Re: run powershell always as admin ?

Joel Jaykul Bennett

Oct 23, 2007, 12:57:45 PM10/23/07
I know I'm dredging up an old topic, but I don't see a better answer,
so I thought I'd throw this out there anyway.

On Mar 1, 1:43 pm, "Lee Holmes [MSFT]"
<lee.hol...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> In Vista's UAC model, you don't enable your Administrator rights for an
> application until you've gone through an elevation prompt. So yes, this
> means that you will be required to type in your credentials (or click "OK")

This is not necessarily true -- you can use a scheduled task ...

In Vista, if you type "Powershell" into the start menu and then press
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, you should get the elevation prompt without any need
for mouse interaction. Of course, you can also use a scheduled task,
if you're running in an account that's a member of the
"administrators" group...

> > This approach would still require me to enter the password for the
> > admin account each time I run the shell.

If you're using an account which is a member of the administrators
group, you can create a "scheduled" task, set it to run "with highest
privileges" and allow it to be run manually. The task can only be run
by your user account, so you're still protected against other users,
and it has to be run through scheduled tasks (so it's not a proper
'setuid' replacement), but it works. I posted about it awhile back
here:

http://huddledmasses.org/vista-setuid-how-to-elevate-without-prompting/

Oisin Grehan

Oct 24, 2007, 12:57:04 PM10/24/07

Sounds like a good basis for a new sidebar widget that can launch a
pre-set list of commonly used setuid apps. Any APIs for this?

- Oisin