new server 2008 in domain and migrate stuff from 2003

dave64

Jul 3, 2011, 1:54:49 PM7/3/11
I hope the subject was OK. I'm looking for advice / caveats. Will
be adding a Server 2008 to a domain now controlled by a Server 2003.
Will be keeping the 2003 computer after migration but its role will
change. Currently 2003 runs AD, DHCP and DNS. I'd like to get all
of that over to the new 2008 machine.

We want the 2003 serer to be running up to the last minute as is.
Then I suppose migrate users and stuff to the new computer (ADMT or
some such). Then demote the 2003 computer. At that point
authentication would be done by the 2008 computer but the applications
on the 2003 machine would still be there and run unchanged.

At our leisure then we could move (and upgrade) our apps and data to
the 2008 computer.

This should work, right? If there are any good articles on this I'd
appreciate being pointed to them

Thanks.