Importing emails

Kathrine

Mar 19, 2005, 4:13:01 PM3/19/05
I am trying to install some dbx-files from a backup from an old computer
onto OE6.0 on my win xp. I've tried to use the import function in OE, but no
matter where I tell it to get the files from it says there is no messages
there or that they are in use. I know that they are there and they are not in
use by anything else.

I also tried to copy the files into the identities-folder. Still not showing
up in oe. I copied the file called identities into the identitiesfolder... so
that the folders with all those numbers and letters on are filled into
identites. But stillnot showing up in OE.

Any tips on what to do?

Thanks.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Mar 19, 2005, 7:29:04 PM3/19/05
"Kathrine" <Kath...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Put the DBX files in an empty Windows Folder (including Folders.dbx) and
remove the Read Only attribute. Then try importing them.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Kathrine

Mar 20, 2005, 3:15:02 PM3/20/05
Ok, thanks. I tried to rightclick both the new folderr and the files and go
to properties, but I can't seem to find a way to remove the read-only
attribute. I have xp sp 2. Is the way to change this different than the way
on older windows-versions? Or am I totally on crack?

Thanks! = )

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Mar 24, 2005, 6:31:59 AM3/24/05
Just do the files, not the folder. All WinXP SP2 folders are Read Only.
It's the files where you have to uncheck the box.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Kathrine" <Kath...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kathrine

Mar 24, 2005, 12:07:04 PM3/24/05
But the files arent marked as read only either....

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Mar 24, 2005, 12:57:48 PM3/24/05
> But the files arent marked as read only either....

Then OE's File | Import | Messages should be able to import them.
If it can't, what are their sizes?

Kathrine

Mar 24, 2005, 2:59:06 PM3/24/05
am I doing something else wrong then?
I go to OE, file - import - messages - oe6 or oe4 - then next... and then I
choose the folder that the files are inside of and click next... then I get
the error msg:

'either there is no messages in this folder, or another program is using the
folder right now.. blabla'

They all have different sizes... everything from 10kb to 11600kb and more.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Mar 24, 2005, 4:29:00 PM3/24/05

> am I doing something else wrong then?
> I go to OE, file - import - messages - oe6 or oe4 - then next... and then
> choose the folder that the files are inside of and click next... then I
> get
> the error msg:
>
> 'either there is no messages in this folder, or another program is using
> the
> folder right now.. blabla'
>
> They all have different sizes... everything from 10kb to 11600kb and more.

You use the OE6 choice.
Did you include Folders.dbx in your backup? If not, only the default
folders will import. In any case, news folders will not import.

If they are mail folders you may have to use DBXtract or DBXpress
(http://www.oehelp.com).