SBS2003 Backup error code 0X800708AD

KT

Sep 12, 2006, 11:10:02 AM9/12/06
I have a new installation of SBS2003. I set the schedule in Server Management
to run a daily backup. The backup fails, and in the log the following is
found:

Backup Runner started.
NetUserSetInfo(PASSWORD) failed. (0x800708ad)
ChangeLocalAccountPassword failed. (0x800708ad)
NetUserGetInfo failed. (0x800708ad)
EnableLocalAccount(false) failed. (0x800708ad)
NTBackup finished the backup with errors.

For more information about failed backups, see the article on
troubleshooting your backup at the following Web page:

Backup ended at Monday, September 11, 2006 11:00 PM
Backup error finished with error code 0X800708AD.

I have already tried to set a different account on the job through task
manager and have made sure the password is correct.
I could find no help listed under this error code. There is no help under
the article listed.
Where else do I look to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,
Ken

chace zhang

Sep 12, 2006, 11:14:08 PM9/12/06

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand you encountered 0x800708ad
error during backup SBS scheduled. Is it correct?

Based on my research, if it's configured through SBS Backup, when it's time
for the backup begin, the system account launches the Back Up Small
Business task from the Task Scheduler. The task in turn executes the Backup
Runner to begin the backup process. When Backup Runner starts, it changes
the password of the SBS Backup User to meet the strong password
requirements. Once the new password is set, the account is enabled (which
is disabled by default), and Backup Runner assumes the credentials of this
account to begin the actual backup job using the NTBackup.exe. Once the
backup is completed and backup results are reported, for security reasons,
Backup Runner will disable the SBS Backup User account. The account remains
disabled until the next time Back Up Small Business Server task starts.

The error code: 0x800708ad = Password failed. So please check if the Backup
User exists. To do so, click Start, click Run, type "dsa.msc" and click OK.
Expand your domain\MyBusiness\Users, select SBSUsers, is the account Backup
User listed in the right pane, and make sure the password meet the strong
password requirements. If the user doesn't exist, re-run SBS Integrated
Setup by clicking Change/Remove for Windows Small Business Server 2003 in
Add or Remove Programs to reinstall Administration:

A. Open Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.
B. Click "Windows Small Business Server 2003" and click on "Change/Remove".
C. Follow the setup prompts until you reach the "Component Selection"
dialog screen.
D. On the "Server Tools" action, change it to "Maintenance". Then, for the
"Administration" action, change it to "Reinstall".
E. Complete the setup wizard - you may be prompted for one of the SBS CD's
or the DVD.

3. If you remove the Back Up Small Business task from in Control
Panel\Scheduled Tasks, re-run SBS Backup Wizard (Server
Managerment\Backup\Configure Backup), does the issue occur?

Hope this helps, if you have any other concerns or need more help, please
do not hesitate to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Chace Zhang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

| From: =?Utf-8?B?S1Q=?= <K...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: SBS2003 Backup error code 0X800708AD
| Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:10:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

tbeck...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2016, 8:55:16 PM3/10/16
I had this same issue. I simply added the "SBS Backup User" and granted appropriate access to the account. An Admin didn't think the account was needed and deleted the account...