Unable to Reply NewsPosts After Updates

Victory

Jul 19, 2005, 7:21:52 AM7/19/05
Hello,
I recently did a clean install of Win2000 Prof SP4 on my machine. I also
installed IE6SP1 and things were working fine.
However, after I installed all the patches from the Windows Update website,
I am not able to reply to any post on the newsgroups that i have subscribed
in outlook express. I am able to make a fresh post. But if i try to reply to
an existing post, when I press the Send button, I get a blank dialog box
with three buttons and a check box. None of the buttons, nor the checkbox
has any label on it. There is not a single letter written on the entire
dialog box that pops up. Clicking on any of the three buttons have no
effect. The dialog box can be closed using the small cross button on its
upper-left corner. But if i close the dialog box, the message is not posted.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Victory

Tom Koch

Jul 19, 2005, 8:44:10 AM7/19/05
"Victory" <ashishc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I believe you have Outlook configured as your default e-mail client and not
Outlook Express. When you click Reply to a newsgroup message, that invokes the
default e-mail client, not necessarily Outlook Express. The box is the warning
thrown up by Outlook tellin you that another application, in this case Outlook
Express, is attempting to access your address book.

If Outlook is your default e-mail client as I suppose, you should also set
Outlook as the default news client and not Outlook Express. You can do that
under Control Panel | Internet Options | Programs.

--
Tom Koch, MVP for IE/Outlook Express
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F0A50604-2902-4C4F-939C-B60A9E61282C

PA Bear

Jul 19, 2005, 12:26:07 PM7/19/05

Tom,

1. The OL MVPs have previously told us that in this configuration, OE should
be chosen as the default for News on that tab but when presented with the
prompt to make OE the default, one should answer No.

You're much more familiar with this configuration than most. What's your
take on this advice?

2. The "blank dialog box with three buttons" phenomenon first reared its
ugly head in Nov-03 (when IE/OE6 SP1 was released?) http://snipurl.com/gct3
and this is not the first time we've seen it suddenly again in the last
month: http://snipurl.com/gct9. (I think there were some others in OE
General recently, too.)

While Robert Aldwinckle's original suggestion here http://snipurl.com/gcth
(change language preference) has worked for many, as has creating a new
Named Identity, what all these recent posts seem to have in common is that
they've all just updated to IE6 SP1 (=> OE 6.00.2800.1106).

I'd think that (re)visiting Windows Update and installing all Critical and
Cumulative Updates, including the ones for OE (KB887797, KB823353 or
KB330994, depending on OS) should take care of the problem.
--
~Robear

PA Bear

Jul 19, 2005, 12:22:20 PM7/19/05
From your headers: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106

Check in at Windows Update (again) and install all post-IE6 SP1 Critical
Security and Cumulative Updates offered. Reboot and all should be well.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

PA Bear

Jul 19, 2005, 12:58:44 PM7/19/05

Update: It looks like MS05-030/KB897715 (14 Jun-05), possibly running in
tandem with OL as the default Mail Client, may be causing the problem for
those running anything other than WinXP SP2. See thread beginning 19 Jul-05
with subject "Jim Pickering...thanks and help" in
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general (which
isn't being offer by Google Groups yet).
--
~Robear

Roland Bierlein

Jul 19, 2005, 1:05:06 PM7/19/05
Buenas tardes: *PA Bear* escribió:

[textless window when sending newsgroup replies]

> Update: It looks like MS05-030/KB897715 (14 Jun-05), possibly running in
> tandem with OL as the default Mail Client, may be causing the problem for
> those running anything other than WinXP SP2.

Maybe, if it isn't installed correctly or something like that. But, as
you mentioned yourself, the OP in this thread - Victory, does not have
this update installed.

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Diskussionen haben lediglich einen Wert: daß einem gute Gedanken
hinterher einfallen." (C. de Montesquieu)

PA Bear

Jul 19, 2005, 1:19:55 PM7/19/05
Correction:
<snip>

> I'd think that (re)visiting Windows Update and installing all Critical and
> Cumulative Updates, including the ones for OE (KB887797, *KB897715* or
> *KB837009*, depending on OS) should take care of the problem.

PA Bear

Jul 19, 2005, 1:31:51 PM7/19/05
Roland Bierlein wrote:
> Buenas tardes: *PA Bear* escribió:
>
> [textless window when sending newsgroup replies]
>> Update: It looks like MS05-030/KB897715 (14 Jun-05), possibly running in
>> tandem with OL as the default Mail Client, may be causing the problem for
>> those running anything other than WinXP SP2.
>
> Maybe, if it isn't installed correctly or something like that. But, as
> you mentioned yourself, the OP in this thread - Victory, does not have
> this update installed.

Agreed.

We've been discussing this problem elsewhere recently, as you know. I
wonder if the bulk of those having the problem have installed 897715 and are
using OL as default Mail Client?
--
~PA Bear

Roland Bierlein

Jul 19, 2005, 2:03:09 PM7/19/05
Buenas noches: *PA Bear* escribió:
> Roland Bierlein wrote:

>> [textless window when sending newsgroup replies]

> We've been discussing this problem elsewhere recently, as you know. I

> wonder if the bulk of those having the problem have installed 897715 and are
> using OL as default Mail Client?

I'll try to find this out, but we unfortunately do not get as much
feedback on this as desired.

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"An allem Unfug, der passiert, sind nicht etwa nur die Schuld, die ihn tun,
sondern auch die, die ihn nicht verhindern." (E. Kästner)

Frank

Jul 19, 2005, 5:25:58 PM7/19/05

"Victory" <ashishc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

KB897715 -- There is something not right about this update.
A research on Microsoft's site makes no direct reference to
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1
( KB897715) for Windows 2000.
I went to add and remove programs and uninstalled this update until
they sort this problem.
This is the first time that I have had a problem with _any update_ since
1995. Not a bad average.

PA Bear

Jul 19, 2005, 5:50:41 PM7/19/05
Frank wrote:
<snip>

> KB897715 -- There is something not right about this update.
> A research on Microsoft's site makes no direct reference to
> Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1
> ( KB897715) for Windows 2000.
> I went to add and remove programs and uninstalled this update until
> they sort this problem.
> This is the first time that I have had a problem with _any update_ since
> 1995. Not a bad average.

See:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-030: Vulnerability in Outlook Express Could
Allow Remote Code Execution (897715):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-030.mspx

<QP>
Affected Software:

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and Microsoft Windows 2000 Service
Pack 4
<snip>
</QP>

Are you posting from the problem machine, Frank (Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2900.2527)? Did Windows Update offer MS05-030/897715 to this WinXP SP2
machine?

Were you, too, suffering from the problem about which Victory posted?

Is MS Outlook the default Mail Client at IE Tools > Internet Options >
Programs and are you opening a separate instance of OE to access news?

What version of MS Outlook or Office are you running?

Frank

Jul 20, 2005, 1:34:43 AM7/20/05

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yes, a clean install on W2K SP4.
Cumulative update for Ourlook express and service pack 1 (KB897715)
This is the second critical update right after Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
Service Pack 1 (Windows2000).

Install = dialog box, no send message.
Uninstall = Works perfectly.
Reinstall = no workee
Uninstall = works perfectly

Yes I am now using an XP box. I have no problems with this box. The
problem
is in my W2K box. (The hotfix (KB897715).

Tom Koch

Jul 20, 2005, 9:31:26 AM7/20/05

> 1. The OL MVPs have previously told us that in this configuration, OE
> should be chosen as the default for News on that tab but when
> presented with the prompt to make OE the default, one should answer
> No.
> You're much more familiar with this configuration than most. What's
> your take on this advice?

It depends on which version of Outlook you're using. OL2003 does not appear on
the list of news clients so it can't be the default news client. But on earlier
versions it doesn't much matter unless you want to open OE news from inside the
Outlook GUI. The choice also depends I think on the default contact app. If
Outlook Contacts is default, then Outlook should probably be default for mail
and news as well.

Clearly though the direction is towards a complete disconnection of OE from
Outlook.

> 2. The "blank dialog box with three buttons" phenomenon first reared
> its ugly head in Nov-03 (when IE/OE6 SP1 was released?)
> http://snipurl.com/gct3 and this is not the first time we've seen it
> suddenly again in the last month: http://snipurl.com/gct9. (I think
> there were some others in OE General recently, too.)

Yes, I've seen similar threads.

> While Robert Aldwinckle's original suggestion here
> http://snipurl.com/gcth (change language preference) has worked for
> many, as has creating a new Named Identity, what all these recent
> posts seem to have in common is that they've all just updated to IE6
> SP1 (=> OE 6.00.2800.1106).

They most likely have something else in common that is causing the behavior
after the update. I suspect it has do with default client configurations.

> I'd think that (re)visiting Windows Update and installing all
> Critical and Cumulative Updates, including the ones for OE (KB887797,
> KB823353 or KB330994, depending on OS) should take care of the
> problem.

I'm interested to know if that works for those having the problem.

--
Tom Koch, MVP for IE/Outlook Express

PA Bear

Jul 20, 2005, 3:45:01 PM7/20/05
Frank wrote:
> "PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Frank wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > KB897715 -- There is something not right about this update.
> > > A research on Microsoft's site makes no direct reference to
> > > Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1
> > > ( KB897715) for Windows 2000.
> > > I went to add and remove programs and uninstalled this update until
> > > they sort this problem.
> > > This is the first time that I have had a problem with _any update_
> > > since 1995. Not a bad average.
> >
> > See:
> >
> > Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-030: Vulnerability in Outlook Express
> > Could Allow Remote Code Execution (897715):
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-030.mspx
> >
> > <QP>
> > Affected Software:
> >
> > . Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and Microsoft Windows 2000

> > Service Pack 4
> > <snip>
> > </QP>
> >
> > Are you posting from the problem machine, Frank (Microsoft Outlook
> > Express 6.00.2900.2527)? Did Windows Update offer MS05-030/897715 to
> > this WinXP
> > SP2 machine?
> >
> > Were you, too, suffering from the problem about which Victory posted?
> >
> > Is MS Outlook the default Mail Client at IE Tools > Internet Options >
> > Programs and are you opening a separate instance of OE to access news?
> >
> > What version of MS Outlook or Office are you running?
> > --
> Yes, a clean install on W2K SP4.
> Cumulative update for Ourlook express and service pack 1 (KB897715)
> This is the second critical update right after Microsoft Internet
> Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows2000).
>
> Install = dialog box, no send message.
> Uninstall = Works perfectly.
> Reinstall = no workee
> Uninstall = works perfectly
>
> Yes I am now using an XP box. I have no problems with this box. The
> problem
> is in my W2K box. (The hotfix (KB897715).

Repost:

> [Are] you, too, suffering from the problem about which Victory posted?

Libutti@discussions.microsoft.com Dan Libutti

Jul 21, 2005, 2:16:03 PM7/21/05
If I may include some information on this.

I'm a Technical Support Manager for University of Phoenix Online. OE is our
student bodies main mail and news reader. Over the past couple weeks the
number of calls related to article 897715 have increased. They all seem to be
Windows 2000. I'm not sure what service packs are installed. In most cases if
we have the user removed the hotfix OE will function properly.

I'd be more then happy to provide any addtional information on this issue if
it will help resolve this. I can be reached at Dan.L...@phoenix.edu

Thanks

Dan

PA Bear

Jul 21, 2005, 3:58:19 PM7/21/05
If they're all Win2K SP4 machines with the SP4 Rollup installed
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891861), know that
this Rollup has also caused many headaches, especially on server machines.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Roland Bierlein

Jul 22, 2005, 5:45:06 AM7/22/05
Buenos días: *Frank* escribió:

> Yes, a clean install on W2K SP4.
> Cumulative update for Ourlook express and service pack 1 (KB897715)
> This is the second critical update right after Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
> Service Pack 1 (Windows2000).
>
> Install = dialog box, no send message.
> Uninstall = Works perfectly.
> Reinstall = no workee
> Uninstall = works perfectly

Since you are mentioning critical updates specificly above, may I guess
that you did not install the optional OE update KB887797? If so, please
see my message news:dbqm5h...@insigne.cervisiola.de for detailed
explanation.

> Yes I am now using an XP box. I have no problems with this box. The
> problem
> is in my W2K box. (The hotfix (KB897715).

Would make sense, since KB897715 does not apply to XP SP2 (which I
assume you have installed?).

HTH and please post back how it went! Thanks in advance!

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed,
though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope." (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Roland Bierlein

Jul 22, 2005, 5:41:16 AM7/22/05
Buenos días: *Dan Libutti* escribió:

> I'm a Technical Support Manager for University of Phoenix Online. OE is our
> student bodies main mail and news reader. Over the past couple weeks the
> number of calls related to article 897715 have increased. They all seem to be
> Windows 2000. I'm not sure what service packs are installed. In most cases if
> we have the user removed the hotfix OE will function properly.

Meanwhile we might be on a hot track: A fellow German OE MVP came up
with the idea that the installation order of the recent OE updates
might be crucial. Since KB897715 claims to be a cumulative OE update,
which actually it is *not*, the correct order of installation SHOULD
be:

1. KB823353
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-018.mspx

2. KB887797
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887797/en-us

3. KB897715
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-030.mspx

Since number two, KB887797, is only an "optional" update on
Windowsupdate, it is quite likely to get missed by many. It contains,
however, two files concerning the address book functionality (wab32.dll
and wabimp.dll), that are not included in KB897715. So the guess is,
that the combination of the newer inetcomm.dll and msoe.dll with the
older wab-files might cause the problem at hand.

Hope this helps. Feedback of success or failure would be much
appreciated!

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Die Laster der Mehrheit nennt man Tugenden." (J. Genet)

Victory

Jul 22, 2005, 9:15:10 AM7/22/05
Hello,
I went to the link provided for KB823353. It has 6 different versions
of the patch. I tried downloading the one for OE6SP1, but on running it
I get error saying "OE6 SP1 should be installed." Another version of
the patch which is only for OE6 is meant for WinXP only, hence I did
not install it. Rest of the 4 versions are not applicable in my case.
So i am stuck now.

The About box of my OE shows the version as 6.00.2800.1106.
The About box of my IE shows the version as 6.00.2800.1106. Updates:
SP1;Q833989

Following of the "Cumulative Security Updates" w.r.t IE6 and OE6 have
been installed on my machine through the Windows Update Website:

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1
(KB897715)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB889293)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB867282)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB890923)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB883939)

I am running Win2k Professional. The MS Outlook that is installed on my
machine shows the version no. as MS Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627).

I am not able to post replies using OE. Getting the "three button blank
dialog". I am replying using google.

Feel free to ask any further clarification.

Victory.

Roland Bierlein

Jul 22, 2005, 10:04:19 AM7/22/05
Buenas tardes: *Victory* escribió:

> I went to the link provided for KB823353. It has 6 different versions
> of the patch. I tried downloading the one for OE6SP1,

Yes, that's the correct one for your system.

> but on running it
> I get error saying "OE6 SP1 should be installed."

There is a mixup of versions obviously on your machine. Your first
posting in this thread showed this headers:

> The About box of my OE shows the version as 6.00.2800.1106.

This and the headers indicate a plain OE 6 SP1.

> Following of the "Cumulative Security Updates" w.r.t IE6 and OE6 have
> been installed on my machine through the Windows Update Website:
> Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1
> (KB897715)

Now, this update shows up as installed? There is the mistake. In no
case has this update been installed correctly, as your headers then
would carry the number 6.00.2800.1506!

> I am running Win2k Professional.

OK, so please uninstall KB897715. Then the installation of KB823353
hopefully should work. Afterwards continue with KB887797 and re-install
KB897715. Good success!

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Fröhlich sein, Gutes tun - und die Spatzen pfeifen lassen." (D. Bosco)

Victory

Jul 22, 2005, 10:58:50 AM7/22/05

"Roland Bierlein" <rob...@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Buenas tardes: *Victory* escribió:
>
> > I went to the link provided for KB823353. It has 6 different versions
> > of the patch. I tried downloading the one for OE6SP1,
>
> Yes, that's the correct one for your system.
>
> > but on running it
> > I get error saying "OE6 SP1 should be installed."
>
> There is a mixup of versions obviously on your machine. Your first
> posting in this thread showed this headers:

When i initially posted this message, i had reinstalled the base version of
IE6SP1 again, over the then current installation(which was full with all the
updates) in order to get rid of the "3 button blank dialog". So actually the
configuration from which i posted the message, did not have the mentioned
problem. (I never thought someone wud be picking up details from the msg
hdr).

> > The About box of my OE shows the version as 6.00.2800.1106.
>
> This and the headers indicate a plain OE 6 SP1.

The headers of About box indicate a plain OE6 and there is no SP1 mentioned.

> > Following of the "Cumulative Security Updates" w.r.t IE6 and OE6 have
> > been installed on my machine through the Windows Update Website:
> > Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1
> > (KB897715)
>
> Now, this update shows up as installed? There is the mistake. In no
> case has this update been installed correctly, as your headers then
> would carry the number 6.00.2800.1506!

Now, before posting the previous msg (ie. today), i had reinstalled all the
updates from the Windows Update website hoping that the the blank dialog
shall not appear after reinstallation of updates.

> > I am running Win2k Professional.
>
> OK, so please uninstall KB897715. Then the installation of KB823353
> hopefully should work. Afterwards continue with KB887797 and re-install
> KB897715. Good success!

OK. i have now uninstalled KB897715. It has also allowed me to install
KB823353. The page you sent for KB887797 does not show any link using which
i can download KB887797. Maybe because i m running Win2k. Moreover, KB887797
is for WinXP. Please tell me if i m supposed to install it and if yes then
kindly also send me a link from where i can download the same. Maybe there
is any corresponding patch for Win2k. Or, should i directly go ahead with
installation of KB897715?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Currently OE shows Version No as 6.00.2800.1123. Headers say plain MS OE6.
There is no mention of SP1. (There never was).
Currently IE shows Version No as 6.0.2800.1106. Updates: SP1;Q833989;Q823353

Vic

Roland Bierlein

Jul 22, 2005, 11:52:56 AM7/22/05
Buenas tardes: *Victory* escribió:

> When i initially posted this message, i had reinstalled the base version of
> IE6SP1 again, over the then current installation(which was full with all the
> updates) in order to get rid of the "3 button blank dialog". So actually the
> configuration from which i posted the message, did not have the mentioned
> problem. (I never thought someone wud be picking up details from the msg
> hdr).

Hehe, you can't hide nothing from us! <g>

> OK. i have now uninstalled KB897715. It has also allowed me to install
> KB823353.

Great, this is a big step to the goal!

> The page you sent for KB887797 does not show any link using which
> i can download KB887797.

Oh, yes, sorry. It is thoroughly hidden on the Microsoft website. :-(
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=fda6678b-69b0-4813-9856-a1a3da675baf

> Maybe because i m running Win2k. Moreover, KB887797
> is for WinXP.

Well, that's what reading the article makes one think, right. But if
you look at the Applies To section it becomes quite clear, that it is
not for Windows XP only. Very unlucky wording there, in the KB article.

> Your help is greatly appreciated.

De nada. I am as curious as you whether we will get this one fixed. :-)

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Wir glauben, Erfahrungen zu machen,
aber die Erfahrungen machen uns." (E. Ionesco)

PA Bear

Jul 22, 2005, 2:00:00 PM7/22/05
On the problem machine (Win2K SP4):

=> OE Help > About > Files > What versions of MSOE.DLL and WAB32.DLL are
currently displayed?

=> Did you install the Win2K SP4 Update 1 Rollup
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891861)?

=> Have you configured Outlook View > News to open the newsreader from
within Outlook (instead of opening a separate instance of OE) to access News
accounts?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Victory wrote:
<major snippage>

Victory

Jul 25, 2005, 3:04:37 AM7/25/05

> On the problem machine (Win2K SP4):
>
> => OE Help > About > Files > What versions of MSOE.DLL and WAB32.DLL are
> currently displayed?

msoe.dll: 6.00.2800.1437
wab32.dll: 6.00.2800.1450
wab32res.dll: 6.00.2800.1106

> => Did you install the Win2K SP4 Update 1 Rollup
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891861)?

Yes it is currently installed.

> => Have you configured Outlook View > News to open the newsreader from
> within Outlook (instead of opening a separate instance of OE) to access
News
> accounts?

I have done no extra configuration in MSOutlook for news.
The settings should be as they are by default.
I am using MSOutlook2000 with all security updates installed from the
MSOffice website.

I am about to install KB887797, to be followed by KB897715 as said by
Ronald.

Victory.

Victory

Jul 25, 2005, 3:36:01 AM7/25/05
Hi,
So i have finally installed KB887797 (thanks for the link) and then i
followed it with the installation of KB897715.

And now everything is fine and i am able to use OE without the "three button
blank dialog".
THANKS A TON.

Now that the entire exercise is over, can u please summarize what should be
the correct process of installation, in case i try to do a clean install of
Win2k on some other machine.

Regards,
Victory

"Roland Bierlein" <rob...@gmx.de> wrote in message

Roland Bierlein

Jul 25, 2005, 6:34:58 AM7/25/05
Buenas tardes: *Victory* escribió:

> So i have finally installed KB887797 (thanks for the link) and then i
> followed it with the installation of KB897715.
>
> And now everything is fine and i am able to use OE without the "three button
> blank dialog".
> THANKS A TON.

My pleasure! And I have to thank *you* for hanging on in this thread,
so that we were able to investigate and solve this issue together,
providing the ground to help further users experiencing this problem!

> Now that the entire exercise is over, can u please summarize what should be
> the correct process of installation, in case i try to do a clean install of
> Win2k on some other machine.

Uh, I am not familiar with Windows 2000, so I can't say much to it. I
think for a clean install you should first install Servicepack 4 for
Windows 2000, then the Update Rollup PA Bear menioned, which does not
contain any of those OE updates we were looking at here. So after this
install those as I described in this thread in message
news:dbqm5h...@insigne.cervisiola.de. Then visit the Windows/Microsoft
Update website and load what is offered you there. HTH.

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Glück ist: zu begreifen, wie alles zusammenhängt." (S. Nadolny)

PA Bear

Jul 25, 2005, 2:57:48 PM7/25/05
Roland Bierlein wrote:
<snip>

> > Now that the entire exercise is over, can u please summarize what
> > should be the correct process of installation, in case i try to do a
> > clean install of Win2k on some other machine.
>
> Uh, I am not familiar with Windows 2000, so I can't say much to it. I
> think for a clean install you should first install Servicepack 4 for
> Windows 2000, then the Update Rollup PA Bear menioned, which does not
> contain any of those OE updates we were looking at here. So after this
> install those as I described in this thread in message
> news:dbqm5h...@insigne.cervisiola.de. Then visit the Windows/Microsoft
> Update website and load what is offered you there.

An amazing thread indeed...

Victory, you'll get your best advice regarding your OS (Win2K) in a
Win2K-specific newsgroup such as:

1. In the first post to this thread on 19 Jul-05, OP (Victory) stated:

<QP>

I recently did a clean install of Win2000 Prof SP4 on my machine. I also
installed IE6SP1 and things were working fine. However, after I installed

all the patches from the Windows Update website, I am not able to reply to
any post on the newsgroups that i have subscribed in outlook express...
</QP>

Assuming OP was posting from the problem machine, headers from the first
post (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106) indicate that "all the
patches from the Windows Updates website" in fact had not been installed
(i.e., no OE Cumulative Updates present).

QED #1: Was IE6 SP1 installed via Windows Update?

QED #2: Was Windows Update working properly?

QED #3: Had Rollup 1 for Win2K SP4 (891861, 28 Jun-05) been installed?

2. In the second post on 22 Jul-05, OP further clarified the first post:

<QP>

When i initially posted this message, i had reinstalled the base version of
IE6SP1 again, over the then current installation(which was full with all the

updates)...
</QP>

Before being able to re-install IE6 without problems, Win2K users must first
uninstall any Service Packs (SPs) which predate the original installation of
IE6.

QED #4: Was IE6 reinstalled per the above caveat?

IMO we will never know what caused the problem(s) until we know the answers
to the above QEDs, Roland.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Victory

Jul 26, 2005, 3:41:16 AM7/26/05
Hello,
Let me clarify.
On 19th July, i did a clean install of Win2k followed by SP4.
Then installed IE6SP1. (I dont have the original installation package of
IE6. The installation package that i have, includes IE6 and SP1 both).
Followed it by MSOffice2000.
Then I installed ALL the updates available on the Windows Update website and
MSOffice website.
Everything was successfully installed and things were running fine excpet
the "3 Button blank dialog" problem.

Then, just before posting the very first message to this group, i did a
re-install of IE6SP1 over my machine. I had no problems in re-installing the
IE6SP1 and also managed to get rid of the "3 Button blank dialog" problem.
So, when i posted the message, the machine was problem free. I never could
have guessed that my message headers would contain so much information would
be so important to this discussion.

Regards,
Victory

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Roland Bierlein

Jul 26, 2005, 4:56:39 AM7/26/05
Buenas tardes: *Victory* escribió:

> On 19th July, i did a clean install of Win2k followed by SP4.
> Then installed IE6SP1.

Ah, yes, I forgot that IE 6 is not part of SP4 for Windows 2000. Please
insert this step in my installation recommendation posted above, just
as you already did then.

(I dont have the original installation package of
> IE6. The installation package that i have, includes IE6 and SP1 both).

That is well.

> Then I installed ALL the updates available on the Windows Update website and
> MSOffice website.
> Everything was successfully installed and things were running fine excpet
> the "3 Button blank dialog" problem.

This definitely suggests that Windowsupdate already offered you the
patches for OE in the wrong order (my guess would be that KB823353 was
not offered at all).

> So, when i posted the message, the machine was problem free. I never could
> have guessed that my message headers would contain so much information would
> be so important to this discussion.

Hahaha, yes, one never knows! <bg>

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Was dem Einzelnen nicht möglich ist, das vermögen viele."
(F. W. Raiffeisen)

PA Bear

Jul 26, 2005, 1:10:24 PM7/26/05
Inline and playing Devil's Advocate:

Roland Bierlein wrote:
> Buenas tardes: *Victory* escribió:
>
> > On 19th July, i did a clean install of Win2k followed by SP4.
> > Then installed IE6SP1.

> <snip>

> (I dont have the original installation package of
> > IE6. The installation package that i have, includes IE6 and SP1 both).

<snip>

So IE6 SP1 was not installed via Windows Update. Was this "installation
package" a Microsoft CD?

> > Then I installed ALL the updates available on the Windows Update
> > website and MSOffice website.

[In an earlier reply, Victory confirms that Rollup 1 for Win2K SP4 (891861)
was installed at this time, too. While the Rollup includes two (2)
Cumulative Security Updates for IE (MS05-014 and MS05-020), it does not
include any OE patches.]

> > Everything was successfully installed and things were running fine
> > excpet the "3 Button blank dialog" problem.
>
> This definitely suggests that Windowsupdate already offered you the
> patches for OE in the wrong order (my guess would be that KB823353 was
> not offered at all).

<snip>

The evidence we've seen contradicts your supposition Roland, assuming all of
Victory's posts here were made from the machine in question. The headers
from his first post (19 Jul-05) show "Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2800.1106" [No OE patches installed] while those from his third (22
Jul-05) and fourth (25 Jul-05) posts show "Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2800.1437" [KB823353 installed].
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear

Jul 26, 2005, 6:43:12 PM7/26/05
Headers from Victory's first post show 'Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2800.1106', Roland. If he/she was posting from the problem machine, no
OE updates/patches were installed.
--
~PA Bear

Roland Bierlein wrote:
> > QED: Was Victory using the problem machine to make his/her first post in
> > this thread?
>
> Yes, I think so. See this quote here:
>
> > ---- [ news:uNsIfUbk...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, 26/07/2005 ]

> > Then, just before posting the very first message to this group, i did a
> > re-install of IE6SP1 over my machine. I had no problems in

> > re-installing the IE6SP1 and also managed to get rid of the "3 Button
> > blank dialog" problem. ----

Roland Bierlein

Jul 26, 2005, 4:52:49 PM7/26/05
Buenas noches: *PA Bear* escribió:

> Inline and playing Devil's Advocate:

You like that, do you? <g>

> Roland Bierlein wrote:

>> This definitely suggests that Windowsupdate already offered you the
>> patches for OE in the wrong order (my guess would be that KB823353 was
>> not offered at all).

> The evidence we've seen contradicts your supposition Roland, assuming all of

> Victory's posts here were made from the machine in question.

I think not, see below.

> The headers
> from his first post (19 Jul-05) show "Microsoft Outlook Express
> 6.00.2800.1106" [No OE patches installed] while those from his third (22
> Jul-05) and fourth (25 Jul-05) posts show "Microsoft Outlook Express
> 6.00.2800.1437" [KB823353 installed].

Just before of her (I assume "Victory" is female, isn't it?) third
message I had explained her how to install KB823353, which she did
successfully. This time the installation was not done from
Windowsupdate, but manually by the links I provided to download.

The fourth message (the followup on you) was sent just before the
installation of KB887797, so again, this is correct. Her fifth message
then (from the 25th, followup on me) shows KB897718 installed, so then
finally all three OE patches had been installed (manually!) in the
correct order.

Since this had not worked in the first place, when Victory was getting
the patches from the Windowsupdate website, I am pushed to assume that
they (the patches) were not offered *there* in due order.

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Müde macht uns die Arbeit, die wir liegenlassen, nicht die, die wir tun."
(M. von Ebner-Eschenbach)

PA Bear

PA Bear

Jul 26, 2005, 5:10:58 PM7/26/05
Victory, I'm replying here to your very first post in this thread (19
Jul-05). Did you use the problem machine or another one to make this post?

--

Victory wrote:
> Hello,

> I recently did a clean install of Win2000 Prof SP4 on my machine. I also
> installed IE6SP1 and things were working fine.
> However, after I installed all the patches from the Windows Update
> website, I am not able to reply to any post on the newsgroups that i have

> subscribed in outlook express. I am able to make a fresh post. But if i

> try to reply to an existing post, when I press the Send button, I get a

> blank dialog box with three buttons and a check box. None of the buttons,

Roland Bierlein

Jul 26, 2005, 6:22:55 PM7/26/05
Buenas noches: *PA Bear* escribió:

> QED: Was Victory using the problem machine to make his/her first post in
> this thread?

Yes, I think so. See this quote here:

|---- [ news:uNsIfUbk...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, 26/07/2005 ]

| Then, just before posting the very first message to this group, i did a
| re-install of IE6SP1 over my machine. I had no problems in re-installing the

| IE6SP1 and also managed to get rid of the "3 Button blank dialog" problem.
|----

Saludos
Roland
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: <http://oe-faq.de>!

"Viele erkennen zu spät, daß man auf der Leiter des Erfolges einige Stufen
überspringen kann. Aber immer nur beim Hinuntersteigen." (W. S. Maugham)

Gary Smith

Jul 27, 2005, 2:16:48 AM7/27/05
I've been trying to follow this thread, but it's pretty tangled and
confusing. Could you succinctly describe the fix for the problem? I have
it also, but never noticed until I went looking for it because I don't
usually use OE for news.

My system is Win 2K SP4, IE/OE 6 SP1 with KB897715. Windows Update
doesn't think anything else is necessary.

--
Gary L. Smith gls...@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

PA Bear

Jul 27, 2005, 12:33:32 PM7/27/05
OE Help > About > Files: What version of MSOE.DLL is listed here?

Is MS Outlook (OL) your default Mail Client? What version of OL? Do you
open a separate instance of OE to access news or open the "Outlook
Newsreader" (yes, it's OE in poor disguise) via OL: Go > News?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Gary Smith

Jul 27, 2005, 5:12:18 PM7/27/05
MSOE.DLL is 6.0.2800.1506. Outlook is not installed on this machine. I
use OE exclusively for mail and experimentally for news, opening it the
same way for both (a VB script that launches msimn,exe).

I'm going to be gone for a few days and likely won't be able to respond
again until Sunday.

PA Bear <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OE Help > About > Files: What version of MSOE.DLL is listed here?

> Is MS Outlook (OL) your default Mail Client? What version of OL? Do you
> open a separate instance of OE to access news or open the "Outlook
> Newsreader" (yes, it's OE in poor disguise) via OL: Go > News?

PA Bear

Jul 27, 2005, 7:23:11 PM7/27/05
For a reason yet to be determined by The Powers That Be, it seems Windows
Update is offering OE updates in the wrong order and is incorrectly
referring to (KB)897715/MS05-030 as a Cumulative Update.

1. Uninstall (KB)897715 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

2. Assuming MSOE.DLL is now v6.00.2800.1409 or earlier (i.e.,
v6.00.2800.1123 or v6.00.2800.1106), install (KB)823353 manually using the
file downloaded from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD6A96BC-DAF0-4EAB-89B8-BD702B3E3E5D&displaylang=en

3. Reboot and (re)install (KB)897715 manually using the file downloaded from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=89e4d8ee-4d8e-4660-a53d-28502b3d2518.

4. Reboot & test posting a Reply to a newsgroup post.

Please include all of previous message(s) in your replies, Gary.
--
~PA Bear

CC: Kristen

</paste>

> Gary Smith wrote:
> > I've been trying to follow this thread, but it's pretty tangled and
> > confusing. Could you succinctly describe the fix for the problem? I
> > have it also, but never noticed until I went looking for it because I
> > don't usually use OE for news.
> >
> > My system is Win 2K SP4, IE/OE 6 SP1 with KB897715. Windows Update
> > doesn't think anything else is necessary.

<snip>

Fred Frohberg

Jul 29, 2005, 3:44:51 AM7/29/05

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Gary Smith

Aug 1, 2005, 11:35:08 PM8/1/05
Thanks. I'll try that as soon as I have enough time to make an image
backup and restore afterward if necessarry. I learned that lesson years
ago.

At the end of your previous post you said, "Please include all of
structure of you posts makes that fairly painful. This news reader, like
several others, automatically truncates quoted text at the standard
signature separator, which is two dashes followed by a space at the
beginning of a line containing no other text. Since your signature is
configured to follow your post immediately and you post at the top, all
previous text is trimmed, requiring a bit of copy-and-paste to get it
back.

Gary Smith wrote:
> MSOE.DLL is 6.0.2800.1506. Outlook is not installed on this machine. I
> use OE exclusively for mail and experimentally for news, opening it the
> same way for both (a VB script that launches msimn,exe).
>
> I'm going to be gone for a few days and likely won't be able to respond
> again until Sunday.
>
> PA Bear <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > OE Help > About > Files: What version of MSOE.DLL is listed here?
>
> > Is MS Outlook (OL) your default Mail Client? What version of OL? Do
> > you open a separate instance of OE to access news or open the "Outlook
> > Newsreader" (yes, it's OE in poor disguise) via OL: Go > News?
</paste>
> Gary Smith wrote:
> > I've been trying to follow this thread, but it's pretty tangled and
> > confusing. Could you succinctly describe the fix for the problem? I
> > have it also, but never noticed until I went looking for it because I
> > don't usually use OE for news.
> >
> > My system is Win 2K SP4, IE/OE 6 SP1 with KB897715. Windows Update
> > doesn't think anything else is necessary.

Gary Smith

Aug 2, 2005, 11:42:50 PM8/2/05
Okay, I've done the uninstall/install/reinstall as you described. Now we'll
see what happens.

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Gary Smith

Aug 2, 2005, 11:52:43 PM8/2/05
And... it's fixed! Thanks for your help.

PA Bear

Aug 3, 2005, 6:12:28 PM8/3/05
YW & thanks for posting back.
--
~PA Bear

Mike Schick

Aug 16, 2005, 5:19:48 PM8/16/05
Thanks for the fix P A Bear! This issue has been driving me nuts. It
probably also explains why Windows Update has been incessantly telling me to
download the latest patch. I'd download it, start the install, the install
would quit, and then WU would AGAIN tell me I had an update ready for
downloading. Sheesh!.

Mike S

PA Bear

Aug 17, 2005, 12:33:33 AM8/17/05
Hot off the presses:

A dialog box with no text appears if you reply to a news message in Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555398

YW, Mike.
--