ADMT 3 Local User Profile not translated

Mikael Schvili

Oct 30, 2007, 5:16:00 AM10/30/07

I am in the process of testing ADMT in preparation of a inter forest
migration.

Attempting to migrate a test user and computer I've successfully run the
User, Computer and Security Translation Wizards (successfully in ters of no
errors displayed or in logs). But when user logs on to the target domain XP
creates a new empty local profile (named user.DOMAIN) instead of the existing
one.

Two-way forests trust with SID-filtering disabled is in place. Domain Admins
from both domains is member of XP local Administration. ADMT is run as
administrator in the Target domain.

Any clues to what may cause this behaviour would be appreciated.

BR,
Mikael

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Oct 30, 2007, 11:45:07 PM10/30/07
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I suggest you refer to the following article to see if you
have translated local user profiles successfully:

Translating Local User Profiles
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/e9197ee7-d959-4b00-af
f4-19b575ba28561033.mspx?mfr=true

Download details: V3MigGuide
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=D99EF770-3BBB-4B9E-
A8BC-01E9F7EF7342&displaylang=en

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

Mikael Schvili

Oct 31, 2007, 4:31:00 AM10/31/07
Thanks Ken. But have read both of them carefully before. Can you think of any
advise with regards to my specific problem?

Update: Since my last post I have verified that the original profil is
translated. So it's pretty easy to revert to it by simply changing the name
of the profile folder. But asking the users to logon only to create that new
profile, then to log off to allow me to rename it... well that's one extra
step we certainly would like to avoid as we're about to migrate 200 users in
seven countries over a weekend.

BR,
Mikael

Mikael Schvili

Oct 31, 2007, 6:56:00 AM10/31/07
Problem finaly solved by reg hack preventing ADMT from switching to Add mode
when profile appears locked.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ADMT\DisallowFallbackToAddInProfileTranslation
(REG_DWORD) = 1

BR,
Mikael

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Nov 1, 2007, 4:27:26 AM11/1/07
Hello,

Thank you for your solution and experience sharing with us.

Cosy De

Feb 2, 2012, 12:22:19 AM2/2/12
HI,

Can you send some information how you applied this for all the Workstation?

As