Power Options - Disable Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby

marti...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2008, 6:44:20 PM2/10/08
Is there any way to script enabling and disabling of this setting on
the Advanced tab of the Power Options control panel applet? The script
needs to apply to Windows XP Professional SP2.

I've used regmon.exe to check which registry entries get modified when
you apply the setting change but it is not clear which registry key is
for the "Disable Prompt for password when computer resumes from
standby" setting.

I've also had a look through the WMI classes and although there is a
Win32_PowerManagementEvent class, I can't spot anything that looks
relevant to this setting.

Marco Shaw [MVP]

Feb 11, 2008, 8:03:50 AM2/11/08
to marti...@gmail.com

To enable:
POWERCFG /GLOBALPOWERFLAG on /OPTION RESUMEPASSWORD
To disable:
POWERCFG /GLOBALPOWERFLAG off /OPTION RESUMEPASSWORD

This might help you pinpoint the registry changes, or just use
wscript.shell or call it directly from PowerShell to modify.

Marco

--
Microsoft MVP - Windows PowerShell
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp

PowerGadgets MVP
http://www.powergadgets.com/mvp

Blog:
http://marcoshaw.blogspot.com

Marco Shaw [MVP]

Feb 11, 2008, 8:04:55 AM2/11/08

To enable:

J Ford

Feb 11, 2008, 8:18:01 AM2/11/08
There is a cmd line tool in XP SP2 called POWERCFG.EXE that you can set that
option.

:\>POWERCFG.EXE /G OFF /OPTION RESUMEPASSWORD

J Ford

Feb 11, 2008, 8:21:02 AM2/11/08
For the registry location it is:
HKCU\Control Panel\PowerCfg\GlobalPowerPolicy\Policies

However it is a REG_BINARY value that I am not sure how it is broken down.

Jon

Feb 13, 2008, 3:23:27 AM2/13/08
Registry key on Vista is

ScreenSaverIsSecure (reg_sz type) - values 0 or 1

at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

It may be similar on XP.

but you'll probably need more than a registry change, for it to take effect.

--
Jon

<marti...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jon

Feb 13, 2008, 3:26:38 AM2/13/08
Sorry ignore that one. I misread your question - that was for resume after
screen savers. Use powercfg as Marco suggested

--
Jon

Fabrizio

Feb 25, 2014, 9:25:12 AM2/25/14
I just saw on Xp Sp3 that the fourth last byte is 12 (Hex!) when no password requested but is 16 when password is requested.

It's worked:
1) Using a limited account I cannot change in no password on resume;
2) I changed from 16 to 12 the fourth last byte of HKCU\Control Panel\PowerCfg\GlobalPowerPolicy\Policies;
3) Hibernate;
4) On resume no password requested!

Fabrizio