NLASVC

Mark

Jun 10, 2009, 3:42:47 PM6/10/09
Our Windows 2008 Terminal Server suffers from an NLASVC timeout error. The
event ID is 7011. What's important is once the error occurs, the server
must be restarted to resume operation. The timeout occurs once every 8 to
12 hours. The actual error is below. The server is running all of the
latest patches, including SP2. Can NLASVC be disabled?

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 6/10/2009 3:24:11 PM
Event ID: 7011
Task Category: None
Level: Error
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction
response from the NlaSvc service.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager"
Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service
Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7011</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>108237</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>KAVSAPP01.knopf.local</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">30000</Data>
<Data Name="param2">NlaSvc</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Jun 11, 2009, 9:20:31 AM6/11/09
Hello mark,

The Network Location Awareness service which collects and stores network
configuration information such as IP addresses, Workgroup and/or Domain name
changes (if your PC is connected to a Windows network), as well as Location
change information, and which notifies applications when this information
changes so that they in turn adapt to the computer's connectivity changes.
So you should not disable that service.

Is that service started and set to automatic? Do you run TrendMicro AntiVirus,
read about a problem with that AntiVirus software?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

Mark

Jun 12, 2009, 2:31:15 PM6/12/09
Thanks. For testing purposes, we ended up disabling the NLASVC and NIS
services. The server runs well without them. The NLASVC errors went away,
but the "Welcome Screen" hang is still present and the server becomes
unresponsive and must be rebooted daily. It has become such a problem, that
we may have have to buildout a replacement 2003 environment.

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Jun 12, 2009, 2:59:48 PM6/12/09
Hello mark,

"Welcome screen hang"? What do you mean with that, slow logons?

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Jun 12, 2009, 3:13:09 PM6/12/09
Hello mark,

Please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the TS and the DNS/DC.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> When the RDP session starts, the user is prompted for credentials.
> Once the credentials are entered and user presses enter (or the
> arrow), the RDP session displays "Welcome" with the rotating circle
> (to the left), but the log on never gets any further. We've waited
> over 20 minutes and nothing.
>
> Normally, a series of messages are displayed like load profile, etc.
>
> The event log is void of errors. The console is also hung. It has
> happened to all users and appears to the connection independent - RDP
> client version, OS version, do not matter. This happens at least once
> a day, sometimes more. A hard reboot is required to reactivate the
> server.

Mark

Mark

Jun 12, 2009, 3:19:26 PM6/12/09
This is from 1 of the 2 servers. Both crash, but this server has more
issues than the other.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\administrator.KNOPF>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : KAVSAPP01
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : knopf.local
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : knopf.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : knopf.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware PCI Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-BD-77-4A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.100.32.50(Preferred)
10.100.32.30
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.100.32.20
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.100.32.30
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Jun 12, 2009, 5:25:52 PM6/12/09
Hello mark,

DNS looks ok for this server. Because you said both problem machines are
Terminal servers, maybe you should think about posting to:
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services

Are the servers VM's, according to the NIC description VMWare? Are the latest
VMWare tools installed?

Mark

Jun 15, 2009, 10:59:42 AM6/15/09
Yes, I have been posting to that Newsgroup as well. Yes. both machines are
VM's and running the latest everything. We even took the time to move the
servers to entirely new hardware. Same issue.

Mark

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb(nospam)@gmx.de> wrote in message

Roger

Jul 15, 2009, 1:59:01 PM7/15/09

Mark,
I have the same problem with Citrix XenApps on Windows Server 2008. Did you
get your problem solved?

Mark

Jul 24, 2009, 3:32:05 PM7/24/09

I apologize for the late response. Our issue is not resolved. We are
testing a MS Personal Hotfix. The server no longer hangs, it simply crashes
and reboots. We're experiencing 2 or 3 crashes a week, down from 20 (two
servers).

"Roger" <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve

Jul 26, 2009, 12:24:01 AM7/26/09

We are experiencing this issue as well. Our servers exhibit the NLASVC issue
noted above.

I have updated the Broadcom NIC drivers (NetXtreme II GB) and it reduced the
number of crashes from 1-2 per day to about 1-2 per week.

I am interested in receiving this hotfix, once more publicly avaiable. Is
there a way to attach our issue to this case?

Anthony [MVP]

Jul 26, 2009, 5:00:06 AM7/26/09

Were these machines cloned?
Anthony,
http://www.airdesk.com

"Steve" <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve

Jul 26, 2009, 11:05:01 AM7/26/09
Yes and no. Some of them were cloned, and three of them were loaded
individually from a VLA CD. They are all identical hardware (DELL PE1950 G3).
We have 8 Terminal servers that are experiencing the issue.

The SIDs on all of the machines are all unique. We checked that.

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Jul 26, 2009, 11:31:54 AM7/26/09

> Yes and no. Some of them were cloned, and three of them were loaded
> individually from a VLA CD. They are all identical hardware (DELL PE1950
> G3).
> We have 8 Terminal servers that are experiencing the issue.
>
> The SIDs on all of the machines are all unique. We checked that.

Curious, how did you check that the SIDs are unique? Did you use a SID
changer?

IMO, SID changers to not work as advertised, no matter who designed them.
I've used imaging for many years, and long ago I've learned to use Sysprep
with the mini-setup option, to create a base image, which upon restart of
the base image, it goes through a mini-setup, sets up and creates a brand
new SID just like a new operating system. I've seen and heard numerous
issues using a base image that was not Sysprepped and using SID changers,
including what you are experiencing, as well as issues with the VSS writer,
joined machines not authenticating correctly or not even able to join them,
and numerous other issues.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from collaboration
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer
ace...@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org
http://twitter.com/acefekay

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

Steve

Jul 26, 2009, 12:07:02 PM7/26/09
I used the NEWSID tool to check the machine SID.

We used SYSPREP in order to prepare the images, used GHOST to copy them, and
ran the mini-setup on each machine.

Steve

Jul 26, 2009, 12:12:04 PM7/26/09
I used SYSPREP to change the SIDs on the machines (via the mini-setup option).

I used NEWSID to check the SIDs on the machines (but not change them).

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Jul 26, 2009, 3:35:39 PM7/26/09
Hello Steve,

If you have used sysprep, the SID should be different, or are all servers
Domain controller? Which option did you use with sysprep?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Jul 26, 2009, 4:29:21 PM7/26/09

>I used SYSPREP to change the SIDs on the machines (via the mini-setup
>option).
>
> I used NEWSID to check the SIDs on the machines (but not change them).

If you've used Sysprep with the mini-setup option, then there is no need to
check if the SIDs are unique, because Sysprep doesn't change the SIDs,
rather it creates a new SID for the machine and all subcomponents during the
mini-setup upon reboot.

What else is installed on this machine? What version of AV? Take a look at
this link where someone else had a similar problem that would up being Trend
causing it.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistanetworking/thread/bf4f3d94-09ca-4549-abe1-bfa3aae90458

Ace

Steve

Jul 26, 2009, 4:31:01 PM7/26/09
We used the mini setup option. I only used NewSID to determine the servers'
SIDs to make sure they were unique.

None of the affected servers are domain controllers; they are all TS servers
running three different RemoteApp applications.

To add insult to injury, we have two domain controllers that are in an
identical hardware configuration. No issues. We also have one PE1950 with
identical hardware that is used for utility operations running Hyper-V with 4
Win2003 guests. It runs at full memory and avg 73% CPU utilization all day
and night. Also no issues.

I've tried pretty much everything to narrow it down to one or two specific
variables. It seems to be: PE1950 G3, Broadcom NICs, Win 2008 SP2 or SP1, TS
Application Role. I've contacted DELL and we've run hardware diagnostics.
I've also taken two DELL 1750s, installed Win2008, TS App Role and placed
into our farm. No issues.

I'm pretty convinced that it's Win2008. If there's a trial/non-public hotfix
available, I'm willing to try it in our environment. Having the server crash
is better than having to hard power cycle it in order to get things running
again (I'd be screwed without intelligent PDUs).

Steve

Jul 26, 2009, 5:11:01 PM7/26/09
There is only one application being served from the affected machines. It was
installed on the 1750s as well.

I saw the problem regarding Trend Micro, and we have pulled all AV from the
affected environment. I just run nightly scans from a remote server (no agent
installed on the affected servers) until we isolate the problem. I know it's
not the best AV practice, but I'm trying to keep the number of variables
down. Also, the application is database driven, and files aren't exchanged
to/from the client computer. There is some printing, and the Easy Print
driver is used, but this is also the case on the unaffected computers.

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Jul 26, 2009, 5:59:07 PM7/26/09

> There is only one application being served from the affected machines. It
> was
> installed on the 1750s as well.
>
> I saw the problem regarding Trend Micro, and we have pulled all AV from
> the
> affected environment. I just run nightly scans from a remote server (no
> agent
> installed on the affected servers) until we isolate the problem. I know
> it's
> not the best AV practice, but I'm trying to keep the number of variables
> down. Also, the application is database driven, and files aren't exchanged
> to/from the client computer. There is some printing, and the Easy Print
> driver is used, but this is also the case on the unaffected computers.

Well, unless we missed something, it appears you've covered all the bases.
See if you can get that hotfix, and let us know if it works out for you.

Ace

Steve

Jul 26, 2009, 7:40:06 PM7/26/09
Mark,

Is there any way I can get the Case ID you have from Microsoft so I can get
my hands on that hotfix?

I can't explain in words how much that would help me.

Thank you,
Steve

Mark

Jul 27, 2009, 2:19:03 PM7/27/09
Steve,

I'll provide this information. Please contact me at the email address
below. I'll follow-up with the hotfix and any additional information.

mcast...@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Mark

"Steve" <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nathan

Sep 22, 2009, 7:15:01 PM9/22/09
I'm experiencing some remarkably similar symptoms at one of my clients.
Logged in users freeze, new sessions stop at the 'welcome' screen. Rather
than having to do a hard reboot, we've seen our servers "come back to life"
after 5-20 minutes, but with no way of knowing what is causing these freezes
or how long they're going to last, its not much better than having to
hard-boot the system to recover.

How have things been going for you in the last month or so? Have you
managed to eliminate these crashes altogether yet, or still having a a couple
per week?

Any news from Microsoft on a root-cause analysis or a public release for the
private hotfix mentioned?

Thanks,
Nathan

Rambie

Oct 13, 2009, 5:03:00 PM10/13/09
We also have started to see this issue. Dell PE2950 running a TS on
Windows 2008 x64. Lucky we only have seen it 4 times so far but they
are starting to get closer and closer together. First error is
always the same service but then a chain of these 7011 errors occurs
for various services until the server has to be hard-rebooted.

Date: 10/13/2009 1:14:29 PM

Event ID: 7011
Task Category: None
Level: Error
User: N/A

Computer: servername.domainname

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a
transaction response from the NlaSvc service.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>

<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{xxx}"

EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7011</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<EventRecordID>46464</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>servername.domainname</Computer>