active directory, my business folder

William Klempay

Apr 12, 2004, 12:54:09 PM4/12/04
I have a new SBS2003 install and was using a SBS2000 install previously. I
have noticed that the workstations and users end up under the My Business
folder in the AD rather than under users or computers. I am sure in the 2000
version they were in the regular places. Why were these changes made and how
do they impact the active directory?
Bill

David Jones [MSFT]

Apr 12, 2004, 1:15:44 PM4/12/04

These changes were made to allow an easier view of where everything is
located, and also to allow some Group Policy settings on users/computers/etc
created by SBS.

There is no impact to the directory by doing this, everything will function
correctly. As a warning, renaming the MyBusiness OU may result in some of
the SBS wizards failing to run - if you really want to move your users and
computers, create a new OU and go from there.

David Jones
SBS Product Team

Tony Su

Apr 12, 2004, 2:18:47 PM4/12/04
Was curious if there is really some policy that could only
be applied to an OU which wouldn't have been possible at
the Domain level.

In any case, IMO placing all Business AD objects in an OU
is cool and believe it can open up whole new possible uses
for SBServer by supporting multiple businesses or
departments, each with its own policy.

Tony Su