How to Initialise MCE for a TV Tuner?

XRaySpeX

Nov 15, 2007, 12:51:01 PM11/15/07
I have never been able to use my MCE (XP Media Center Edition 2005 with
Update Rollup 2 pre-installed) to setup or view TV from my installed
digital/analog TV Tuner. I think it may because I did not have an aerial
connected when Windows first initialised itself on the first day I switched
on the PC from new; but it has not got any better since connecting an aerial
and trying to setup the tuner again.

Whenever I use MCE to try and setup the TV Signal or to view My TV, it
either bombs straight out or says "TV Signal: Setup Canceled" even after
warning me that changing my TV Signal Setup will affect any recordings in
progress, which I accept, cuz I never had any to record!

I know the TV Tuner itself is working because I can watch TV in ordinary
Windows using non-MCE TV display programs.

I have tried to reset MCE by either running the MCE Configuration program
from
www.salloway.org.uk or manually removing the Settings, Service\EPG and
Service\Tuner keys from the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center
section of the Registry and then running up MCE into its Setup Wizard mode.

It goes through the motions but ends up with with the same problems. On the
way it keeps reporting a CRITICAL PROCESS FAILURE (code 3) at various stages :
- Setting up Internet Connection
- No Set-Top Box
- Yes, use Program Guide
- Auto Download Guide

These symptoms are similar to those in KB886904 but I do not have the
conditions there that cause this. I have a correct version 2.0.50727.253 of
Mscoree.dll (later than v 1.1.4322.2032 in the KB). However I do have an
earlier version 1.1.4322.573 in the folder \WINDOWS\system32\URTTemp, but I
don't expect this 1 to be used. Could this be the cause of my problems?
Nevertheless I did try the Resolution given in the KB to no avail.

I have also tried "C:\windows\Ehome\medctrro.exe /o RunOnce" but it appears
to do nothing and its log MedCtrOC.log is not touched. I don't get any
ngen.exe
failures doing this, showing I have the correct version of .NET Framework 1.1.

Anybody got any ideas?

JW

Nov 15, 2007, 3:35:42 PM11/15/07
What make/model tuner do you have?
If it is a analog/DVB-T tuner have you tried both the analog and the DVB-T
tuners with an antenna connected?

"XRaySpeX" <XRay...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jaime

Nov 15, 2007, 4:20:27 PM11/15/07
Just because the tuner works with the standard XP interface, doesn't mean it
is MCE compatible tuner. If it is compatible, it most likely has specific
MCE drivers that need to be loaded. Since you didn't tell us anything about
your system, it's hard to say whether or not the tuner is compatible.
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

XRaySpeX

Nov 15, 2007, 8:55:01 PM11/15/07
I just noticed as I posted this that my version 2.0.50727.253 of Mscoree.dll
is unlike the rest of my .NET Framework 1.1 files which have version nos.
like 1.1.4322.2407.

Could this be the problem?
Have I got a component of .NET Framework 2.0 installed within a system that
only has .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 installed?

Correction:

"XRaySpeX" wrote:

> These symptoms are similar to those in KB886904 but I do not have the
> conditions there that cause this.

I mean similar to those in KB910905 (not KB886904).

XRaySpeX

Nov 15, 2007, 9:06:02 PM11/15/07
"JW" wrote:

> What make/model tuner do you have?

ASUSTek LNA Tiger Hybrid Capture Device.
It came integrated in my new HP Media Center PC.
One would hope that HP would supply the PC installed with ALL the necessary
drivers for the Tuner to work under MCE.

> If it is a analog/DVB-T tuner have you tried both the analog and the DVB-T
> tuners with an antenna connected?

It is a hybrid analog/DVB-T tuner.
Yes, I have tried to setup both under MCE with the identical problem.
Both tuners are detected by one of the non-MCE TV display program (the other
program only caters for analog).

XRaySpeX

Nov 15, 2007, 9:21:00 PM11/15/07
The tuner is a ASUSTek LNA Tiger Hybrid Capture Device.
It came integrated in my new HP Media Center PC.
One would hope that HP would supply the PC installed with ALL the necessary
drivers for the Tuner to work under MCE.
After all, they provided absolutely no other means of using the Tuner
outside MCE; it was obviously designed to be used solely under MCE. I had to
trawl the Net to find any TV display programs that would run just under XP!

Zedd_UK

Nov 16, 2007, 9:10:01 AM11/16/07
Just want to say that I have two fo these cards and they both work fine for me.

I got the latest drivers via Windows Update rather than the Asus website -
which has about 7 different drivers and only one "kind of" worked.

One is in a Vista Ultimate rig and the other Win XP Pro.

In Vista Ultimate it works fine in Media Centre but I don't have a XP-MCE
rig to test it on but it works brilliantly in Mediaportal...

Suffice to say that I'm sure it is compatible with XP-MCE but you may want
to unistall the card and drivers and then try the ones that are avialable
from Windows Update.

RalfG

Nov 16, 2007, 10:13:09 AM11/16/07
HP typically provides installable drivers for the tuner on your harddrive.
Look in PC Help and Tools and run the Application Recovery program. There
are usually several models of cards that might be installed in the computer
range that the recovery software supports. If the wrong driver or files
install initially the card won't work properly or at all. Confirm that
drivers for your TV card are available to be installed, uninstall the
exisiting driver and install the proper ones. Reboot between steps.

If there are any updated drivers they will be on the HP support page for
your computer model. I wouldn't bother going to ASUS as the HP card is OEM
and may not be an exact match anything for else that ASUS provides
drivers/software for.

"XRaySpeX" <XRay...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

XRaySpeX

Nov 20, 2007, 9:01:01 AM11/20/07
Thanks, Ralf, but I am completely up-to-date with the tuner drivers, both
from HP & ASUS sites. They make no diff to behaviour of MCE. Anyway, I'm sure
that it's nothing to do with the tuner itself.

The "CRITICAL PROCESS FAILURE"'s occur throughout MCE well before it even
tries to tune the TV. All the indications and anecdotes are that it is some
conflict between MCE and .NET Framework, much like KB910905, which I tried to
no avail.

Should I really have a .NET Framework 2.0 version of Mscoree.dll (v.
2.0.50727.253) present, when I only have .NET Framework 1.1 installed?

XRaySpeX

Nov 20, 2007, 9:03:04 AM11/20/07
"Zedd_UK" wrote:

> Suffice to say that I'm sure it is compatible with XP-MCE but you may want
> to unistall the card and drivers and then try the ones that are avialable
> from Windows Update.

Done that, been there -> no diff :(

geertvalk

Jan 28, 2010, 2:44:46 AM1/28/10

Although its an old topic:

Had the same problem. Asus Tiger Hybrid Card 7131 woks fine in Windows 7 Enterprise.
In Windows XP Professional it faled to set up.
Working on a multiboot system with Windows XP, Windows Professional and Windows Enterprise.

What I did:
- worked in XP
-- renamed in Windows Pro the folder x:\windows\ehome to ehome_xxx
-- copied from Windows Enterprise the same folder to Windows Pro.
- restart sytem to Windows Professional

I was able to start and configure Windows Media Center.

The difference: there was just the englisch language folder in the 'ehome'-folder.
By purpose I did not 'finish' the configuration. I copied the dutch (nl-nl) language folder back, tried to configure and it failed.

So remeoved it again, configured WMC complete, copied back the dutch folder

XRaySpe wrote:

RE: How to Initialise MCE for a TV Tuner?
20-Nov-07

"Zedd_UK" wrote:

Done that, been there -> no diff :(

On Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:51 PM
XRaySpe wrote:

[...]

On Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:35 PM
JW wrote:

What make/model tuner do you have?
What make/model tuner do you have?

If it is a analog/DVB-T tuner have you tried both the analog and the DVB-T
tuners with an antenna connected?

On Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:20 PM
Jaime wrote:

Just because the tuner works with the standard XP interface, doesn't mean it
Just because the tuner works with the standard XP interface, doesn't mean it
is MCE compatible tuner. If it is compatible, it most likely has specific
MCE drivers that need to be loaded. Since you didn't tell us anything about
your system, it's hard to say whether or not the tuner is compatible.
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

"XRaySpeX" <XRay...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

"XRaySpeX" wrote:

I mean similar to those in KB910905 (not KB886904).

"JW" wrote:

ASUSTek LNA Tiger Hybrid Capture Device.
It came integrated in my new HP Media Center PC.
One would hope that HP would supply the PC installed with ALL the necessary
drivers for the Tuner to work under MCE.

It is a hybrid analog/DVB-T tuner.

Yes, I have tried to setup both under MCE with the identical problem.
Both tuners are detected by one of the non-MCE TV display program (the other
program only caters for analog).

On Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:21 PM
XRaySpe wrote:

The tuner is a ASUSTek LNA Tiger Hybrid Capture Device.
The tuner is a ASUSTek LNA Tiger Hybrid Capture Device.
It came integrated in my new HP Media Center PC.
One would hope that HP would supply the PC installed with ALL the necessary
drivers for the Tuner to work under MCE.
After all, they provided absolutely no other means of using the Tuner
outside MCE; it was obviously designed to be used solely under MCE. I had to
trawl the Net to find any TV display programs that would run just under XP!

"Jaime" wrote:

On Friday, November 16, 2007 9:10 AM
Zedd_U wrote:

Just want to say that I have two fo these cards and they both work fine for me.
Just want to say that I have two fo these cards and they both work fine for me.

I got the latest drivers via Windows Update rather than the Asus website -
which has about 7 different drivers and only one "kind of" worked.

One is in a Vista Ultimate rig and the other Win XP Pro.

In Vista Ultimate it works fine in Media Centre but I don't have a XP-MCE
rig to test it on but it works brilliantly in Mediaportal...

Suffice to say that I'm sure it is compatible with XP-MCE but you may want

to unistall the card and drivers and then try the ones that are avialable
from Windows Update.

"XRaySpeX" wrote:

On Friday, November 16, 2007 10:13 AM
RalfG wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:01 AM
XRaySpe wrote:

Thanks, Ralf, but I am completely up-to-date with the tuner drivers, both from
Thanks, Ralf, but I am completely up-to-date with the tuner drivers, both
from HP & ASUS sites. They make no diff to behaviour of MCE. Anyway, I'm sure
that it's nothing to do with the tuner itself.

The "CRITICAL PROCESS FAILURE"'s occur throughout MCE well before it even
tries to tune the TV. All the indications and anecdotes are that it is some
conflict between MCE and .NET Framework, much like KB910905, which I tried to
no avail.

Should I really have a .NET Framework 2.0 version of Mscoree.dll (v.
2.0.50727.253) present, when I only have .NET Framework 1.1 installed?

"RalfG" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:03 AM
XRaySpe wrote:

RE: How to Initialise MCE for a TV Tuner?
"Zedd_UK" wrote:

Done that, been there -> no diff :(

C#.NET and COM Interop
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/917881ce-7228-4b0c-8610-bc2550430968/cnet-and-com-interop.aspx

Curious

Jan 28, 2010, 9:49:58 AM1/28/10
MC in MCE2005 requires that all configured tuners always be available so it
will only allow one tuner on a hybrid tuner card to be configured since the
two tuners can not be used concurrently.
MCin MCE 2005 also require that an analog tuner have an onboard MPEG2
encoder chip or have an analog driver that uses the DVB driver interface
standard required by MC with a software encoder contained within the driver.
Have you tried configuring only the analog tuner or only the DVB-T tuner?.

Sean

Nov 2, 2010, 9:03:34 AM11/2/10
I've had the same problem with a customers HP Media PC.

It's hard drive crashed, so I put in a new hard drive and reloaded Windows Media Center 2005 using the code from the sticker.

Windows detects Asus Tiger TV Tuner card no problem and installs correct drivers, but when you go into Media Center and search for channels it can't find any channels.

I figured this may just be a TV Tuner card problem, so bought a completely different brand TV Tuner card(Leadtek) and it does exactly the same thing. Driver installs no problem but can't find any channels. I even tried using the Leadtek TV Tuner program and even it can't find channels.

I finally got the $h!ts with it and loaded Windows 7 and media center works fine with the original Asus Tiger card. My conclusion: Win Media Center 2005 is a highly flawed operating system and HP have custom add-on's which make the tuner card work.

>> If it is a analog/DVB-T tuner have you tried both the analog and the DVB-T
>> tuners with an antenna connected?

>>> On Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:20 PM Jaime wrote:

>>> Just because the tuner works with the standard XP interface, doesn't mean it

inter...@live.fr

Sep 8, 2012, 8:44:35 AM9/8/12
In France, there's a free program called PouchinTV