\\my_ip does not work, \\my_name does

dave64

Oct 27, 2009, 11:42:49 AM10/27/09
Hopefully the subject says it all. The problem computer is a Windows
98 SE machine. If I do a Start->Run and type in \\computer_name
(name of this cosputer) I get what I would expect, namely all shares
show up in a window. However, if I use \\my_ip_address (ip address
of this computer I get an error message that says \\my_ip_address is
not accessible.

This copmuter can see others on the network, and it can be seen by
others. Other computers are XP. The XP computers cannot see any
share on this computer. If when they find the computer name and
click on it, the get computername is not acessible. You may not have
permissions, etc.

Before anyone suggest this, file and print sharing is installed on
this Windows 98 Computer.

Only other thingnow know is that when I tried to look for this machine
and its shares from a Linux box running Samba I also did not have any
success.

I'm pretty sure the proble is with the Win 98 machine, but I am not
sure what the failure of \\my_ip_address on it tells me. Any ideas?

apn94239

Oct 27, 2009, 8:52:57 PM10/27/09
I have much the same configuration. You are 'supposed' to be able to
access shares via TCP but I haven't gotten
it to work. I resorted to adding Netbeui to my XP and W2k boxes to
make it work.

James Egan

Nov 2, 2009, 11:11:40 AM11/2/09

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:42:49 -0700 (PDT), dave64 <da...@dfel.com>
wrote:

>I'm pretty sure the proble is with the Win 98 machine, but I am not
>sure what the failure of \\my_ip_address on it tells me. Any ideas?

It tells you your tcp/ip stack is broken. Try removing tcp/ip and
re-installing it from the installation cd if you have one.

Jim.