How to resize a Windows 2003 partition?

gi...@web.de

Nov 9, 2003, 1:15:41 PM11/9/03
Hi!

How can I resize on a windows 2003 server a partition ?

Regards,

gicio

Ace Fekay [MVP]

Nov 9, 2003, 1:19:02 PM11/9/03
In news:bom08e$1g47uc$1...@news.hansenet.net,
gi...@web.de <gi...@web.de> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine

This is not an AD question.

If you mean the harddrive's partition size on a machine, you can use
Partition Magic or you can fudge it with Ghost.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

=================================

gi...@web.de

Nov 9, 2003, 3:04:08 PM11/9/03
Partition Magic doesn't work with windows 2003!

regards,

gicio

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNa...@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uG2263up...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Ace Fekay [MVP]

Nov 9, 2003, 3:08:47 PM11/9/03
In news:bom6jp$1fo23a$1...@news.hansenet.net,

gi...@web.de <gi...@web.de> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> Partition Magic doesn't work with windows 2003!
>

> regards,
>

> gicio
Well, that I didn't know. Maybe they'll have a release for it.

If that's the case, why not use the Ghost method? That should support it.
Ghost it over to a file, then Ghost it back on the drive and increase the
partition size when asked what size the partition should be.

Kristofer Gafvert

Nov 9, 2003, 3:42:33 PM11/9/03
Hello,

I think that VolumeManager works on Windows Server 2003. It is not listed as
supported, so you might want to ask PowerQuest if you consider buying it.
Other software is BootIT NG:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

(How come this is an AD, networking or security problem?)

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert

Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]

Nov 9, 2003, 4:13:02 PM11/9/03
They won't, it's a client application in the same way Norton AV is (you
would need Symantec Corporate AV for a server). Like Norton/Symantec, there
is a server edition out, dubbed Server Magic:
http://www.powerquest.com/servermagic/

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server]
http://www.imbored.biz - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step

message news:O1c7P1vp...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Kristofer Gafvert

Nov 9, 2003, 4:18:45 PM11/9/03
It was once named ServerMagic, but is now called VolumeManager. Server Magic
is now for NetWare only, please see:
http://www.powerquest.com/servermagic/smnwreq.cfm

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert
Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but please
do not.

"Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]" <jma...@mvps.org> wrote in message

gi...@web.de

Nov 9, 2003, 4:30:49 PM11/9/03
Hi!!

I try 5 min. ago the trial.And it doesn't work on a windows 2003 server :(

regards,

gicio

"Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]" <jma...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Geoff

Nov 9, 2003, 4:48:07 PM11/9/03
No way would I risk it. Backup data, and reconfigure partitions during
reinstallation - it's the only surefire way.

Geoff.

Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]

Nov 9, 2003, 6:07:30 PM11/9/03
Sorry!

The Partition Magic for servers rang the "Server Magic" bell in my head.
Volume Manager was the product I was thinking of, but as you said, 2003
isn't supported

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server]
http://www.imbored.biz - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step
tutorial site :-)
Only reply by newsgroup. If I see an email I didn't ask for, it will be
deleted without reading.

"Kristofer Gafvert" <kgaf...@NEWSilopia.com> wrote in message

Steven Liu

Nov 10, 2003, 2:01:22 AM11/10/03
Hi Gicio,

You can use the GHOST to dump the data of the all partitions on the hard
disk to another hard disk.

Then, re-create partitions on thehard disk. Use the GHost to copy the data
back.

Note: please use the latest version GHOST which supports the NTFS directly.
It's necessary to backup the data before doing this.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

Ace Fekay [MVP]

Nov 10, 2003, 7:06:51 PM11/10/03
In news:bombma$1fn8fv$1...@news.hansenet.net,

gi...@web.de <gi...@web.de> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
> Hi!!
>
> I try 5 min. ago the trial.And it doesn't work on a windows 2003
> server :(
>
> regards,
>
> gicio

Maybe the full version works? Was there any documentation at their site
concerning Win2003?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

Nov 10, 2003, 7:08:18 PM11/10/03
In news:u3$zBIwpD...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Kristofer Gafvert <kgaf...@NEWSilopia.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine

> (How come this is an AD, networking or security problem?)

Apparently cross posted. I agree, this has nothing to do with the groups you
mentioned.

Robin

Nov 11, 2003, 11:39:27 AM11/11/03
Some time ago I needed to resize the system partition on an NT4 Server - I
used Partition Manager from Paragon (I couldn't afford the DataQuest product
for once only use...) - it did some unwelcome stuff to my shares, but
nothing more than a slight annoyance. And they advertise their latest
version covers Server2003.

http://www.partition-manager.com/

Robin

message news:u9Ry8e#pDHA...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

S. Pidgorny <MVP>

Nov 12, 2003, 4:19:42 AM11/12/03
There's also partition resizing tool supporting NTFS included with SuSE (or
shouls I say Novell) Linux. It's inexpensive, and you get El Cheapo as a
bonus.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Robin" <robin_...@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message

kimj...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2012, 3:53:59 AM8/17/12
to gi...@web.de
Resize system and data partition in Windows 2003 with Partition Magic Server Edition--Partition Assistant server. As Partition Magic alternative, it do resize partition in Windows 2003 and keep your data intact. How to resize server 2003 please learn this link: http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2003/resize-partition-windows-server-2003.html