Cannot run command using UNC path in startup script

khuizhang

Aug 7, 2007, 7:28:01 PM8/7/07
I created a startup script in order to patch an application without user
interaction and the scripts contains a UNC path. I can run it manually but
when I applied it via GPO, it can not run the command with unc path. I have
tried
1) give domain computer read&execute even full access to the GPO,the folder
where executable resides
2) copy executable file directly into GPO scripts folder
but no good.

can anybody give me a hand? I know I might have to use "net use" to run it
under different credential. but I think if can run the script, I should have
no problem running the executable in the same folder.

Thanks.

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Aug 8, 2007, 8:07:01 AM8/8/07
Howdie!

khuizhang schrieb:

> I created a startup script in order to patch an application without user
> interaction and the scripts contains a UNC path. I can run it manually but
> when I applied it via GPO, it can not run the command with unc path. I have
> tried
> 1) give domain computer read&execute even full access to the GPO,the folder
> where executable resides
> 2) copy executable file directly into GPO scripts folder
> but no good.

Try "Authenticated Users" with at least "Read" and "Execute" permissions
- for testing is "Full Control" okay as well. Is there an entry in the
eventlog? Gets the policy applied?

cheers,

Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Group Policy.
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.

Raptor

Aug 8, 2007, 10:03:22 AM8/8/07

"khuizhang" <khui...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

What is the startup script coded in? Is it a batch or VBS or etc.?
When you say you can run it manually do you mean the script or the patch?

dsbrown10

Aug 8, 2007, 11:47:45 AM8/8/07
On Aug 8, 3:03 pm, "Raptor" <I_AM_Rap...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "khuizhang" <khuizh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When you say you can run it manually do you mean the script or the patch?- Hide quoted text -

hello..

think i would need some more info on what the script is trying to do
and what technology it uses. hopefully the answer will be simple

dave

khuizhang

Aug 8, 2007, 6:14:02 PM8/8/07
it is vbs. I mean I can run the vbs manually.

Thanks.

khuizhang

Aug 8, 2007, 6:16:02 PM8/8/07
i am using vbs + wsh. the command with problem is like:

oShell.run "update.exe /s" which is used to install the update silently.

Florian Frommherz [MVP]

Aug 9, 2007, 1:27:00 AM8/9/07
Howdie!

khuizhang schrieb:
> There is no error event and the GPO get applied. the vbs file and exe file
> are in the same folder. both are running when startup. The problem is just
> one command line in vbs file which runs the external exe file:
>
> oShell.run "update.exe /s"

What if you provide the full path to the .exe file? Try "Everyone" "Full
Control" permission on that share and nfts - just for testing purposes.
If non of those things work - have you tried calling the exe from a .bat
or .cmd just to see whether the vbs is buggy in some way?

Raptor

Aug 9, 2007, 10:05:57 AM8/9/07

>i am using vbs + wsh. the command with problem is like:
>
> oShell.run "update.exe /s" which is used to install the update silently.
>
> "dsbrown10" wrote:

I believe you need the full path to the exe and not the relative path. The
script may be getting transfered to a temp location so to allow logon if a
DC is unavailable.
However, the file will not be getting transfered and will not be located in
that same directory. That's my theory anyway.