Re: Windows Live Mail is downloading ALL my old e-mails- how do I stop

Ildhund

Feb 28, 2008, 5:26:54 PM2/28/08
Comunican wrote in message
news:014C1396-2664-45CF...@microsoft.com...
> I just got Windows Live Mail with an upgrade to MSN messenger... It looks
> good.
> But what I can't understand is why it is downloading all my old e-mails in
> my hotmail account - there are thousands of them, and I really don't need
> them on my PC... I thought the world was moving towards internet-only
> applications... So, this seems like a backward step to me.
>
> As nice as Windows Live Mail looks (and it is nicer than hotmail), I can't
> see the value in having every e-mail I ever sent or received through
> Hotmail
> sitting on my PC... Is this not an option I can switch off?
>
> Also, does anyone know where Microsoft stores all those e-mails on my PC,
> so
> I can delete them?

Windows Live Mail synchronizes with Windows Live Hotmail by default, so
whatever you see on the web is mirrored on your PC. If you want to keep an
archive on the web but not locally (however wise that may or may not be),
you can probably achieve it by doing the following:
(1) If you've set up WLMail to "Send and receive messages at startup" and
"Check for new messages every n minutes", disconnect your Internet
connection.
(2) Open WLMail and uncheck both those options at Options > General.
(3) Right-click on the Hotmail account and uncheck "Include this account
when receiving mail or synchronizing"
(4) Right-click on the Hotmail Inbox and select Properties > Synchronize.
Uncheck "When synchronizing this folder".
(5) Do the same for any other folders you might have containing messages you
don't want to download.
(6) Close down WLMail.
(7) Connect to the Internet and log in to your Hotmail account on the web.
(8) Set up an archive folder (New > Folder).
(9) Move (drag and drop) a couple of the messages you want to archive into
the new folder.
(10) Log off again and restart WLMail.
(11) Send/receive for your Hotmail account. Click once on the status message
in the bottom right-hand corner to open the progress window so you can see
which Hotmail folders are being processed.
(12) Check that your new folder appears under your Hotmail account in the
Folder pane. If it doesn't, wait a few minutes and send/receive again until
it does.
(13) Right-click on the new folder and select Properties. On the Synchronize
tab, uncheck the "When synchronizing this folder" box.
(14) Right-click on Inbox and select Properties > Synchronize. Check "When
synchronizing this folder" and select the options you want.
(15) Close down WLMail again.
(16) Log back in to Hotmail on the web and move all the messages you don't
want to download into the new folder. Log out again.
(17) Restart WLMail, do a Send/receive again and check again that it's
downloading only from the folders you want.

If this works, you can re-instate the settings you altered at (2) and (3).
If it doesn't, don't blame me. I'm not entirely sure that unchecking "When
synchronizing this folder" sticks, and I haven't tested to find out why.

If, when you try it, you find that you're suddenly downloading unwanted
messages, click "Working online" in the status bar. That should stop the
download eventually.

Whatever happens, please post back to tell us.
--
Noel

Please post messages about Windows Live Mail to the appropriate newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop&cat=en_US_0405EAE1-3A5E-559F-59E6-B48513D5B57E&lang=en&cr=US

Comunican

Feb 29, 2008, 4:03:01 AM2/29/08
Hi Noel
Many thanks for your amazing reply, it must have taken you ages to write all
that.
However, I am not sure I understand all the steps properly and so it seems a
bit risky to me.
Plus, it does seem like an awful lot to do just to stop it doing something I
would prefer to have a choice over, and which seems unnecssary (WHY do we
need emails on our PC when we already have them stored on some nice, properly
backed-up and protected Hotmail server somewhere, I just don't understand
it).
I think I'll stick with Hotmail until Windows Live Mail gets its act together!
But I really appreciate you spending your time to explain all that.
Kind regards

...winston

Feb 29, 2008, 3:18:11 AM2/29/08
Interesting Noel..thanks for the suggestion, I don't know it will work either..the reasoning makes sense..not sure if Hotmail will
cooperate..

On a lighter side..though after reading, all those steps could be a selling point for converting a hotmail account to Plus and use
pop3<vbg>

--
...winston
ms-mvp windows live mail

Ildhund

Feb 29, 2008, 7:39:11 AM2/29/08
Comunican <Comu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> (WHY do we
> need emails on our PC when we already have them stored on some nice,
> properly
> backed-up and protected Hotmail server somewhere, I just don't understand
> it).

Two points:
(a) If you'd seen all the posts in a variety of fora from people who have
lost all their messages from Hotmail, you might want to reconsider. I don't
think I'd ever regard Hotmail storage as anything other than a secondary
backup for valuable data.
(b) There have been far more posts here from people asking how to *avoid*
keeping their messages on the server once they have been downloaded. People
have different wants and needs; WLMail and Hotmail balance these off and try
to achieve a happy medium. The problem with that is that those who are
satisfied don't say anything; it's only the ones who aren't that make
themselves heard.

Perhaps someone else in a similar situation to yours will try out my
complicated procedure and tell us whether it works...
--
Noel

Ron Sommer

Feb 29, 2008, 7:41:33 AM2/29/08
Yes, Hotmail is backed up, but it is not always accessible.
If you do not have other email accounts, then why even use WLM?
There are areas where Internet connections are slow. Having to connect to
reread or compose an email is big pain.
Does Hotmail have spell checking?
--
Ronald Sommer

Ildhund

Feb 29, 2008, 8:33:40 AM2/29/08
I'd just got back from an interminable parish council finance meeting and
needed to do something to stimulate some other bits of my brain...
The problem seems to be, from my cursory tests, the "When synchronizing this
folder" checkmark. It does seem to stick if you close WLMail down before
exercising it. The progress window then shows only those folders where the
checkmark is active. Great. But it seems to synchronize the folder,
nonetheless - so what does that checkmark do apart from dictating what to
show in the progress window? It's as if the system is akin to Gmail's tags,
without the hassle of having every message in the Inbox too.

I bet Hotmail are banking on only a few users (like the OP) actually using
POP3: imagine the server load if millions of people suddenly started popping
2GB mailboxes.
--
Noel

"...winston" <winst...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

Feb 29, 2008, 3:02:07 PM2/29/08
> (WHY do we
> need emails on our PC when we already have them stored on some nice, properly
> backed-up and protected Hotmail server somewhere, I just don't understand

The world seems to be divided into two camps, those who like webmail
("keep everything on the server"), and those who prefer their local mail client to
store mail locally. It boils down to personal preference. Since email originated
with the POP model, it seems normal (to me) that email clients still favor that
approach. Webmail users who don't care about have locally stored email are
expected to use their web browser for mail access.

By the way, if you travel with a laptop, you don't always have connectivity, and
you may want to use that downtime to compose a lengthy reply to some
important email you received earlier. That's hard to do when the original
message is not accessible.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

cpemma

Feb 29, 2008, 6:58:34 PM2/29/08

Gary VanderMolen;629948 Wrote:
> > (WHY do we> > >
> > > need emails on our PC when we already have them stored on some nice,
> > properly
> > > backed-up and protected Hotmail server somewhere, I just don't
> > understand > >
>
> The world seems to be divided into two camps, those who like webmail
> ("keep everything on the server"), and those who prefer their local
> mail client to
> store mail locally. It boils down to personal preference.

With a good few in the first camp who don't know how to set up the
local account so do all their email, reading and creating, online using
their browser. ISPs seem to be encouraging it;

"Available at no additional cost, (Pipex) NetMail enables you to
securely read, reply and even compose new emails on-line. We have also
included extra facilities such as personalised folders, address book and
spell checking facilities."

Handy when you're away from the home PC, but I like to keep email
in-house.

--
cpemma

Kevin Young

Feb 29, 2008, 11:29:42 PM2/29/08
"Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
Actually there is a third camp Gary, those like me that like the flexibility
of both. With HTTP WLHotmail and IMAP server based mail I can switch
between computers and email clients (OE, WLM, WM, TBird (IMAP), Outlook) and
easily get access to all my messages, message archives and have all machines
and clients in sync. I repeatedly read posts here of people having
difficulties importing messages from one email client to another yet with
HTTP and IMAP accounts there is nothing to import\export. All I need to do
is set up the account(s) in a new client or on a different computer and they
sync all my mail and archived mail on the next send\receive. With server
based HTTP and IMAP accounts it is not a matter of a choice between having
all email on the server or all email on the local machine but rather having
them on both the server and locally at the same time.

A good example would be an IMAP account I have with 6 gigs of storage that I
pay about $25 per year for. I have that IMAP account on my tablet pc in
Outlook, on one of my home laptops in WLM and Thunderbird, on a second Linux
Laptop in Thunderbird and on a desktop in WM. Every time I log on to one of
the machines I have access to all the same email on all of those machines
and email clients. If I'm at a clients office without a pc (not common) I
can use the web based interface to access the same email and account. It
gives me the option of both a web based mail client or a local client. Most
of the time I prefer a local client but there are times when the web based
interface comes in handy and may be the only option available.

I also use more than one email provider so email archived on hotmail's
servers for example can easily be copied to identical folders on another
provider which means my email is backed up on two different provider's
servers.

The more one travels as you point out, the more one appreciates access to
offline reading so a local message store is a must. I use a tablet pc at
the office and it travels with me to meetings throughout the day so
sometimes it is docked and other times it is not. I can keep reading and
composing messages, and with Outlook: Tasks, Appointments, Contacts all
offline knowing they will be synced with the server the next time I dock or
connect. The local message store is also a must for working on planes or
when your ISP or mail provider happens to go down. I was recently on
holidays in Mexico where the wireless Internet connection did not reach to
my hotel room so I would stop by the lobby, download all my messages and
then read and respond offline later from my room.

With server based mail, even if one prefers having their email only stored
locally, you can, just by filing the messages from your Inbox into local
folders. I personally would never go back to using POP accounts as there
seems to be no real advantage to them. With free WLHotmail 6 gig HTTP
accounts and free Gmail 6 gig IMAP accounts cost is no longer a barrier to
server based email. Even if you have a POP address that you are unwilling
to give up, adding an IMAP or HTTP account gives you the ability to file
your POP mail on to the HTTP or IMAP server for flexibility in getting to
your email archive or backing up your local mail. Exporting and Importing
email becomes a thing of the past.

KSR

Jan 12, 2009, 1:56:09 PM1/12/09
I don't want Windows Live Mail downloading my messages because of
security/privacy concerns.

In fact the ONLY reason I use Windows Live Mail is because Hotmail was
crippled in July 2008 to show embedded images as gray boxes (Don't tell me it
was for security reasons - a simple option would have solved that. The
decision was made to require the use of Windows).

I also need to use public/shared computers from time to time AND I need to
see embedded images.

Microsoft provides NO solution for me. The only real option, and a painful
one, is to change my long existing hotmail e-mail address to some other
provider.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 12, 2009, 2:10:02 PM1/12/09
KSR wrote:
> I don't want Windows Live Mail downloading my messages because of
> security/privacy concerns.

Then why access the account in WLMail?

> In fact the ONLY reason I use Windows Live Mail is because Hotmail was
> crippled in July 2008 to show embedded images as gray boxes (Don't tell me
> it was for security reasons - a simple option would have solved that. The
> decision was made to require the use of Windows).

How can you access your messages in WLMail without downloading them?

> I also need to use public/shared computers from time to time AND I need to
> see embedded images.

HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!6203.entry

Top 30 Windows Live Hotmail Help Topics for Mail and Settings:
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!5828.entry

Hotmail Online Solutions Center (new & replaces all newsgroup & email format
support)
http://windowslivehelp.com/Default.aspx

Solutions for Common Problems
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/

Hotmail Community Forums <=post here instead!
http://windowslivehelp.com/community/Default.aspx

> Microsoft provides NO solution for me.

See above.

> The only real option, and a painful
> one, is to change my long existing hotmail e-mail address to some other

> provider...

How much are you paying for the Hotmail account?

OT: Did you ever get your IE7 problems resolve?
cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/faebc5b5345f4d52

Essexbiker

Jan 20, 2010, 7:33:02 AM1/20/10

I have been using Windows Live Mail since I installed Windows 7 upon its UK
release date, with no real problems. I check for new messages to all my email
accounts several times a day. But when I opened WLM today and clicked Sync as
usual, for some bizarre reason it downloaded hundreds of old (and previously
deleted) email messages to each of my pop3 accounts! I have not changed any
settings or set it to reset. In Advanced settings for each email account, I
have always had them set to "leave copies of messages on server" and "remove
from server when deleted from Deleted Items" and these settings are all still
in place. So I cannot imagine why WLM has suddenly decided to re-download all
these old emails, which I will now have to delete again?
--
HP Pavillion system model FR612AA-ABU a6632uk. AMD Phenom(tm) 8550
Triple-Core Processor. 3gb RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS graphics card. Windows

Michael Santovec

Jan 20, 2010, 5:45:51 PM1/20/10
When you use the option Leave a copy on he server in a POP3 account,
every time you check for new messages, WLM has to check every message
still on the server to see if it has been previously downloaded. It
asks the server for the Unique Id (UIDL) of the message and compares
that to a list that WLM keeps. It skips over any messages previously
downloaded.

You mention that many or all of the newly downloaded messages had been
deleted. I presume that you did that in WLM. Had you ever verified via
the mail accounts web mail interface that the messages had been deleted
on the server? Or had you deleted them user folders, but not from the
Deleted Items folder when is when WLM fill tell the server to delete
them (on the next Synch)?

One of several things happened.

The message were never successfully deleted from the server. Since WLM
thought they were, it no longer kept the UIDL and so the messages now
appear to be new.

If you had never deleted them from the Deleted Items folder in WLM, then
either the UIDLs in WLM got lost or corrupted or something on the server
side caused it to generate different UIDLs than originally so that they
now appear to be new messages.

If they had been previously deleted on server then something happened on
the server to restore those messages or an anti-spam or anti-virus
program between WLM and the mail server had stored those messages and
suddenly decided to present them to WLM.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Essexbiker" <Essex...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message