Deleted DNS Records Showing Back Up Again

DigitalJanitor

May 21, 2010, 11:03:01 AM5/21/10
I have a Windows 2003 domain. I have a server that is multi-homed.
One of my colleagues configured one of the NICs to have an internal private
IP address of 172.16.x.x which is our internal network and the other to have
a different private IP 192.168.250.x that goes to our new data domain. The
problem is, when he did this he left the check mark to register the DeDup
NIC in DNS when we only wanted the internal NIC registered. After
correcting the configuration the DeDup 192.168.250.x address keeps popping
back up in DNS which reeks a little bit of havoc with connectivity. We have
deleted the entry in DNS several times now from every DNS server but it
keeps popping back up the next day. Where should I be looking for this
address? Is it cached on one of the DC's and get's populated in again from
that or ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated -
Jon

Danny Sanders

May 21, 2010, 4:12:40 PM5/21/10

If this is a DC that is multihomed that is a bad idea.
See if this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272294

hth
DDS

"DigitalJanitor" <lanm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]

May 22, 2010, 1:20:08 AM5/22/10

In addition to Danny's link, please read my blog on Multihomed DCs. It
explains in full detail what is going on, why it's happening, and
additional steps you *may* need to take to alleviate it.

Multihomed DCs with DNS, RRAS, and/or PPPoE adapters
http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/17/multihomed-dcs-with-dns-rras-and-or-pppoe-adapters.aspx

Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

May 24, 2010, 2:31:04 PM5/24/10

Hello Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT],

Sorry for this way to contact you, trying to send an email but it is blocked.
Or do you have a new one? Mine didn't change.

"Recipient not authorized, your IP has been found on a block list "

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]

May 24, 2010, 4:24:36 PM5/24/10

Private email sent.

Ace

Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

May 24, 2010, 5:07:41 PM5/24/10
Hello Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT],

Still the same problem:

host mail.bandxxxxxxxxx.com[72.94.xxx.xx] said: 550
5.7.1 Recipient not authorized, your IP has been found on a block list

Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]

May 25, 2010, 11:01:29 AM5/25/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:07:41 +0000 (UTC), Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
<meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de> wrote:

>Hello Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT],
>

>Still the same problem:
>
>host mail.bandxxxxxxxxx.com[72.94.xxx.xx] said: 550
>5.7.1 Recipient not authorized, your IP has been found on a block list
>
>Best regards
>
>Meinolf Weber

Replied privately.

DigitalJanitor

May 25, 2010, 3:15:04 PM5/25/10
Everyone that sent me a note about this thank you very much. It is NOT
a DC but the situation seems to have fixed itself. The entry hasn't shown
back up for a number of days now so I'm thinking it's taken of of in AD/DNS.

Thanks again -
Jon

"Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]" <ace...@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org>

Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]

May 26, 2010, 12:08:09 PM5/26/10
On Tue, 25 May 2010 14:15:04 -0500, "DigitalJanitor"
<lanm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone that sent me a note about this thank you very much. It is NOT
>a DC but the situation seems to have fixed itself. The entry hasn't shown
>back up for a number of days now so I'm thinking it's taken of of in AD/DNS.
>
> Thanks again -
> Jon

I'm happy to hear it's resolved.

Cheers!

Ace

com3...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2013, 5:52:53 AM1/19/13
I have the some problem like DigitalJanitor.
But in Windows 2008 Std R2. I configured the second network and changed DNS config. After fail result deleted the entry in DNS several times.
In the event Server not resolving itself (nslookup fails), cant connect computers to domain etc. In network is one domain controller - AD, DNS, DHCP server.
First I want to cleanly delete DNS and reinstall it correctly. Please help me. I realy don't want to reinstall servers and ~100 pc's in 40 hours. After thar system will have to function.

Don Kuenz

Jan 20, 2013, 11:43:03 AM1/20/13
It's my understanding that a fully functional DNS is a prerequisite for
starting AD. In Windows 2003 AD needs a minimum of four DNS entries:

CNAME DsaGuid._msdcs.your.domain.name
SRV _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.your.domain.name
SRV _ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.your.domain.name
SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.your.domain.name

Starting with those four records an AD will automatically populate its
own zone with the missing (typically SRV) records. Perhaps this explains
the resurrection of deleted records in your Domain.

The unique GUID of the host is the key to the CNAME record. It unlocks
everything, at least name wise.

--
Don Kuenz

Don Kuenz

Jan 20, 2013, 12:01:29 PM1/20/13
(superseded to fix a botched first posting.)