Windows 7 / FrontPage 2003: Out of memory on Save as ...

TomazL

Aug 24, 2009, 11:08:01 AM8/24/09
Hi!

I have installed FP2003 on Windows 7. All updates applied.

When I open a site and then some page and try to Save as ... a dialog
appears and then an error message: An unexpected error occured: Not enough
memory available to complete the operation. Close other ...

There is of course enough memory available. It must be some Windows 7 issue
since FP2003 was working just fine on Vista. I tried running in various
compatibility modes. To no avail.

Any solution to this problem?

rhuijgen

Aug 31, 2009, 4:25:01 PM8/31/09

Frontpage has been replaced by SharePiont Designer. Microsoft even made
SharePoint Designer free.

More info at:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/FX100487631033.aspx

Download at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=baa3ad86-bfc1-4bd4-9812-d9e710d44f42

SharePoint Designer looks a lot like Frontpage, it however includes more
features and works great on my Windows 7 systems.

Mark@discussions.microsoft.com Muskoka Mark

Nov 13, 2009, 6:21:01 AM11/13/09
I don't see that there are more features. In reality I see features that
were taken away. BTW the out of memory error only occurs when connected to a
web server with FP extensions on. If you edit the site locally and publish
it seems to work. However the reason I use frontpage is because no matter
where I am I can deal with site changes without having to carry a copy of all
my websites with me. Its sad that FP was discontinued as it truly was a very
useful tool however it would be nice if MS would fix the Windows 7
compatibility issue with it. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with 8 gigs of
ram on 2 terabytes of hard drive. I don't think I have any memory issues :0)
If anything I may have too much memory for a program that was designed for
32 bit. However running it in XP, or any other compatibility mode does not
help the problem. Can we get a fix please?

FP_user

Nov 14, 2009, 5:13:01 PM11/14/09

Does anyone know the current status on this? I just recently installed
Windows 7 and am running into the same error message. I use Frontpage all
the time to remotely update my sites on the server and cannot believe that I
am unable to use "save as". I just had to drive two hours just to get back
to my computer that still had XP installed so I could update my site with an
urgent message.

D.@discussions.microsoft.com Dr. D.

Nov 17, 2009, 12:08:04 PM11/17/09
I haven't done this yet but according to MS support you have to turn on XP
compatibility in windows. As of yet, I don't how to do that I am calling the
builders of my workstation and will post when I determine the fix.

Dr. D.

Nov 18, 2009, 12:07:02 AM11/18/09
Ok, I have learned that frontpage 2003 will work when you run in XP
compatibilty mode. It is a major ordeal to get this set up and to use. Right
now there is no known fixes and Microsoft is not motivated to provide a fix
since they no longer produce Frontpage and they want you to buy their new
product.

Dr. D.

Nov 18, 2009, 12:10:02 AM11/18/09
It will only work in xp compatibilty mode which is a major ordeal to prepare.
Major problem that Microsoft, I'm sure, will not repair this problem and
provide the fix. They want you to buy their software tool.

Mark@discussions.microsoft.com Muskoka Mark

Nov 20, 2009, 6:03:01 PM11/20/09
Its not a big deal to run software in compatibility mode in windows 7 however
this does not fix the issue. I still cannot do a save as command in FP2003
no matter what mode I try running the software in. And I have 8 gigs of ram
;0) So its not a RAM issue whatsoever.

Id still like to see it fixed. I can understand that they are not releasing
a new FP however we paid for the software and should be able to continue to
use it.

I installed sharepoint designer but its missing a lot of functions frontpage
had like DHTML plugin and the ability to open a FP web rather than using ftp.
Then there are the many other FP plugins that some of us purchased.

It can't be that big of a deal to fix its more a matter if they care about
the people that use and prefer FP over other software.

mark@discussions.microsoft.com muskoka mark

Nov 29, 2009, 6:50:01 AM11/29/09
Curious if anyone has managed past this issue yet. The new tools are not an
option there are too many features missing from them that were in FP. like
image rollovers and dhtml effects.

CajunBoy

Dec 2, 2009, 7:26:02 AM12/2/09
Here is my work around:

Compatibilty mode does not work. I go to the folders view and highlight the
page .... then choose ... edit ... copy ... edit ... paste. I can then
rename the new page anything I wish. If I open that page and make changes, a
simple "save" will work.

JBC

Dec 10, 2009, 10:10:01 AM12/10/09
I had the same issue, but changed the compatibility to windows xp (sp2) and
it works fine.

All you have to do is right click on the application in the start menu and
choose "troubleshoot compatibility". It will detect the best settings to
open and run teh application in.

pepper in seattle

Dec 14, 2009, 8:02:01 PM12/14/09
That's a good work around solution. I was able to copy and paste an
exhisting page and change the name of it. then ediitng became a simple save.

BUT WHY THE HELL IS THIS BROKEN?

Kai_Boston

Dec 14, 2009, 9:18:02 PM12/14/09

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium edition 64 bit and I am getting the exact
same error when trying to "save as" in "Word 2003" or "Excel 2003." I am
opening the doc/xls from a drive located offsite and accessed via secure
interent. I then try to "save as" and I am getting the error. I have plenty
of RAM. The workaround described also works for word and excel. Rightclick
the file - copy - paste. You then have a file with the same name and (copy)
behind it. Rename the file, open and then simply "save".

Muskoka Mark

Dec 29, 2009, 3:30:01 PM12/29/09
The other option would be to install the windows Virtual PC and the XP
emulator. THis will create a xp install on your vista or W7 computer that
you can then install your frontpage programs into and run quite efficently..
Bit of a hassle but it does work.

You can find this here....

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

If you appreciated the help let me know by going to www.muskokagraphics.com
and send me a quick message.

MichaelR

Feb 11, 2010, 5:52:08 AM2/11/10
Resolved:

Go to Tools / Site Settings / Advanced, and click "Delete Files" to delete
the temporary files.

Problem solved.

Bob

Apr 9, 2010, 2:24:01 PM4/9/10

Bob

Apr 9, 2010, 2:25:01 PM4/9/10

MichaelR's solution did not work for me....

KornFused

May 12, 2010, 7:19:01 PM5/12/10
MichaelR,

Did that work for you.. not for me... I have had this stupid error since i
purchased new laptop.

when i went to delete temp files as you mentioned, there was no
confirmation, no progress bar, no nothin... was there a confirmation of
completion for you?

I agree with the above posts... this sucks and there needs to be a True
solution.