Win8 Networking is Down

rickman

Aug 17, 2015, 9:35:28 AM8/17/15
I've been having problems lately where my internet connection would go
bad after a day or so. I would reset the connecting using the commands

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log

I'd reboot and it would work again. Then I discovered that just
rebooting would fix the problem. But the problem started showing up
more often. More recently I've found that just disabling and reenabling
the WiFi adapter will fix the problem. Finally the problem returns
after just seconds. I can check email one time successfully (only if I
am quick) then it goes bad again.

I am able to access newsgroups using Thunderbird and the networking
trouble shooter finds the connection to be working properly.

I am at a loss on how to even proceed troubleshooting this.

--

Rick

Norm X

Sep 24, 2015, 5:29:43 PM9/24/15
"rickman" wrote
You need to analyze your WiFi spectrum. InSSIDer is free:
http://inssider.com/downloads/

Entropy always increases. You had good WiFi but now it has degraded because
you have neighbors. Find out what channels are good which are bad. Adjust
your AP.

rickman

Sep 24, 2015, 5:40:01 PM9/24/15
Thanks for the advice. The issue is internal to my laptop, not with the
wifi.

--

Rick

Norm X

Sep 25, 2015, 7:14:36 PM9/25/15
<much snippage>

>>> I am at a loss on how to even proceed troubleshooting this.
>
> The issue is internal to my laptop, not with the wifi.

Are you saying your troubeshooting tools are working now?

rickman

Sep 25, 2015, 10:39:38 PM9/25/15
I'm saying the problem has nothing to do with the wifi signal being weak
or interfered with. The problem exists in more than one location for
starters. Other users at each location don't have the same problems I do.

The symptoms have always been very inconsistent. The details of what
doesn't work varies a lot. Sometimes some features don't work, other
times other features don't work or it all works. One point that seems
to work all the time is to ping 8.8.8.8, it always gives a response.

Most recently the email program reports an error about not having enough
buffer space. Sometimes this affects both of the email address I
download email from. Sometimes it affects only one of the two. At
those times the newsreader often has intermittent troubles.

I finally found one thing that seems to fix the problem for at least
days. If I power the computer down, unplug power, remove the battery
and hold the power button for 5 seconds, the computer will boot up
working again. Just powering it down will not make it work. I have not
had enough chances to see if the power button thing is required.

Any ideas?

--

Rick