Windows 7 XP Mode application unavailable

Wesley

Feb 26, 2010, 3:16:52 PM2/26/10
I have recently installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit on a new hard drive in
my computer. I tried to install Act! 2006 directly but it failed with
a 32-bit/64bit compatibility message.

I then downloaded and installed Virtual PC and XP Mode without issue.
I installed ACT! on the virtual machine, it also installed .NET
version 1.1 as a prerequisite and that application has a separate
start menu folder. The ACT! installation completed successfully, I
can see the .NET folder in Windows 7, along with another application I
installed in XP Mode earlier.

The problem is that the ACT! folder doesn't appear in Win 7, I checked
the properties of the folder and it's in the correct directory on the
virtual machine [c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu
\Programs] but it's not showing up as having any bytes. I checked the
properties on the old Hard Drive (the original XP install) and it also
has zero bytes. I tried to copy it from the old hard drive to the Win
7 desktop and get this message: Item Not Found

This is no longer located in E:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs. Verify the item's location and try again.

It's not important that I can't copy it but it is consistent with my
findings on the Virtual Machine.

I tried creating a shortcut to the application by dragging the .exe
file to the desktop and copying that into \All Users\Start Menu
\Programs\NEW Folder but that didn't work. I tried dragging the new
shortcut to the Programs folder in the above path and that doesn't
work either.

I just created a shortcut for IE 6 to the desktop in the Virtual
Machine and copied that to the Programs folder and it shows up in
Windows 7. Maybe I need a to create a batch file that launches Act!
and have that in the Start Menu? Any ideas or suggestions would be
appreciated.

I can leave the Act! running in the virtual machine and just hibernate
it when finished, but it's not how it's SUPPOSED to work

Thank you,
Wes

guy@discussions.microsoft.com AP guy

Apr 5, 2010, 11:20:01 PM4/5/10
ACT! 2006 sometimes incorrectly names both the Start Menu shortcut and folder
it's in "ACT! 2006 " (note the space after 2006). When that happens, it
makes Windows Explorer have all kinds of difficulty accessing the shortcut.
You might create a new shortcut from Act8.exe. The new shortcut WILL have a
byte length and you'll be able to copy it. This may solve the problem about
it not showing up in the Windows 7 Start Menu.

I am trying to see if we can run ACT 2006 in XP mode so we don't have to
purchase another notebook with XP on it or upgrade some 20 copies of ACT for
a while longer.
I gather from your post that ACT 2006 DID work for you other than not
showing up in the Windows 7 Start Menu?

regards,
Richard

"Wesley" wrote:

> .

Wesley

May 4, 2010, 12:53:41 PM5/4/10

Sorry about the delay, hope this finds you in a useful time frame and
thank you for responding to my message.

Yes, Act works just fine in the virtual machine, my user has been very
happy with the Windows 7 upgrade experience. I was frustrated because
I explained XP Mode the way I have used it in my test environments and
it didn't work. I think going back now, and changing the way she uses
it now may be unnecessary but I will keep your reply in mind for
future clients.

Thanks again,
Wes