Office 2007 won't install on Windows 7

David Kirk

Mar 1, 2010, 7:55:01 AM3/1/10
I have just performed a custom install of Windows 7 Pro on a computer that
has been running Windows Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 successfully for
several years. I had some trouble geting a stable installation of Win 7 but
after an expensive visit to the Geek Squad, which determined that a
particular Windows update was causing the system to crash, I now have a
stable installation. (They disabled that particular update, too.) The
problem is that I am unable to install any of my fully-licensed copies of
Office 2007 on this machine, even though I have it running happily on two
other machines using WIndows 7. When I try to install it, I get through to
the license key dialogue and enter the proper key. The installation appears
to begin in that the progress bar progresses a tiny amount but even after an
hour or more, nothing is installed. I have tried installing it in safe mode
and get a dialogue, the gist of which is that "there's a problem." I have
tried running the executable file as admin. I've checked to see whether or
not there has been a partial installation that needs to be removed buut no
Office products are showing up. I found one promising article about running
a series of command prompts to remove the "rgstrtn.lck" file but none of the
commands was recognized. I am really stuck and desperately need some help!
Many thanks!!
--
David Kirk