440 Login Timeout - OWA error

Frank Baisch

Nov 1, 2004, 10:26:06 PM11/1/04
I just went through the steps to setup OWA on a 2003 SBS. When I attempted
to connect through IE on the local network, I received the 440 Login Timeout
error. I did setup a certificate during the process and I believe that may
have something to do with the error from some basic research so far. What I
can figure out is how to resolve this problem. Do I need to reinstall IIS
or is their another method.

Thank you in advance.

Frank

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Nov 2, 2004, 6:03:50 AM11/2/04
Hi Frank,

Please post the ipconfig/all from the server. Standard or Premium? What did
you fill in for the web certificate?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Frank Baisch" <Baischco...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Frank Baisch

Nov 3, 2004, 2:42:32 PM11/3/04

Here is the IP configuration:Also, I believe it is the standard edition and
I am not sure what I put in for the web certificate. I believe is was the
<domainname>.com.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2K3SBS
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : shragerlaw.local
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : shragerlaw.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-2C-7C-B6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.3

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <mar...@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in message

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Nov 3, 2004, 2:50:38 PM11/3/04
Hi Frank,

You believe???
If you have ISA and/or SQL 2000 server installed, you have Premium.
Rerun CEICW and fill in your public IP for the web certificate.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Frank Baisch" <Baischco...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Frank Baisch

Nov 3, 2004, 3:32:43 PM11/3/04
Yes, I believe. It is not my office, I go there on occasions to assist
them. But I am pretty sure it is the standard edition. Does that matter
for OWA? I thought they both had that capability.

Frank

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <mar...@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in message

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Nov 3, 2004, 4:01:16 PM11/3/04
Hi Frank,

No, it doesn't matter for OWA as that will work on both. But you said you
went through the steps to set it up, so I assumed you would know what you
filled in.

Rerun CEICW anyway and check what you actually did fill in. If you have your
ISP created a DNS record for server.domain.com, you can use that FQDN, else
fill in your public IP.
You will also have to enable the OWA service in CEICW. Then try from inside
the domain with servername/exchange.

From outside with https://fqdn/exchange or https://ip/exchange.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Frank Baisch" <Baischco...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Frank Baisch

Nov 6, 2004, 7:05:35 PM11/6/04
Well, I did try the public IP and I am still getting the 440 Login Timeout
error. This law firm has one company for their ISP and another one is
hosting their web site. Would that matter if I use the public IP given to
me from their ISP?

I believe the OWA service is enabled, I went through the CEICW to ensure it
is. I didn't select any other services but did notice other settings for
Outlook. Do they have to be enabled also?

What should I try next?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <mar...@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in message

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Nov 6, 2004, 7:38:40 PM11/6/04
Hi Frank,

Do you get that error from inside your network? How exactly are you trying
to do this? Are you trying it from a workstation? Did you yet find out if
ISA is installed?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Frank Baisch" <Baischco...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Frank Baisch

Nov 7, 2004, 3:43:23 PM11/7/04
I received the reply from within the network using servername/exchange
format. I tried it from the server itself and another workstation within
the office and get the same error on both machines. ISA is not installed and
NAT is enabled on the router.

Thanks again.

Frank

>> > the domain with .

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Nov 7, 2004, 4:48:21 PM11/7/04
Hi Frank,

You will first want to get this to work from inside your network before you
try to access from outside.
Check the LAN settings in IE on the server. Proxy should be blank and
nothing should be checked.
Rerun CEICW and make sure OWA is checked. Enable the Firewall for that.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Frank Baisch" <Baischco...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Frank Baisch

Nov 8, 2004, 7:12:47 AM11/8/04
Hello Marina,

Well, nothing is checked in LAN settings for IE on the server. However,
when I reran the configuration wizard, and OWA is the only option I am
checking, I noticed that on the last window before the actually
configuration process it said that the Firewall on the Small Business Server
could not be configured. I am guessing that is part of the problem. What
do you think?

Frank

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <mar...@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in message

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Nov 8, 2004, 7:26:57 AM11/8/04
Hi Frank,

That could indeed be your problem. Clear the icwlog.txt in \program files\ms
windows small business server\support and rerun CEICW. Then post the
relevant parts with the errorlines and the 20-30 lines before that. How
exactly are you connecting to the internet?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Frank Baisch" <Baischco...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Frank Baisch

Nov 10, 2004, 9:14:54 PM11/10/04
They have a T1 connection via a Netopia router, not sure what series. The
router is maintain by the ISP and has NAT enabled. I was not sure about
what part of the log to check so I copied all the text below. I did noticed
the error at the end of the text, but thought you may want to see all of it.

Thanks.

Frank

Log file:

11/9/2004 5:55 PM
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
Server\Networking\ICW\wizinet.dll, version 5.2.2651.0
calling CNetCommit::ValidatePropertyBag ().
Call to Querying for the property bag () returned ok.
Call to Reading hardware selection () returned ok.
Hardware selection: 2
Call to Validating hardware selection () returned ok.

11/9/2004 5:55 PM
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
Server\Networking\ICW\wizrfire.dll, version 5.2.2651.0
calling CRFireCommit::ValidatePropertyBag (0xffb088).
Call to This is a Router Single Nic configuration only Web Publishing will
be configured, Basic Firewall will not be configured. () returned ok.
Call to Reading web publishing selection () returned ok.
Call to Reading OWA publishing selection () returned ok.
Call to Reading RUP publishing selection () returned ok.
Call to Reading Monitoring publishing selection () returned ok.
Call to Reading OMA publishing selection () returned ok.
Call to Reading RPC publishing selection () returned ok.
Call to Reading Companyweb publishing selection () returned ok.
Call to Reading ROOT publishing selection () returned ok.
Web publishing selections:
OWA publishing: 1
RUP publishing: 0
Monitoring publishing: 0
OMA publishing: 0
RPC publishing: 0
Companyweb publishing: 0
ROOT publishing: 0
Call to CRFireCommit::ValidatePropertyBag () returned ok.

11/9/2004 5:55 PM
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
Server\Networking\ICW\wizcert.dll, version 5.2.2651.0
Calling CCertCommit::ValidatePropertyBag
Require SSL for OWA: 1
Require SSL for Remote Portal: 1
Require SSL for Monitoring: 0
Require SSL for OMA: 0
Require SSL for CompanyWeb: 0
Require 128 Bit Encryption: 1
Cert selection: -1
CCertCommit::ValidatePropertyBag returned OK

11/9/2004 5:55 PM
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
Server\Networking\ICW\wizemail.dll, version 5.2.2651.0
calling CEmailCommit::ValidatePropertyBag ().
calling pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface (IPropertyPagePropertyBag, 0x6f558).
Call to pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface () returned ok.
calling ReadInt4 (0xffb088, DB5E5E45-3598-4F1D-8FF7-0ED35B9EB6A4).
Call to ReadInt4 () returned ok.
The out param of ReadInt4() is -1.
calling CValidatePropertyUtil.ValidatePropertyInteger ().
Call to CValidatePropertyUtil.ValidatePropertyInteger () returned ok.
Call to CEMailCommit::ValidatePropertyBag () returned ok.
calling CNetCommit::Commit (16756872).
calling CNetCommit::ValidatePropertyBag ().
Call to Querying for the property bag () returned ok.
Property bag is not dirty, skipping validation
calling CNetCommit::Common ().
Call to CNetCommit::Common () returned ok.
Call to CNetCommit::Commit () returned ok.
calling CRFireCommit::CommitEx (0xffb088).
[...]
Call to GetPrivateNICGuid () returned ok.
Call to GetIPAddress for private nic () returned ok.
Call to GetSubnetMask for private nic () returned ok.
RUP is not published
Call to Fixing the inheritance for root dir () returned ok.
Call to Unpublishing the default web site () returned ok.
Call to Fixing the inheritance for companyweb dir () returned ok.
Call to Unpublishing companyweb () returned ok.
Call to Publishing /Exchange () returned ok.
Call to Publishing /ExchWeb () returned ok.
Call to Publishing /Public () returned ok.
Call to Publishing /ExAdmin () returned ok.
Call to Notify RUP for OWA () returned ok.
Call to Notify RUP for Monitoring () returned ok.
Call to Notify RUP for RPC () returned ok.
Call to Notify RUP for Companyweb () returned ok.
Call to Restricting exhchangeoma to local server only () returned ok.
Call to Restricting ConnectComputer to local network only () returned ok.
Call to GetInternetServerName () returned ok.
Call to GetNetbiosDomainName () returned ok.
Call to NotifyProvisioning () returned ok.
Call to Limiting number of connections () returned ok.
Call to Sending RUP intro mail () returned ok.
Call to Saving web publishing selection () returned ok.
calling Set Web Publishing Rules (0x0).
Call to GetPrivateNICGuid () returned ok.
Call to WMIGetIPAddress () returned ok.
Call to IISConfig Set () returned ok.
Call to Setting default logon domain for OMA () returned ok.
Call to Setting Anonymous Access () returned ok.
Call to CRFireCommit::Commit () returned ok.
Calling CCertCommit::CommitEx
Calling CCertCommit::ValidatePropertyBag
Require SSL for OWA: 1
Require SSL for Remote Portal: 1
Require SSL for Monitoring: 0
Require SSL for OMA: 0
Require SSL for CompanyWeb: 0
Require 128 Bit Encryption: 1
Cert selection: -1
CCertCommit::ValidatePropertyBag returned OK
CCertCommit::EnableSSL returned OK
CCertCommit::RequireSSL returned OK
CCertCommit::NotifyRemoteUserPortal returned OK
Reading the Internet Server Name returned OK
OMA is not published, will not update the server name
Sending RUP intro mail returned OK
CCertCommit::SaveUserSelections returned OK
CCertCommit::CommitEx returned OK
calling CEmailCommit::Commit (0x267e38).
calling CEmailCommit::ValidatePropertyBag ().
calling pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface (IPropertyPagePropertyBag, 0x6f4d4).
Call to pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface () returned ok.
calling ReadInt4 (0xffb088, DB5E5E45-3598-4F1D-8FF7-0ED35B9EB6A4).
Call to ReadInt4 () returned ok.
The out param of ReadInt4() is -1.
calling CValidatePropertyUtil.ValidatePropertyInteger ().
Call to CValidatePropertyUtil.ValidatePropertyInteger () returned ok.
Call to CEMailCommit::ValidatePropertyBag () returned ok.
calling pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface (IPropertyPagePropertyBag, 0x6f544).
Call to pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface () returned ok.
calling ReadInt4 (0xffb088, DB5E5E45-3598-4F1D-8FF7-0ED35B9EB6A4).
Call to ReadInt4 () returned ok.
The out param of ReadInt4() is -1.
calling GetDomainAndControllerNames ().
Call to GetDomainAndControllerNames () returned ok.
calling GetOrganizationName (\\2K3SBS.shragerlaw.local,
DC=shragerlaw,DC=local).
Call to GetOrganizationName () returned ok.
calling GetFirstAdministrativeGroup (\\2K3SBS.shragerlaw.local,
DC=shragerlaw,DC=local, First Organization).
Call to GetFirstAdministrativeGroup () returned ok.
calling GetFirstRoutingGroup (\\2K3SBS.shragerlaw.local,
DC=shragerlaw,DC=local, First Organization, first administrative group).
Call to GetFirstRoutingGroup () returned ok.
Call to SetCookieAuthentication () returned ok.
Call to Enabling Wireless admin for OMA () returned ok.
Call to Getting NETBIOS domain name () returned ok.
NETBIOS domain name: shragerlaw
Call to Enabling NTLM on /public () returned ok.
calling CommitPOP3 (0xffb088).
Call to CommitPOP3 () returned ok.
calling _SetRegInt4Value (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Connectivity\ICW,
Last_MailOption_Exchange, -1).
Ignoring return value from call to _SetRegInt4Value().
Call to CEMailCommit::Commit () returned ok.
calling CNetCommit::SaveConfig ().
calling CEmailCommit::ValidatePropertyBag ().
calling pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface (IPropertyPagePropertyBag, 0x6f52c).
Call to pdispPPPBag->QueryInterface () returned ok.
calling ReadInt4 (0xffb088, DB5E5E45-3598-4F1D-8FF7-0ED35B9EB6A4).
Call to ReadInt4 () returned ok.
The out param of ReadInt4() is -1.
calling CValidatePropertyUtil.ValidatePropertyInteger ().
Call to CValidatePropertyUtil.ValidatePropertyInteger () returned ok.
Call to CEMailCommit::ValidatePropertyBag () returned ok.
calling CScriptUtil::RenameFile (config14.vbs).
Call to CScriptUtil::RenameFile () returned ok.
calling CScriptUtil::OpenFileToRead (temp.icw).
Call to CScriptUtil::OpenFileToRead () returned ok.
The out param of CScriptUtil::OpenFileToRead() is 0x77bebd00.
calling CScriptUtil::CreateFile (config14.vbs).
Call to CScriptUtil::CreateFile () returned ok.
The out param of CScriptUtil::CreateFile() is 0x77bebd40.
calling CopyUntilSection (0x77bebd00, 0x77bebd40).
Call to CScriptUtil::CopyUntilSection () returned ok.
calling WriteEmailSection (0x77bebd40).
Call to WriteEmailSection () returned ok.
calling CScriptUtil::CopyUntilSection (0x77bebd00, 0x77bebd40).
Call to CScriptUtil::CopyUntilSection () returned ok.
calling WriteSetPropertySection (0x77bebd40).
Call to WriteSetPropertySection () returned ok.
calling CScriptUtil::CopyUntilSection (0x77bebd00, 0x77bebd40).
Call to CEMailCommit::SaveConfig () returned ok.
Calling CCertCommit::SaveConfig
Calling CCertCommit::ValidatePropertyBag
Require SSL for OWA: 1
Require SSL for Remote Portal: 1
Require SSL for Monitoring: 0
Require SSL for OMA: 0
Require SSL for CompanyWeb: 0
Require 128 Bit Encryption: 1
Cert selection: -1
CCertCommit::ValidatePropertyBag returned OK
CCertCommit::SaveConfig returned OK
calling CRFireCommit::SaveConfig ().
[...]
Call to CRFireCommit::SaveConfig () returned ok.
calling CNetCommit::SaveConfig ().
calling CNetCommit::ValidatePropertyBag ().
Call to Querying for the property bag () returned ok.
Property bag is not dirty, skipping validation
calling oScriptUtil.RenameFile ().
Call to oScriptUtil.RenameFile () returned ok.
calling oScriptUtil.OpenFileToRead ().
Call to oScriptUtil.OpenFileToRead () returned ok.
calling oScriptUtil.CreateFile ().
Call to oScriptUtil.CreateFile () returned ok.
calling oScriptUtil.CopyUntilSection ().
Call to oScriptUtil.CopyUntilSection () returned ok.
calling WriteNetworkSection ().
Call to WriteNetworkSection () returned ok.
calling oScriptUtil.CopyUntilSection ().
Call to oScriptUtil.CopyUntilSection () returned ok.
calling WriteSetPropertySection ().
Call to WriteSetPropertySection () returned ok.
Call to CNetCommit::SaveConfig () returned ok.
calling GetBOConnector ().
Error 0x80072030 returned from call to GetBOConnector().

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <mar...@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in message

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Nov 11, 2004, 8:04:50 PM11/11/04
Hi Frank,

Is sure hope that your router has a Firewall, as with only 1 nic in your
server, you won't have any firewall at all. You would have the basic
NAT/Firewall of W2k3 if you have 2 nics in the server.
Can you check if the administrators account has an email address?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Frank Baisch" <Baischco...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Procyon MSFT support team

Dec 14, 2004, 8:55:02 AM12/14/04
did you find any solution in the meanwhile?
I had the same problem and searched the web.
I found a solution that helped me.
I hope it will help you too.
See the following URL:

http://msmvps.com/cgross/archive/2004/08/08/11472.aspx?Pending=true

Regards,
Procyon MSFT support team

Jones@discussions.microsoft.com Todd Jones

Apr 4, 2005, 4:01:02 PM4/4/05
That URL does work and solves the problem. The only other thing I noticed is
that it seems to want the value you specify in the certificate to match the
URL you use to call OWA.