How to fix the bootup screen logo after running setup

SlickRCBD

Sep 11, 2009, 5:59:33 PM9/11/09
As mentioned in the MPW98.disks.general, I just replaced the HD in my
old 98 machine. However, in spite of formatting it with the /s swtich,
XCOPYing everything, and doing sys D: for good measure, I couldn't get
the comptuer to boot.

Not having a CD for this OEM install, I went to c:\windows\options
\cabs and ran setup.exe
It acted like I used an answer file and ran MUCH faster than I
expected. Once it was finished, it asked me for a product key. I had
anticipated this and extracted it before this ever began. I entered
it, and was taken to my desktop. I haven't hooked anything but the
keyboard, moue, and monitor up nor have I screwed in the drives yet,
but everything looks like it's running fine. One thing I noticed is
that it no longer says "Dell" on the bootup screen, but instead has a
standard win98 bootup screen. Is there any way to bring that back by
extracting a file from my old HD? It's a minor thing, but I thought it
was nice to have the OEM one to remind me it's NOT a retail product
key when somebody asks me if I have one.

For that matter, what format is this custom boot screen and can I
customize it myself? First priority is to get the old one that the
computer came with back up, then worry about further customizations. I
didn't expect this, but surprisingly I haven't ahd to revert to
running setup the entire time I"ve owned this system.

I don't udnerstand why the step of running setup was necessary, I was
able to make a working virtual PC virtual hard drive that booted just
fine using the exact same procedure only mapping networked drives
instead of copying real drive letters.

SlickRCBD

Sep 11, 2009, 6:09:41 PM9/11/09

I forgot to add, here's a picture of what I'm trying to bring back,
taken from said Virutal PC backup I made prior to obtaining the new
drive
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/3910124663/
Now when I boot up the actual computer, the Windows 98 screen lacks
the words in the upper corners of the screen. No "Distributed by Dell"
and no "Microsoft"

While I'm at it, is it possible to modify the file after extracting it
from the backup? Can I add "SE" to the Windows 98 and maybe put
something to ID the computer as belinging to SlickRCBD?

Don Phillipson

Sep 11, 2009, 9:17:39 PM9/11/09
"SlickRCBD" <slickr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/3910124663/
> Now when I boot up the actual computer, the Windows 98 screen lacks
> the words in the upper corners of the screen. No "Distributed by Dell"
> and no "Microsoft"
>

> While I'm at it, is it possible to modify the file after extracting it
> from the backup? Can I add "SE" to the Windows 98 and maybe put
> something to ID the computer as belinging to SlickRCBD?

The standard boot screen picture filename is LOGOS.SYS.
It is in fact a BMP picture file, but squeezed narrow (320 x 400
pixels) and unsqueezed when displayed by the boot process. You can
in fact create any picture file you like for this function, so long as it
has the same pixel dimensions, or edit (a copy of) LOGOS.SYS
in a picture editor.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

PCR

Sep 11, 2009, 10:04:02 PM9/11/09
SlickRCBD wrote:
> On Sep 11, 4:59 pm, SlickRCBD <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As mentioned in the MPW98.disks.general, I just replaced the HD in my
>> old 98 machine. However, in spite of formatting it with the /s
>> swtich, XCOPYing everything, and doing sys D: for good measure, I
>> couldn't get the comptuer to boot.

Probably, one/both of the following was the missing requirement...

1. The partition to boot must be the Active partition.
FDISK option 2 makes a partition the Active one.

2. There must be boot code in the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the HDD.
FDISK /MBR puts it there, but there are cautions about that.

>> Not having a CD for this OEM install, I went to c:\windows\options
>> \cabs and ran setup.exe
>> It acted like I used an answer file and ran MUCH faster than I
>> expected. Once it was finished, it asked me for a product key. I had
>> anticipated this and extracted it before this ever began. I entered
>> it, and was taken to my desktop. I haven't hooked anything but the
>> keyboard, moue, and monitor up nor have I screwed in the drives yet,
>> but everything looks like it's running fine.

That was smart enough to be sure of the product key. I guess it was
quick because it was doing an over-install, but I don't really know.
Mine, like yours, came pre-installed. If an over-install was done, then
the Version Conflict Manager may have activated...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186157&Product=w98
Description of the Version Conflict Manager Tool in Windows 98
.......Quote.........................
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories,
point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
2. On the Tools menu, click Version Conflict Manager.
3. Click the file that you want to restore, and then click Restore
Selected Files.
.......EOQ..............................

If the over-install replaced newer files with old ones, they will be
shown & are recoverable through the VCM. Do you see Logo.sys mentioned
in there? Is there a Logo.sys in your C:\folder? Logo.sys -- if present
in C:\ -- is the startup screen. If not present in C:\, there is one
embedded in IO.sys that is used-- normally.

That's the normal situation. However, my Compaq puts up a different
startup screen -- just a big, red COMPAQ -- & I have no Logo.sys file in
C:\. And I doubt it altered the one embedded in IO.sys. Therefore, I
believe there is a 3rd mechanism for it (which I haven't ever
discovered).

If you have no Logo.sys to restore from VCM & there is a Logo.sys in
C:\; try renaming it to Logo.sy_. Reboot. It's possible the 3rd
mechanism depends upon the file being missing.

Here's something you should also see...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184585&Product=w98
Files Not Backed Up Using the Version Conflict Manager Tool
(184585) - When you use the Version Conflict Manager tool to restore the
newer versions of files that were overwritten by Windows 98 Setup, the
files are properly restored, but the original Windows 98 files may be
lost.

>> One thing I noticed is
>> that it no longer says "Dell" on the bootup screen, but instead has a
>> standard win98 bootup screen. Is there any way to bring that back by
>> extracting a file from my old HD? It's a minor thing, but I thought
>> it was nice to have the OEM one to remind me it's NOT a retail
>> product key when somebody asks me if I have one.
>>
>> For that matter, what format is this custom boot screen and can I
>> customize it myself? First priority is to get the old one that the
>> computer came with back up, then worry about further customizations.
>> I didn't expect this, but surprisingly I haven't ahd to revert to
>> running setup the entire time I"ve owned this system.

Here is something that sounds sensible from my Keepers posts. You can
use MSPaint...

.........Quote Julien..................
"Julien" <jlam...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
To generate a new startup screen:
Create a 320x400 256 color bitmap (it is important to use the exact
format
or it will not be displayed) and save it as logo.sys in your root
directory
(usually c:).

Same thing for log off and shutdown screens but named logow.sys and
logos.sys saved in your win directory (usually c:\windows).

The default startup logo is "inside" io.sys. So to revert to it, simply
delete logo.sys from your root. To revert to the default shutdown logos,
first rename the ones on your computer to logow.old and logos.old and
create
new ones, if you want to go back delete your creations and rename the
previous ones.

If you want to disable the startup screen: add the line logo=0 under
[Options] in your msdos.sys. If you want to disable the shutdown
screens,
just make sure there is no file called logos.sys or logow.sys in your
windows directory.
..........EOQ Julien.....................

>> I don't udnerstand why the step of running setup was necessary, I was
>> able to make a working virtual PC virtual hard drive that booted just
>> fine using the exact same procedure only mapping networked drives
>> instead of copying real drive letters.

I presume it either made the partition the Active one or it did a /MBR
to the hard drive.

> I forgot to add, here's a picture of what I'm trying to bring back,
> taken from said Virutal PC backup I made prior to obtaining the new
> drive
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/10736018@N05/3910124663/
> Now when I boot up the actual computer, the Windows 98 screen lacks
> the words in the upper corners of the screen. No "Distributed by Dell"
> and no "Microsoft"

That's so similar to Logo.sys that I think you will find one in VCM (a
Dell version) that has been replaced with the original. Compaq seems to
have done something more complex.

> While I'm at it, is it possible to modify the file after extracting it
> from the backup? Can I add "SE" to the Windows 98 and maybe put
> something to ID the computer as belinging to SlickRCBD?

You may do whatever you wish to it with MSPaint-- but keep the size &
color resolution precisely the same!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

Franc Zabkar

Sep 12, 2009, 2:48:48 AM9/12/09
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:09:41 -0700 (PDT), SlickRCBD
<slickr...@gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>On Sep 11, 4:59�pm, SlickRCBD <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As mentioned in the MPW98.disks.general, I just replaced the HD in my
>> old 98 machine. However, in spite of formatting it with the /s swtich,
>> XCOPYing everything, and doing sys D: for good measure, I couldn't get
>> the comptuer to boot.

Some (all?) Dell machines have a hidden partition, either in the user
area on the HD, or in the HPA.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_Protected_Area

I'm not exactly sure what is, or has, happened in your case, but you
may like to read the following article.

Understanding the Dell MediaDirect Partition:
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm

It explains why cloning will fail.

You can unhide the HPA using utilities such as HDAT2 or MHDD:
http://www.hdat2.com/
http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

This FAQ has info on Dell's HPA:
http://www.hdat2.com/hdat2_faq.html

If the hidden partition is in the user accessible area, then a tool
such as MBRtool may show it:

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm

Use MBRtool to look at the partition table at the bottom of LBA-0. How
many partitions do you see?

MBRtool will also allow you to save track 0 to a file. Look at LBA-3.
Dell sometimes uses this sector to access the HPA.

Look for files that are the same size as logos.sys and logow.sys, ie
about 129,000 bytes.

I notice that the first three bytes in these files are either BM6 or
BM8 which suggests that they are BMP files.

Go to Start -> Find -> Files/Folder and search for files Containing
text BM6 or BM8. If you find a likely one, make a copy and rename it
to logo.BMP and view it with Paintbrush or your preferred image
viewer.

>While I'm at it, is it possible to modify the file after extracting it
>from the backup? Can I add "SE" to the Windows 98 and maybe put
>something to ID the computer as belinging to SlickRCBD?

I've hacked explorer.exe so that my Start button says "Franc".

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sep 12, 2009, 2:54:52 AM9/12/09
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:04:02 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put

finger to keyboard and composed:

>... my Compaq puts up a different

>startup screen -- just a big, red COMPAQ -- & I have no Logo.sys file in
>C:\. And I doubt it altered the one embedded in IO.sys. Therefore, I
>believe there is a 3rd mechanism for it (which I haven't ever
>discovered).

Look for a HPA or hidden partition. See my first post to this thread.

Is it possible that the Compaq logo is patched into the BIOS? Modern
motherboards (eg Asus, Gigabyte) are supplied with utilities that
allow users to add their own logos and backgrounds to the BIOS.

MEB

Sep 12, 2009, 3:20:00 AM9/12/09

Good job Franc, glad to see you're back...

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm

Ben Myers

Sep 12, 2009, 4:09:15 AM9/12/09
"SlickRCBD" <slickr...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:782260ce-a3e9-4c56...@l9g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...

> As mentioned in the MPW98.disks.general, I just replaced the HD in my
> old 98 machine. However, in spite of formatting it with the /s swtich,
> XCOPYing everything, and doing sys D: for good measure, I couldn't get
> the comptuer to boot.
> Not having a CD for this OEM install, I went to c:\windows\options
> \cabs and ran setup.exe
> It acted like I used an answer file and ran MUCH faster than I
> expected. Once it was finished, it asked me for a product key. I had
> anticipated this and extracted it before this ever began. I entered
> it, and was taken to my desktop. I haven't hooked anything but the
> keyboard, moue, and monitor up nor have I screwed in the drives yet,
> but everything looks like it's running fine. One thing I noticed is
> that it no longer says "Dell" on the bootup screen, but instead has a
> standard win98 bootup screen. Is there any way to bring that back by
> extracting a file from my old HD? It's a minor thing, but I thought it
> was nice to have the OEM one to remind me it's NOT a retail product
> key when somebody asks me if I have one.

See if there is a "C:\Logo.sys" file. If so, rename it or move it to a sub-
folder. The "C:\io.sys" file in Windows 98 typically contains a default
logo and it may be the one you want.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/plinth/logos/logos.html

> I don't udnerstand why the step of running setup was necessary, I was
> able to make a working virtual PC virtual hard drive that booted just
> fine using the exact same procedure only mapping networked drives
> instead of copying real drive letters.

As mentioned by another poster, Windows 98 must be installed on
a primary DOS partition, marked as "Active".

Ben

Spajky

Sep 12, 2009, 9:43:11 AM9/12/09
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 04:09:15 -0400, "Ben Myers"
<benj...@mindREMOVEspring.com> wrote:

>As mentioned by another poster, Windows 98 must be installed on
>a primary DOS partition, marked as "Active".
>
>Ben

... not quite exactly, but usually is so said (not to have problems

Well, actually Win9x can be mounted/installed on ANY partition/disk
even slave & secondary & non bootable Fat or Fat32 you want & it can
be booted from any bootable media from Bios if that media contains
Io.sys & Msdos.sys with a propper path set to win folder.

I made myself years ago a bootable CD-Rom running minimal win95B
installation for rescue purposes entirely running from RAM (no disk
needed :-) http://users.volja.net/image/Files/ResQsys.htm (see bottom
page) ... for older computers (having between 64 to 512Mb ram, single
core cpu ... sometimes it can be useful for cloning win9x or WinXP on
Fat32 installations on Ide HDs up to 132Mb & files up to 2GB ...
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

PCR

Sep 12, 2009, 10:24:27 PM9/12/09
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:04:02 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put
> finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>... my Compaq puts up a different
>>startup screen -- just a big, red COMPAQ -- & I have no Logo.sys file
>>in C:\. And I doubt it altered the one embedded in IO.sys. Therefore,
>>I believe there is a 3rd mechanism for it (which I haven't ever
>>discovered).
>
> Look for a HPA or hidden partition. See my first post to this thread.

I'll look. There was a second partition that held an updatable,
full-system backup, but it wasn't hidden. And there is no hidden
partition for sure.

> Is it possible that the Compaq logo is patched into the BIOS? Modern
> motherboards (eg Asus, Gigabyte) are supplied with utilities that
> allow users to add their own logos and backgrounds to the BIOS.

Well, it is a Compaq BIOS, & I've even flashed it with a Compaq
download. That never occurred to me, but I guess it is possible. The
flash is... System ROM Family: 686S4; System ROM Date: 7/25/00. I have
no such utility for my BIOS.

Franc Zabkar

Sep 12, 2009, 11:52:26 PM9/12/09
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:24:27 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put

finger to keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:

>> Is it possible that the Compaq logo is patched into the BIOS? Modern
>> motherboards (eg Asus, Gigabyte) are supplied with utilities that
>> allow users to add their own logos and backgrounds to the BIOS.
>
>Well, it is a Compaq BIOS, & I've even flashed it with a Compaq
>download. That never occurred to me, but I guess it is possible. The
>flash is... System ROM Family: 686S4; System ROM Date: 7/25/00. I have
>no such utility for my BIOS.

These are the modules in my BIOS:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/MODULES.TXT

I believe that the "Small OEM Logo" is the "Green" logo.

This is a dump of my AMI BIOS:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/L7S7A2.RPT

These are the binary modules that were extracted from the compressed
image:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/

Gigabyte "Face-Wizard":
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_facewizard.htm

"Face-Wizard� allows user to select BIOS on board or file in hard
drive/floppy disk/zip/MO or other storage devices and combine the
compatible picture you prefer into BIOS. And not only this,
Face-Wizard� also helps user to update BIOS in Windows mode."

Asus MyLogo Series:
http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/mb/mylogo.htm

"With the MyLogo Series, you can download your favorite image from
Windows into the BIOS Flash ROM, providing a fast, convenient way to
'decorate' your system."

PCR

Sep 13, 2009, 10:07:55 PM9/13/09

Thanks for all of this, Zabkar. I've got to spend time elsewhere for a
while & hope to click some of this soon. I apologize for often spelling
you with a "c". Each time I go to verify whether it's a "c" or a "k"-- I
come up with a different result! I see today "k" seems right. Lucky I
don't use first names! Only Henri Leboeuf was worse than you! :-).

thanatoid

Sep 14, 2009, 4:25:40 PM9/14/09
Franc Zabkar <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

>>> Is it possible that the Compaq logo is patched into the
>>> BIOS? Modern motherboards (eg Asus, Gigabyte) are
>>> supplied with utilities that allow users to add their own
>>> logos and backgrounds to the BIOS.
>>
>>Well, it is a Compaq BIOS, & I've even flashed it with a
>>Compaq download. That never occurred to me, but I guess it
>>is possible. The flash is... System ROM Family: 686S4;
>>System ROM Date: 7/25/00. I have no such utility for my
>>BIOS.
>
> These are the modules in my BIOS:
> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/MODULES.TXT
>
> I believe that the "Small OEM Logo" is the "Green" logo.
>
> This is a dump of my AMI BIOS:
> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/L7S7A2.RPT

<SNIP>

I believe these and your other links relate to the image which
appears on the screen after you /power up/, not when Windows is
starting. For instance, I happen to also have a Compaq (sigh)
and there is a Compaq utility to change the built-in red Compaq
logo with "your company logo" or whatever, but it just has not
been worth the bother.

Without going back and reading the whole thread, I believe PCR
wants the /Windows/ start up logo changed, and I have NO idea
where he can find the one with Dell and MS logos in it (let
alone WHY HE WOULD WANT IT ;-) but there are several programs
which let you play around with those Windows logos (there are
actually a total of 3 in all as we all know) and change them
from time to time or per schedule etc., but since processors
have gotten very fast, no one seems to care much anymore. I /DO/
have my own startup logo but I do not even recall seeing the
Wait and Shut Down logos in a LONG time, and I only have a 2GHz
processor!

--
Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

PCR

Sep 14, 2009, 7:38:45 PM9/14/09
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:24:27 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put
> finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>
>>> Is it possible that the Compaq logo is patched into the BIOS? Modern
>>> motherboards (eg Asus, Gigabyte) are supplied with utilities that
>>> allow users to add their own logos and backgrounds to the BIOS.
>>
>>Well, it is a Compaq BIOS, & I've even flashed it with a Compaq
>>download. That never occurred to me, but I guess it is possible. The
>>flash is... System ROM Family: 686S4; System ROM Date: 7/25/00. I have
>>no such utility for my BIOS.
>
> These are the modules in my BIOS:
> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/MODULES.TXT
>
> I believe that the "Small OEM Logo" is the "Green" logo.

That sounds like a possibility. And that is your startup screen? I have
no way to look into my own BIOS.

> This is a dump of my AMI BIOS:
> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/L7S7A2.RPT
>
> These are the binary modules that were extracted from the compressed
> image:
> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/
>
> Gigabyte "Face-Wizard":

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_facewizard.htm

> "Face-Wizard� allows user to select BIOS on board or file in hard
> drive/floppy disk/zip/MO or other storage devices and combine the
> compatible picture you prefer into BIOS. And not only this,
> Face-Wizard� also helps user to update BIOS in Windows mode."

That sounds scary to me. I wouldn't want to make it impossible to boot.
Of course, I do have my BIOS on a floppy ready to flash again if
necessary. But really -- if anything -- I'd just want that COMPAQ screen
to disappear, not to replace it. I'd want to see whether anything shows
up under it. Putting Logo=0 into MSDOS.sys had no effect. There never
was an MS bootup screen that I can recall-- & it doesn't prevent the
big, red COMPAQ!

I should put a Logo.sys into C:/ (I have one elsewhere) & set Logo=1 to
see what happens. But I can swear the one in IO.sys never showed back
when I had no Logo=0.

Well, looking inside IO.sys, I do see...
0003 5F20 00 00 43 4F 4D 50 41 51 00 00 54 4F 53 48 49 42
..COMPAQ..TOSHIB

...So, it's possible that was altered. OK, I've set it to show Logo.sys
& will report back next boot.

> Asus MyLogo Series:
> http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/mb/mylogo.htm
>
> "With the MyLogo Series, you can download your favorite image from
> Windows into the BIOS Flash ROM, providing a fast, convenient way to
> 'decorate' your system."

That actually looks nice, but I'd fear it weren't compatible with this
Compaq.

PCR

Sep 14, 2009, 8:03:10 PM9/14/09

Do you have a Log.sys in C:\? Have you ever seen an MS logo screen at
boot on that Compaq? (I can't recall I ever have. I did put Logo=0 into
MSDOS.sys-- but that was a vain attempt to stop that big, red COMPAQ.)
The only Logo.sys I've got is in the Options\Cabs folder. (And I don't
recall deleting one!) It's a flying Windows logo that says Microsoft
Windows 98. But on the bottom it says: "Getting ready to run Windows for
the first time". That can't be normal. I wonder why I didn't get a
utility like yours for my Compaq 7470. What is it called? But I'd be
loath to download one, if it isn't on here already somewhere.

> Without going back and reading the whole thread, I believe PCR
> wants the /Windows/ start up logo changed, and I have NO idea
> where he can find the one with Dell and MS logos in it (let
> alone WHY HE WOULD WANT IT ;-) but there are several programs
> which let you play around with those Windows logos (there are
> actually a total of 3 in all as we all know) and change them
> from time to time or per schedule etc., but since processors
> have gotten very fast, no one seems to care much anymore. I /DO/
> have my own startup logo but I do not even recall seeing the
> Wait and Shut Down logos in a LONG time, and I only have a 2GHz
> processor!

I'm not the first one in this thread who wanted to change it. I started
out just wanting it to go away. But maybe I'll change it. But I don't
have a Dell.

Franc Zabkar

Sep 15, 2009, 2:26:26 AM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:38:45 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put

finger to keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:24:27 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put
>> finger to keyboard and composed:
>>
>>>Franc Zabkar wrote:

>> These are the modules in my BIOS:
>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/MODULES.TXT
>>
>> I believe that the "Small OEM Logo" is the "Green" logo.
>
>That sounds like a possibility. And that is your startup screen? I have
>no way to look into my own BIOS.

Those modules were extracted using AMI's amibcp.exe utility.

>> This is a dump of my AMI BIOS:
>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/L7S7A2.RPT
>>
>> These are the binary modules that were extracted from the compressed
>> image:
>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/
>>
>> Gigabyte "Face-Wizard":
>>
>http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_facewizard.htm
>>
>> "Face-Wizard� allows user to select BIOS on board or file in hard
>> drive/floppy disk/zip/MO or other storage devices and combine the
>> compatible picture you prefer into BIOS. And not only this,
>> Face-Wizard� also helps user to update BIOS in Windows mode."
>
>That sounds scary to me. I wouldn't want to make it impossible to boot.
>Of course, I do have my BIOS on a floppy ready to flash again if
>necessary. But really -- if anything -- I'd just want that COMPAQ screen
>to disappear, not to replace it. I'd want to see whether anything shows
>up under it. Putting Logo=0 into MSDOS.sys had no effect. There never
>was an MS bootup screen that I can recall-- & it doesn't prevent the
>big, red COMPAQ!

Disconnect your hard drive. If the logo still comes up, then it's
embedded in your BIOS code.

>I should put a Logo.sys into C:/ (I have one elsewhere) & set Logo=1 to
>see what happens. But I can swear the one in IO.sys never showed back
>when I had no Logo=0.
>
>Well, looking inside IO.sys, I do see...
>0003 5F20 00 00 43 4F 4D 50 41 51 00 00 54 4F 53 48 49 42
>..COMPAQ..TOSHIB

Mine has the same.

>...So, it's possible that was altered. OK, I've set it to show Logo.sys
>& will report back next boot.
>
>> Asus MyLogo Series:
>> http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/mb/mylogo.htm
>>
>> "With the MyLogo Series, you can download your favorite image from
>> Windows into the BIOS Flash ROM, providing a fast, convenient way to
>> 'decorate' your system."
>
>That actually looks nice, but I'd fear it weren't compatible with this
>Compaq.

No, it won't be. I just included it to show you that adding customised
logos to your BIOS was possible.

thanatoid

Sep 15, 2009, 2:49:10 PM9/15/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

> thanatoid wrote:

<SNIP>

>> I believe these and your other links relate to the image
>> which appears on the screen after you /power up/, not when
>> Windows is starting. For instance, I happen to also have a
>> Compaq (sigh) and there is a Compaq utility to change the
>> built-in red Compaq logo with "your company logo" or
>> whatever, but it just has not been worth the bother.
>
> Do you have a Log.sys in C:\?

If you mean "logo.sys", yes. Customized - it's Natasha
Henstridge in a white bikini and it says, in French, "d�marrage
de Win 98SE Lite". Not sure how it ended up that way - well, I
thought it looked good, obviously... It's HIGH time to change it
but I seem to have stopped caring about a lot of stuff recently.

> Have you ever seen an MS logo
> screen at boot on that Compaq? (I can't recall I ever have.

I can not under any circumstances imagine an MS logo appearing
after pressing the power button - FOR NOW. It is entirely
possible that the time will come when MS will have total control
of the BIOS as well as all the other stuff they are
"supervising" on XP+ machines already. Paranoia or whatever...
but - for the purposes of this discussion - AFAIK, the BIOS has
nothing to do with whether it's a Mac or Linux or Win 3.11 or
Win7 machine.

> I did put Logo=0 into MSDOS.sys-- but that was a vain
> attempt to stop that big, red COMPAQ.)

No, the MSDOS.sys file only affects what happens when the OS
starts - 98SE is really a big DOS shell, which is why you have
all the DOS files and stuff flashing on the screen etc. - but
all that is already WAY PAST the BIOS stage.

> The only Logo.sys
> I've got is in the Options\Cabs folder.

I have that /directory/ but I don't have that file in it.

> (And I don't recall
> deleting one!) It's a flying Windows logo that says
> Microsoft Windows 98. But on the bottom it says: "Getting
> ready to run Windows for the first time". That can't be
> normal.

I think it must have ended up in there doing one or another
installation of Windows and just stayed there. Like I said, I
don't have it, but I run Win98SE /LITE/ so that /may/ have
something to do with it. The flying Windows logo is replaced by
a 98 Lite screen - which I replaced with the Natasha H. one ages
ago.

> I wonder why I didn't get a utility like yours for
> my Compaq 7470.

I didn't "get it" either, I happened to run across with when
fucking around with something or other. There may or may not be
one for your machine - the HP site is actually very
comprehensive with lots of very useful files. But my machine is
a "business" (AOT "home" model) and that utility may not be
available for home models. Which is not to say it may not work
on your BIOS, but... need I say more? It's part of either
SP30649 - for business desktops ONLY - or SP28117 which MAY be
for business desktops ONLY, can't remember - but it still MIGHT
run on your BIOS, or destroy it.

Of course, there are many BIOS backup/restore programs
available. I have flashed the BIOS in both my current machines
several times and - strangely and surprisingly enough - nothing
awful ever happened. But something awful CAN, of course, always
happen, very easily.

> What is it called? But I'd be loath to
> download one, if it isn't on here already somewhere.

Sounds contradictory. I'd "love to" or I'd "be loath"?

loath or loth (l�th, l��) adj.unwilling; reluctant: to be
loath to admit a mistake. [bef. 900; ME loth, lath, OE l�th
hostile, hateful, c. OS l�th, OHG leid, ON leithr]� loath�ness
n. � yn. See RELUCTANT.

<SNIP>

> I'm not the first one in this thread who wanted to change
> it. I started out just wanting it to go away. But maybe
> I'll change it. But I don't have a Dell.

If you get an older version of SiSoft Sandra which runs on 98,
it will recommend that you remove the startup Windows logo (MS
or custom) to speed things up. Again, that may have mattered in
the days of P1 and P2 processors. I just wish I knew if there is
a way to stop all the DOS crap flashing in between Natashas a
couple of times - it may just be a missing DOS echo command or
it may be something else - again, the days when I spent 3 hours
building a bizarre-yet-satisfying color scheme etc. are long
gone. [But if anybody knows, please tell me! ;-) ]

PCR

Sep 15, 2009, 10:37:33 PM9/15/09
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:38:45 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put
> finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:24:27 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put
>>> finger to keyboard and composed:

>>> These are the modules in my BIOS:
>>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/MODULES.TXT
>>>
>>> I believe that the "Small OEM Logo" is the "Green" logo.
>>
>>That sounds like a possibility. And that is your startup screen? I
>>have no way to look into my own BIOS.
>
> Those modules were extracted using AMI's amibcp.exe utility.

Would it work for me?

>>> This is a dump of my AMI BIOS:
>>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/L7S7A2.RPT
>>>
>>> These are the binary modules that were extracted from the compressed
>>> image:
>>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/L7S7A2/BIOS/
>>>
>>> Gigabyte "Face-Wizard":
>>>
>>http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/te
ch_facewizard.htm

>>> "Face-Wizard� allows user to select BIOS on board or file in hard
>>> drive/floppy disk/zip/MO or other storage devices and combine the
>>> compatible picture you prefer into BIOS. And not only this,
>>> Face-Wizard� also helps user to update BIOS in Windows mode."
>>
>>That sounds scary to me. I wouldn't want to make it impossible to
>>boot. Of course, I do have my BIOS on a floppy ready to flash again if
>>necessary. But really -- if anything -- I'd just want that COMPAQ
>>screen to disappear, not to replace it. I'd want to see whether
>>anything shows up under it. Putting Logo=0 into MSDOS.sys had no
>>effect. There never was an MS bootup screen that I can recall-- & it
>>doesn't prevent the big, red COMPAQ!
>
> Disconnect your hard drive. If the logo still comes up, then it's
> embedded in your BIOS code.

That's overkill for me on this issue. However, looks like thanatoid &
you are right to think it is BIOS doing it. When I activated the Windows
startup logo -- by removing Logo=0 from MSDOS.sys with or without
putting a Logo.sys into C:\ -- I did get an MS logo screen. (My memory
was bad about never seeing it, I guess.) BUT, it came after the MS
Startup Menu (BootMenu=1 in MSDOS.sys)-- not before it like the COMPAQ
logo screen. So-- that's enough to convince me! The Compaq logo still
also showed up.

>>I should put a Logo.sys into C:/ (I have one elsewhere) & set Logo=1
>>to see what happens. But I can swear the one in IO.sys never showed
>>back when I had no Logo=0.
>>
>>Well, looking inside IO.sys, I do see...
>>0003 5F20 00 00 43 4F 4D 50 41 51 00 00 54 4F 53 48 49 42
>>..COMPAQ..TOSHIB
>
> Mine has the same.

Hmm. But it's clear that file doesn't contain the Compaq screen. When I
set Logo=1 (without a Logo.sys in C:\)-- I got an MS logo screen!

>>...So, it's possible that was altered. OK, I've set it to show
>>Logo.sys & will report back next boot.
>>
>>> Asus MyLogo Series:
>>> http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/mb/mylogo.htm
>>>
>>> "With the MyLogo Series, you can download your favorite image from
>>> Windows into the BIOS Flash ROM, providing a fast, convenient way to
>>> 'decorate' your system."
>>
>>That actually looks nice, but I'd fear it weren't compatible with this
>>Compaq.
>
> No, it won't be. I just included it to show you that adding customised
> logos to your BIOS was possible.

OK. Yea, you're right about it being in BIOS. Thanks.

PCR

Sep 16, 2009, 12:25:41 AM9/16/09
Reposted. Didn't seem to get through first time.

thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> I believe these and your other links relate to the image

>>> which appears on the screen after you power up, not when

>>> Windows is starting. For instance, I happen to also have a
>>> Compaq (sigh) and there is a Compaq utility to change the
>>> built-in red Compaq logo with "your company logo" or
>>> whatever, but it just has not been worth the bother.
>>
>> Do you have a Log.sys in C:\?
>
> If you mean "logo.sys", yes. Customized - it's Natasha
> Henstridge in a white bikini and it says, in French, "d�marrage
> de Win 98SE Lite". Not sure how it ended up that way - well, I
> thought it looked good, obviously... It's HIGH time to change it
> but I seem to have stopped caring about a lot of stuff recently.

OK. That's what I meant, Logo.mademoiselle, yea-- I mean Logo.sys!

>> Have you ever seen an MS logo
>> screen at boot on that Compaq? (I can't recall I ever have.
>
> I can not under any circumstances imagine an MS logo appearing
> after pressing the power button - FOR NOW. It is entirely
> possible that the time will come when MS will have total control
> of the BIOS as well as all the other stuff they are
> "supervising" on XP+ machines already. Paranoia or whatever...
> but - for the purposes of this discussion - AFAIK, the BIOS has
> nothing to do with whether it's a Mac or Linux or Win 3.11 or
> Win7 machine.

OK. Looks like you were correct from the start that the Compaq logo
screen is in BIOS, & it is separate from the MS logo screen.

>> I did put Logo=0 into MSDOS.sys-- but that was a vain
>> attempt to stop that big, red COMPAQ.)
>
> No, the MSDOS.sys file only affects what happens when the OS
> starts - 98SE is really a big DOS shell, which is why you have
> all the DOS files and stuff flashing on the screen etc. - but
> all that is already WAY PAST the BIOS stage.

You were right, uh-huh, the Compaq logo shows up before the MS Startup
Menu, & the MS logo (if set to show) shows up after that menu.
Absolutely. Thanks.

>> The only Logo.sys
>> I've got is in the Options\Cabs folder.
>

> I have that directory but I don't have that file in it.

It has that "...first time" wording at bottom. The one imbedded in
IO.sys does not have those words. Sounds like it was generated when
Compaq first installed Windows into this machine. There is no Logo.sys
in any of my Win98SE .cab files-- just that one loose in the CABS
folder.

>> (And I don't recall
>> deleting one!) It's a flying Windows logo that says
>> Microsoft Windows 98. But on the bottom it says: "Getting
>> ready to run Windows for the first time". That can't be
>> normal.
>
> I think it must have ended up in there doing one or another
> installation of Windows and just stayed there. Like I said, I

> don't have it, but I run Win98SE LITE so that may have

> something to do with it. The flying Windows logo is replaced by
> a 98 Lite screen - which I replaced with the Natasha H. one ages
> ago.

I think you are right about that. But there's only ever been one Windows
installation here-- & Compaq did it. Windows came installed, you know. I
once/twice did click Setup.exe in the CABS folder just to see what it
looked like-- but I cancelled immediately! It was very
impressive-looking, though. It did claim to do some setting up, I think.
Maybe that put it there. I don't know.

>> I wonder why I didn't get a utility like yours for
>> my Compaq 7470.
>
> I didn't "get it" either, I happened to run across with when
> fucking around with something or other. There may or may not be
> one for your machine - the HP site is actually very
> comprehensive with lots of very useful files. But my machine is
> a "business" (AOT "home" model) and that utility may not be
> available for home models. Which is not to say it may not work
> on your BIOS, but... need I say more? It's part of either
> SP30649 - for business desktops ONLY - or SP28117 which MAY be
> for business desktops ONLY, can't remember - but it still MIGHT
> run on your BIOS, or destroy it.

There was no SP like that for my machine, just one to completely flash
the BIOS. Which I did do, along with a ton of other SPs. But-- no, no! I
won't risk trashing BIOS for this matter & take your SP!

> Of course, there are many BIOS backup/restore programs
> available. I have flashed the BIOS in both my current machines
> several times and - strangely and surprisingly enough - nothing
> awful ever happened. But something awful CAN, of course, always
> happen, very easily.

It went well for me too. And I was dumb enough to flash it a second
time, thinking it was necessary after replacing my hard drive.

>> What is it called? But I'd be loath to
>> download one, if it isn't on here already somewhere.
>
> Sounds contradictory. I'd "love to" or I'd "be loath"?
>
> loath or loth (l�th, l��) adj.unwilling; reluctant: to be
> loath to admit a mistake. [bef. 900; ME loth, lath, OE l�th
> hostile, hateful, c. OS l�th, OHG leid, ON leithr]� loath�ness
> n. � yn. See RELUCTANT.
>
> <SNIP>

That's what I meant. Much as I'd possibly like to change the Compaq logo
into a dancing Frenchwoman, I be reluctant to try it for fear of
crashing my BIOS.

>> I'm not the first one in this thread who wanted to change
>> it. I started out just wanting it to go away. But maybe
>> I'll change it. But I don't have a Dell.
>
> If you get an older version of SiSoft Sandra which runs on 98,
> it will recommend that you remove the startup Windows logo (MS
> or custom) to speed things up. Again, that may have mattered in
> the days of P1 and P2 processors. I just wish I knew if there is
> a way to stop all the DOS crap flashing in between Natashas a
> couple of times - it may just be a missing DOS echo command or
> it may be something else - again, the days when I spent 3 hours
> building a bizarre-yet-satisfying color scheme etc. are long

> gone. [But if anybody knows, please tell me! ]

I failed to detect a serious slowing in my experiment to activate the MS
logo screen. I like it gone, just to see the DOS lines in Config.sys &
Autoexec.bat execute as I boot. They did disappear when I activated the
logo screen. Are you saying yours still show up? Are you sure those are
DOS lines & not messages from BIOS? What does one of them say?

thanatoid

Sep 16, 2009, 6:22:11 PM9/16/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> I failed to detect a serious slowing in my experiment to
> activate the MS logo screen. I like it gone, just to see
> the DOS lines in Config.sys & Autoexec.bat execute as I
> boot.

I wish it just booted to the desktop without /anything/.

They did disappear when I activated the logo screen.
> Are you saying yours still show up? Are you sure those are
> DOS lines & not messages from BIOS? What does one of them
> say?

It shows the 98 startup menu (I have it enabled) AGAIN for 30
seconds of what should be Natasha.
Also shows the autoexec.bat file, which I can ECHO out but then
it shows the c:\>ECHO OFF

Sigh. Maybe I should use the F8 (IIRC) method for the startup
menu...

John Dulak

Sep 16, 2009, 8:34:53 PM9/16/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I failed to detect a serious slowing in my experiment to
>> activate the MS logo screen. I like it gone, just to see
>> the DOS lines in Config.sys & Autoexec.bat execute as I
>> boot.
>
> I wish it just booted to the desktop without /anything/.
>
> They did disappear when I activated the logo screen.
>> Are you saying yours still show up? Are you sure those are
>> DOS lines & not messages from BIOS? What does one of them
>> say?
>
> It shows the 98 startup menu (I have it enabled) AGAIN for 30
> seconds of what should be Natasha.
> Also shows the autoexec.bat file, which I can ECHO out but then
> it shows the c:\>ECHO OFF
>
> Sigh. Maybe I should use the F8 (IIRC) method for the startup
> menu...

thanatoid:

If you don't want the " c:\>ECHO OFF " to display change the line to:

@ECHO OFF

This will suppress the display of the command to the screen.

HTH & GL

John

--
\\\||///
------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

John Dulak - 40.4913�N,79.904�W - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

MEB

Sep 16, 2009, 8:45:03 PM9/16/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I failed to detect a serious slowing in my experiment to
>> activate the MS logo screen. I like it gone, just to see
>> the DOS lines in Config.sys & Autoexec.bat execute as I
>> boot.
>
> I wish it just booted to the desktop without /anything/.
>
> They did disappear when I activated the logo screen.
>> Are you saying yours still show up? Are you sure those are
>> DOS lines & not messages from BIOS? What does one of them
>> say?
>
> It shows the 98 startup menu (I have it enabled) AGAIN for 30
> seconds of what should be Natasha.
> Also shows the autoexec.bat file, which I can ECHO out but then
> it shows the c:\>ECHO OFF
>
> Sigh. Maybe I should use the F8 (IIRC) method for the startup
> menu...

@echo off - hides echo and below except for anything which has its own
display or which you request verification

PCR

Sep 16, 2009, 9:12:51 PM9/16/09

thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I failed to detect a serious slowing in my experiment to
>> activate the MS logo screen. I like it gone, just to see
>> the DOS lines in Config.sys & Autoexec.bat execute as I
>> boot.
>
> I wish it just booted to the desktop without /anything/.

You're asking for too little.

> They did disappear when I activated the logo screen.
>> Are you saying yours still show up? Are you sure those are
>> DOS lines & not messages from BIOS? What does one of them
>> say?
>
> It shows the 98 startup menu (I have it enabled) AGAIN for 30
> seconds of what should be Natasha.

I got these in this order when briefly set to show the MS logo...

(1) COMPAQ logo screen from BIOS.
While showing, I can hit F10 for BIOS Setup.
If BIOS were to post messages, I guess it would be here.
(2) MS Startup Menu.
Mine is set for 10 seconds in MSDOS.sys...
BootMenu=1
BootMenuDelay=10
But hit ENTER, & it goes away immediately.
Hit any key, & it stays until ENTER is pressed.
(3) MS logo screen-- Logo.sys in C:\ or the one in IO.sys.
Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys.
This is where DOS would show when Logo=0.
(4) The Windows desktop & its wallpaper.
R-Clk Desktop, Properties.

> Also shows the autoexec.bat file, which I can ECHO out but then
> it shows the c:\>ECHO OFF

That shouldn't be! It should be obscured behind the MS logo. That's what
happened here. Are you sure you are set Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys? Can it be
the 2nd Frenchwoman you see is the wallpaer?

> Sigh. Maybe I should use the F8 (IIRC) method for the startup
> menu...

No! Just hit the ENTER key or set it quicker in MSDOS.sys!

thanatoid

Sep 16, 2009, 9:57:08 PM9/16/09
John Dulak <Jo...@Booogus.com> wrote in

<SNIP>

> If you don't want the " c:\>ECHO OFF " to display change
> the line to:
>
> @ECHO OFF
>
> This will suppress the display of the command to the
> screen.
>
> HTH & GL
>
> John

Thanks very much, John.

Actually I saw the @ in front of ECHO somewhere and tried it and
it did that, but it still shows the stupid startup menu for 30
secs... Tried it FIRST with the @ in fact, then took out the @
to see what it would do... What fun...

So [for /now/, sigh] I'm going with F8... /Strangely enough/, my
98SE help file says to (paraphrased) that to access the startup
menu "press CTL, on "SOME SYSTEMS" (sic, capitals mine) F8 will
do it"... Sigh...

Cheers.

thanatoid

Sep 16, 2009, 9:57:57 PM9/16/09
MEB <MEB-n...@hotmail.com> wrote in

<SNIP>

> @echo off - hides echo and below except for anything which
> has its own display or which you request verification

Right, thanks... see prev. reply...

SIGH...

thanatoid

Sep 16, 2009, 10:12:40 PM9/16/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

>> I wish it just booted to the desktop without /anything/.
>
> You're asking for too little.

I'm getting old... I'm still a jerk, but getting a lot less
demanding...

<SNIP>

> I got these in this order when briefly set to show the MS
> logo...
>
> (1) COMPAQ logo screen from BIOS.
> While showing, I can hit F10 for BIOS Setup.
> If BIOS were to post messages, I guess it would be
> here.

Mine says "press [something] for POST messages". I looked it up,
but I forget what it was... Didn't make much sense...

[BTW, I tried the BIOS logo flash utility... it has a variety of
weird restrictions AFA the "image", and it took about twenty
times and the furthest I got was "image palette error" or
something, but I did it just like it's supposed to be, RLE
compressed BMP and everything, 64KB or less... Who cares...

> (2) MS Startup Menu.
> Mine is set for 10 seconds in MSDOS.sys...
> BootMenu=1
> BootMenuDelay=10
> But hit ENTER, & it goes away immediately.

This I knew, and in spite of getting old, 3 or 5 secs is enough
for me.

> Hit any key, & it stays until ENTER is pressed.

This I did NOT know... No, wait a minute, I did know from my
fingers having done it gazibillions of times... just not
consciously...

> (3) MS logo screen-- Logo.sys in C:\ or the one in IO.sys.
> Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys.
> This is where DOS would show when Logo=0.

Yup.

> (4) The Windows desktop & its wallpaper.
> R-Clk Desktop, Properties.

Sure... but what is the point of mentioning it here?

>> Also shows the autoexec.bat file, which I can ECHO out but
>> then it shows the c:\>ECHO OFF
>
> That shouldn't be! It should be obscured behind the MS
> logo.

Many things SHOULD BE in MS products. I just look3d at my MS-DOS
5 book... At the time of its printing, the MS slogan used to be
"Making it all make sense[TM]".

Right.

> That's what happened here. Are you sure you are set
> Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys? Can it be the 2nd Frenchwoman you see
> is the wallpaer?

I already /told you/ she's Canadian! And it's the same Windows
logo.sys but for SOME reason the damn startup menu interrupts it
every time!

I got really fed up with wallpapers a long time ago, after
collecting about a zillion of them... made some of my own too...
Way too much free time... Now I don't even have a custom color
scheme - I'm on plum now IIRC... I went to a lot of trouble to
set up an all greyshade scheme and I have it saved, but for some
reason on my "new" "monitor", (LG 17", last new CRT I could find
around here) it shows up in very faint shades of colors. I MAY
have had the graphics set to High Color not 32bit, like I do
now, but for now I don't see much point in checking if the
greyscale scheme look OK now or not... Do I sound a little
jaded?

>> Sigh. Maybe I should use the F8 (IIRC) method for the
>> startup menu...
>
> No! Just hit the ENTER key or set it quicker in MSDOS.sys!

It's set for 3 or 5 secs, but the damn thing returns for 30
seconds every time I boot Windows...

Sigh...

MEB

Sep 16, 2009, 10:41:19 PM9/16/09
thanatoid wrote:
> MEB <MEB-n...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> @echo off - hides echo and below except for anything which
>> has its own display or which you request verification
>
> Right, thanks... see prev. reply...
>
> SIGH...

Yeah, saw that, I'm not getting what you want?
Is it NO screen as in blank, or a specific background during boot, or no
menu, some combination, or ... ??

It probably just me, but I'm not understanding what you're trying to
accomplish here...

Wait, a re-read... oh, so what you want is no interference with
Natasha, must look good.. anyway..

The echo statement as previously shown AS THE FIRST line in
autoexec.bat, then check for any sound [the number one offender], video,
or other drivers that might be loaded from the autoexec.bat [or
config.sys if you have one] which provide verification of loading.
If they came with info, read it for the command line option to repress
the verification. If no info, then try playing around with removing /v
or adding /-v in autoexec, or better still, post the autoexec and config
and we may be able to figure it out.

If you happen to have a resource hack tool, hex editor, File
Investigator, QuickView Plus, or similar, look at the offending loading
application for the commands within the file...

thanatoid

Sep 16, 2009, 11:26:53 PM9/16/09

> thanatoid wrote:
>> MEB <MEB-n...@hotmail.com> wrote in

<SNIP>

> Yeah, saw that, I'm not getting what you want?

> Is it NO screen as in blank, or a specific background
> during boot, or no menu, some combination, or ... ??
>
> It probably just me, but I'm not understanding what you're
> trying to
> accomplish here...
>
> Wait, a re-read... oh, so what you want is no interference
> with
> Natasha, must look good..

Well, I actually don't find her /that/ attractive, but it made a
good startup screen...
It's nice to see that someone who was a model (rarely possessing
any talents, just currently-appealing appearance) originally
actually made it as an actress.

> anyway..
>
> The echo statement as previously shown AS THE FIRST line
> in autoexec.bat

<SNIP>

> better still,
> post the autoexec and config and we may be able to figure
> it out.

There is nothing in them except a placeholder text from System
Commander (boot manager) and @ECHO OFF in autoexec.

And it has /always/ happened, before I installed System
Commander (I know there are MANY boot programs but I have used
their Partition Commander and it works very well, and so far
this {SC} does too).

> If you happen to have a resource hack tool, hex editor,
> File
> Investigator, QuickView Plus, or similar, look at the
> offending loading application for the commands within the
> file...

I have resource tuner, have fixed the HORRID icons of an
otherwise great program, ThumbsPlus (OLD version) and a few
others, but this is not a program unless we call Win98SE a
program and that may be not /exactly/ correct for a variety of
reasons...

But that is a suggestion worth exploring in other situations...
I have only used that program to change ugly icons so far...

Thanks MEB, and thanks to all others for all the responses...

MEB

Sep 17, 2009, 12:19:26 AM9/17/09

AH,,, okay, I have another point to ponder, haven't used System
Commander since... when.... 94 or 5 maybe...

Just running through old memories --- wasn't there a boot screen
associated with that, yeah, so why is the 98 boot menu being used also,,
uhm so 9X DOS and Safe Mode can be accessed?? okay maybe... so menu
options from System Commander are referenced in config.sys?? no, don't
think so, maybe just to remind Commander was being used... okay, so
where's the DOS sound driver??? hmm,,, what is referenced by System
Commander to boot to 9X,,, was it in the "real" autoexec and config held
in the Commander controlled boot process?? hmm, don't remember... seems
like there was an administrator's screen... yep,, and changed the MBR
and registry, referencing back to itself.. hmm, what version was that..

>> If you happen to have a resource hack tool, hex editor,
>> File
>> Investigator, QuickView Plus, or similar, look at the
>> offending loading application for the commands within the
>> file...
>
> I have resource tuner, have fixed the HORRID icons of an
> otherwise great program, ThumbsPlus (OLD version) and a few
> others, but this is not a program unless we call Win98SE a
> program and that may be not /exactly/ correct for a variety of
> reasons...
>
> But that is a suggestion worth exploring in other situations...
> I have only used that program to change ugly icons so far...
>
> Thanks MEB, and thanks to all others for all the responses...

Franc Zabkar

Sep 17, 2009, 3:26:18 AM9/17/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:37:33 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put

finger to keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:38:45 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put
>> finger to keyboard and composed:

>>>That sounds like a possibility. And that is your startup screen? I
>>>have no way to look into my own BIOS.
>>
>> Those modules were extracted using AMI's amibcp.exe utility.
>
>Would it work for me?

I don't think so.

thanatoid

Sep 17, 2009, 3:34:28 PM9/17/09
MEB <MEB-n...@hotmail.com> wrote in

<SNIP>

> AH,,, okay, I have another point to ponder, haven't used
> System
> Commander since... when.... 94 or 5 maybe...
>
> Just running through old memories --- wasn't there a boot
> screen associated with that, yeah, so why is the 98 boot
> menu being used also,, uhm so 9X DOS and Safe Mode can be
> accessed?? okay maybe... so menu options from System
> Commander are referenced in config.sys?? no, don't think
> so, maybe just to remind Commander was being used... okay,
> so where's the DOS sound driver??? hmm,,, what is
> referenced by System Commander to boot to 9X,,, was it in
> the "real" autoexec and config held in the Commander
> controlled boot process?? hmm, don't remember... seems like
> there was an administrator's screen... yep,, and changed
> the MBR and registry, referencing back to itself.. hmm,
> what version was that..

I hope this will suffice for a reply...

A small Sys Com info screen (DOS) DOES appear *after* (AOT
"inside") Natasha for about 20-40 seconds but no startup screen
since I disabled it. IIRC. Did it last night and then had
enough.

The relev. section of MSDOS.INI is now:

BootMenu=0
BootMenuDelay=5
BootKeys=1

(........)

Now I am playing with WHY if I add this:

[386Enh]
MaxPhysPage=30000

and my 98SE settings are

[vcache]
MinFileCache=0
MaxFileCache=524288
chunksize=4096

(irrelevant entries omitted in both)

my system will /not/ boot into Windows but if I "," out the
30000 line, everything is fine.

1 1GB stick and 1 128 MB stick, whatever the hell that adds up
to (I would think 1152 but who the hell knows...

(4MB for AGP aperture even though I have no AGP card, it has to
be set to SOMETHING...)

PCR

Sep 17, 2009, 8:32:35 PM9/17/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> I wish it just booted to the desktop without /anything/.
>>
>> You're asking for too little.
>
> I'm getting old... I'm still a jerk, but getting a lot less
> demanding...

LOL!

> <SNIP>
>
>> I got these in this order when briefly set to show the MS
>> logo...
>>
>> (1) COMPAQ logo screen from BIOS.
>> While showing, I can hit F10 for BIOS Setup.
>> If BIOS were to post messages, I guess it would be
>> here.
>
> Mine says "press [something] for POST messages". I looked it up,
> but I forget what it was... Didn't make much sense...

My 7470 Desktop just has a the big, red COMPAQ & a blinking curser that
jumps left/right. I must press F10 in between jumps, if I want to get
into BIOS Setup.

You seem to have something extra. If I were willing to trust my memory
this soon after it lied, I'd probably say I doubt I ever saw my BIOS
post a message. For a while a while ago, it was beeping at me quickly
thrice-- but that's gone away! Before that, it was beeping once or
twice-- but I'm fairly sure that's gone too now!

> [BTW, I tried the BIOS logo flash utility... it has a variety of
> weird restrictions AFA the "image", and it took about twenty
> times and the furthest I got was "image palette error" or
> something, but I did it just like it's supposed to be, RLE
> compressed BMP and everything, 64KB or less... Who cares...

You mean just to alter the Compaq logo screen? I can only guess on that.
Looks like Zabkar is the one for that. Somewhere in the course of this
thread, I came to believe you already had changed your Compaq logo to be
Natashia. I see I was wrong, & you actually said it was the Win98Lite
Logo.sys that was changed.

OK. But THAT should block out Config.sys & Autoexec.bat!

>> (2) MS Startup Menu.
>> Mine is set for 10 seconds in MSDOS.sys...
>> BootMenu=1
>> BootMenuDelay=10
>> But hit ENTER, & it goes away immediately.
>
> This I knew, and in spite of getting old, 3 or 5 secs is enough
> for me.

I didn't like it that short.

>> Hit any key, & it stays until ENTER is pressed.
>
> This I did NOT know... No, wait a minute, I did know from my
> fingers having done it gazibillions of times... just not
> consciously...

Uh-huh. That's how I knew too.

>> (3) MS logo screen-- Logo.sys in C:\ or the one in IO.sys.
>> Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys.
>> This is where DOS would show when Logo=0.
>
> Yup.

Right. But you see it with Logo=1?

>> (4) The Windows desktop & its wallpaper.
>> R-Clk Desktop, Properties.
>
> Sure... but what is the point of mentioning it here?

I became mixed up somehow. I thought you were seeing Natashia twice with
(what might be) DOS in between. I thought wallpaper might be the 2nd
Natashia after your Compaq logo (which I know now isn't one-- IF there
are two).

If "@ECHO OFF" controls what you see, what you see is the DOS of
Config.sys & Autoexec.bat. But those shouldn't show when Logo=1 in
MSDOS.sys. The MS logo hid that for me.

>>> Also shows the autoexec.bat file, which I can ECHO out but
>>> then it shows the c:\>ECHO OFF
>>
>> That shouldn't be! It should be obscured behind the MS
>> logo.
>
> Many things SHOULD BE in MS products. I just look3d at my MS-DOS
> 5 book... At the time of its printing, the MS slogan used to be
> "Making it all make sense[TM]".
>
> Right.

Uh-huh. I'm certainly about to give up. I see System Commander may be
involved too. I must leave that between you & MEB.

>> That's what happened here. Are you sure you are set
>> Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys? Can it be the 2nd Frenchwoman you see
>> is the wallpaer?
>
> I already /told you/ she's Canadian! And it's the same Windows
> logo.sys but for SOME reason the damn startup menu interrupts it
> every time!

I thought for sure it was a dancing Frenchwoman. My Startup Menu shows
up BEFORE my Logo.sys. MSDOS.sys is before the menu. IO.sys is before
MSDOS.sys. MBR boot code is before IO.sys. BIOS is before MBR boot code.

Could be System Commander has changed one of the 10 commandments for
you-- as MEB seems to be saying. I can't say for sure!

> I got really fed up with wallpapers a long time ago, after
> collecting about a zillion of them... made some of my own too...
> Way too much free time... Now I don't even have a custom color
> scheme - I'm on plum now IIRC... I went to a lot of trouble to
> set up an all greyshade scheme and I have it saved,

I can see all that. Now/then I switch Desktop Themes, but I hardly look
much at the Desktop, really.

> but for some
> reason on my "new" "monitor", (LG 17", last new CRT I could find
> around here) it shows up in very faint shades of colors. I MAY
> have had the graphics set to High Color not 32bit, like I do
> now, but for now I don't see much point in checking if the
> greyscale scheme look OK now or not... Do I sound a little
> jaded?

I don't know. And I don't really want to talk about monitors. This is
the 3rd one about to go! An Envision EN5400e! I was so happy with it at
first! Now, its buttons won't work-- even the on/off button must be
pressed multiple times to work. And a week/so ago-- it was going on/off
by itself while I was trying to post! I often find it has gone on by
itself overnight! But my colors are fine.

>>> Sigh. Maybe I should use the F8 (IIRC) method for the
>>> startup menu...
>>
>> No! Just hit the ENTER key or set it quicker in MSDOS.sys!
>
> It's set for 3 or 5 secs, but the damn thing returns for 30
> seconds every time I boot Windows...

That's pretty odd. I'm guessing...

(a) "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button"
(b) Uncheck "Enable Startup Menu"
(c) Reboot -- I guess -- to enable MSConfig to complete,
or check inside MSDOS.sys to see whether it's done.
(d) Open MSDOS.sys & manually enter...
BootMenu=0
BootMenuDelay=5

When set through MSConfig, you get 30 seconds. Can it be doing it each
boot? I am unchecked in MSConfig & still get my menu (for 10 seconds).

> Sigh...

PCR

Sep 17, 2009, 8:36:24 PM9/17/09

OK, thanks. Are you sure you've got your "c" & your "k" in the right
places...?...

> - Franc Zabkar

:-).

thanatoid

Sep 18, 2009, 12:29:58 AM9/18/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> You seem to have something extra. If I were willing to
> trust my memory this soon after it lied, I'd probably say I
> doubt I ever saw my BIOS post a message. For a while a
> while ago, it was beeping at me quickly thrice-- but that's
> gone away! Before that, it was beeping once or twice-- but
> I'm fairly sure that's gone too now!

Beeps MAY indicate memory and other problems. Look on the HP
site and find out what the beeps mean for your machine.

>> [BTW, I tried the BIOS logo flash utility... it has a
>> variety of weird restrictions AFA the "image", and it took
>> about twenty times and the furthest I got was "image
>> palette error" or something, but I did it just like it's
>> supposed to be, RLE compressed BMP and everything, 64KB or
>> less... Who cares...
>
> You mean just to alter the Compaq logo screen? I can only
> guess on that. Looks like Zabkar is the one for that.
> Somewhere in the course of this thread, I came to believe
> you already had changed your Compaq logo to be Natashia. I
> see I was wrong, & you actually said it was the Win98Lite
> Logo.sys that was changed.

Right, and BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR NAGGING ;-) I ended up trying
to flash the stupid BIOS Logo, and the only thing left to try is
to alter the original (the ONLY thing the damn program WOULD do
was to save the original logo so I have it as a BMP file now and
can try editing it instead of making a /new/ BMP RLE file to
their /STUPID SPECS/.

> OK. But THAT should block out Config.sys & Autoexec.bat!
>
>>> (2) MS Startup Menu.
>>> Mine is set for 10 seconds in MSDOS.sys...
>>> BootMenu=1
>>> BootMenuDelay=10
>>> But hit ENTER, & it goes away immediately.
>>
>> This I knew, and in spite of getting old, 3 or 5 secs is
>> enough for me.
>
> I didn't like it that short.

Size doesn't matter.

<SNIP>

> Right. But you see it with Logo=1?

Yes. How many more times do I have to tell you?

It pops into Natasha for 30 seconds. And what the hell gave you
ANY idea she is dancing? I know these days it appears mandatory
for all dancers and backup singers to wear bikinis (for lack of
a better term), and I did say she is wearing a white bikini, but
please do not confuse a startup screen with the "virtual girl"
annoyance.

>>> (4) The Windows desktop & its wallpaper.
>>> R-Clk Desktop, Properties.
>>
>> Sure... but what is the point of mentioning it here?
>
> I became mixed up somehow. I thought you were seeing
> Natashia twice with (what might be) DOS in between.

YES.

I /DO/, but only when the Windows 98 (DOS shell) is starting...
way past BIOS!

> I thought wallpaper might be the 2nd Natashia after your

Natasha. Are you just trying to drive me crazy? Is that what
this thread is about now?

> Compaq logo (which I know now isn't one-- IF there are
> two).

No offense, but either you ARE trying to drive me crazy or we
seem to have a slight cognitive mismatch... This is really
beginning to remind me of some group therapy arguments I was
part of in the good old days...

Anyway, I won't repeat what I already said 3 or 4 times...

> If "@ECHO OFF" controls what you see, what you see is the
> DOS of Config.sys & Autoexec.bat. But those shouldn't show
> when Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys. The MS logo hid that for me.

>>> That shouldn't be! It should be obscured behind the MS
>>> logo.
>>
>> Many things SHOULD BE in MS products. I just look3d at my
>> MS-DOS 5 book... At the time of its printing, the MS
>> slogan used to be "Making it all make sense[TM]".
>>
>> Right.
>
> Uh-huh. I'm certainly about to give up. I see System
> Commander may be involved too. I must leave that between
> you & MEB.

I dumped System Manager. I thought I'd play around with Damn
Small Linux (I ran it from a virtual drive and it works great)
but what's the point.

>>> That's what happened here. Are you sure you are set
>>> Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys? Can it be the 2nd Frenchwoman you
>>> see is the wallpaer?
>>
>> I already /told you/ she's Canadian! And it's the same
>> Windows logo.sys but for SOME reason the damn startup menu
>> interrupts it every time!
>
> I thought for sure it was a dancing Frenchwoman. My Startup
> Menu shows up BEFORE my Logo.sys. MSDOS.sys is before the
> menu. IO.sys is before MSDOS.sys. MBR boot code is before
> IO.sys. BIOS is before MBR boot code.
>
> Could be System Commander has changed one of the 10
> commandments for you-- as MEB seems to be saying. I can't
> say for sure!

It ALWAYS happened this way with 98SE. For about 4 or so years
I've had this computer.

>> I got really fed up with wallpapers a long time ago, after
>> collecting about a zillion of them... made some of my own
>> too... Way too much free time... Now I don't even have a
>> custom color scheme - I'm on plum now IIRC... I went to a
>> lot of trouble to set up an all greyshade scheme and I
>> have it saved,
>
> I can see all that. Now/then I switch Desktop Themes, but I
> hardly look much at the Desktop, really.

Themes? No thanks.

>> but for some
>> reason on my "new" "monitor", (LG 17", last new CRT I
>> could find around here) it shows up in very faint shades
>> of colors. I MAY have had the graphics set to High Color
>> not 32bit, like I do now, but for now I don't see much
>> point in checking if the greyscale scheme look OK now or
>> not... Do I sound a little jaded?
>
> I don't know. And I don't really want to talk about
> monitors. This is the 3rd one about to go! An Envision
> EN5400e! I was so happy with it at first! Now, its buttons
> won't work-- even the on/off button must be pressed
> multiple times to work. And a week/so ago-- it was going
> on/off by itself while I was trying to post! I often find
> it has gone on by itself overnight! But my colors are fine.

Tried it, the stupid Compaq boot mechanism gives me about 1/100
of a second to hit the F8 key (if I hit it too early it gets me
into the BIOS, why i don't know...) so I had to go back to the
bootmenu=1...

<SNIP>

> (a) "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button"
> (b) Uncheck "Enable Startup Menu"
> (c) Reboot -- I guess -- to enable MSConfig to complete,
> or check inside MSDOS.sys to see whether it's done.
> (d) Open MSDOS.sys & manually enter...
> BootMenu=0
> BootMenuDelay=5
>
> When set through MSConfig, you get 30 seconds. Can it be
> doing it each boot? I am unchecked in MSConfig & still get
> my menu (for 10 seconds).
>
>> Sigh...

I never even SAW MS Config until a few years ago when someone
mentioned it. I can't find it in the Windows directory but when
I typed the run command you gave above, it did show up. I think
I prefer just editing ini files. Anyway, I saw it today for the
2nd time in my life, and I only remember that I DID see it one
before but I don't /actually remember/ seeing it, I just /know/
I did. It's late.

I did set memory to 500 and we'll see what happens. I have a 3.1
program that won't run because there's not enough and too much
memory at once. (It USED to of course, before all world's
computers started plotting against me...

So I installed Tiny XP, same thing. Maybe I'll just have to
install win 3.11 on ANOTHER partition.

Am I having fun yet?

thanatoid

Sep 18, 2009, 12:32:20 AM9/18/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

>>>Would it work for me?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>
> OK, thanks. Are you sure you've got your "c" & your "k" in
> the right places...?...

What the hell is THAT supposed to mean?

>> - Franc Zabkar
>
>:-).

After my 5 week vacation everyone on the Usenet appears top have
been replaced by evil doppelgangers. I guess I am really going
nuts - this time for good, let's hope. Enough is enough.

MEB

Sep 18, 2009, 1:04:03 AM9/18/09

Sorry must have glossed over, and missed this one...

Okay, glad its doing what you want.

> (........)
>
> Now I am playing with WHY if I add this:
>
> [386Enh]
> MaxPhysPage=30000

limits the physical RAM used to 768 MB

1 GB of ram in 98 needs system.ini to match this [or close, may take
some tweaking]:

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=512000

OR games maybe
MaxFileCache=131072

1 gig
[386enh]
MaxPhysPage=40000

You have 1 gig PLUS 128 [why I don't know].. send me the 128meg stick I
need some more memory in this machine, and your not using it [with your
present settings anyway].

And you could play around with the setting
ConservativeSwapFile
with that amount of memory.

Or did you find Windows crashing above 768megs?

You're running a non-standard 9X still, right?

> and my 98SE settings are
>
> [vcache]
> MinFileCache=0
> MaxFileCache=524288

512meg cache with only 768meg per previous noted, yep you're going to crash.

> chunksize=4096

Might also try:
chunksize=2048
namecache=4096
directorycache=96

> (irrelevant entries omitted in both)
>
> my system will /not/ boot into Windows but if I "," out the
> 30000 line, everything is fine.
>
> 1 1GB stick and 1 128 MB stick, whatever the hell that adds up
> to (I would think 1152 but who the hell knows...
>
> (4MB for AGP aperture even though I have no AGP card, it has to
> be set to SOMETHING...)

Yeah, I use a PCI video card, so I also set mine at 4.
Leaves some additional memory addressing space available.

PCR

Sep 18, 2009, 7:21:38 PM9/18/09

thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> You seem to have something extra. If I were willing to
>> trust my memory this soon after it lied, I'd probably say I
>> doubt I ever saw my BIOS post a message. For a while a
>> while ago, it was beeping at me quickly thrice-- but that's
>> gone away! Before that, it was beeping once or twice-- but
>> I'm fairly sure that's gone too now!
>
> Beeps MAY indicate memory and other problems. Look on the HP
> site and find out what the beeps mean for your machine.

I never found a description of beeps at that site, but found various
ones elsewhere. But I haven't heard any beeps in a while. So, it didn't
matter I never could quite figure which beep list applied to me. And it
didn't come in the Compaq manuals, either, not that I've spotted.

>>> [BTW, I tried the BIOS logo flash utility... it has a
>>> variety of weird restrictions AFA the "image", and it took
>>> about twenty times and the furthest I got was "image
>>> palette error" or something, but I did it just like it's
>>> supposed to be, RLE compressed BMP and everything, 64KB or
>>> less... Who cares...
>>
>> You mean just to alter the Compaq logo screen? I can only
>> guess on that. Looks like Zabkar is the one for that.
>> Somewhere in the course of this thread, I came to believe
>> you already had changed your Compaq logo to be Natashia. I
>> see I was wrong, & you actually said it was the Win98Lite
>> Logo.sys that was changed.
>
> Right, and BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR NAGGING ;-) I ended up trying
> to flash the stupid BIOS Logo, and the only thing left to try is
> to alter the original (the ONLY thing the damn program WOULD do
> was to save the original logo so I have it as a BMP file now and
> can try editing it instead of making a /new/ BMP RLE file to
> their /STUPID SPECS/.

Sounds like I'm lucky I didn't get that capability with my 7470! I
hesitate to offer any advice. I'd rather Zabkar be blamed for the worse
outcomes! :-).

PCR

Sep 18, 2009, 8:32:00 PM9/18/09
Clicked SEND too soon. Here's the rest.

thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> You seem to have something extra. If I were willing to
>> trust my memory this soon after it lied, I'd probably say I
>> doubt I ever saw my BIOS post a message. For a while a
>> while ago, it was beeping at me quickly thrice-- but that's
>> gone away! Before that, it was beeping once or twice-- but
>> I'm fairly sure that's gone too now!
>
> Beeps MAY indicate memory and other problems. Look on the HP
> site and find out what the beeps mean for your machine.

I never found a description of beeps at that site, but found various

ones elsewhere. But I haven't heard any beeps in a while. So, it didn't
matter I never could quite figure which beep list applied to me. And it
didn't come in the Compaq manuals, either, not that I've spotted.

>>> [BTW, I tried the BIOS logo flash utility... it has a

>>> variety of weird restrictions AFA the "image", and it took
>>> about twenty times and the furthest I got was "image
>>> palette error" or something, but I did it just like it's
>>> supposed to be, RLE compressed BMP and everything, 64KB or
>>> less... Who cares...
>>
>> You mean just to alter the Compaq logo screen? I can only
>> guess on that. Looks like Zabkar is the one for that.
>> Somewhere in the course of this thread, I came to believe
>> you already had changed your Compaq logo to be Natashia. I
>> see I was wrong, & you actually said it was the Win98Lite
>> Logo.sys that was changed.
>

> Right, and BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR NAGGING I ended up trying

> to flash the stupid BIOS Logo, and the only thing left to try is
> to alter the original (the ONLY thing the damn program WOULD do
> was to save the original logo so I have it as a BMP file now and

> can try editing it instead of making a new BMP RLE file to
> their STUPID SPECS.

Sounds like I'm lucky I didn't get that capability with my 7470! I
hesitate to offer any advice. I'd rather Zabkar be blamed for the worse
outcomes! :-).

>> OK. But THAT should block out Config.sys & Autoexec.bat!

>>> This I knew, and in spite of getting old, 3 or 5 secs is
>>> enough for me.
>>
>> I didn't like it that short.
>
> Size doesn't matter.

LOL!

> <SNIP>
>
>> Right. But you see it with Logo=1?
>
> Yes. How many more times do I have to tell you?

It's unbelievable!

> It pops into Natasha for 30 seconds.

I've really given up on that. But ... maybe ... itemize the order in
which you see the following-- both with the MS logo activated & with it
de-activated. Perhaps also toggle whether the Startup Menu is activated.
Is it possible to toggle System Commander?

(1) BIOS logo Screen
(2) System Commander screen
(3) MS Startup Menu
(4a) MS logo screen (Natasha)
(4b) DOS lines of Config.sys/Autoexec.bat
(5) Whatever else you see

When you deactivate the MS logo-- do you see Natasha at all?

> And what the hell gave you
> ANY idea she is dancing? I know these days it appears mandatory
> for all dancers and backup singers to wear bikinis (for lack of
> a better term), and I did say she is wearing a white bikini, but
> please do not confuse a startup screen with the "virtual girl"
> annoyance.

All Frenchwomen dance!

>>> Sure... but what is the point of mentioning it here?
>>
>> I became mixed up somehow. I thought you were seeing
>> Natashia twice with (what might be) DOS in between.
>
> YES.
>

> I DO, but only when the Windows 98 (DOS shell) is starting...
> way past BIOS!

Foof! I really don't see how Logo.sys would show twice. I still want to
believe there is a second source of the image.

>> I thought wallpaper might be the 2nd Natashia after your
>
> Natasha. Are you just trying to drive me crazy? Is that what
> this thread is about now?
>
>> Compaq logo (which I know now isn't one-- IF there are
>> two).
>
> No offense, but either you ARE trying to drive me crazy or we
> seem to have a slight cognitive mismatch... This is really
> beginning to remind me of some group therapy arguments I was
> part of in the good old days...

I guess one of us could have a cognitive mishmash. I certainly amn't
trying anything!

> Anyway, I won't repeat what I already said 3 or 4 times...

Any further repetitions are iterations.

>> If "@ECHO OFF" controls what you see, what you see is the
>> DOS of Config.sys & Autoexec.bat. But those shouldn't show
>> when Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys. The MS logo hid that for me.

>>> Many things SHOULD BE in MS products. I just look3d at my
>>> MS-DOS 5 book... At the time of its printing, the MS
>>> slogan used to be "Making it all make sense[TM]".
>>>
>>> Right.
>>
>> Uh-huh. I'm certainly about to give up. I see System
>> Commander may be involved too. I must leave that between
>> you & MEB.
>
> I dumped System Manager. I thought I'd play around with Damn
> Small Linux (I ran it from a virtual drive and it works great)
> but what's the point.

Sounded like it might alter the startup axis, which maybe we both need
to review...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/startup.htm
The startup axis. I'll bet the answer is here!

>>> I already told you she's Canadian! And it's the same

>>> Windows logo.sys but for SOME reason the damn startup menu
>>> interrupts it every time!
>>
>> I thought for sure it was a dancing Frenchwoman. My Startup
>> Menu shows up BEFORE my Logo.sys. MSDOS.sys is before the
>> menu. IO.sys is before MSDOS.sys. MBR boot code is before
>> IO.sys. BIOS is before MBR boot code.
>>
>> Could be System Commander has changed one of the 10
>> commandments for you-- as MEB seems to be saying. I can't
>> say for sure!
>
> It ALWAYS happened this way with 98SE. For about 4 or so years
> I've had this computer.

Could be the answer is on cquirke's site. The boot process has many
variations & complexities. Let's look for something that could interrupt
Logo.sys or display it a 2nd time.

>>> I got really fed up with wallpapers a long time ago, after
>>> collecting about a zillion of them... made some of my own
>>> too... Way too much free time... Now I don't even have a
>>> custom color scheme - I'm on plum now IIRC... I went to a
>>> lot of trouble to set up an all greyshade scheme and I
>>> have it saved,
>>
>> I can see all that. Now/then I switch Desktop Themes, but I
>> hardly look much at the Desktop, really.
>
> Themes? No thanks.

All right. As I said, I just was guessing the wallpaper could have been
the 2nd image.

>>> but for some
>>> reason on my "new" "monitor", (LG 17", last new CRT I
>>> could find around here) it shows up in very faint shades
>>> of colors. I MAY have had the graphics set to High Color
>>> not 32bit, like I do now, but for now I don't see much
>>> point in checking if the greyscale scheme look OK now or
>>> not... Do I sound a little jaded?
>>
>> I don't know. And I don't really want to talk about
>> monitors. This is the 3rd one about to go! An Envision
>> EN5400e! I was so happy with it at first! Now, its buttons
>> won't work-- even the on/off button must be pressed
>> multiple times to work. And a week/so ago-- it was going
>> on/off by itself while I was trying to post! I often find
>> it has gone on by itself overnight! But my colors are fine.

> Tried it, the stupid Compaq boot mechanism gives me about 1/100
> of a second to hit the F8 key (if I hit it too early it gets me
> into the BIOS, why i don't know...) so I had to go back to the
> bootmenu=1...

Holding in the CTRL key during boot is superior to F8. The time limit is
not a consideration that way.

> <SNIP>
>
>> (a) "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button"
>> (b) Uncheck "Enable Startup Menu"
>> (c) Reboot -- I guess -- to enable MSConfig to complete,
>> or check inside MSDOS.sys to see whether it's done.
>> (d) Open MSDOS.sys & manually enter...
>> BootMenu=0
>> BootMenuDelay=5
>>
>> When set through MSConfig, you get 30 seconds. Can it be
>> doing it each boot? I am unchecked in MSConfig & still get
>> my menu (for 10 seconds).
>>
>>> Sigh...
>
> I never even SAW MS Config until a few years ago when someone
> mentioned it. I can't find it in the Windows directory but when
> I typed the run command you gave above, it did show up. I think
> I prefer just editing ini files. Anyway, I saw it today for the
> 2nd time in my life, and I only remember that I DID see it one

> before but I don't actually remember seeing it, I just know

> I did. It's late.

OK. But what about the Advanced button & that checkbox?

Another thing-- don't forget to look below the comment lines in
MSDOS.sys. A second BootMenuDelay may be hiding under there.

> I did set memory to 500 and we'll see what happens. I have a 3.1
> program that won't run because there's not enough and too much
> memory at once. (It USED to of course, before all world's
> computers started plotting against me...
>
> So I installed Tiny XP, same thing. Maybe I'll just have to
> install win 3.11 on ANOTHER partition.
>
> Am I having fun yet?

You're starting to stray to other matters. But keep at it. We probably
both will learn from this. And MEB too!

PCR

Sep 18, 2009, 8:44:32 PM9/18/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>

>>> I don't think so.
>>
>> OK, thanks. Are you sure you've got your "c" & your "k" in
>> the right places...?...
>
> What the hell is THAT supposed to mean?

Mixed up "c's" & "k's" could be a sign of cognitive mishmash!

>>> - Franc Zabkar
>>
>>:-).
>
> After my 5 week vacation everyone on the Usenet appears top have
> been replaced by evil doppelgangers. I guess I am really going
> nuts - this time for good, let's hope. Enough is enough.

LOL!

thanatoid

Sep 18, 2009, 10:02:58 PM9/18/09

> Sorry must have glossed over, and missed this one...

I wish I did that sometimes... answering - in my compact and
economical manner - all these posts is driving me nuts...

<SNIP>

>> Now I am playing with WHY if I add this:
>>
>> [386Enh]
>> MaxPhysPage=30000
>
> limits the physical RAM used to 768 MB

I /KNOW/. Why do you think I tried it?
READ THE REST FIRST!

> 1 GB of ram in 98 needs system.ini to match this [or close,
> may take some tweaking]:
>
> [vcache]
> MaxFileCache=512000
>
> OR games maybe
> MaxFileCache=131072
>
> 1 gig
> [386enh]
> MaxPhysPage=40000
>
> You have 1 gig PLUS 128 [why I don't know]

Well, the stupid SFF factor (who do we thank for this
terminology the Japanese or the Chinese?) box has TWO memory
slots, and it came with 2 128 sticks. I have 2 1 GB sticks but
since I NEVER have less than 500MB free, I haven't bothered to
put in BOTH 1 GB sticks, although I have tested them both and
they work. But, since I hate to see an empty slot, I stuck in
the 128. I know there was no point in it whatsoever, but it at
least reduces the amount of junk I have to live with by one,
albeit small, item - since it's INSIDE something else.

.. send me the
> 128meg stick I > need some more memory in this machine, and
your not using
> it [with your present settings anyway].

BION, and this is what you would have found out if you had read
carefully, I AM using it, at boot up I see 1048 once windows
starts and only when crap loads up it goes down to 988 or
something. Of course, there is NO difference between 988 free
RAM or 732, or 347, or 249 for that matter.

> And you could play around with the setting
> ConservativeSwapFile
> with that amount of memory.

With either setting I NEVER use /any/ of the swap file - both in
98SELite and in TinyXP.

> Or did you find Windows crashing above 768megs?

Again, you should have read on, carefully...

I said that when BOTH

MaxPhysPage=30000

AND

[vcache]
MinFileCache=0
MaxFileCache=524288
chunksize=4096

are /not rem'd out/ in system.ini, it won't boot, I get a BSOD
FEE.

I ALSO found out that even though I rem'd out the
MaxPhysPage=30000 line, stupid fucking sysconfig put in a
similar line except in hex, and that was why it wouldn't boot
today - somehow I remembered what I did last night, booted into
DOS and removed that line in XTGold.

Now THERE's a program that works.

> You're running a non-standard 9X still, right?

98SE Lite. Good thing Terhune isn't here any more to complain
how I am not running Windows AT ALL (although he never WOULD say
what it *IS* that I am running).

>> and my 98SE settings are
>>
>> [vcache]
>> MinFileCache=0
>> MaxFileCache=524288
>
> 512meg cache with only 768meg per previous noted, yep
> you're going to crash.

OK, re: all the "you didn't finish reading, read carefully crap
above" - you should have read all the way to here and just said
/that/. I DON'T understand why, but I seem to boot fine with the
1GB and 128MB sticks without that "MaxPhysPage=30000" line, and
something tells me I would boot just fine with 2 1GB sticks as
well, but I am waiting until I gather enough intestinal
fortitude to put in a video capture card, since I really hate
opening up the box (actually, one of the nice things about the
EVO SFF is that it is tool-less except for screwing in card
brackets, but I have a pretty complicated "furniture assortment"
as my desk setup.

>> chunksize=4096
>
> Might also try:
> chunksize=2048
> namecache=4096
> directorycache=96

I have looked for what the hell "chunksize" is and there is
NOTHING - I can not believe it. No Wikipedia, nothing on Google
except the word appears occasionally, but I can NOT find a
definition. I /think/ it may mean cluster size. My clusters
/are/ 4 KB, FWIW.

Can you please tell what the hell namecache=4096 and
directorycache=96 will do? I obviously have a "clue" but I would
like more than a clue, and in black and white.

>> (irrelevant entries omitted in both)
>>
>> my system will /not/ boot into Windows but if I "," out
>> the 30000 line, everything is fine.
>>
>> 1 1GB stick and 1 128 MB stick, whatever the hell that
>> adds up to (I would think 1152 but who the hell knows...
>>
>> (4MB for AGP aperture even though I have no AGP card, it
>> has to be set to SOMETHING...)
>>

> Yeah, I use a PCI video card, so I also set mine at 4.
> Leaves some additional memory addressing space available.

After all the crap I went through with an AGP card - I live in a
place where "service" and "replacement" are largely /unfamiliar/
terminology; and which is also why I can't send you the 128MB
sticks, since they would be stolen in the mail - I am just using
the onboard Intel ExtremeGraphics. It's all I needed. I bought
that stupid AGP graphics card after expressly telling myself all
day on the way to the computer places "DO NOT BUY A GRAPHICS
CARD, YOU DON'T NEED IT".

thanatoid

Sep 18, 2009, 10:13:35 PM9/18/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

> thanatoid wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Beeps MAY indicate memory and other problems. Look on the
>> HP site and find out what the beeps mean for your machine.
>
> I never found a description of beeps at that site, but
> found various ones elsewhere. But I haven't heard any beeps
> in a while. So, it didn't matter I never could quite figure
> which beep list applied to me. And it didn't come in the
> Compaq manuals, either, not that I've spotted.

I never got manuals with mine, but you can DL everything from
HP. When my first 1GB stick died, I got beeps to tell me what
was wrong, but had to use my OTHER computer to find out what
they meant.

<SNIP>

> Sounds like I'm lucky I didn't get that capability with my
> 7470! I hesitate to offer any advice. I'd rather Zabkar be
> blamed for the worse outcomes! :-).

I have seen and admired his posts for years, I do not believe he
has EVER advised anything which could/would result in a
disaster.

>>> OK. But THAT should block out Config.sys & Autoexec.bat!

Like I said, Windows *should* run OK out of the box, too, etc.
etc. etc. etc.

<SNIP>

>> Natasha. Are you just trying to drive me crazy? Is that
>> what this thread is about now?
>>
>>> Compaq logo (which I know now isn't one-- IF there are
>>> two).

There are two - well, 4 - logos: the BIOS logo and 3 Windows
logos - apparently more in XP but that's another subject and
LET'S LEAVE IT THAT WAY.

>> No offense, but either you ARE trying to drive me crazy or
>> we seem to have a slight cognitive mismatch... This is
>> really beginning to remind me of some group therapy
>> arguments I was part of in the good old days...
>>
>> Anyway, I won't repeat what I already said 3 or 4 times...
>>
>>> If "@ECHO OFF" controls what you see, what you see is the
>>> DOS of Config.sys & Autoexec.bat. But those shouldn't
>>> show when Logo=1 in MSDOS.sys. The MS logo hid that for
>>> me.

Well, as I have said x times, the startup menu pops in between
the SAME *1* logo.sys Natasha - you can NOT have 2 logo.sys's.

Yes, isn't that just wonderful?

Again, /many/ things SHOULD be.

>>> Uh-huh. I'm certainly about to give up. I see System
>>> Commander may be involved too. I must leave that between
>>> you & MEB.
>>
>> I dumped System Manager. I thought I'd play around with
>> Damn Small Linux (I ran it from a virtual drive and it
>> works great) but what's the point.

THERE ARE NO 2 FRENCHWOMEN, in fact there is not a SINGLE
Frenchwoman, Natasha is Canadian.

You should work in a mental hospital, you know... You could be
on permanent call alert and when a patient is borderline, and
they have just HAD it, they call you in, and after ten minutes
with you s/he is WAY over the edge and ready to be "dealt with"
properly.

<SNIP>

>>> When set through MSConfig, you get 30 seconds. Can it be
>>> doing it each boot? I am unchecked in MSConfig & still
>>> get my menu (for 10 seconds).

MSconfig sucks. That's what Edxor and ini files are for.

thanatoid

Sep 18, 2009, 10:25:39 PM9/18/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

> Clicked SEND too soon. Here's the rest.

I can't wait.

<SNIP>

>>> Right. But you see it with Logo=1?
>>
>> Yes. How many more times do I have to tell you?
>
> It's unbelievable!
>
>> It pops into Natasha for 30 seconds.
>
> I've really given up on that.

Popping into Natasha? She let you?

> But ... maybe ... itemize the
> order in which you see the following-- both with the MS
> logo activated & with it de-activated. Perhaps also toggle
> whether the Startup Menu is activated. Is it possible to
> toggle System Commander?

Now I KNOW you're screwing with my head.

> (1) BIOS logo Screen
> (2) System Commander screen
> (3) MS Startup Menu
> (4a) MS logo screen (Natasha)
> (4b) DOS lines of Config.sys/Autoexec.bat
> (5) Whatever else you see

I'm pretty sure it can't be done.

> When you deactivate the MS logo-- do you see Natasha at
> all?

This question does not merit a reply.

<SNIP>

> Foof! I really don't see how Logo.sys would show twice.

That's what I've been complaining about throughout this thread!

> I still want to believe there is a second source of the
> image.

HOW COULD THERE BE? Show me a system with two identically-named
files in the same directory!

>>> I thought wallpaper might be the 2nd Natashia after your
>>
>> Natasha. Are you just trying to drive me crazy? Is that
>> what this thread is about now?
>>
>>> Compaq logo (which I know now isn't one-- IF there are
>>> two).

NO Natasha in Compaq, just Compaq.

>> No offense, but either you ARE trying to drive me crazy or
>> we seem to have a slight cognitive mismatch... This is
>> really beginning to remind me of some group therapy
>> arguments I was part of in the good old days...
>
> I guess one of us could have a cognitive mishmash. I
> certainly amn't trying anything!

Right.

> Sounded like it might alter the startup axis, which maybe
> we both need to review...
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/startup.htm
> The startup axis. I'll bet the answer is here!

Now there is what MIGHT be of some use. Will check it out.

> Could be the answer is on cquirke's site. The boot process
> has many variations & complexities. Let's look for
> something that could interrupt Logo.sys or display it a 2nd
> time.

Why don't we then.

<SNIP>

> All right. As I said, I just was guessing the wallpaper
> could have been the 2nd image.

HOW? The taskbar and the icons would be all over it after a few
seconds! Plus, having the same image for startup logo AND
wallpaper would be a little boring, /and/ confusing. Things are
confusing /enough/!

> Holding in the CTRL key during boot is superior to F8. The
> time limit is not a consideration that way.

Thank you for the tip.

> OK. But what about the Advanced button & that checkbox?

Pure evil. See other reply about what it did, in hex to boot (so
to speak).

> Another thing-- don't forget to look below the comment
> lines in MSDOS.sys. A second BootMenuDelay may be hiding
> under there.

That is WHERE IT IS, not above. That's OTHER STUFF.

Is there a mental hospital nearby where you apply for a well-
paying on-call "consultant" job?

> You're starting to stray to other matters. But keep at it.
> We probably both will learn from this. And MEB too!

See, again, you are doing what they used to call "crazymaking"
in my group therapy group.

Franc Zabkar

Sep 18, 2009, 10:54:03 PM9/18/09
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:36:24 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put

finger to keyboard and composed:

>OK, thanks. Are you sure you've got your "c" & your "k" in the right

>places...?...
>
>> - Franc Zabkar
>
>:-).

If not, I can always rely on you to correct me.

:-)

PCR

Sep 18, 2009, 11:43:44 PM9/18/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> Beeps MAY indicate memory and other problems. Look on the
>>> HP site and find out what the beeps mean for your machine.
>>
>> I never found a description of beeps at that site, but
>> found various ones elsewhere. But I haven't heard any beeps
>> in a while. So, it didn't matter I never could quite figure
>> which beep list applied to me. And it didn't come in the
>> Compaq manuals, either, not that I've spotted.
>
> I never got manuals with mine, but you can DL everything from
> HP. When my first 1GB stick died, I got beeps to tell me what
> was wrong, but had to use my OTHER computer to find out what
> they meant.

Aye, there's the rub, if you haven't got an audiographic memory. OK,
I'll go look again at the site. OK, thanks.

> <SNIP>
>
>> Sounds like I'm lucky I didn't get that capability with my
>> 7470! I hesitate to offer any advice. I'd rather Zabkar be
>> blamed for the worse outcomes! :-).
>
> I have seen and admired his posts for years, I do not believe he
> has EVER advised anything which could/would result in a
> disaster.

I doubt it too-- at least, not intentionally. My smiley face meant I was
at least half joking. :-). Also, my signature mentions the possibility.

> Like I said, Windows *should* run OK out of the box, too, etc.
> etc. etc. etc.

OK.

> <SNIP>
>
>>> Natasha. Are you just trying to drive me crazy? Is that
>>> what this thread is about now?

> There are two - well, 4 - logos: the BIOS logo and 3 Windows
> logos - apparently more in XP but that's another subject and
> LET'S LEAVE IT THAT WAY.

All right. I meant something else unimportant now, if ever.

>>> No offense, but either you ARE trying to drive me crazy or
>>> we seem to have a slight cognitive mismatch... This is
>>> really beginning to remind me of some group therapy
>>> arguments I was part of in the good old days...
>>>
>>> Anyway, I won't repeat what I already said 3 or 4 times...

> Well, as I have said x times, the startup menu pops in between
> the SAME *1* logo.sys Natasha - you can NOT have 2 logo.sys's.

That's why I was searching for another Natasha besides the one that is
Logo.sys for you. I'd think it impossible Logo.sys would return once
it's gone.

Yea. But didn't MEB say how to thwart that?-- @ECHO OFF.

> Again, /many/ things SHOULD be.

Uh-huh. No doubt.

>>> I dumped System Manager. I thought I'd play around with
>>> Damn Small Linux (I ran it from a virtual drive and it
>>> works great) but what's the point.

> THERE ARE NO 2 FRENCHWOMEN, in fact there is not a SINGLE
> Frenchwoman, Natasha is Canadian.
>
> You should work in a mental hospital, you know... You could be
> on permanent call alert and when a patient is borderline, and
> they have just HAD it, they call you in, and after ten minutes
> with you s/he is WAY over the edge and ready to be "dealt with"
> properly.

How much does it pay?

> <SNIP>

> MSconfig sucks. That's what Edxor and ini files are for.

Check the setting I mentioned, & check under the comment lines within
MSDOS.sys.

thanatoid

Sep 19, 2009, 12:40:26 AM9/19/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

> thanatoid wrote:

<SNIP>

>> I never got manuals with mine, but you can DL everything
>> from HP. When my first 1GB stick died, I got beeps to tell
>> me what was wrong, but had to use my OTHER computer to
>> find out what they meant.
>
> Aye, there's the rub, if you haven't got an audiographic
> memory. OK, I'll go look again at the site. OK, thanks.
>
>> <SNIP>

> That's why I was searching for another Natasha besides the

> one that is Logo.sys for you. I'd think it impossible
> Logo.sys would return once it's gone.

One would think that, but one would be wrong. It is entirely
possible I am the only person on the planet that this happens
to, but believe me, it DOES happen. We both know that because of
the infinite combination of factors in even a 286 with nothing
BUT Win3 installed, ANYTHING can happen and anything can be
impossible to reproduce or verify or fix.

Everyone has their stories. I don't even like to remember mine,
I try to forget them. I have lost MONTHS on inexplicable
problems which apparently NO ONE else on Earth ever encountered.
(Once I figured it out, I checked with the author, with the guy
whose site I first saw the program on, and various Usenet groups
- nothing.)

Yet I was able to replicate the problem on TWO different
machines via several completely clean installs until "all the
possibles were eliminated, so the impossible HAD to be the case"
and it was - of course, it wasn't /impossible/ but like I said,
the number it did on my machine was such that unless everyone
else it happened to just gave up on computers altogether (I was
pretty damn close), then I /am/ the only person it happened to.
And don't ask me what it was, I don't want to think about it any
more than I just did. In fact I - with a LOT of work - have
pretty much managed to forget about it except once in a while
something reminds me...

>> You should work in a mental hospital, you know... You
>> could be on permanent call alert and when a patient is
>> borderline, and they have just HAD it, they call you in,
>> and after ten minutes with you s/he is WAY over the edge
>> and ready to be "dealt with" properly.
>
> How much does it pay?

On-retainer extra special "consultants" often make more than
people working at the place full-time.

>> <SNIP>

>> MSconfig sucks. That's what Edxor and ini files are for.
>
> Check the setting I mentioned, & check under the comment
> lines within MSDOS.sys.

I did all that and changed all the variables involved probably
about 30 times in the last few days, and I'm done. There are
worse things than the startup logo showing up for 30 seconds.

PCR

Sep 19, 2009, 12:55:55 AM9/19/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
>> Clicked SEND too soon. Here's the rest.
>
> I can't wait.
>
> <SNIP>

>>> Yes. How many more times do I have to tell you?
>>
>> It's unbelievable!
>>
>>> It pops into Natasha for 30 seconds.
>>
>> I've really given up on that.
>
> Popping into Natasha? She let you?

Ah, ha, ha! Naturally, I meant I was giving up on a solution to the two
Natasha's.

>> But ... maybe ... itemize the
>> order in which you see the following-- both with the MS
>> logo activated & with it de-activated. Perhaps also toggle
>> whether the Startup Menu is activated. Is it possible to
>> toggle System Commander?
>
> Now I KNOW you're screwing with my head.

No. It's hard for me to believe Logo.sys would show up twice or that the
DOS of Config.sys & Autoexec.bat would show when Logo=1 is enabled. I
wanted more detail as to what is showing & when it shows. The order of
the image(s) & the messages in the course of a boot is normally a big
clue as to what they are.

>> (1) BIOS logo Screen
>> (2) System Commander screen
>> (3) MS Startup Menu
>> (4a) MS logo screen (Natasha)
>> (4b) DOS lines of Config.sys/Autoexec.bat
>> (5) Whatever else you see
>
> I'm pretty sure it can't be done.

What can't be done? I'm not trying to screw with your head! Any attempt
is inadvertent!

>> When you deactivate the MS logo-- do you see Natasha at
>> all?
>
> This question does not merit a reply.

OK. Chris Quirke's site probably has the answer, without any further
questions or experiments.

> <SNIP>
>
>> Foof! I really don't see how Logo.sys would show twice.
>
> That's what I've been complaining about throughout this thread!

OK. And it's what my questions (probably repetitious through disbelief)
meant to examine.

>> I still want to believe there is a second source of the
>> image.
>
> HOW COULD THERE BE? Show me a system with two identically-named
> files in the same directory!

I was thinking the BIOS screen or the wallpaper might be the second one.
A weird possibility is that Logo.sys is getting called twice. But I
don't know how that could be.

>>> Natasha. Are you just trying to drive me crazy? Is that
>>> what this thread is about now?

> NO Natasha in Compaq, just Compaq.

All right. Forgive my repetition & confusion over that BIOS logo.

>>> No offense, but either you ARE trying to drive me crazy or
>>> we seem to have a slight cognitive mismatch... This is
>>> really beginning to remind me of some group therapy
>>> arguments I was part of in the good old days...
>>
>> I guess one of us could have a cognitive mishmash. I
>> certainly amn't trying anything!
>
> Right.

:-).

>> Sounded like it might alter the startup axis, which maybe
>> we both need to review...
>> http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/startup.htm
>> The startup axis. I'll bet the answer is here!
>
> Now there is what MIGHT be of some use. Will check it out.

Yep. (Alas, we lost cquirke to XP.)

>> Could be the answer is on cquirke's site. The boot process
>> has many variations & complexities. Let's look for
>> something that could interrupt Logo.sys or display it a 2nd
>> time.
>
> Why don't we then.

I'll go right after I post this. Hopefully you've found it by then.

> <SNIP>
>
>> All right. As I said, I just was guessing the wallpaper
>> could have been the 2nd image.
>
> HOW? The taskbar and the icons would be all over it after a few
> seconds! Plus, having the same image for startup logo AND
> wallpaper would be a little boring, /and/ confusing. Things are
> confusing /enough/!

OK. That's right. It was a silly grasping at straws for me.

>> Holding in the CTRL key during boot is superior to F8. The
>> time limit is not a consideration that way.
>
> Thank you for the tip.

You are welcome.

>> OK. But what about the Advanced button & that checkbox?
>
> Pure evil. See other reply about what it did, in hex to boot (so
> to speak).

I'm not sure I do see that reply. Other than the stuff you've cut from
this thread segment, all you said was: "MSconfig sucks". Is it -- or
isn't it -- checked to enable the Startup Menu at its Advanced
requestor? Uncheck it -- if so --, possibly reboot; then, set MSDOS
manually for your 5 seconds...

BootMenu=1
BootMenuDelay=5

>> Another thing-- don't forget to look below the comment
>> lines in MSDOS.sys. A second BootMenuDelay may be hiding
>> under there.
>
> That is WHERE IT IS, not above. That's OTHER STUFF.

That's where MSConfig would put it, IIRC, & with a delay of 30 seconds.

> Is there a mental hospital nearby where you apply for a well-
> paying on-call "consultant" job?

You want my job?

>> You're starting to stray to other matters. But keep at it.
>> We probably both will learn from this. And MEB too!
>
> See, again, you are doing what they used to call "crazymaking"
> in my group therapy group.

Well, what is this stuff you've cut...?...

> I did set memory to 500 and we'll see what happens. I have a 3.1
> program that won't run because there's not enough and too much
> memory at once. (It USED to of course, before all world's
> computers started plotting against me...
>
> So I installed Tiny XP, same thing. Maybe I'll just have to
> install win 3.11 on ANOTHER partition.

PCR

Sep 19, 2009, 12:57:33 AM9/19/09
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:36:24 -0400, "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> put
> finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>OK, thanks. Are you sure you've got your "c" & your "k" in the right
>>places...?...
>>
>>> - Franc Zabkar
>>
>>:-).
>
> If not, I can always rely on you to correct me.
>
> :-)

:-).

> - Franc Zabkar

PCR

Sep 19, 2009, 7:54:30 PM9/19/09

Very intriguing! You seriously could make a living writing mysteries or
science fiction, thanatoid. There's some Conan Doyle up there, but
you've put it well.

>>> You should work in a mental hospital, you know... You
>>> could be on permanent call alert and when a patient is
>>> borderline, and they have just HAD it, they call you in,
>>> and after ten minutes with you s/he is WAY over the edge
>>> and ready to be "dealt with" properly.
>>
>> How much does it pay?
>
> On-retainer extra special "consultants" often make more than
> people working at the place full-time.

I'll check into it.

>>> <SNIP>

>>> MSconfig sucks. That's what Edxor and ini files are for.

I see Edxor is a Notepad repacement. But I guess some .ini file could
possibly be responsible for establishing your 30 second BootMenuDelay.

>> Check the setting I mentioned, & check under the comment
>> lines within MSDOS.sys.
>
> I did all that and changed all the variables involved probably
> about 30 times in the last few days, and I'm done. There are
> worse things than the startup logo showing up for 30 seconds.

Something must be set to reenable the Startup Menu with a standard 30
second delay each boot. MSConfig can do that, but I'm not sure it redoes
its work inside MSDOS.sys each boot; I would hope, once done, its done.

It's OK to quit on this & Natasha. You're right, neither is a critical
problem. But what was that other thing-- the horrible one you won't talk
about?

thanatoid

Sep 20, 2009, 4:11:34 AM9/20/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

>> then I
>> /am/ the only person it happened to. And don't ask me what
>> it was, I don't want to think about it any more than I
>> just did. In fact I - with a LOT of work - have pretty
>> much managed to forget about it except once in a while
>> something reminds me...
>
> Very intriguing! You seriously could make a living writing
> mysteries or science fiction, thanatoid. There's some Conan
> Doyle up there, but you've put it well.

Thank you. The idea of writing has been popping into my head all
my life, and many people - although most of them, unlike you,
simply barely able to string together any coherent sentences at
all, and therefore impressed by someone who /sort of/ can - have
suggested I should be one, but what is the point of writing
stuff no one will read? Also, I really have nothing to say, in
spite of managing to post as much as I do.

<SNIP>

>> On-retainer extra special "consultants" often make more
>> than people working at the place full-time.
>
> I'll check into it.

:-)

<SNIP>

> I see Edxor is a Notepad repacement.

And a VERY good one, especially since it's free.

> But I guess some .ini
> file could possibly be responsible for establishing your 30
> second BootMenuDelay.

I thought you got us confused. YOU said it reset to 30 - that's
why I never use sysconfig - it's one of those "make it easy but
crash your machine while doing it" (that's EXACTLY what it did
for me) apps MS is so good at.

Mid-typing the first few words I realized you meant the 30-
second "reappearance" of the startup menu I have lived with
forever. No big deal. I've (sort of) learned to live with worse
things, like my personality.

<SNIP>

> It's OK to quit on this & Natasha. You're right, neither is
> a critical problem. But what was that other thing-- the
> horrible one you won't talk about?

It's a long story and after writing that big paragraph about it,
I have been trying /real hard/ to forget about it again. It was
a REAL nightmare. An app. made my system act like it was virus
possessed - but only after a certain date, and that was after
/years/ of using it. The author denied all culpability. And,
like I said, while I was able to replicate it on different
systems, with several full formats and clean installs, /and/
DISABLE the problem by resetting the computer date, apparently
NO ONE else on Earth had it happen.

I can't remember what gave me the idea of changing the clock,
but had I NOT done it, I probably would not be using a computer
now. It was THAT bad.

In the interest of protecting the guilty /and/ the victim, I
won't name the app - sorry.

PCR

Sep 20, 2009, 8:06:46 PM9/20/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>

> <SNIP>
>
>>> then I
>>> /am/ the only person it happened to. And don't ask me what
>>> it was, I don't want to think about it any more than I
>>> just did. In fact I - with a LOT of work - have pretty
>>> much managed to forget about it except once in a while
>>> something reminds me...
>>
>> Very intriguing! You seriously could make a living writing
>> mysteries or science fiction, thanatoid. There's some Conan
>> Doyle up there, but you've put it well.
>
> Thank you. The idea of writing has been popping into my head all
> my life, and many people - although most of them, unlike you,
> simply barely able to string together any coherent sentences at
> all, and therefore impressed by someone who /sort of/ can - have
> suggested I should be one, but what is the point of writing
> stuff no one will read? Also, I really have nothing to say, in
> spite of managing to post as much as I do.

There's undoubtedly a mystery, sci-fi or horror story in you that
someone will read!

> <SNIP>
>
>>> On-retainer extra special "consultants" often make more
>>> than people working at the place full-time.
>>
>> I'll check into it.
>
> :-)

:-).

> <SNIP>

>> I see Edxor is a Notepad repacement.
>
> And a VERY good one, especially since it's free.

Thanks for the tip. I've always stuck with Notepad to be able to answer
any questions users might have over it. I wanted Registry locations,
interactions with other apps, etc., to be pristine for comparison to
them. But I may be ready for a replacement. No one has complained in a
long time. Maybe they've all gone to something else. I no longer fear so
much a replacement would mess up my own installation.

>> But I guess some .ini
>> file could possibly be responsible for establishing your 30
>> second BootMenuDelay.
>
> I thought you got us confused. YOU said it reset to 30 - that's
> why I never use sysconfig - it's one of those "make it easy but
> crash your machine while doing it" (that's EXACTLY what it did
> for me) apps MS is so good at.
>
> Mid-typing the first few words I realized you meant the 30-
> second "reappearance" of the startup menu I have lived with
> forever. No big deal. I've (sort of) learned to live with worse
> things, like my personality.

Well, right, I suspected MSConfig was resetting the delay to 30 seconds
for you each boot, after you manually change it to 5 seconds. If not
MSConfig, something else must be doing it. An .ini would be powerful
enough. (It can't be you've not unchecked MSDOS.sys from Read-Only;
you'd get a message from Edxor, surely.)

I could test MSConfig for that, myself-- but you don't care anymore,
anyhow. I, personally, wouldn't want it to happen each boot. SO... maybe
your personality IS rotten! :-).

> <SNIP>
>
>> It's OK to quit on this & Natasha. You're right, neither is
>> a critical problem. But what was that other thing-- the
>> horrible one you won't talk about?
>
> It's a long story and after writing that big paragraph about it,
> I have been trying /real hard/ to forget about it again. It was
> a REAL nightmare. An app. made my system act like it was virus
> possessed - but only after a certain date, and that was after
> /years/ of using it. The author denied all culpability. And,
> like I said, while I was able to replicate it on different
> systems, with several full formats and clean installs, /and/
> DISABLE the problem by resetting the computer date, apparently
> NO ONE else on Earth had it happen.
>
> I can't remember what gave me the idea of changing the clock,
> but had I NOT done it, I probably would not be using a computer
> now. It was THAT bad.
>
> In the interest of protecting the guilty /and/ the victim, I
> won't name the app - sorry.

OK. That sounds like a tough one to solve, when a reliable app is
involved-- & you haven't changed its settings or anything to do with it.
Sounds like it was something like the year 2000 issue. Sorry to have
brought up the bad memory & that you had trouble with the author. Glad
you did have that thought about the clock.

thanatoid

Sep 21, 2009, 12:26:47 AM9/21/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

> thanatoid wrote:
>> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>>

>> <SNIP>

> There's undoubtedly a mystery, sci-fi or horror story in

> you that someone will read!

Again, thanks for the encouragements, but I am SO tired of
encouragements... I know I'm a loser and will never do anything.

<SNIP>

>>> I see Edxor is a Notepad repacement.
>>
>> And a VERY good one, especially since it's free.
>
> Thanks for the tip. I've always stuck with Notepad to be
> able to answer any questions users might have over it. I
> wanted Registry locations, interactions with other apps,
> etc., to be pristine for comparison to them. But I may be
> ready for a replacement. No one has complained in a long
> time. Maybe they've all gone to something else. I no longer
> fear so much a replacement would mess up my own
> installation.

Edxor is a no-install IIRC and only stores the last 10 files
worked on in the registry - one key.

But you might like NoteTab Light (also free) more - it has a LOT
more useful features, in fact an UNBELIEVABLE amount of them -
Edxor is really almost programmer-level - half of its options
are beyond my comprehension - I use it mainly because my MAIN
Notepad replacement, Metapad Lite, DOES have a file size limit -
but it is my default since it IGNORES the dreaded
"insert/overwrite" key! So I NEVER lose anything! It's its BEST
feature (has several other unique excellent features too... WHY
doesn't SOMEONE make a Notepad replacement which has all the
features a "regular smart enough not to use MS Notepad but not
smart enough to know QCypher is" user needs? Sigh. I have gone
through SO many, and STILL I have to have three...

Anyway, Edxor handles files of ANY size and is very fast and
small and VERY stable.

<SNIP>

> Well, right, I suspected MSConfig was resetting the delay
> to 30 seconds for you each boot, after you manually change
> it to 5 seconds. If not MSConfig, something else must be
> doing it. An .ini would be powerful enough. (It can't be
> you've not unchecked MSDOS.sys from Read-Only; you'd get a
> message from Edxor, surely.)

Any text editor will tell you that it can't save a read-only
file... I will never touch msconfig again, providing easy (and
dangerous) access to ini files is all it does, with a simple
interface for those who are afraid of sysedit or whatever...

> I could test MSConfig for that, myself-- but you don't care
> anymore, anyhow. I, personally, wouldn't want it to happen
> each boot. SO... maybe your personality IS rotten! :-).

Of course it is. Smells, too.

>> <SNIP>

> OK. That sounds like a tough one to solve, when a reliable
> app is involved-- & you haven't changed its settings or
> anything to do with it. Sounds like it was something like
> the year 2000 issue.

No, it happened a few years into the century.

> Sorry to have brought up the bad
> memory & that you had trouble with the author.

He got VERY defensive. All I said was that I could NOT have been
the ONLY person this ever happened to and that IT HAD to be
something in his program, since it was the /ONLY/ program I
installed after installing 95B (I was still on 95B then) - and a
BUNCH of times to replicate the problem. I was actually
SURPRISED when the same problem occurred - and could be
eliminated by date reset - on the second machine! But there you
are.

But I guess with free programs, no matter how well designed and
well-working, you can't do much if they "misbehave". Actually,
you can't do much with PAID programs either - Windows STILL is
Windows and apparently will be so forever. I wish they would
dump Windows and make Doors or something, the little I know
about Win7 - in spite of general agreement that it "seems batter
than Vista" (last I looked, Win7 is a 20GB DL! The mind
boggles), I KNOW it's going to be the same crap repackaged. But
if it keeps on bringing in the money, why change anything? Just
keep on bloating!

Anyway, no big deal. My life is hell no matter what. The memory
of that event actually makes the recent problems I've had PALE
by comparison.

> Glad you did have that thought about the clock.

No kidding.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 19, 2009, 10:34:37 AM9/19/09
In message <Xns9C88D7BDB...@188.40.43.245>, thanatoid
<wai...@the.exit.invalid> writes:
>"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
><SNIP>
>
>>> I wish it just booted to the desktop without /anything/.
>>
>> You're asking for too little.
>
>I'm getting old... I'm still a jerk, but getting a lot less
>demanding...

(-:

><SNIP>
>
>> I got these in this order when briefly set to show the MS
>> logo...
>>
>> (1) COMPAQ logo screen from BIOS.

[]

>> (2) MS Startup Menu.
>> Mine is set for 10 seconds in MSDOS.sys...

[]

>This I knew, and in spite of getting old, 3 or 5 secs is enough
>for me.

3 for me too.

[]
>> (3) MS logo screen-- Logo.sys in C:\ or the one in IO.sys.

[]

>> (4) The Windows desktop & its wallpaper.
>> R-Clk Desktop, Properties.
>

>Sure... but what is the point of mentioning it here?

I think he put it in just for completeness. (I have a tiny - the size of
a desktop icon - one, of a manic grin, that is usually hidden under
other windows; however, I have the rest of the screen set to one of the
patterns, the one that looks like a loose weave.)
[]

>Way too much free time... Now I don't even have a custom color
>scheme - I'm on plum now IIRC... I went to a lot of trouble to

>set up an all greyshade scheme and I have it saved, but for some

>reason on my "new" "monitor", (LG 17", last new CRT I could find
>around here) it shows up in very faint shades of colors. I MAY
>have had the graphics set to High Color not 32bit, like I do
>now, but for now I don't see much point in checking if the
>greyscale scheme look OK now or not... Do I sound a little
>jaded?

[]
(Green?)

Yes, one of the early examples of MS centralising everything. I think,
this having originated that long ago, it actually used one of the .ini
files rather than the dreaded registry, but still, I was cross when I
found that when you "save" a colour scheme, it doesn't save as a file
you can then take to another computer - so I've stopped doing such
things too. (I haven't even customised this XP machine away from the
default screensaver/wallpaper/start menu ...) I suppose one _could_
extract the lines relating to one's preferred colour scheme from
whichever .ini file it is, but life's too short ...
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"God give me work \ Till my life shall end \ And life \ Till my work is done."
-
gravestone of Winifred Holtby, Yorkshire novelist

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 19, 2009, 10:25:01 AM9/19/09
In message <OTlzQk0M...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Don Phillipson
<e9...@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> writes:
[]
>The standard boot screen picture filename is LOGOS.SYS.

(LOGO.SYS, actually - LOGOW.SYS and LOGOS.SYS are the shutdown ones, one
of which - "it is now safe to turn off your computer" - you now only see
for a split-second, if at all, with an ATX power supply.)

>It is in fact a BMP picture file, but squeezed narrow (320 x 400
>pixels) and unsqueezed when displayed by the boot process. You can
>in fact create any picture file you like for this function, so long as it
>has the same pixel dimensions, or edit (a copy of) LOGOS.SYS
>in a picture editor.

There's more to it than that, though: that will certainly work, but will
give you a static image. The format actually uses a technique called
"palette switching" to give animation, which in the MS file just gives
you the sliding bar below the clouds (am I right in thinking this goes
in different directions for some things, is it 95 and 98 or 98 and
98SE?), but which some people have made quite artistic creations with. I
have a collection of them somewhere, including some Christmas ones.
There are tools - I thought one was called anilogo, but all that seems
to throw up now is details of a worm of that name. Anyway,
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/A.Jaw.Venema/animated.html has some example
files (such as a clock face), and some links to some tools.

Ah, happy days ...

thanatoid

Sep 21, 2009, 8:33:35 PM9/21/09
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote in

<SNIP>

> There are tools - I thought
> one was called anilogo, but all that seems to throw up now
> is details of a worm of that name.

I have that one and a few others if anyone wants them...

thanatoid

Sep 21, 2009, 8:36:33 PM9/21/09
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote in

<SNIP>

> dreaded registry, but still, I was cross when I found that
> when you "save" a colour scheme, it doesn't save as a file
> you can then take to another computer - so I've stopped
> doing such things too. (I haven't even customised this XP
> machine away from the default screensaver/wallpaper/start
> menu ...) I suppose one _could_ extract the lines relating
> to one's preferred colour scheme from whichever .ini file
> it is, but life's too short ...

Get these 2... the first one is what you want...

DisplaySet
EndItAll

http://www.filefactory.com/file/age48de/n/2freeutils_zip

PCR

Sep 22, 2009, 2:21:14 AM9/22/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>>> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>>>

>>> <SNIP>
>
>> There's undoubtedly a mystery, sci-fi or horror story in
>> you that someone will read!
>
> Again, thanks for the encouragements, but I am SO tired of
> encouragements... I know I'm a loser and will never do anything.

That's a sad thought, but it sounds like you've already heard better
encouragements than I can provide. What was the best one & why did it
fail?

You were always a good one for good app recommendations, thanatoid. I'll
look into those. Thanks.

> <SNIP>
>
>> Well, right, I suspected MSConfig was resetting the delay
>> to 30 seconds for you each boot, after you manually change
>> it to 5 seconds. If not MSConfig, something else must be
>> doing it. An .ini would be powerful enough. (It can't be
>> you've not unchecked MSDOS.sys from Read-Only; you'd get a
>> message from Edxor, surely.)
>
> Any text editor will tell you that it can't save a read-only
> file... I will never touch msconfig again, providing easy (and
> dangerous) access to ini files is all it does, with a simple
> interface for those who are afraid of sysedit or whatever...

You never said, but I presume your MSConfig is not set to turn on the MS
Startup Menu. Therefore, something else is responsible for that
BootMenuDelay=30 problem. It's easy enough to hit ENTER to prevent the
wait. But I don't like the thought that your MSDOS.sys might be getting
edited every boot. Does it get a new date every boot? If not, I guess
you're fine.

>> I could test MSConfig for that, myself-- but you don't care
>> anymore, anyhow. I, personally, wouldn't want it to happen
>> each boot. SO... maybe your personality IS rotten! :-).
>
> Of course it is. Smells, too.

Are you a cigar smoker or garlic eater? Those could do it too.

>>> <SNIP>
>
>> OK. That sounds like a tough one to solve, when a reliable
>> app is involved-- & you haven't changed its settings or
>> anything to do with it. Sounds like it was something like
>> the year 2000 issue.
>
> No, it happened a few years into the century.

It involved a date, but I guess not in the same way.

>> Sorry to have brought up the bad
>> memory & that you had trouble with the author.
>
> He got VERY defensive. All I said was that I could NOT have been
> the ONLY person this ever happened to and that IT HAD to be
> something in his program, since it was the /ONLY/ program I
> installed after installing 95B (I was still on 95B then) - and a
> BUNCH of times to replicate the problem. I was actually
> SURPRISED when the same problem occurred - and could be
> eliminated by date reset - on the second machine! But there you
> are.
>
> But I guess with free programs, no matter how well designed and
> well-working, you can't do much if they "misbehave". Actually,
> you can't do much with PAID programs either - Windows STILL is
> Windows and apparently will be so forever. I wish they would
> dump Windows and make Doors or something, the little I know
> about Win7 - in spite of general agreement that it "seems batter
> than Vista" (last I looked, Win7 is a 20GB DL! The mind
> boggles), I KNOW it's going to be the same crap repackaged. But
> if it keeps on bringing in the money, why change anything? Just
> keep on bloating!
>
> Anyway, no big deal. My life is hell no matter what. The memory
> of that event actually makes the recent problems I've had PALE
> by comparison.

So there's a silverish lining. I guess the author's pride was involved,
& he didn't want to believe/admit it. Did the app disappear from the NET
afterwards or undergo a rewrite?

>> Glad you did have that thought about the clock.
>
> No kidding.

Uh-huh. Very good.

thanatoid

Sep 22, 2009, 2:23:09 PM9/22/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

>>> There's undoubtedly a mystery, sci-fi or horror story in
>>> you that someone will read!
>>
>> Again, thanks for the encouragements, but I am SO tired of
>> encouragements... I know I'm a loser and will never do
>> anything.
>
> That's a sad thought, but it sounds like you've already
> heard better encouragements than I can provide. What was
> the best one & why did it fail?

When you are a person who should have never been born, there IS
no best encouragement. One of the may shrinks I've seen /should/
have said "look, man, you're screwed. Snuff it now and save
yourself decades of horror and misery". But not one of them did.
They like to make money like everyone else. And they DO, even
though statistics show that more people who do NOT see shrinks
get better than those who DO see shrinks... Etc...

> You were always a good one for good app recommendations,
> thanatoid. I'll look into those. Thanks.

My pleasure. I like recommending good free programs, there is SO
much crap out there.

>> <SNIP>

>>> Well, right, I suspected MSConfig was resetting the delay
>>> to 30 seconds for you each boot, after you manually
>>> change it to 5 seconds. If not MSConfig, something else
>>> must be doing it. An .ini would be powerful enough. (It
>>> can't be you've not unchecked MSDOS.sys from Read-Only;
>>> you'd get a message from Edxor, surely.)
>>
>> Any text editor will tell you that it can't save a
>> read-only file... I will never touch msconfig again,
>> providing easy (and dangerous) access to ini files is all
>> it does, with a simple interface for those who are afraid
>> of sysedit or whatever...
>
> You never said, but I presume your MSConfig is not set to
> turn on the MS Startup Menu.

It is, because that's set in MSDOS.SYS. Look at what I said
earlier msconfig is. Just a relatively simple - but quite
dangerous - way to modify ini files.

Someone who didn't realize it added a MaxPhysPage= setting which
conflicted with vcache settings would have had to make a trip to
the nearest "computer guy" and paid whatever.

Or maybe gotten an answer here - IF s/he had access to another
computer to ask.

<SNIP>

But I don't like
> the thought that your MSDOS.sys might be getting edited
> every boot. Does it get a new date every boot?

Unless /something/ is wrong, why should it?

>>> SO... maybe your personality IS rotten!
>>> :-).
>>
>> Of course it is. Smells, too.
>
> Are you a cigar smoker or garlic eater? Those could do it
> too.

No, I just don't like to bathe very often. My record is about
two weeks. I used to bathe every day when I was younger, but now
there is really no point. My cat doesn't care - HE never bathes
and he's just fine!

And I /do/ like garlic and onions, but none of it matters since
I live a totally solitary life.

<SNIP>

>> Anyway, no big deal. My life is hell no matter what. The
>> memory of that event actually makes the recent problems
>> I've had PALE by comparison.
>
> So there's a silverish lining. I guess the author's pride
> was involved, & he didn't want to believe/admit it. Did the
> app disappear from the NET afterwards or undergo a rewrite?

Nope, still there, newer versions, etc.

Like I said, apparently I am the ONLY one on Earth this
particular curse affected.

PCR

Sep 22, 2009, 7:52:51 PM9/22/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>

>>> Again, thanks for the encouragements, but I am SO tired of
>>> encouragements... I know I'm a loser and will never do
>>> anything.
>>
>> That's a sad thought, but it sounds like you've already
>> heard better encouragements than I can provide. What was
>> the best one & why did it fail?
>
> When you are a person who should have never been born, there IS
> no best encouragement. One of the may shrinks I've seen /should/
> have said "look, man, you're screwed. Snuff it now and save
> yourself decades of horror and misery". But not one of them did.
> They like to make money like everyone else. And they DO, even
> though statistics show that more people who do NOT see shrinks
> get better than those who DO see shrinks... Etc...

It sounds even more now that I have no prayer to help you in this
matter -- not that I want you (if you haven't already) to quit!

>> You were always a good one for good app recommendations,
>> thanatoid. I'll look into those. Thanks.
>
> My pleasure. I like recommending good free programs, there is SO
> much crap out there.

You're one of the best. Absolutely.

>>> <SNIP>

>>> Any text editor will tell you that it can't save a
>>> read-only file... I will never touch msconfig again,
>>> providing easy (and dangerous) access to ini files is all
>>> it does, with a simple interface for those who are afraid
>>> of sysedit or whatever...
>>
>> You never said, but I presume your MSConfig is not set to
>> turn on the MS Startup Menu.
>
> It is, because that's set in MSDOS.SYS. Look at what I said
> earlier msconfig is. Just a relatively simple - but quite
> dangerous - way to modify ini files.

Well, I've said all I could about that -- twice. It's unchecked for me
in MSConfig, yet I get my 10 seconds. On the chance (though doubtful)
that MSConfig enforces its 30 second delay... uncheck that, reboot, set
your 10 seconds manually. It's only a slim chance, though. (Damn, I
should test it.)

> Someone who didn't realize it added a MaxPhysPage= setting which
> conflicted with vcache settings would have had to make a trip to
> the nearest "computer guy" and paid whatever.

Are you referring to other things MSConfig can do? So... don't do them!

> Or maybe gotten an answer here - IF s/he had access to another
> computer to ask.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> But I don't like
>> the thought that your MSDOS.sys might be getting edited
>> every boot. Does it get a new date every boot?
>
> Unless /something/ is wrong, why should it?

You said, when you change BootMenuDelay to 5, it gets auto-reset back to
30. Is whatever does that doing it each boot -- whether or not you first
change it to 5? If so, MSDOS.sys's date will be changing every day. And
I wouldn't want that to be happening to such an important file.

>>> Of course it is. Smells, too.
>>
>> Are you a cigar smoker or garlic eater? Those could do it
>> too.
>
> No, I just don't like to bathe very often. My record is about
> two weeks. I used to bathe every day when I was younger, but now
> there is really no point. My cat doesn't care - HE never bathes
> and he's just fine!
>
> And I /do/ like garlic and onions, but none of it matters since
> I live a totally solitary life.

Two Winter weeks or Summer weeks?

> <SNIP>
>
>>> Anyway, no big deal. My life is hell no matter what. The
>>> memory of that event actually makes the recent problems
>>> I've had PALE by comparison.
>>
>> So there's a silverish lining. I guess the author's pride
>> was involved, & he didn't want to believe/admit it. Did the
>> app disappear from the NET afterwards or undergo a rewrite?
>
> Nope, still there, newer versions, etc.
>
> Like I said, apparently I am the ONLY one on Earth this
> particular curse affected.

I guess, if there's a forum for the product, you would know. Otherwise,
you'd be going by the author's word, which may not be trustworthy. Then,
a very quick update after your complaint would be suspicious.

thanatoid

Sep 22, 2009, 10:52:36 PM9/22/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

>>> You were always a good one for good app recommendations,
>>> thanatoid. I'll look into those. Thanks.
>>
>> My pleasure. I like recommending good free programs, there
>> is SO much crap out there.
>
> You're one of the best. Absolutely.

C'mon, you're making me blush.

<SNIP>

> Well, I've said all I could about that -- twice. It's
> unchecked for me in MSConfig, yet I get my 10 seconds. On
> the chance (though doubtful) that MSConfig enforces its 30
> second delay... uncheck that, reboot, set your 10 seconds
> manually. It's only a slim chance, though.

From what I recall, system.ini overrides msconfig if you run it
last. msconfig is just a shell if you like.

> (Damn, I should test it.)

It gets SO tedious, doesn't it?

>> Someone who didn't realize it added a MaxPhysPage= setting
>> which conflicted with vcache settings would have had to
>> make a trip to the nearest "computer guy" and paid
>> whatever.
>
> Are you referring to other things MSConfig can do? So...
> don't do them!

Better yet, NEVER type msconfig in Run and do things in sysedit
and regedit!

>> Or maybe gotten an answer here - IF s/he had access to
>> another computer to ask.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> But I don't like
>>> the thought that your MSDOS.sys might be getting edited
>>> every boot. Does it get a new date every boot?
>>
>> Unless /something/ is wrong, why should it?
>
> You said, when you change BootMenuDelay to 5, it gets
> auto-reset back to 30.

I thought YOU said that! (We should obviously drop this subject!
;-)

> Is whatever does that doing it each
> boot -- whether or not you first change it to 5? If so,
> MSDOS.sys's date will be changing every day. And I wouldn't
> want that to be happening to such an important file.

Considering what Windows /could/ be doing to all the inis and
regs, changing a file date is the least of our worries...

I have a copy of the whole C:\ root dir. on another partition in
any case - so should everyone.

<SNIP>

> Two Winter weeks or Summer weeks?

Summerish. But not very hot or humid. I did NOT reek, BION. I DO
wash when I am on the verge of starting to smell. Since I live a
very sedentary life, it is not as disgusting as it sounds.

<SNIP>

> I guess, if there's a forum for the product, you would
> know. Otherwise, you'd be going by the author's word, which
> may not be trustworthy. Then, a very quick update after
> your complaint would be suspicious.

Well, if NO ONE ELSE had the problem, why update? And I fully
believe that I /could/ have been the only one! I /am/ cursed,
you know. That was just ONE example - computer-wise, the worst,
admittedly - of thanatoid's sufferings!

You should hear what some "girlfriends" (they're /supposed/ to
love and support you, right?) have done to me... Another reason
why I sit in front of the computer all the time instead of
living a social life.

[And NO, I DID shower daily then - and would again!]

PCR

Sep 23, 2009, 9:57:47 PM9/23/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>

>>> My pleasure. I like recommending good free programs, there
>>> is SO much crap out there.
>>
>> You're one of the best. Absolutely.
>
> C'mon, you're making me blush.

Some day I might even install that OffByOne -- you're so good with your
recommendations!

> <SNIP>
>
>> Well, I've said all I could about that -- twice. It's
>> unchecked for me in MSConfig, yet I get my 10 seconds. On
>> the chance (though doubtful) that MSConfig enforces its 30
>> second delay... uncheck that, reboot, set your 10 seconds
>> manually. It's only a slim chance, though.
>
> From what I recall, system.ini overrides msconfig if you run it
> last. msconfig is just a shell if you like.

Yea. That's what I would normally say. I offered the suggestion with
slim hope & as a starting point. But I had to keep repeating it due to
your stolid resistance & dread of MSConfig!

>> (Damn, I should test it.)
>
> It gets SO tedious, doesn't it?

Maybe. Sometimes.

>>> Someone who didn't realize it added a MaxPhysPage= setting
>>> which conflicted with vcache settings would have had to
>>> make a trip to the nearest "computer guy" and paid
>>> whatever.
>>
>> Are you referring to other things MSConfig can do? So...
>> don't do them!
>
> Better yet, NEVER type msconfig in Run and do things in sysedit
> and regedit!

It's a convenient interface for a variety of settings. But generally the
Advanced tab should be avoided maybe, right.

>>> Or maybe gotten an answer here - IF s/he had access to
>>> another computer to ask.
>>>
>>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> But I don't like
>>>
>>> Unless /something/ is wrong, why should it?
>>
>> You said, when you change BootMenuDelay to 5, it gets
>> auto-reset back to 30.
>
> I thought YOU said that! (We should obviously drop this subject!
> ;-)

Can this be a misreading (9/16/09 10:12 PM)...?...

"thanatoid" <wai...@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
..........Quote...................
It's set for 3 or 5 secs, but the damn thing returns for 30
seconds every time I boot Windows...

Sigh...
......EOQ.....................

But obviously the subject comes to an inglorious end. I guess it is
possible you were speaking of something else. But you could have
realized I was fixing a non-existent problem sooner than now!

>> Is whatever does that doing it each
>> boot -- whether or not you first change it to 5? If so,
>> MSDOS.sys's date will be changing every day. And I wouldn't
>> want that to be happening to such an important file.
>
> Considering what Windows /could/ be doing to all the inis and
> regs, changing a file date is the least of our worries...
>
> I have a copy of the whole C:\ root dir. on another partition in
> any case - so should everyone.

That is very good. Yea, I've got that (& should update it soon).

> <SNIP>
>
>> Two Winter weeks or Summer weeks?
>
> Summerish. But not very hot or humid. I did NOT reek, BION. I DO
> wash when I am on the verge of starting to smell. Since I live a
> very sedentary life, it is not as disgusting as it sounds.

That's fairly impressive, then, to go two weeks, if it was summerish.
But I still have a reputation to uphold & cannot reveal my own summer
number! I guess you know it's the first whiff in the morning that's the
most revealing. Don't wait too long after that to make up your mind!

> <SNIP>
>
>> I guess, if there's a forum for the product, you would
>> know. Otherwise, you'd be going by the author's word, which
>> may not be trustworthy. Then, a very quick update after
>> your complaint would be suspicious.
>
> Well, if NO ONE ELSE had the problem, why update? And I fully
> believe that I /could/ have been the only one! I /am/ cursed,
> you know. That was just ONE example - computer-wise, the worst,
> admittedly - of thanatoid's sufferings!

I suggested the author wasn't revealing how many complaints he got. In
terms of damage, you suffered nearly the equivalent of my hard drive
crash of '01, sounds like. That's pretty bad.

> You should hear what some "girlfriends" (they're /supposed/ to
> love and support you, right?) have done to me... Another reason
> why I sit in front of the computer all the time instead of
> living a social life.
>
> [And NO, I DID shower daily then - and would again!]

Well, you were & still claim to be a perfect gentleman, then, if that's
true. I think even Pebble must agree. It can be presumed none of them
sprayed air freshener at you. So, fine, what was it that they did do?

thanatoid

Sep 24, 2009, 12:18:21 AM9/24/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> Some day I might even install that OffByOne -- you're so
> good with your recommendations!

It's a no install - unzip into a directory and you're in
internet heaven (if there IS such a thing).

<SNIP>

> But obviously the subject comes to an inglorious end. I
> guess it is possible you were speaking of something else.
> But you could have realized I was fixing a non-existent
> problem sooner than now!

I'm old. Give me a break.

<SNIP>

>> Summerish. But not very hot or humid. I did NOT reek,
>> BION. I DO wash when I am on the verge of starting to
>> smell. Since I live a very sedentary life, it is not as
>> disgusting as it sounds.
>
> That's fairly impressive, then, to go two weeks, if it was
> summerish. But I still have a reputation to uphold & cannot
> reveal my own summer number! I guess you know it's the
> first whiff in the morning that's the most revealing. Don't
> wait too long after that to make up your mind!

I know it's weird, but in spite if having relaxed cleanliness
routines, I rarely smell, and I don't even have bad breath!

>> <SNIP>

> I suggested the author wasn't revealing how many complaints
> he got. In terms of damage, you suffered nearly the
> equivalent of my hard drive crash of '01, sounds like.
> That's pretty bad.

It was just inexplicable. I /knew/ I didn't have any viruses. So
I started blaming the hardware... I bought a new keyboard, a new
MB and processor, installed and uninstalled and formatted more
times than I care to think of, all to no avail until it occurred
to me to change the date... It almost put me over the edge. I
HATE mysteries.

OK, that topic /is/ finished.

<SNIP>

> Well, you were & still claim to be a perfect gentleman,

I NEVER claimed to be a gentleman let alone perfect. I am an
overweight stinky slob.
And I can be very rude - intentionally or not.

> then, if that's true. I think even Pebble must agree. It
> can be presumed none of them sprayed air freshener at you.
> So, fine, what was it that they did do?

Oh, we /really/ don't want to talk about that.
Don't you have you own share of "the fair sex" horror stories?

PCR

Sep 25, 2009, 7:04:30 PM9/25/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Some day I might even install that OffByOne -- you're so
>> good with your recommendations!
>
> It's a no install - unzip into a directory and you're in
> internet heaven (if there IS such a thing).

Those are the best.

> <SNIP>
>
>> But obviously the subject comes to an inglorious end. I
>> guess it is possible you were speaking of something else.
>> But you could have realized I was fixing a non-existent
>> problem sooner than now!
>
> I'm old. Give me a break.

Which bone?

> <SNIP>
>
>>> Summerish. But not very hot or humid. I did NOT reek,
>>> BION. I DO wash when I am on the verge of starting to
>>> smell. Since I live a very sedentary life, it is not as
>>> disgusting as it sounds.
>>
>> That's fairly impressive, then, to go two weeks, if it was
>> summerish. But I still have a reputation to uphold & cannot
>> reveal my own summer number! I guess you know it's the
>> first whiff in the morning that's the most revealing. Don't
>> wait too long after that to make up your mind!
>
> I know it's weird, but in spite if having relaxed cleanliness
> routines, I rarely smell, and I don't even have bad breath!

All right. I don't see your posts curl overly much at the edges, anyhow.

>>> <SNIP>
>
>> I suggested the author wasn't revealing how many complaints
>> he got. In terms of damage, you suffered nearly the
>> equivalent of my hard drive crash of '01, sounds like.
>> That's pretty bad.
>
> It was just inexplicable. I /knew/ I didn't have any viruses. So
> I started blaming the hardware... I bought a new keyboard, a new
> MB and processor, installed and uninstalled and formatted more
> times than I care to think of, all to no avail until it occurred
> to me to change the date... It almost put me over the edge. I
> HATE mysteries.
>
> OK, that topic /is/ finished.

The actual silver lining is you picked up good experience in a number of
computing issues that could always come up in earnest next time. Also,
you've learned to keep a full C:\ backup.

> <SNIP>
>
>> Well, you were & still claim to be a perfect gentleman,
>
> I NEVER claimed to be a gentleman let alone perfect. I am an
> overweight stinky slob.
> And I can be very rude - intentionally or not.

I think it's gentlemanly to wash twice as much -- as I calculate you
do -- in the presence of -- especially -- women -- or at least to
promise as much -- as you did. And I believe you! Also, I'm confident
you'd refrain from eating those onions the night before!

>> then, if that's true. I think even Pebble must agree. It
>> can be presumed none of them sprayed air freshener at you.
>> So, fine, what was it that they did do?
>
> Oh, we /really/ don't want to talk about that.
> Don't you have you own share of "the fair sex" horror stories?

Though you boot to Natasha & I have three partitions named after women,
I'm not sure this really constitutes a fit/proper topic for this NG --
especially as we've run out of computer problems in this thread -- IF we
ever did have one. So, your first instinct is correct: We don't really
want to talk about that. And I'm not admitting I have anything to talk
about! You're getting to be too nosey!

thanatoid

Sep 26, 2009, 3:55:19 PM9/26/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> The actual silver lining is you picked up good experience
> in a number of computing issues that could always come up
> in earnest next time.

Every problem is new and inexplicable, or it's not a problem.

> Also, you've learned to keep a full
> C:\ backup.

I always knew that.

<SNIP>

>> I NEVER claimed to be a gentleman let alone perfect. I am
>> an overweight stinky slob.
>> And I can be very rude - intentionally or not.
>
> I think it's gentlemanly to wash twice as much -- as I
> calculate you do -- in the presence of -- especially --
> women -- or at least to promise as much -- as you did.

I used to wash when there was a point to it. I know now that
everything is pointless.

<SNIP>

>> Don't you have you own share of "the fair sex" horror
>> stories?
>
> Though you boot to Natasha & I have three partitions named

> after women I'm not sure this really constitutes a

> fit/proper topic for this NG -- especially as we've run out
> of computer problems in this thread -- IF we ever did have
> one. So, your first instinct is correct: We don't really
> want to talk about that. And I'm not admitting I have
> anything to talk about! You're getting to be too nosey!

*I* am getting too nosy?!

PCR

Sep 26, 2009, 9:54:15 PM9/26/09

> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > The actual silver lining is you picked up good experience
> > in a number of computing issues that could always come up
> > in earnest next time.
>
> Every problem is new and inexplicable, or it's not a problem.

It's a problem to walk uphill with a broken toe or smoke in one's lungs
each time.

> > Also, you've learned to keep a full
> > C:\ backup.
>
> I always knew that.

I didn't realize it was possible to know that by genetic mutation at
birth!

> <SNIP>
>
> >> I NEVER claimed to be a gentleman let alone perfect. I am
> >> an overweight stinky slob.
> >> And I can be very rude - intentionally or not.
> >
> > I think it's gentlemanly to wash twice as much -- as I
> > calculate you do -- in the presence of -- especially --
> > women -- or at least to promise as much -- as you did.
>
> I used to wash when there was a point to it. I know now that
> everything is pointless.

It's safer than ever for you to wash now, if your points have gone!

> <SNIP>
>
> >> Don't you have you own share of "the fair sex" horror
> >> stories?
> >
> > Though you boot to Natasha & I have three partitions named
> > after women I'm not sure this really constitutes a
> > fit/proper topic for this NG -- especially as we've run out
> > of computer problems in this thread -- IF we ever did have
> > one. So, your first instinct is correct: We don't really
> > want to talk about that. And I'm not admitting I have
> > anything to talk about! You're getting to be too nosey!
>
> *I* am getting too nosy?!

I really don't have a tale of love to tell but still have hopes &
dreams. Would hearing your story now be a consolation on the day I might
lost all hope -- or would it darken my dreams & hasten that day?

> --
> Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
> are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

thanatoid

Sep 27, 2009, 6:00:00 PM9/27/09
"PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> I really don't have a tale of love to tell but still have
> hopes & dreams.

So did I, once.

> Would hearing your story now be a
> consolation on the day I might lost all hope -- or would it
> darken my dreams & hasten that day?

Moot question since no one else will "hear" it. Enough have and
I am as tired of telling it as of living the hell it wreaked.

PCR

Sep 27, 2009, 9:49:03 PM9/27/09
thanatoid wrote:
> "PCR" <pcr...@netzero.net> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I really don't have a tale of love to tell but still have
>> hopes & dreams.
>
> So did I, once.

Uh-huh.

>> Would hearing your story now be a
>> consolation on the day I might lost all hope -- or would it

>> darken my dreams & hasten that day?
>
> Moot question since no one else will "hear" it. Enough have and
> I am as tired of telling it as of living the hell it wreaked.

Yikes! All right. Sounds like too big risk to hear it, anyhow, with my
own hopes beginning to creak & slow, as they are.