The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)

ThisShouldBeEasy

Dec 10, 2005, 4:49:02 PM12/10/05
Yesterday I clicked on a link that shut down ie. When I restarted ie I got
the error message mentioned in the subject line. The title of the dialog is
IEXPLORER.EXE.

I think I got hit with some type of adware, spyware, virus, etc. Whatever it
was it went right past my security measures. I have tried the following with
no success:

1. I ran hijackthis, spybot, cwshredder and Ad-Aware.
Result:
- I found a few problem but nothing that looked major. They have been fixed.
- All the programs are the latest version with all the most recent data
downloaded.

2. I used the add remove program to un-install ie 6 SP1.
Result:
- ie 5 works fine.

3. I download ie 6 SP 1 from Microsoft and re-installed it.
Result: The same error occurs.

4. I rebooted in safe mode (with networking) and started ie.
Result: ie works without error.

5. I used regedit to take a look at the internet explorer related keys.
Result: I didn't see anything that is obviously wrong.
Disclaimer: I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

6. I used the control panel to change the internet options. I set all the
security to the max (to disable scripts, etc.)
Result: ie fails to start with the same error.

My theory: Some type of evil software made it onto my system and tied itself
into the startup process of ie. That software is having some type of error
on init that is causing ie to crash. Problem is, I don't know what to look
for such things.

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated! I'm about 2
minutes away from switching to a non-ie browser.

Other notes: I'm on Win 2K Pro SP4

Thanks

Mike

infr...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2005, 6:57:27 PM12/10/05

I have been experiencing the exact same problem. On clicking a link I
saw a javascript text box pop up, it was populated with a long string
(I just remember seeing "*****"s and it self submitted. IE crashed and
I have expereienced the same syptoms since.

I have also ran hijackthis, spyboy, cwshredder and Ad-Aware to find
nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 6 and still receieve the
error.

Also on Windows 2000, and the only way I can post this was I downloaded
Opera and brought it home on a USB key.

Go Digital

Dec 10, 2005, 9:22:03 PM12/10/05
I have the very same problem. Clicked on a link and the javascript box
poped up IE went down and now, nada. Application error message. tried
reloading ie6 then ie6sp1, no luck.
lucky for me I also have foxfire installed. I would like to have ie
working for the windows updates. Tried to load ie5 but....
Any help in resolving this would be very welcome.

Bruce

Dec 10, 2005, 10:57:02 PM12/10/05
I had this same problem and was able to fix it with much searching using
debugging tools. I fixed it by deleting the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]

Be sure to make a backup of any key before you delete it just in case!!!

Cheers,

Bruce

linra

Dec 10, 2005, 11:57:30 PM12/10/05
This worked for me. Thank you.

John P

Dec 11, 2005, 9:10:03 AM12/11/05
I had this same problem (posted on geekstogo) and deleting this key solved
the problem for me. Outstanding!!!
--
John Pullam
McLean Systems Inc.

ThisShouldBeEasy

Dec 11, 2005, 1:25:03 PM12/11/05
Yesterday, right after I posted this, a car hit a power poll and took out my
power. Yesterday was not a good day.

Now, thanks to Bruce, today is great! Thanks Bruce that worked perfect!

Mike

Go Digital

Dec 11, 2005, 9:15:22 PM12/11/05
Ok!! That did the trick. IE is fully operational again! Thanks for your
help Bruce. I think I'll stick with Foxfire for browsing from now on,
there seems to be alot less "holes" in it, and just use IE for OS
updates.

Thanks again.

Vince

Dec 11, 2005, 10:30:02 PM12/11/05
Thank you Bruce. That was the fix for me also.

bd420

Dec 12, 2005, 10:58:57 AM12/12/05
This just started happening out of the blue for me too, and this
deletion of the RPCKDM folder has worked for me as well! This is truly
amazing, I have spent 5 hours minimum on this, ran RegEdit, FileMon,
Adaware, Spybot, HiJack, added Administrator Full Right to folders,
etc, I was at my wits end. I run a clean machine so I was truly upset
(only have 17 processes running).

Tell me if you think you know what the cause of this was, I have a
feeling this error will be growing in numbers soon.

Oh, did I mention I also have a firewall at the front door blocking
port scans as well. You saved my bacon!

Thanks,

bd

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Dec 12, 2005, 9:32:41 PM12/12/05
"Bruce" <Br...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had this same problem and was able to fix it with much searching
> using debugging tools. I fixed it by deleting the following registry
> key:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]
>
> Be sure to make a backup of any key before you delete it just in
> case!!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce

Bruce,
Do you have any idea what program is putting that key there?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Alan Edwards

Dec 12, 2005, 11:06:22 PM12/12/05
Bruce,

Do you still have the export?
If not, have you any information as to what may have created this key?
If so, can you post the contents or email them?

...Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

freeBSD

Dec 13, 2005, 12:07:09 AM12/13/05
One of my users using win2k IE5.5 complained of this error, lucky i
found your posts on top. Deletion of that key solve the IE problem.

My user said he went to a website and clicked on a link, then a message
popped up and couldnt open IE anymore. So what is that link, which
website it is, what is the code behind that link, how a link in a
website can add a registry key is weird. my pc is not affected and that

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]

key is not found in my pc.

Thank you very much for the solution guys.

Arne

Dec 13, 2005, 3:58:02 AM12/13/05
Hi.

It is good to know that there is a solution to this problem, i have spent a
lot of time trying to fix it. But how do I find the registry key so that I
can delete it? I have tried to search both automatically and manually without
finding it. Grateful for a reply.

Cheers
Arne

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Dec 13, 2005, 5:42:20 AM12/13/05
"Arne" <Ar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi.
>
> It is good to know that there is a solution to this problem, i have
> spent a lot of time trying to fix it. But how do I find the registry
> key so that I can delete it? I have tried to search both
> automatically and manually without finding it. Grateful for a reply.
>
> Cheers
> Arne

Go to Start | Run and type
regedit
and press <Enter>.
In the left column navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]

and highlight it. Right click it and select Export, giving it a name you
can remember. Then right click it again and select Delete.

Please, if you could email a copy of the exported REG file to me maybe we
can start to figure out what's doing it: Don't use Reply To; that will
bounce:
franks...@mvps.org

dave A

Dec 31, 2005, 11:28:10 AM12/31/05
Im Having this same problem, i got it the same way by clicking on a link but
i cant find the file to deleate on my computer as well. when i try to run
the regedit dos encounters an illegal instruction and shuts down. What do i
do?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Dec 31, 2005, 11:37:03 PM12/31/05
"dave A" <climb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Per my instructions run Regedit from Window's Start | Run. I don't see how
you can get a DOS error.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

Alan Edwards

Jan 1, 2006, 12:15:17 AM1/1/06
If you get a DOS error using Regedit, then you are probably using
Regedit.com (a Trojan or malware) instead of Regedit.exe
Get rid of Regedit.com if you have it and use Regedit.exe instead.

...Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:28:10 -0600, "dave A"<climb...@hotmail.com>

Bryn

Jan 2, 2006, 10:01:03 AM1/2/06

Bryn

Jan 2, 2006, 10:07:02 AM1/2/06
I too have been having problems with IE, only I get the "failureto
initialize" error message when I try to shut down my PC instead of when I try
to start IE. I discovered after sending error reports to Microsoft that it
is IE- associated, and supposedly they are working on a solution but none
found yet. After reading your posts, I'm wondering if this could be solved
by deletion of the file you mentioned, or if anyone out there has any
suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Jan 2, 2006, 11:09:35 AM1/2/06
Export the key and then delete it. No one has yet posted a reason to keep
it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"Bryn" <Br...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Richard Holmes

Jan 2, 2006, 8:51:01 PM1/2/06
My copy of IE stopped working on Dec 12th. Seems like the first reports of
this problem date from about Dec 10th (2005).

Spybot found nothing. Reinstall didn't help. Windows Update is broken. Runs
fine in Safe Mode.

Solution is to delete the RPCKDM key as described. (Doesn't even require a
reboot.)

Here are the contents of the RPCKDM registry key on my machine:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RPCKDM]

"data2"=hex:92,99,76,8f,44,7e,07,0b,0e,7e,79,0d,7e,12,06,08,0a,09,12,0b,7a,0b,\
7a,12,7e,07,7a,0e,12,7e,08,0f,0b,07,0f,08,0e,06,7d,0c,0b,42
"data1"=hex:92,b8,b1,05,7d,7d,6d,75,78,75,7c,6c

Sure would be nice if someone could figure out where this is coming from.

Would also be nice if someone could post this solution in the Microsoft
Knowledge base and also somewhere that Google can find it. (It took me two
weeks to find this thread. Good thing my Mac Mini kept working.)

--
Richard Holmes
Lambda Software Development

Alan Edwards

Jan 2, 2006, 9:08:17 PM1/2/06
Some of us are probably hoping that one of those afflicted can tell us
what they did to get the problem, but nobody seems to be able or
willing.
There must be something else apart from the RPCKDM key involved in
this suspected malware.

...Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

Joe Varga

Mar 20, 2006, 8:47:41 PM3/20/06
Community, I too have a problem with my computer, not exactly like Mike's.

When I reactived my pc from sleep-mode my desktop was changed from the pic
to solid blue. Every time I try to play a video clip from thehun I get the
following error meassage

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another
computer, verify that you are connected to the network. If you typed a path,
verify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the server might not be
available."

I am new to the site, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JoeV.

Joel F holmes

Mar 24, 2006, 1:23:41 AM3/24/06
Hiya folks,

Well for Joe's issue I think you might have SmitFraud.C or something simular.
I got this Trojan some how, and it screwed up MediaPlayer. It can also
change ans lock your desktop settings. To remove this virus use Meathod 1
posted by Grinler at the web site below.

With luck you will be able to remove it like I did.

Now as to this RPCKDM Registry thing. I have this listed registry entry,
but I can use IE6 fine with no issues. I will export and send this Reg file
to those that asked in hopes it might help yall out. Another thing is some
seem to have issues with Windows Update not working. Check out the article
about "MICE" here.

www.grc.com

"MICE" can change your settings and disable your ability to use the Windows
Update site. After applyin the "unofficial" patch I was able to use Windows
Update normally again. Hope this might help.

JGP

glenn morris

May 29, 2006, 9:10:02 AM5/29/06
I am having the same problem as desrcibed above. This started occurring in
May of 2006. When I search the registry, I can not find the referenced key.
Is there another key that I should be removing ?

Thanks,
Glenn Morris

glenn morris

May 30, 2006, 7:36:58 PM5/30/06
..... nevermind !! I fixed the problem by doing a system restore to a few
days earlier at a point when I know the problem did not exist. That cleared
everything up !!

mark

May 31, 2006, 10:32:03 AM5/31/06
I've tried to delete RPCKDM, but it doesn't show up in the list.

Matt P

Jun 5, 2006, 11:56:50 AM6/5/06
I seem to have the same problem. The application failed to initialize
properly (0xc0000005) comes up as soon as I start my computer. Then only my
backgrund is there and I have to navigate through Task Manager. I looked
for that key suggested in the registry to delete but the nearest I have is
RpcSs. Any ideas?

andre lacouture

Sep 28, 2006, 7:09:05 PM9/28/06
Please HELP... I have also looked... and looked... Can't find also...

Thanks... Andy

ramandeep

Jan 11, 2008, 3:15:16 PM1/11/08
hi i'm deaf. I am happy to join yr id. But i need installe antivirus
download in only n95. Pl rply me

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/13758235.aspx

ramandeep

Jan 11, 2008, 3:14:54 PM1/11/08

Wingrave@discussions.microsoft.com Kevin Wingrave

May 28, 2008, 7:53:00 PM5/28/08

I get the same error message but I think my situation is a bit different.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS R desktop, with an Intel chip, recently upgraded
to XP SP3.
My sound has not worked for over a year (Soundblaster Audigy 2 XS). (dont
know if it is involved in the problem, but some posts cite it as a problem)

Internet Explorer 7 - works fine - no problems.

The problem is that recently Ive noticed that the machine has been getting
slower and slower. This sometines happens when it has not been rebooted for
many weeks.
Following reboot and on startup after user login, I got the above error
0xC0000005 on program userinit (twice). After starting Task Manager and
manually starting Explorer.exe it proceeded to commence the startup
procedures (ie start programs in the registry and in the startup folder),
each of which got the same oxC0000005 error message, (although many have
appeared to startup).

I attempted to run the adaware, spybot,hijackthis etc all getting the error
message, basically nothing worked.
Did a system restore to 3 days ago - the system restore facility wont go
back to any previous months even though I installed SP3 about 6 weeks ago,
and rebooted about 4 times.
After system restore rebooting which started up the machine without any
error messages, I was able to run adaware, spybot, hijackthis - but they only
detected what appears to be minor problems which were cleaned.
Reboot again and the same thing - userinit failed to initialise, manual
start of explorer.exe, other startup program failures.

Decided to uninstall SP3 - go to Control panel and all I get is an
0xc0000005 on rundll32 for everything.

Many other programs also fail ie Adobe acrobat, reader etc.
However IE7 does work - I am able to download MS patches fixes, but cannot
install them - you guessed it - same error message.

I feel that my last resort is to Format and reinstall everything from
scratch, but have run out of ideas to try, so before I get too drastic I'm
trying here.

If anyone has some more ideas of what is going on - I'd be very greatful to
read them.

Cheers
Kevin

Frankco

Jun 5, 2008, 1:29:07 AM6/5/08
I have the exact problem as yours, a few programme won't run and this error
message come up everytime.
userinit
rundll32.exe
conime.exe
cmd.exe
find.exe and so on
Anyone can help please
Frank

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/13758235.aspx

Frankco

Jun 11, 2008, 5:50:05 AM6/11/08
I have the same problem as your, and I have been trying weeks to get rid of
this, but tonight after the latest Microsoft Windows Malicious Software
Removal Tool Update- June 2008. It had detected and removed a Trojan form my
system then everything back to normal. Bloody good new for me, the Trojan is
Win32/Vundo.gen!H. I hope it will help you as well.

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/13758235.aspx

jayesh mhatre

Nov 17, 2008, 10:34:32 AM11/17/08
Yesterday I clicked on a link that shut down ie. When I restarted ie I got

the error message mentioned in the subject line

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/13758235.aspx

Robert Pen

Jan 3, 2009, 1:18:26 AM1/3/09
Hi, i'm having the same problem too, but i cant find the registry key O_O"

can any1 help? i cant find it.

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/13758235.aspx

Don Varnau

Jan 3, 2009, 5:38:49 PM1/3/09
Your post has been forwarded to the newsgroup
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

You will receive better help by accessing the newsgroup via the web
interface:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

or Outlook Express or another newsreader:
Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups

Additional information would be very useful, such as:
Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
Which version of Internet Explorer?
What third-party security programs are running?
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Robert Pen" <1...@lol.com> wrote in message news:...
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

marquesp...@gmail.com

May 25, 2014, 11:13:54 PM5/25/14
Bruce,
I got the same issue, but when I look for the RPCKDM, I see that I don't have it. How would you fix it in this case?