Gmail and Windows Live Mail

Gans

Oct 9, 2008, 8:04:01 PM10/9/08
Okay, I've been putting up for this error for almost a year now without
complaining. Am I the only one who uses Gmail IMAP (setup correctly according
to Gmail configuration recommendations) and gets the following error
constantly when switching between folders? This error doesn't happen every
time I switch between folders, but it does occur with an annoyingly high
frequency, and it seems almost random.

Purging messages from folder... (10 seconds of waiting, then the following
error)

inactivity.

This IMAP command could not be sent to the server before the connection was
terminated.

Configuration:
Account: Gmail
Server: imap.gmail.com
User name: x...@gmail.com
Protocol: IMAP
Port: 993
Secure(SSL): 1
Code: 800ccc0f

IMAP is 993, SSL. SMTP is 465, SSL. IMAP root folder is set to [Gmail].
Check for new messages in all folders is checked. Store special folders on
IMAP server is checked. Sent Items path is Sent Mail. Drafts path is Drafts.
Deleted Items path is Trash. Junk path is Spam.

Does anyone else who uses Gmail (IMAP) with WLM have this issue?

Geoff Clark [MSFT]

Oct 9, 2008, 11:59:01 PM10/9/08
Are you using the beta? We have fixed many bugs so Mail works well with
gmail's IMAP implementation. If you see problems in the beta, we'd like to
look more closely at them.

Thanks,
-geoff

ju.c

Oct 10, 2008, 5:42:42 AM10/10/08
Your problem sounds too easy to fix, so this solution may not work.
Anyway, you need to increase the server timeout:

1. From the WLM Menu Bar, open 'Tools-->Accounts'.

2. Select your Gmail account and click on the Properties button.

3. Under the Advanced tab, find "Server Timeouts" and increase to 2 minutes.

4. Apply, OK, Close.

ju.c

Gans

Oct 10, 2008, 7:18:00 PM10/10/08
Yes, but this error isn't new to the beta in my case. I have been
encountering this error since I began using WLM final almost a year ago.

ju.c, I will try that and report back whether it works or not. Thank you for
the suggestion!

Gans

Oct 11, 2008, 2:20:00 AM10/11/08
Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem, but thank you for the suggestions
ju.c. I have WLM open constantly in the background. This error seems to occur
after long periods of inactivity, so your suggestion does seem to make sense.
However, the error is still random. Here is a person with the exact same
problem:
http://thesource.ofallevil.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop&tid=d064b37f-75b5-4715-86c0-aaa68092cb02&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

I -never- had this problem when I had Outlook setup with Gmail IMAP. Outlook
worked flawlessly, and it's odd because WLM has very similar settings as
Outlook does and I had them both setup the same way. It seems to have
something to do with the purging of messages every so often. I don't know how
it works...

ju.c

Oct 11, 2008, 11:40:25 AM10/11/08
Too bad it didn't work.

Search for an answer at Gmail help:
https://mail.google.com/support/

If you find the answer please post it here, not just for my curiosity
but for anyone else who finds this page when looking for help.

Good luck!

ju.c

Gans

Oct 11, 2008, 4:03:00 PM10/11/08
I've tried to find the answer multiple times but have never found a solution,
even in Gmail discussion groups. All I know is that Outlook doesn't suffer
this problem, but WLM does for some reason. Since this seems to be a rare
problem I doubt the WLM team would give it very much priority, but if there's
a log or anything I can find that may help describe the problem better, I
hope that one of the developers would look into this.

Ildhund

Oct 11, 2008, 4:34:35 PM10/11/08
I've been using Gmail with IMAP for almost a year in WLMail v12 on
XP, now SP3. I've not encountered the fault you describe.
There are two settings you haven't mentioned: on the [Tools >]
Options > Advanced tab, is "use the 'Deleted items' folder for IMAP
accounts" selected? And under Maintenance on that tab, is "Purge
deleted messages when leaving IMAP folders" selected? In my case,
the first *is* selected and the second *is not* selected. So try
altering your settings (one at a time, and giving the fault time to
recur) to see if that helps.
--
Noel

"Gans" <Ga...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert Aldwinckle

Oct 11, 2008, 6:39:17 PM10/11/08
"Gans" <Ga...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC8B6387-0FE3-4D18...@microsoft.com...

> I've tried to find the answer multiple times but have never found a solution,
> even in Gmail discussion groups. All I know is that Outlook doesn't suffer
> this problem, but WLM does for some reason. Since this seems to be a rare
> problem I doubt the WLM team would give it very much priority,

> but if there's a log or anything I can find that may help describe the problem better,

Thanks for linking to my reply earlier. You can answer to the same questions
I asked and follow the same suggestions I gave to the OP. ; )

<quote source="linked discussion">
Do you have troubleshooting logging for IMAP enabled?
Look at the WindowsLiveMail.log then for more clues
about this error
</quote>

> I hope that one of the developers would look into this.

<quote source="Ibid">
That's the problem with non-reproducible sporadic symptoms,
you can't describe a test case that needs to be fixed, so you're
unlikely to be able to get a trouble report accepted without it being
"Closed: No Repro". The best thing to do IMO is get more
familiar with your symptoms so you have a better chance of seeing
a pattern in them. If you can do that you have a better chance
of at least being able to devise a workaround and perhaps
even an extreme test case which is reproducible and hence
one which you could then report and have some better hope
of being fixed eventually.
</quote>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

>> "Gans" <Ga...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52731D1A-0CE6-4BEF...@microsoft.com...
>> > Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem, but thank you for the suggestions
>> > ju.c. I have WLM open constantly in the background. This error seems to occur
>> > after long periods of inactivity, so your suggestion does seem to make sense.
>> > However, the error is still random.

Kevin Barnes [MSFT]

Oct 13, 2008, 8:40:34 PM10/13/08
[reposting since my message didn't quite make it to the newsgroup...]

Hi Gans,

I'd like to take a look at your log for this problem if I could. To get a
log, do the following:

In WLMail, go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Maintenance and check IMAP if it
is not already checked.
Close WLMail.
Delete or rename your current log file. Logs can get pretty large, making
them difficult for you to send and difficult for me to read. Your log file
will be at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live
Mail\WindowsLiveMail.log in Vista or C:\Documents and Settings\kevbarn\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\WindowsLiveMail.log in
XP.
Launch WLMail and use it until the error occurs.
Close WLMail and copy the log somewhere such as your desktop.
Email me the log at kevbarn AT microsoft DOT com.

Thanks for using WLMail and sorry for the inconvenience.
-Kevin

furrycow

Oct 27, 2008, 5:29:41 PM10/27/08

I am having exactly the same problem, if you find out what it is, or how
to solve it from the log, are you able to post the answer back on here.

Many Thanks

--
furrycow

ju.c

Oct 28, 2008, 3:03:09 AM10/28/08
Please don't delete previous posts, thanks.

...winston

Oct 28, 2008, 3:50:09 AM10/28/08
Storage is not indefinite on the msnews server....though archives are present on a variety of sites on the web..ie..Google and Live
Search could be your buddy if looking for something no longer present on the msft server.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

Dawn

Dec 27, 2008, 10:13:00 AM12/27/08
Kevin,

I'm having a similar issue. Using IMAP with Gmail and version 2009 build
14.0.8050.1202. All the folders are set to sync headers. Everything syncs
except "All Mail". I've snipped a section of the log. I'll also email the
log.

Dawn
-----------
[09:58:30.51] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] 9pnx
OK [READ-WRITE] [Gmail]/All Mail selected. (Success)

[09:58:30.51] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx] pudc
IDLE

[09:58:30.63] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:30.63] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] + idling

[09:58:30.63] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx] DONE

[09:58:30.76] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:30.76] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] pudc
OK IDLE terminated (Success)

[09:58:30.76] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx] m625
UID FETCH 1247:* (BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (References X-Ref X-Priority
X-MSMail-Priority Importance X-MSOESRec Newsgroups)] ENVELOPE RFC822.SIZE UID
FLAGS INTERNALDATE)

[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] * 432
FETCH (UID 1247 RFC822.SIZE 6189 INTERNALDATE "19-Oct-2008 10:54:10 +0000"
FLAGS (\Seen \Flagged) ENVELOPE ("Sun, 19 Oct 2008 05:54:07 -0500" "Michael
Auslander, you've got Smart Matches! (Oct 19 2008)

[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db] PARSE
ERROR: hr=2148322516
[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR:
(asynconn.cpp:637), failed with 0x80004005
[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db] ERROR:
"Could not read from socket due to insufficient memory, or internal error.
Disconnecting from server.", hr=0x80004005
[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx]
Dropping connection, LOGOUT sent result=0x00000000
[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
Connection to 'imap.gmail.com' closed.

[09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 0, ae = 5
[09:58:30.91] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
Connecting to 'imap.gmail.com' on port 993.

[09:58:30.91] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 0, asNew = 4, ae = 0
[09:58:30.95] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
Negotiating secure connection with 'Microsoft Unified Security Protocol
Provider'.
[09:58:30.95] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 4, asNew = 6, ae = 2
[09:58:30.95] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 6, asNew = 6, ae = 4
[09:58:31.05] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 6, asNew = 5, ae = 2
[09:58:31.05] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:31.05] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] * OK
Gimap ready for requests from 64.252.134.194 n26if3831506ele.0

[09:58:31.05] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx] tn64
CAPABILITY

[09:58:31.10] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:31.10] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] *
CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UNSELECT IDLE NAMESPACE QUOTA XLIST CHILDREN XYZZY

[09:58:31.10] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] tn64
OK Thats all she wrote! n26if3831506ele.0

[09:58:31.10] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx] LOGIN
command sent with tag hot1
[09:58:31.46] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:31.46] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] hot1
OK dawn.au...@gmail.com authenticated (Success)

[09:58:31.46] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx] guly
IDLE

[09:58:31.57] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:31.57] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] + idling

[09:58:31.57] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [tx] DONE

[09:58:31.69] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db]
OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
[09:58:31.69] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] guly
OK IDLE terminated (Success)

-----------

Robert Aldwinckle

Dec 27, 2008, 5:42:01 PM12/27/08

"Dawn" <Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E1286B5-7D5D-40E1...@microsoft.com...

> Kevin,
>
> I'm having a similar issue. Using IMAP with Gmail and version 2009 build
> 14.0.8050.1202. All the folders are set to sync headers. Everything syncs
> except "All Mail". I've snipped a section of the log.

> [09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db] PARSE
> ERROR: hr=2148322516

Since this isn't signed it may be equivalent to 800CCCD4 (QWord)

Then doing a web search with that finds

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942495

(Live Search for
0x800CCCD4
)

<quote>
0x800CCCD4 IXP_E_IMAP_SVR_SYNTAXERR Syntax error
</quote>

> [09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: Zone_MailChk ERROR:
> (asynconn.cpp:637), failed with 0x80004005
> [09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db] ERROR:
> "Could not read from socket due to insufficient memory, or internal error.
> Disconnecting from server.", hr=0x80004005

So this really just means I suspect: we give up and here's a
(perhaps bad) guess about why. ; )

Unless you can find an option which requests more detail for your
trace I think you may have to start doing a packet trace to get
more information about your "syntax error". It might be sufficient
to set up Fiddler2 (connecting to the appropriate port) to do this;
otherwise I would try using netcap to do a capture and Ethereal
(aka WireShark) to do the formatting. Ethereal can actually do
both but I find it easier to do it that way.

Good luck

Robert
---

Dawn

Dec 29, 2008, 3:41:01 PM12/29/08
Did a trace with Wireshark. I have the capture file as well as an Excel -
Just let me know where to send it.

The trace shows the client (me) sending a RST (Reset) as it is trying to get
the ALL MAIL folder. All of the other folders work fine with no errors. i.e.
the headers sync just fine.

Dawn

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Dawn" <Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E1286B5-7D5D-40E1...@microsoft.com...
> > Kevin,
> >
> > I'm having a similar issue. Using IMAP with Gmail and version 2009 build
> > 14.0.8050.1202. All the folders are set to sync headers. Everything syncs
> > except "All Mail". I've snipped a section of the log.

Robert Aldwinckle

Dec 29, 2008, 5:33:44 PM12/29/08

"Dawn" <Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ED908A3-C8AF-4F5E...@microsoft.com...

> Did a trace with Wireshark. I have the capture file as well as an Excel -
> Just let me know where to send it.

You would have to ask support what to do with it.
I was just suggesting that as a means of refining your
symptom description.

> The trace shows the client (me) sending a RST (Reset) as it is trying to get
> the ALL MAIL folder. All of the other folders work fine with no errors. i.e.
> the headers sync just fine.

Are you sure of the timing? RST sounds to me more like a recovery
action. So I suspect I would focus on whatever happened before that.

Good luck

Robert
---

Dawn

Dec 29, 2008, 7:33:01 PM12/29/08
Problem solved. Kevin got back to me. There was one message in Gmail that
was causing the issue every time. Deleted it and the problem was
resolved.... I did get the error syncing the trash folder until I completely
removed it.

The message subject is identified in the log.

Robert Aldwinckle

Dec 30, 2008, 3:33:58 AM12/30/08
"Dawn" <Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DAECDA6-15C0-4DD2...@microsoft.com...

> Problem solved. Kevin got back to me.

> There was one message in Gmail that was causing the issue every time.
> Deleted it and the problem was resolved....

Sad to say this sounds more like the *symptom* was resolved
and a _problem_ was left undiagnosed... ; ]

> I did get the error syncing the trash folder until I completely removed it.
>
> The message subject is identified in the log.

Yes. Sorry for snipping that earlier...

> [09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [rx] * 432
> FETCH (UID 1247 RFC822.SIZE 6189 INTERNALDATE "19-Oct-2008 10:54:10 +0000"
> FLAGS (\Seen \Flagged) ENVELOPE ("Sun, 19 Oct 2008 05:54:07 -0500" "Michael
> Auslander, you've got Smart Matches! (Oct 19 2008)
>

> [09:58:30.89] 07e8 Mail: IMAP [db] PARSE
> ERROR: hr=2148322516

Thanks for sharing the "resolution". ; )

Robert
---

Sam@discussions.microsoft.com Andrew Sam

Feb 4, 2009, 8:04:01 PM2/4/09
Hi geoff

I am having trouble with WLM imap in a different way. I use Google apps mail
and Gmail (both IMAP) in Windows live mail. Everything works fine except that
whenever a new mail hits my account, it is not automatically pushed to my WLM
client. I have to manually check for mail or as soon as I enter the inbox of
my account, the mail gets delivered. It seems like there is no persistent
connection to my server or maybe I am wrong. I checked out my configuration
in Thunderbird and it works just fine. I tried reinstalling but still no
signs of resolving this issue... Any idea y this might be happening?

Thanks

Andrew Sam

Message has been deleted

tron18

Jan 15, 2010, 9:23:56 AM1/15/10

Just wanted to report back that unchecking "use deleted item folder for IMAP" is the setting that worked.
I have had no problems after a day of experimenting, and I have been clicking back and forth between folders alot.
Disconnects seem to have gone away as well.

Tron 18 wrote:

Possible fix to problem
15-Jan-10

I was running into the same exact problem of constant purging or disconnecting when clicking different folders and the annoying popup that won't go away when you try to cancel the purging.

I tried a variation of something suggested above, and it seems to have worked for me. I unchecked the "use deleted item folder for IMAP". It is checked by default.
I also already had the purge options unchecked under maintenance. I had timeout all the way up to 5 minutes and didn't matter, but I put it on 2, since someone suggested it above. Anyway, I think the setting that helped was to uncheck use deleted items folder for IMAP. Since then, no problems. I tried Thunderbird, and I actually like the Windows Live format better when writing emails, but this problem was making it completely unusable and I was ready just to use GMAIL's web interface, even though I can't stand not being able to turn off conversations.

11 Ways to use JavaScript efficiently
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/60a4a785-5349-43ba-bc76-d98c3ffbc098/11-ways-to-use-javascript.aspx

Steve Huie

Nov 12, 2010, 10:26:53 AM11/12/10
HI Geoff,
I saw your posting about two years back regarding an issue with WLM and GMAIL IMAP. I've been having a similar issue with my WLM. I often get an error message saying:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity."

I cannot diagnose what is causing this issue. I even upgraded recently to Windows Live Mail 2011 hoping it would resolve the issue but it has not. Were you ever able to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Steve

>> On Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:59 PM Geoff Clark [MSFT] wrote:

>> Are you using the beta? We have fixed many bugs so Mail works well with
>> gmail's IMAP implementation. If you see problems in the beta, we'd like to
>> look more closely at them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -geoff

>>> On Friday, October 10, 2008 5:42 AM ju.c wrote:

>>> Your problem sounds too easy to fix, so this solution may not work.
>>> Anyway, you need to increase the server timeout:
>>>
>>> 1. From the WLM Menu Bar, open 'Tools-->Accounts'.
>>>
>>> 2. Select your Gmail account and click on the Properties button.
>>>
>>> 3. Under the Advanced tab, find "Server Timeouts" and increase to 2 minutes.
>>>
>>> 4. Apply, OK, Close.
>>>

>>> ju.c

Magnus

Nov 12, 2010, 10:58:05 AM11/12/10
Re: Gmail IMAP... don't replicate the "All Mail" folder inevitably it will
be disrupted syncing. You don't gain anything by syncing the "All Mail"
folder. Sync what is critical. Everything else will sync "on demand" when
you click the folder when your online.

For example, I only sync messages with my Inbox. I sync headers for Drafts,
Sent Mail, and Starred. No other folders (aka labels) are synced.

I've found this link helpful in tweaking Gmail's setup... YMMV

http://bit.ly/INdtj

"Steve Huie" <stev...@gmail.com> wrote in message

...winston

Nov 12, 2010, 4:16:49 PM11/12/10
The usual suspects.
Email scanning by an Antivirus or AntiMalware program(incoming and outgoing
should be disabled or uninstalled), ISP connection, router reassigning ip
address.

All the above are factors regardless of the version of WLM in use(08,09,
11).

--
...winston
msft mvp mail