WD SES Device USB Device

Andyba

Jan 15, 2010, 10:28:26 AM1/15/10
Just acquired a new WD Passport My Essential drive (WDBAAA2500ABK-00) for
SBS 2008 backups.

Turns out it's not exactly the same as previous ones I've bought. Slightly
smaller, and with a different style USB connection on the drive.

More importantly it shows an error in device manager, and a driver update
fails to find anything to correct the error.

I have done a backup (but not a restore) with it, with no indicated error,
but I should really find the correct driver to loose the exclamation mark.

Anyone else had this?

TIA
Andy

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jan 15, 2010, 2:16:42 PM1/15/10

Andyba

Jan 16, 2010, 5:13:20 AM1/16/10

Yes, it "did" have Smartware on it.

I have looked at that page previously too, and originally assumed that OS
support in Windows 7 would include OS support in SBS2008, but not apparently
so.

My attempts to get rid of the driver error have involved:

Update to firmware. (EssentialEliteFirmwareUpdaterv1.032_1.0.7.4)
Update to Smartware. (WDSmartWare_SoftwareUpdater_for_Windows_1_2_0_7a)
Use of Virtual CD manager to remove the Virtual CD.
(WDSmartWareVirtualCDManagerforWindows-v1.0.7.4)
Then a full NTFS format.
Finally when configured as an SBS 2008 backup drive it will have received
another trashing!

It's presently formatted NTFS and not configured as an SBS backup drive.

I've just tried it now on OS's that have never seen it before, and have no
WD software installed.

XP SP3. Wanted to connect to the internet to find a driver. Same device
manager error as SBS2008. Presently I've not connected to try and find one.
Shows up as G: in Disk Management, but does not appear in "My Computer".

Vista and Windows 7. Same device manager error and cancelled driver search
as XP, except it did show in "Computer", and I was able to read and write.

I'd like to control the driver install so I know were it comes from, hence
the reason for not allowing Vista and Windows 7 to search the internet.

I thought SBS backup was going to be easy, and it was with the previous WD
Passport, but this new beast has me searching for a tape drive!

Rgds

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jan 16, 2010, 8:16:29 AM1/16/10
I haven't found anything that will allow you to disable the SES (SCSI
Enclosure Services) on these new drives. So, if you can't install the
driver for it, you'll continually get the pop-up to install it. It appears
Western Digital has taken an otherwise good drive and turned it into a
brick. Sad to see this as I've been using their Passport drives for the
past 3 years without incident. At this point, I would return the drive for
a full refund and go to their competition for an external hard drive.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================
"Andyba" <andy_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Andyba

Jan 16, 2010, 12:08:19 PM1/16/10

>I haven't found anything that will allow you to disable the SES (SCSI
>Enclosure Services) on these new drives. So, if you can't install the
>driver for it, you'll continually get the pop-up to install it.

There is some more info here, and a link to a driver, although I don't think
I'll try it on a server.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1104424-new-wd-passport-smartware.html

>It appears Western Digital has taken an otherwise good drive and turned it
>into a brick. Sad to see this as I've been using their Passport drives for
>the past 3 years without incident.

Yup

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-WDBAAA5000ABK-NESN/product-reviews/B002KG2LOA/ref=cm_cr_pr_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

The comments about the dodgey connector convinced me. Not what you want when
you are changing drives regularly!

>At this point, I would return the drive for a full refund and go to their
>competition for an external hard drive.

Any Reccomendations?

Rgds
Andy

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jan 16, 2010, 1:07:23 PM1/16/10
I haven't had the need to buy a new USB drive for a while, but I'd probably
give the Seagate Freeagent Go drives a try.

Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Portable-External-ST905003FGA2E1-RK/dp/B001FWCDQG

I've seen some data that suggests that the USB connectors on most consumer
and business grade equipment is really only intended for 50-500 connects or
disconnects. To reduce the wear and tear on the external drive connector
and on the server's USB connector, I usually buy a (Male A-to-Female A)
extender USB cable, connect it to the server, connect the USB cable that
comes with the external USB drive to that drive and then mate the two
cables. When it comes time to switch out external drives, I break the
connection between the extender cable and the external drive's USB cable,
always leaving the USB cable connected to the external drive and the
extender cable connected to the server. The second external drive, again
with it's short USB cable always connected to it, is then connected to the
extender cable. This seems to work well.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Andyba" <andy_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

Jan 17, 2010, 9:57:56 AM1/17/10
I've had good results with the seagates, including the 1TB drives.

For swapping, HP has some nice 2.5" drives (320gb), that slip into a cradle
like a cell phone charging cradle - might save the connectors some stress.
They also come with a zip-up carrying case.

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jan 17, 2010, 1:51:40 PM1/17/10
Do the 1TB FreeAgent Go units require an external power supply or do they
pull their power from the USB port (as with the lesser capacity drives)?

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.c...@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

Jan 18, 2010, 9:13:31 AM1/18/10
I'm not sure if mine is a "go" or not, but it uses external power.

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jan 18, 2010, 9:31:14 AM1/18/10
I've been trying to avoid drives with external power supplies. They're fine
as long as all external backup drives are identical. But when a drive goes
out after year two or three and you have to buy a new drive with a different
power supply, the client can get confused when swapping out both drive *and*
power supply. Using the wrong power supply can lead to some headaches.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.c...@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jan 18, 2010, 12:38:51 PM1/18/10
It appears that Seagate also makes a "dock" for the Freeagent Go drives:

(the "dock" is the one on the left; best picture I could find)
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/packagecontents.jpg

This may be the way to go if you want to use the Freeagent laptop drives.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message

Andyba

Jan 19, 2010, 2:19:34 PM1/19/10
I've just received a Seagate Expansions 250GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160906

Similar to the Freeagent, but a bit cheaper, with 2yr warranty as opposed to
five, if it doesn't get lost before then!

Standard mini-usb too. Doesn't look like it will fit that cradle as the
socket is on a long edge.

More importantly it connected, and configured straight off, with no problem.

Done a test backup fine, so off to the clients it goes tomorrow.

Rgds

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message

ericap...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2015, 5:17:57 PM1/12/15
BUY DATABASE REGISTERED REAL AND FAKE PASSPORT, DL, ID, SSC, DIPLOMATS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS

Our company has years of experience producing fake/registered passports and other identity documents. We use high quality equipment and materials to produce counterfeit passports. All secret features of real passports are carefully duplicated for our falsified documents.

Watch our video here http://vimeo.com/82973635

SKYPE US ................. fandena.fandena

Contact e-mails: fani...@gmail.com

Technical support: fani...@gmail.com

We are the best producer of quality fake documents. With over 3million of out documents circulating over the world.

We can make you both real and fake documents
However, the real documents are more expensive than the fake because
it takes time, skill and contacts to get it done. Note that, the fake
is going to be in 100% unique and very good quality. The difference is
based on the registration of the numbers. The real Document will be
registered with the country's database so you can use it to travel to
any country of your choice or in the country, mean while the fake will
not be registered but can be use as well.

We offer only original high-quality fake passports, drivers licenses,
ID cards, stamps and other products for a number of countries like:

USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italia, Finland, France,
Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United
Kingdom. Dubai(the emirates) and many more.

buy real/real/fake USA passports,
buy real/fake Australian passports,
buy real/fake Belgium passports,
buy real/fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
buy real/fake Canadian(Canada) passports,
buy real/fake Finnish(Finland) passports,
buy real/fake French(France) passports,
buy real/fake German(Germany) passports,
buy real/fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
buy real/fake Israel passports,
buy real/fake UK passports,
buy real/fake Spanish(Spain) passports,
buy real/fake Mexican(Mexico) passports,
buy real/fake South African passports.
buy real/fake Australian driver licenses,
buy real/fake Canadian driver licenses,
buy real/fake French(France) driver licenses,
buy real/fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) driving licenses,
buy real/fake German(Germany) driving licenses,
buy real/fake UK driving licenses,
buy real/fake Diplomatic passports,
buy real/fake USA passports,
buy real/fake Australian passports,
buy real/fake Belgium passports,
buy real/fake Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
buy real/fake Canadian(Canada) passports,
buy real/fake Finnish(Finland) passports,
buy real/fake French(France) passports,
buy real/fake German(Germany) passports,
buy real/fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
buy real/fake Israel passports,
buy real/fake UK passports,
buy real/fake Spanish(Spain) passports,
buy real/fake Mexican(Mexico) passports,
buy real/fake South African passports.
buy real/fake Australian driver licenses,
buy real/fake Canadian driver licenses,
buy real/fake French(France) driver licenses,
buy real/fake Dutch(Netherland/Holland) driving licenses,
buy real/fake German(Germany) driving licenses,
buy real/fake UK driving licenses,
buy real/fake Diplomatic passports,
buy Camouflage passports,
buy passport Duplicates,
real/fake USA passports for sale,
real/fake Australian passports for sale,
real/fake Belgium passports for sale,