Unable to Send or Receive email

new web site with Yahoo@discussions.microsoft.com ATT new web site with Yahoo

Feb 16, 2009, 4:21:00 PM2/16/09
Since ATT switch to Yahoo base webmail. I am unable to send or receive email
using Outlook or Outlook Express. My original account was with Bellsouth. The
POP3 and SMTP has change to att.yahoo.com, and I continuously receive error
messages.
Has anyone encounter any Outlook-email problems with ATT Yahoo new web mail.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 16, 2009, 5:01:38 PM2/16/09
Contact your ISP for the correct settings:
http://support.att.net/bellsouth/asp/browse_subfolder.asp?sprt_fid=21245cdd-2118-4be0-be1a-cc10612f6d19

Otherwise, post the complete (verbatim) error messages you're getting.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

VanguardLH

Feb 16, 2009, 8:34:46 PM2/16/09
ATT new web site with wrote:

> ... unable to send or receive email ... continuously receive error
> messages.

And you want us to guess what are those error messages?

connection to the server has failed.@discussions.microsoft.com The connection to the server has failed.

Feb 16, 2009, 11:13:02 PM2/16/09

> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 17, 2009, 12:58:07 AM2/17/09
Please begin a new thread about YOUR problems instead of hijacking someone
else's thread. Thanks.

The connection to the server has failed. wrote:
<snip>

NormanM

Feb 17, 2009, 4:45:44 AM2/17/09

I don't use MS Outlook, however some have had problems with Outlook 2002, or
Outlook 2003 and the AT&T-Yahoo! servers. Some who have cleared the problem
by applying the latest Service Packs, or deleting personal security
certificates, or uninstalling Windows Live Onecare.

From my perspective, I have had no problems accessing
'pop.att.yahoo.com:995' w/SSL using any of a number of local clients, from
MS Outlook Express 6 to the Mercury/32 'Distributing POP3 Client'.

However, 'smtp.att.yahoo.com:465' w/SSL is another matter. You can only use
the same email address as sender as you used to log in. If you use any other
email address as sender than the log in email address, and you don't jump
through some Yahoo! imposed hoops, you will see a failure.

Currently, none of the SMTP message submission clients I've used with
'smtp.att.yahoo.com:465' w/SSL have failed, except the Mercury/32 'SMTP
Relay Client C', and I can't fix that within the scope of limitations
imposed by Yahoo!.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

NormanM

Mar 19, 2009, 6:05:12 PM3/19/09
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:21:00 -0800, ATT new web site with wrote:

The actual error messages would be helpful. In full, verbatim, not abridged,
or edited, or abbreviated, or paraphrased.

In general, if you have migrated your accounts (a required first step toward
using the Yahoo! servers), you should be using:

Incoming email: pop.att.yahoo.com. Set the advanced properties to use port
995, and select SSL.

Outgoing email: smtp.att.yahoo.com. Set the advanced properties to use port
465, and select SSL.

Also select, "My server requires authentication". Your user name will be
your full email address. AT&T has a number of legacy email domains, and the
system has to distinguish between <%User_ID%@ameritech.net>,
<%User_ID%@bellsouth.net>, and <%User_ID%@wans.net>.

NormanM

Mar 19, 2009, 6:16:23 PM3/19/09
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:46:01 -0700, thesteves wrote:

> I have had a similar problem. I have spend 1.5 hours on the phone with geek
> squad support, 1.5 hours with att and have done everything listed on the
> website. I can go in and reset all the info in settings and be able to
> send/receive once but not again. Geek Squad says it is an att issue. Att says
> it is a virus protection issue. Whoever made the decision at att to switch to
> att.yahoo created a very unfriendly user experience even just going through
> webmail.

Most people aren't having trouble with the Yahoo! Mail service. Some people
with some versions of MS Outlook (2002 and 2003, I believe), and some people
using Mozilla Thunderbird have encountered issues with personal security
certificates, and some using Windows Live OneCare have encountered problems.

You might find one of the following online help groups useful:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,am
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,bels
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,snet
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,swbell
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,pcb

Note that the links are by AT&T region, and the states covered are listed
near the tops of the respective states.

NormanM

Mar 19, 2009, 6:17:33 PM3/19/09
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:46:10 -0700, Don wrote:

> "ATT new web site with Yahoo" wrote:

> I am not able to receive my email.

My car won't start. My dog won't hunt. My rifle won't shoot. Could you
elaborate?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 19, 2009, 6:39:15 PM3/19/09
NormanM wrote:
<snip>

> My car won't start. My dog won't hunt. My rifle won't shoot. Could you
> elaborate?

Play the record backwards!

pushpa....@gmail.com

May 6, 2017, 10:18:36 AM5/6/17
hi,

am unable to send & receive mails from my gmail account since 2 weeks. pl help me solve this issue.

regards
pushpa gopinath