trusted sites greyed out

mskl

Nov 16, 2004, 6:38:05 AM11/16/04
I have IE6 with SP2 and XP Pro. When I go to
Tools/Internet Options/Security/Trusted Sites, the Sites... box is greyed
out. How do I get it to function so I can add trusted sites.

Thanks,
Mike

Ramesh [MVP]

Nov 16, 2004, 6:49:38 AM11/16/04
Mike,

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2

In the right-pane, set the "Flags" value to 67 (*Decimal*)

Ref my earlier post:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=uTfi0aorEHA.192%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

mskl

Nov 16, 2004, 8:28:01 AM11/16/04
Thanks for answering my question. I set "Flags" to 67 (decimal) and now when
I go to Tools/Internet Options/Security, only 3 buttons show up (Internet,
Local Intranet, Restricted Sites). The Trusted Sites button doesn't show up
at all. Is there something else I can try?

Mike

Ramesh [MVP]

Nov 16, 2004, 8:37:40 AM11/16/04
Mike,

Looks as if you've entered 65 (hexadecimal) in the Registry Editor. BTW, the value shown in my system (default configuration) is 71

Double-click the "Flags" value and click the "Decimal" radio button. Type "71" in the text field.

Description of Internet Explorer security zones registry entries:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org
Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

Vanguard

Nov 16, 2004, 5:37:02 PM11/16/04
"Ramesh [MVP]" <ram...@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message

> Mike,
>
> Looks as if you've entered 65 (hexadecimal) in the Registry Editor. BTW,
> the value shown in my > system (default configuration) is 71
>
> Double-click the "Flags" value and click the "Decimal" radio button. Type
> "71" in the text > > > field.
>
> Description of Internet Explorer security zones registry entries:

I have 43 for the Flags value for zone 2 (Trusted Sites). That is its
*hexidecimal* value. The decimal value is 67 (i.e., hex 67 = dec 43). Hex
47 works, too (see last paragraph on why mine is hex 43).

One of the pissers with these registry keys is they use stupid hex values
for the data item names instead of strings that equate to their settings
seen when reviewing the security zone. 1405? What the hell is that? Well,
gee, of course, you'll have to go find a KB article because obviously using
a 4-character hex value as the data name (or a number for a zone "name"
instead of a string) is so much quicker and intuitive than using a string
value that would be descriptive to a human ... NOT! Rant over.

In another KB article (315933) about getting the My Computer zone to appear
in the Internet Options dialog (so I could set security settings for it), I
was told to set Flags to hex 47 (dec 71).

Hex 43 (dec 67) for the Trusted Security zone (2) means you are setting the
following bits:

bit 1 = Allow changes to custom settings
bit 2 = Allow users to add Web sites to this zone
bit 7 = Show the Requires Server Verification dialog box

Whereas hex 47 (dec 71) for the My Computer zone (0) has the above bits set
and adds:

bit 3 = Require verified Web sites (https protocol)

In both cases, bit 6 (do not show) was zero (off) so that security zone
would appear. If mskl had set the value to *hex* 65 then bit 6 would have
been set to 1 (on) and the Security zone would not show in the Internet
Options -> Security dialog. When changing the REG_DWORD value of the Flags
item, the default is to enter a value as hexidecimal, so stick with it and
enter "47" (although mine has "43"). My value is different by bit 3 (https)
because I disabled the option that requires sites to have the https prefix
under the Trusted Sites zone (because I might want to trust a site that
doesn't use HTTPS or, in other words, I might want to trust a site
regardless of whether it uses HTTPS or not).

Vanguard

Nov 16, 2004, 5:48:02 PM11/16/04
By the way, Ramesh, you do realize that OE now has settings to alter where
it adds your post (top or bottom) as well as where it will insert your
signature, right? Please read http://support.microsoft.com/?id=886340.

I won't get into a discussion whether top- or bottom-posting is best.
That's become more an issue regarding preference than a problem with NNTP
instability and delay. However, your signature really should be at the END
of your post; otherwise, everything after the "-- " becomes part of YOUR
signature, including all the quoted material from the other posts. If you
implement steps 1 through 3, inclusive, your signature will be after your
bottom-posted material so it is already at the end of your post. Otherwise,
implement step 4 to move your signature to the end of your post.

Thanks. Putting your signature somewhere other than at the end can screw up
lots of newsreaders, including OE, in formatting the post and also in how
they setup your reply to that post.

mskl

Nov 16, 2004, 7:39:01 PM11/16/04
Ramesh and Vanguard:
Thanks so much for your help. I was sure I clicked the decimal button when
I typed in 67, but I guess I didn't, because when I checked again, it said 67
hexadecimal. I corrected it to 67 decimal, and everything worked perfectly.
I also tried 71 decimal and that worked perfectly too.
Thanks again, guys.

Ramesh [MVP]

Ramesh [MVP]

Vanguard

Nov 18, 2004, 12:03:25 AM11/18/04
No, your signature is not at the end of YOUR post. Instead your "signature"
starts in the middle of your post. Below was the structure of your reply
posts:

____________________
<your message>
--
<long 10-line signature>

<followed by every piece of quoted material you included>
____________________

Everything you quoted from prior posts is getting put into your signature.
Everything AFTER the "-- " is part of your *signature*. The result is that
you have some extremely long signatures! OE has had some long-standing
defects regarding its handling of signatures. At one time, it would strip
trailing spaces, so "-- " became "--". The other defect is it putting the
signature delimiter right after the new content area. Since OE, by default,
top-posts then the new content area was at the top of the post and the
signature got inserted immediately thereafter ... but that was BEFORE the
quoted material so all of the included quoted material becomes part of the
signature. After all, there is not another delimiter that marks the end of
the signature, just a delimiter that marks the start of the signature.

So I figure if Microsoft finally fixed one defect in OE then the considerate
thing to do would be to use the fix. It's a pity that Microsoft made it a
registry hack instead of a configuration option. Of course, since it it
invalid to put the signature in the middle of a post (which then includes
all quoted material), anywhere but at the bottom is the wrong place to put
it.

Now if Microsoft could only make OE smart enough to figure out that it
should strip out the signature from the quoted material - just as do other
newsreaders. I stopped using OE-Quotefix because of the registry hacks to
fix OE's defective behavior. However, OE still doesn't strip out the
superfluous signature from quoted material in a reply, so maybe I'll go back
to using OE-Quotefix.