DNS - NSlookup 'DNS Reqest timed out' for 2 sec with FQDN

CptKirk

Feb 23, 2009, 5:45:02 PM2/23/09
Hi All,

I am having some issues with my network and thought it may have something to
do with DNS as sometimes a machine will no longer ping the domain.

Running a NSlookup I have no issues with the host name only but seem to get
a 2 second time out when using the FQDN, however, all seems fine if I add a
"." at the end of the FQDN.

Checked other forums and they recomended checking PTRs they are all fine.

Just to be clear
NSlookup lcka-mg1
and
NSlookup lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl.
have no issues

My problem arrises with
NSlookup lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl (without the . at the end)
I get a DNS request timed out for 2 seconds then resolves????

All are on the same physical 2003 SP2 network.

Has anyone seen this before?
--
CK

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

Feb 24, 2009, 11:09:31 AM2/24/09
In news:0D6036EB-D9BF-462F...@microsoft.com,
CptKirk <Cpt...@discussions.microsoft.com>, posted the following:

Hello Captain,

Nslookup will use the search suffix to devlove the query, hence why the
period works. What is the Primary DNS Suffix and Search Suffix of the
machine you are running this set to? Can you post an ipconfig /all of the
machine you are running this from, please?

Thanks,

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCT
Microsoft Certified Trainer
ace...@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

CptKirk

Feb 24, 2009, 11:33:10 AM2/24/09
Thanks for the reply Ace,

I am running this IPConfig from the DNS Server itself

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LCKA-MG1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : all.edu.lcl
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : all.edu.lcl
edu.lcl

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-B6-44-C7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
10.255.20.20
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.222.4.18

Hope this helps?

--
CK

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

Feb 25, 2009, 12:42:06 AM2/25/09
In news:FA20327D-9B8F-4ADE...@microsoft.com,

CptKirk <Cpt...@discussions.microsoft.com>, posted the following:

Yes, thank you!

Look in the NIC properties, IP properties, Adv, DNS tab. Please describe
what is checked or selected.

Also, try unchecking " Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix,"
and repeat the test.

Ace

CptKirk

Feb 25, 2009, 4:24:01 AM2/25/09
OK here is the contents under the DNS tab of Network Properties

DNS server addresses, in order of use:
10.222.4.18
10.255.20.20

Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes is selected.
Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix is checked
Register this connection's addresses in DNS is checked

all other options are not selected/checked

unchecked Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix and applied

Tested-

nslookup lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

nslookup lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name: lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.13

No change.

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

Feb 25, 2009, 10:16:21 PM2/25/09
In news:EEBE4650-FD0B-4819...@microsoft.com,

CptKirk <Cpt...@discussions.microsoft.com>, posted the following:

This definitely has to do with your search suffix.

Click on "Append these DNS suffixes (in order):" and only put in edu.lcl,
then try it again, but please use nslookup in interactive mode instead of
batch mode the way you've been running it. To run it in interactive mode,
simply type in nslookup and hit <enter>. A bracket ">" prompt comes up. At
the prompt, type in your search string "lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl" without the
period.

I also would like you to run nslookup with the diagnostic switch. To do
that, type in 'nslookup -d2" and hit enter. Then at the ">" prompt, type in
"lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl" (without the period) and hit enter again. Post your
results please from when you first typed in "nslookup -d2" please.

You can also use nslookup telling it to not append any search string. Run it
in interactive mode by typing in nslookup, then enter, then type in "set
nodefname," enter, then "lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl" (no period), and post the
results.

Thanks,

Ace

CptKirk

Feb 26, 2009, 5:25:01 AM2/26/09
Here is the contents of dos with edu.lcl entered into "Append these DNS
suffixes (in order):" of the NIC properties-

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin.ALL>nslookup
Default Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

> lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name: lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.13

> exit

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin.ALL>nslookup -d2
------------
SendRequest(), len 42
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: query, want recursion
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
18.4.222.10.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

------------
------------
Got answer (79 bytes):
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
18.4.222.10.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> 18.4.222.10.in-addr.arpa
type = PTR, class = IN, dlen = 25
name = lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
ttl = 1200 (20 mins)

------------
Address: 10.222.4.18

> lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

------------
SendRequest(), len 52
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: query, want recursion
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.edu.lcl, type = A, class = IN

------------

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.

timeout (2 secs)
SendRequest failed
------------
SendRequest(), len 41
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: query, want recursion
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl, type = A, class = IN

------------
------------
Got answer (57 bytes):
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl, type = A, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
type = A, class = IN, dlen = 4
internet address = 10.222.4.13
ttl = 1200 (20 mins)

------------
Name: lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.13

> set nodefname

> lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

------------
SendRequest(), len 52
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 4, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: query, want recursion
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.edu.lcl, type = A, class = IN

------------

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.

timeout (2 secs)
SendRequest failed
------------
SendRequest(), len 41
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 5, rcode = NOERROR
[...]

Nothing like a good problem to learn something new.
Thanks Ace

--
CK

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

Feb 27, 2009, 2:22:22 AM2/27/09
In news:4CD82911-674D-463D...@microsoft.com,

CptKirk <Cpt...@discussions.microsoft.com>, posted the following:

Yes, an interesting issue. See the section below. You asked it to query "
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl", but it queried for "lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.edu.lcl"
(look at the 'Questions' section). Apparently it is appending the search
suffix.

> lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

------------
SendRequest(), len 52
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: query, want recursion
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.edu.lcl, type = A, class = IN

Uncheck append parent suffix again, and re-run nslookup with -d2.

Is there a GPO setting set somewhere to add a suffix?

Ace

CptKirk

Mar 2, 2009, 5:40:00 AM3/2/09
Could not find any GPO settings to set a suffix.

However, I added just all.edu.lcl and this seems to have resolved the 2
second time out issue.

Just looking up how to deploy this to all the desktops.

Here is the contents of command window-

------------
SendRequest(), len 56

HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: query, want recursion
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.all.edu.lcl, type = A, class = IN

------------
------------
Got answer (126 bytes):
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NXDOMAIN

header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.

questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 1, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.all.edu.lcl, type = A, class = IN
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> all.edu.lcl
type = SOA, class = IN, dlen = 44
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
primary name server = lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.all.edu.lcl
serial = 419
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

------------

Not sure if this is the end of all my troubles or not as you noticed
previously it is still referencing "lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.all.edu.lcl"?

--
CK

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

Mar 3, 2009, 1:21:55 AM3/3/09
In news:3D706212-5BF1-4648...@microsoft.com,

CptKirk <Cpt...@discussions.microsoft.com>, posted the following:
> Could not find any GPO settings to set a suffix.
>
> However, I added just all.edu.lcl and this seems to have resolved the
> 2 second time out issue.
>
> Just looking up how to deploy this to all the desktops.
>
> Here is the contents of command window-

<snipped>

> Not sure if this is the end of all my troubles or not as you noticed

> previously it is still referencing "lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl.all.edu.lcl"?

Yea, I see that. Run it again without the -d2 and see how it works.

Ace

CptKirk

Mar 3, 2009, 4:46:07 AM3/3/09
Yeah all seems good now with just the standard lookup?

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin.ALL>nslookup

Address: 10.222.4.18

> lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Server: lcka-mg1.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.18

Name: lcka-dc2.all.edu.lcl
Address: 10.222.4.13

Looks like my only way to get the clients the same is to use Group Policies
or a reghack.

--
CK

Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]

Mar 4, 2009, 12:13:50 AM3/4/09

"CptKirk" <Cpt...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Captain,

See if these links help to guide you with a GPO. Test it in one OU. I'm not
sure if it will remove the current Search Suffix, so test it to make sure
you get the desired results.

How to configure a domain suffix search list on the Domain Name System
clients
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275553

How to Configure the DNS Suffix Search List for a Disjoint Namespace

Ace

Message has been deleted

sdmu...@gmail.com

May 19, 2016, 7:16:29 AM5/19/16

I am facing same issue, how to fix.

C:\Users\admin>nslookup
Default Server: dc01.abc.com
Address: 10.1.1.100

> set debug
> server1.abc.com
Server: dc01.abc.com
Address: 10.1.1.100

------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NXDOMAIN
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 1, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
server1.abc.com.abc.com, type = A, class = IN
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> abc.com
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
primary name server = dc01.abc.com
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.abc.com
serial = 10712
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

------------
------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NXDOMAIN
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 1, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
server1.abc.com.abc.com, type = AAAA, class = IN
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> abc.com
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
primary name server = dc01.abc.com
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.abc.com
serial = 10712
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

------------
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
timeout (2 secs)
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
timeout (2 secs)
------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 6, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
Server1.abc.com, type = A, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> server1.abc.com
internet address = 10.1.10.247
ttl = 1200 (20 mins)

------------
------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 7, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion avail.
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 1, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
server1.abc.com, type = AAAA, class = IN
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> abc.com
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
primary name server = dc01.abc.com
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.abc.com
serial = 10712
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)