Problems using WebBrowser.ExecWB(6,2) command in IE6.0 SP2

Jordi Codina

Jan 24, 2007, 10:01:01 AM1/24/07
Hi all,
We have problems using WebBrowser.ExecWB(6,2) command in an IE6 for XP SP2
browser. Our intention is to print directly the browser contents without
viewing any print dialog as indicated by the parameters 6(print) 2(not
dialog) this was working in a IE6 SP1 for W2K but currently there's no way to
avoid showing the dialog.

Does anyone know any fix or new method to be used with Javascript.

Thanks a lot

Jordi Codina i Chacon

MEV...@noemail.noemail

Jan 24, 2007, 12:14:01 PM1/24/07
Sorry It was posted with wrong no spam alias

Thanks a lot

Jordi Codina i Chacon, - MEV...@noemail.noemail

Joel Holder

Jan 24, 2007, 2:27:02 PM1/24/07
Same issue here. Is this a registry setting? Anyone have an know where to
look?

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Jan 25, 2007, 12:32:19 AM1/25/07
Hi Jordi,

Please be advised that currently there is no way for printing
programmatically from script without bringing up a prompt because this
would be a security hole. For more information please see the following KB
article:

PRB: Printing with WebBrowser from Internet Explorer Raises Print Dialog
Box in Internet Explorer 5
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247671

Our proposed solution would be to host an activex control and get a handle
to IWebBrowser2 interface of that window where you are calling the print
command. Then you can call the execWB command on the interface where you
can pass the OLECMDEXECOPT.OLECMDEXECOPT_DONTPROMPTUSER param. For more
details on how to get the handle for the IWebBrowser2 interface please
refer to the articles below:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257717
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=172763

For more details on the IWebBrowser2::ExecWB Method please refer to the
article below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/browser/webbrows
er/reference/ifaces/iwebbrowser2/execwb.asp

The OLECMDID enumeration specifies which command to execute. Please refer
to below article for more details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/com/html/ae
1592b6-2afd-4379-a18e-d46b226bc9e2.asp

The OLECMDEXECOPT enumeration specifies command execution options where you
can specify OLECMDEXECOPT_DONTPROMPTUSER to avoid the printer prompt.
Please refer to the article below for more details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/com/html/62
45725e-51d4-40e1-8cf1-a65657e790ef.asp

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Walter Wang (waw...@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

MEV...@noemail.noemail

Jan 25, 2007, 6:16:00 AM1/25/07
Hi Walter,

Thanks for your info regarding how to solve this problem. However it still
not so clear for us because what you say is the solution that we think was
implemented.

In an HTML page, we call the following javascript code:

var WebBrowser = '<OBJECT ID="WebBrowser1" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0
CLASSID="CLSID:8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2"></OBJECT>';

document.body.insertAdjacentHTML('beforeEnd', WebBrowser);

WebBrowser1.ExecWB(6,2);

WebBrowser1.outerHTML = "";

When we execute this code in a W2K machine it works fine (No print dialog
box is opened, i.e. it prints directly). However using the same code in XP
(SP2) the print dialog appears.

Please, can you clarify if there's any way to print directly from a
javascript function in an HTML page without the print dialog appears?

Thanks again for your help.

Jordi Codina i Chacon

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Jan 26, 2007, 2:00:39 AM1/26/07
Hi Jordi,

I'm sorry I didn't describe more clearly in last reply.

What I meant is that:

On Windows XP SP2 and later, there're many security improvement in IE; and
this is one of the retrictions introduced: there's no way for client-side
script to print the page without prompting user.

The other parts of the last reply is about hosting web browser in your own
application. It seems doesn't apply for your scenario, so you could safely
ignore them.

Please let me know if there's still anything unclear.

Regards,