Re: Disable Screen Saver on Computers not Users Through GPO's

Todd J Heron

Mar 28, 2005, 10:22:31 PM3/28/05
"scott" <sc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:882524CF-7928-404D...@microsoft.com...
>Can anyone tell me how to disable a Screen Saver on a Computer, not a User
>using GPO's. I tried using "Loopback Processing" on the GPO but it didn't
>work.

Hi Scott,

Are you sure you applied Loopback Processing correctly?

231287 Loopback Processing of Group Policy:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231287

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows Server 2003/2000/NT; CCA

scott

Mar 29, 2005, 1:51:08 PM3/29/05
Todd,

Yes I did it accordingly to the article. It is my understanding that
loopback processing just processes the computer settings after the user
settings. Screen saver is a user setting not a computer setting. The GPO
works fine on users but not on computers. If you know how to do it please let
me know. Thanks, Scott

Jerold Schulman

Mar 29, 2005, 5:33:56 PM3/29/05
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:45:04 -0800, "scott" <sc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how to disable a Screen Saver on a Computer, not a User
>using GPO's. I tried using "Loopback Processing" on the GPO but it didn't
>work.

Do you mean the default logon screensaver?

If yes, set screenSaveActive, a REG_SZ (string) data type, to 0, at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

scott

Mar 29, 2005, 5:59:03 PM3/29/05
I want to disable a screen saver on a single computer. The Domain GPO
overrides the local machine. When a user logs on to that single computer the
Domain GPO for that user account enables the screen saver. I want to disable
the screen saver on a single computer regardless of who logs on.

JJ Runnion

Mar 30, 2005, 11:38:08 AM3/30/05
sounds like the confusion comes from thinking that disabling screensaver in
the user configuration won't apply to the computer. It will unless you
allow your user to logon to the local machine (not on the network) as an
administrator.

The setting is in the GPO under User Configuration, but it will apply to all
users who logon to that computer (the OU that contains either the users or
the computer and has the GPO linked).

jj runnion
jjrN...@sinte.edu

"scott" <sc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

scott

Mar 30, 2005, 12:03:02 PM3/30/05
I want all users to have a screen saver except when they log into one certain
computer. I can't disable it on the user side or they won't have a screen
saver when they log into other machines. I only want the screen save disabled
on one machine.

JJ Runnion

Mar 30, 2005, 12:40:26 PM3/30/05
oh. then you can create a GPO linked to an OU that has only one member, the
computer you want this applied to. Then any user who logs onto the machine
will get the GPO applied.

--
jj runnion
jjrN...@sinte.edu
"scott" <sc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

scott

Mar 30, 2005, 1:31:05 PM3/30/05
Screen Saver is a user setting not computer setting. It won't apply to a
computer. If it will, Please provide me an example of it working because I
have tried just about everything.

JJ Runnion

Mar 30, 2005, 1:41:58 PM3/30/05
like i said, you seem to have not gotten how this setting works. One
question, do you have the default domain policy set to "enforce"? If so, it
won't matter what you do on the local GPO. Turn off enforce, set the screen
saver settings (yes, it's in "user config" and that's the ONLY place it
exists, except for a logon screen in scripts) in a GPO linked only to the OU
with the computer you want to have it turned off on, and make sure that
authenticated users is in the SOM.

jj runnion
jjrN...@sinte.edu
"scott" <sc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

scott

Mar 30, 2005, 2:45:03 PM3/30/05
J,

The Authenticated Users got me on that one, it didn't have any permissions.
Thanks for all your help.