Disabling Windows 2000 SP4's internal MS Java VM so IE6 can't use it?

Ant

May 27, 2012, 9:38:34 PM5/27/12
Hello.

Does anyone know how to completely disable W2K SP4's internal Java VM
without uninstalling or replacing it with Sun/Oracle JRE? I tried
disabling the three Java VM in IE6's options, but that didn't seem to work.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"If they are offered winged ants, people will eat them." --African
| |o o| |

98 Guy

May 28, 2012, 12:24:18 AM5/28/12
Ant wrote:

> Does anyone know how to completely disable W2K SP4's internal
> Java VM without uninstalling or replacing it with Sun/Oracle JRE?

These are the instructions for getting rid of the ancient version of
Java that came with Windows 98. The proceedure for win-2k might be
similar. You can decide if you want to delete the various java folders,
files and registry keys.

And just FYI - installing a new(er) version of the JRE doesn't mean that
older versions will be disabled / removed. This was a big flaw in the
JRE update / patching situation a few years ago.

I don't know why you would want to simply disable the old version - vs
removing it completely. It's of absolutely no use at this point, and
it's probably a security vulnerability.

- Click Start, Run and enter this:
- RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall

You may (or will) see a message saying "If this component is
uninstalled, Microsoft Internet Explorer will not be able to
download files from the World Wide Web. Do you want to
uninstall the Microsoft VM?"

- Click Yes to confirm the uninstall, and restart your system
when it's complete.

- Delete the following folders if they are still present:
c:\windows\java
c:\windows\inf\java.pnf
c:\windows\system32\jview.exe
c:\windows\system32\wjview.exe

- Click Start, Run and enter regedit to start the Registry
Editor. Browse to the following keys, highlight and
delete them:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Java VM
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet_Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM