Error backing up the System State

Scott

Nov 30, 2005, 3:50:10 PM11/30/05
I have set up a new server with SBS 2003. The media that I used to install
SBS had SP1 slipstreamed into it. I have set up a backup job using the SBS
Backup wizard. Whenever this job runs, it errors while backing up the system
state with the following error message:
Error: Could not access portions of directory System State\Registry.
You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be
missing or damaged.
Please contact the owner or administrator.

I have tried backing up manually using the NT Backup program, and it also
returns the same error while backing up the System State. Do you have any
idea on what might be the problem here and how to resolve it?

Thanks, Scott

Edward Tian

Nov 30, 2005, 10:49:57 PM11/30/05
Hi Scott:
Thanks for posting here.

From the description, I understand that you cannot backup the SBS Server
either using the NTbackup or the SBS Backup wizard. If I am off base,
please do let me know.

In order to narrow down the problem, please help to gather the following
information:

1. Log on the server as Domain Administrator, and then use the NTbackup to
ONLY backup the System State. Will the problem be reproduced?

2. Launch the Ntbackup again, select to backup some other folders (exclude
the System State), will the backup job be finished successfully?

3. What's the brand and model of the backup device? If you configure the
backup wizard to back up the system to local drive, will this problem also
occur?

4. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" without quotation mark, locate the
Volume Shadow Copy, is the service started?

5. Have you received another error looks like "Error: Could not access
portions of directory System State\COM+ Class Registration Database"?

6. Have you installed any third-party software or services on the SBS
Server such as IBM's Tivoli TSM? Please temporarily disable them and see if
the problem can be fixed.

In addition, please send me the following backup log for further
investigation:

1. The Backupxx.log files are in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS
Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data'.

2. The Sbsbackuplog0x.log files can be located under the folder
'%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.
(%sbsprogramdir% = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server)

3. Export the event log and send it to my at v-ed...@microsoft.com

I appreciate your time and cooperation. Please feel free to let me know if
you have any questions or concerns.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards
Edward Tian(MSFT)
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=" <Sc...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Error backing up the System State
| Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:50:10 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Scott

Dec 2, 2005, 10:16:02 AM12/2/05
Edward,

I have sent the logs to your email address. To answer your other questions:

1. I tried using NTBackup to only back up the System State. This failed
also, but with a different error than the one I get when backing up using
SBS. The error is:
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:0x8004230c.

2. Backing up other folders, without backing up the System State, works fine.

3. The tape backup device is a Hewlett Packard Storage Works DAT 72 USB tape
drive.

4. The Volume Shadow Copy service was not running and was marked to start
manually. I started this service and tried another System State backup with
the same error as I reported above in item 1.

5. I am not receiving any other errors, although I do receive some warnings
for files that cannot be accessed.

6. I do have McAfee Protection Pilot running on this server. I can remove
this, but it is kind of a pain to get it back instaalled and running again.
If I just stop the services, will that be enough of a test for this purpose?
Protection Pilot also installs its own MSDE instance. Do you think there
could be a problem with that, perhaps a different service pack level from the
instance installed by SBS?

I will look forward to hearing your reply.

Thanks, Scott

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Dec 4, 2005, 3:39:41 AM12/4/05
Scott? I'd call PSS on this. This is not a trivial error. System
state backups are your active directory lifeline.

Call produce support services and get this looked into.

What is protection pilot?

Edward Tian

Dec 4, 2005, 9:22:04 PM12/4/05
Hi Scott:
Thanks for your update.

As Susan mentioned, if the case is urgent and critical for the business, we
recommend you contact Microsoft Product Support Services so that a
dedicated support professional can resolve the issue for you in the most
efficient way. They can be reached at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS.
Thanks for your understanding!

I have received your mail, but it seems that no attachment is included in
it. If you prefer working on this issue here, could you resend the
attachment to me at v-ed...@microsoft.com?

In item 3, if you configure the backup wizard to back up the system to

local drive, will this problem also occur?

Regarding the McAfee, I suggest you disable this software first (not
remove) and see if the problem will disappear.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day!

| thread-index: AcX3U07raj8tGygjRY2gwDG1Uf+LBg==

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=" <Sc...@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Subject: RE: Error backing up the System State
| Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 07:16:02 -0800

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Scott

Dec 5, 2005, 9:35:02 AM12/5/05
Hello Ed,

I have resent my email and included the attachment. Sorry for missing that
last week.

My customer will not pay for a PSS call, and I would prefer not to eat the
cost myself for that unless I have no choice. So if there is a way to figure
this out here that would be my preference at this time.

Scott

Dec 5, 2005, 3:51:02 PM12/5/05
Hi Susan,

Protection Pilot is a McAfee product which monitors McAfee antivirus updates
and alerts on a network. It uses MSDE as a database for storing its
information.

My customer is not enthused about paying for a PSS call, so I am not sure
what to do at this point. This is a brand new install. The only difference
between this install and other similar ones that I have done is that this one
was installed using an OEM SBS with SP 1 disk set. Previous installs did not
have SP1.

Thanks, Scott

Edward Tian

Dec 6, 2005, 2:38:21 AM12/6/05
Hi Scott:
Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the 0x8004230c error, we may consider re-registering the VSS
binaries. To re-register VSS binaries and services, first stop the Volume
Shadow Copy Service:

Open a command prompt and change directories to \windows\system32 (this is
important when you begin registering the dlls):

net stop vss

Then register the following dlls and services (be sure you're still in the
windows\system32 directory at your command prompt):

regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
rRegsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Meanwhile, I suggest you apply the following hotfix to see if the problem
can be solved.

887827 A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update-2 package is available
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;887827

From the event log, I also found the event 7001 and 8001, which indicates
that the shadow copy cannot be created. Based on my research, the problem
is attributed with some third-party antivirus software (such as IBM Tivoli
Client V5.2) in some cases. Here, I suggest you contact the support of the
McAfee to see if this product has any compatibility problems with the
NTBackup service. (Disabling any Antivirus applications while you try to
backup is suggested.)

Hope the above info helps.

Have a nice day!

<9573E238-832E-4CC2...@microsoft.com>
<oq40vKU#FHA...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

| Subject: RE: Error backing up the System State

| Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 06:35:02 -0800

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Scott

Dec 7, 2005, 11:04:03 AM12/7/05
Ed,

Re-registering the VSS binaries resolved the problem. I did that yesterday
afternoon, and last night's backup ran with no problems. The VSS events have
gone away also, and the Volume Shadow Copy jobs are running successfully now.

Thanks again for your help,

Edward Tian

Dec 8, 2005, 5:38:20 AM12/8/05
Hi Scott:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad to hear that the problem has been resolved. It's my pleasure to
work with you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me
know. I hope to see you again in the newsgroup.

Have a nice day!

<56C98EDB-40D8-4F38...@microsoft.com>
<7CCgJgj#FHA....@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>