:303 1244 2310 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2012-09-24 11:54:04:940 1244 2310 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wuident.cab:
2012-09-24 11:54:04:946 1244 2310 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2012-09-24 11:54:04:950 1244 2310 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wsus3setup.cab:
2012-09-24 11:54:04:956 1244 2310 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2012-09-24 11:54:04:959 1244 2310 Misc Validating signature for C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wsus3setup.cab:
2012-09-24 11:54:04:966 1244 2310 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2012-09-24 11:54:05:004 1244 2310 Setup Determining whether a new setup handler needs to be downloaded
2012-09-24 11:54:05:004 1244 2310 Setup SelfUpdate handler is not found. It will be downloaded
2012-09-24 11:54:05:004 1244 2310 Setup Evaluating applicability of setup package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.6.7600.256"
2012-09-24 11:54:05:690 1244 2310 Setup Setup package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.6.7600.256" is already installed.
2012-09-24 11:54:05:690 1244 2310 Setup Evaluating applicability of setup package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.6.7600.256"
2012-09-24 11:54:05:718 1244 2310 Setup Setup package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.6.7600.256" is already installed.
2012-09-24 11:54:05:718 1244 2310 Setup Evaluating applicability of setup package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.6.7600.256"
2012-09-24 11:54:05:756 1244 2310 Setup Setup package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7.6.7600.256" is already installed.
2012-09-24 11:54:05:756 1244 2310 Setup SelfUpdate check completed. SelfUpdate is NOT required.
2012-09-24 11:54:06:342 1244 2310 PT +++++++++++ PT: Synchronizing server updates +++++++++++
2012-09-24 11:54:06:342 1244 2310 PT + ServiceId = {3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}, Server URL = http://myserver:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx
2012-09-24 11:54:06:380 1244 2310 PT WARNING: Cached cookie has expired or new PID is available
2012-09-24 11:54:06:380 1244 2310 PT Initializing simple targeting cookie, clientId = 5319535f-fe71-4b08-91df-b0b6799129d7, target group = Desktop, DNS name = laptop2.mydomain.com
2012-09-24 11:54:06:380 1244 2310 PT Server URL = http://myserver:8530/SimpleAuthWebService/SimpleAuth.asmx
2012-09-24 11:54:06:397 1244 2310 PT WARNING: GetCookie failure, error = 0x8024400D, soap client error = 7, soap error code = 300, HTTP status code = 200
2012-09-24 11:54:06:397 1244 2310 PT WARNING: SOAP Fault: 0x00012c
2012-09-24 11:54:06:397 1244 2310 PT WARNING: faultstring:Fault occurred
2012-09-24 11:54:06:397 1244 2310 PT WARNING: ErrorCode:ConfigChanged(2)
2012-09-24 11:54:06:397 1244 2310 PT WARNING: Message:(null)
2012-09-24 11:54:06:397 1244 2310 PT WARNING: Method:"http://www.microsoft.com/SoftwareDistribution/Server/ClientWebService/GetCookie"
2012-09-24 11:54:06:397 1244 2310 PT WARNING: ID:d1c4e4b7-0981-4252-bea4-717768f32696
2012-09-24 11:54:06:407 1244 2310 PT WARNING: Cached cookie has expired or new PID is available
2012-09-24 11:54:06:407 1244 2310 PT Initializing simple targeting cookie, clientId = 5319535f-fe71-4b08-91df-b0b6799129d7, target group = Desktop, DNS name = laptop2.mydomain.com
2012-09-24 11:54:06:407 1244 2310 PT Server URL = http://myserver:8530/SimpleAuthWebService/SimpleAuth.asmx
2012-09-24 11:54:07:324 1244 2310 Agent WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installed rule, updateId = {189A8F50-0C3A-4FDF-8BC2-BC23A3EB11FB}.101, hr = 80242013
2012-09-24 11:54:07:864 1244 2310 PT +++++++++++ PT: Synchronizing extended update info +++++++++++
2012-09-24 11:54:07:864 1244 2310 PT + ServiceId = {3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}, Server URL = http://myserver:8530/ClientWebService/client.asmx
2012-09-24 11:54:08:016 1244 2310 Agent * Found 0 updates and 67 categories in search; evaluated appl. rules of 1145 out of 1711 deployed entities
2012-09-24 11:54:08:017 1244 2310 Agent *********
2012-09-24 11:54:08:017 1244 2310 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2012-09-24 11:54:08:017 1244 2310 Agent *************
2012-09-24 11:54:08:024 1244 2b4c AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Search for updates [CallId = {E9561A63-348D-489C-9C9F-72600149FA26}]
2012-09-24 11:54:08:024 1244 2b4c AU # 0 updates detected
2012-09-24 11:54:08:024 1244 2b4c AU #########
2012-09-24 11:54:08:024 1244 2b4c AU ## END ## AU: Search for updates [CallId = {E9561A63-348D-489C-9C9F-72600149FA26}]
2012-09-24 11:54:08:024 1244 2b4c AU #############
2012-09-24 11:54:08:025 1244 2b4c AU Successfully wrote event for AU health state:0
2012-09-24 11:54:08:025 1244 2b4c AU Featured notifications is disabled.
2012-09-24 11:54:08:025 1244 2b4c AU AU setting next detection timeout to 2012-09-25 13:15:49
2012-09-24 11:54:08:025 1244 2b4c AU Successfully wrote event for AU health state:0
2012-09-24 11:54:08:025 1244 2b4c AU Successfully wrote event for AU health state:0
2012-09-24 11:54:13:017 1244 2310 Report REPORT EVENT: {D953747F-E6ED-47D8-8D97-1A15F4B0D5DB} 2012-09-24 11:54:08:017-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Software Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.
2012-09-24 11:54:13:017 1244 2310 Report REPORT EVENT: {F38FCD74-0A07-4F23-9F60-D607F151A0CB} 2012-09-24 11:54:08:017-0400 1 156 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Pre-Deployment Check Reporting client status.
2012-09-24 11:54:13:018 1244 2310 Report CWERReporter finishing event handling. (00000000)
2012-09-24 11:59:01:111 1244 2310 Report Uploading 2 events using cached cookie, reporting URL = http://myserver:8530/ReportingWebService/ReportingWebService.asmx
2012-09-24 11:59:01:116 1244 2310 Report Reporter successfully uploaded 2 events.
2012-09-24 12:35:39:259 1244 266c AU Windows Update is disabled by policy for user
2012-09-24 13:33:54:445 1244 73c AU AU received policy change subscription event

Augusto Alvarez

unread,
Jul 2, 2009, 6:05:05 PM7/2/09
to

Hello KJ,

Did you check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 ?

Cheers!

--
augusto alvarez | it consultant
MSP - MCTS - MCITP DBA
http://blog.augustoalvarez.com.ar/

"kj [SBS MVP]" <Kevin...@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message

news:#F3qVe1#JHA....@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages