Tile can crash Longhorn sidebar and taskbar

Chee Pin

Dec 15, 2003, 4:26:15 AM12/15/03
Hi,

Whenever I wrote a custom tile that generate an exception, it crashes my sidebar and taskbar together. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? It makes it very tedious to debug my tile code. Is there something I miss on debugging a tile code?

Chee Pin

Delwin Lee [MSFT]

Dec 15, 2003, 10:49:34 AM12/15/03
No, you aren't missing anything. Unfortunately, this is how it works in the
PDC build. You need to connect your debugger directly to explorer.exe.

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

"Chee Pin" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Stuart Celarier

Dec 24, 2003, 3:14:01 PM12/24/03
[Quote]

Until the experience gets better for debugging, the way I debug my tile is
something like the following:

1. Create a Longhorn Tile project.

2. In the same directory, copy TileName.csproj to TestApp.csproj.

3. In TestApp.csproj change

<Property TargetType="Library"/>

<Property TargetType="Application"/>

In <ItemGroup> add

<Item Type="ApplicationDefinition" Include="MyApp.xaml"/>

4. In the same directory, create MyApp.xaml with the following contents:

<NavigationApplication xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/xaml"
StartupUri="TileForeground.xaml"/>

5. To build and run, type the following in the Longhorn SDK command prompt:

cd theProjectsDirectory
msbuild TestApp.csproj /t:build;run

This isn't a perfect test shell for a tile, but it will have a better
debugging experience for now.

Rob Relyea, PM, Avalon Team, November 4, 2003

[End Quote]

Cheers,
Stuart Celarier, Fern Creek