Is Compatibility List for Windows 7 Updated?

Mom@discussions.microsoft.com Lagomorph Mom

Mar 6, 2010, 10:15:01 PM3/6/10
I had gone to the Windows 7 64-bit compatibility page and found the list of
applications which can currently run under this version alarmingly short. I
need a new computer like yesterday, current one is dying, and have found any
system with serious hardware has Windows 7 64-bit loaded. Are these lists
for Windows 7 32 & 64 bit updated frequently or not? With so few
applications actually compatible to Windows 7 and computer manufacturer's
coerced into loading it on their new systems, how is anyone to "enjoy" this
new release of Windows? I feel stuck between a rock and hard place. I'm now
running XP SP3 which is compatible with everything I've encountered since it
was loaded onto my laptop. What good is a new operating system when it's so
foreign, existing app's won't run on it? Need input, please. Thank you, MB

Stefan Pendl

Mar 7, 2010, 5:57:38 AM3/7/10

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, which will tell you, what programs are not compatible.
It uses a more recent compatibility list.

If you have programs that are not Win7 compatible, you have two options:

1) by Win7 Business/Professional or Ultimate, which allow for installing an XP-mode to allow running incompatible applications

2) use any of the free virtual PC solutions to run your incompatible programs in a virtual PC

Don't blame M$ for this incompatibility, but blame the program developers for still following rules of 16-bit Windows, where we have
new 32-bit Windows rules since Windows 95.
The problem was, that due to 16-bit backwards compatibility, they have been enforced starting with Vista, but should have been
enforced with Windows XP.

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows Vista SP2
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM

Lagomorph Mom

Mar 7, 2010, 10:29:01 AM3/7/10
Thank you for the advice. I will do those procedures you suggest. Since I'm
not a guru, I hope setting up a VM isn't rocket science. While reading
inside this forum group, I found out compatibility mode isn't that great due
to the limited color palette available using that feature. All I've been
doing is reading the past 3 days and looking for decent machines which run
Vista Premium Home 64-bit or manufacturer's willing to load it instead of
Windows 7 64-bit. I know for a fact, all of my existing licensed software
will run on Vista. It's been very frustrating. Thanks again. MB