I'm curious

there@inthevoid.com Mick

Apr 14, 2009, 9:00:42 PM4/14/09
Is it possible to send an email to an IP address instead of a proper email
address.
Just curious.

I'm using OE 6.

TIA

Michael Santovec

Apr 14, 2009, 11:36:56 PM4/14/09
No.

The mail protocol wouldn't know what to do with just an IP address.

"Mick" <out th...@inthevoid.com> wrote in message

there@inthevoid.com Mick

Apr 15, 2009, 2:41:47 AM4/15/09
Thanks.

MG

"Michael Santovec" <michael_...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

there@inthevoid.com Mick

Apr 15, 2009, 3:48:05 AM4/15/09

> "Michael Santovec" <michael_...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> No.
>>
>> The mail protocol wouldn't know what to do with just an IP address.

Ok, this is what's happening.

1. I'm getting email from places like Nigeria asking to launder money.
2. Lottery emails, you know the ones.
I'm at the point where I need to change my email address. Then I'll change
it
to something bogus in the Outlook Express properties. However, my IP
address
remains the same.
Is it possible to hide my IP address from these people in my outlook express
6 mail.
I've heard you can in explorer, but can you in outlook express also?

Mick

Michael Santovec

Apr 15, 2009, 8:13:32 PM4/15/09
Spammers knowing your IP address won't allow them to send e-mail to you.
They need to know (or guess) your e-mail address.

Knowing your IP address does allow a hacker to launch a port attack on
your PC. But that won't result in any e-mail to you. And for a port
attack, the hackers usually just scan a range of IP addresses for a
vulnerable PC and aren't looking for a specific IP address.