Network 98se to win2000

mc

Jan 14, 2010, 1:23:36 PM1/14/10

When I'm trying to log my win98 into a win2000 computer a logon window pops
up that has one line that says
Resource \\Name\lPC andn then another line for the password.
My other computers only need to type the administrator name to log into the
win2000 computer (No password needed).
How do I change the 'Resource' line(grayed out) on the win98 computer or how
do I get this pop up window to accept a password?
mc

MEB

Jan 14, 2010, 2:15:00 PM1/14/10

So you got the other issues corrected then?
[reference: this group's query - WinFE]
What did you do to correct those issues?

You might want to check this and run through the various settings to
ensure you have configured the network correctly:

Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer Workgroup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q258717/

There are some work-arounds if you have other issues, though you should
attempt to use the MS suggested methods FIRST.

You may also want to look through some of these as they discuss not
only dsclient, but also various networking issues.:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=dsclient+for+Windows+98&x=0&y=0&catalog=LCID%3D1033&mode=r
or use the site for other specifics as might be involved.

Readers should note this network apparently consists of Win2K, XP, and
*Win98FE* via a network router connection.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm

mc

Jan 14, 2010, 3:18:37 PM1/14/10

"MEB" <MEB-no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 01/14/2010 01:23 PM, mc wrote:
>> When I'm trying to log my win98 into a win2000 computer a logon window
>> pops
>> up that has one line that says
>> Resource \\Name\lPC andn then another line for the password.
>> My other computers only need to type the administrator name to log into
>> the
>> win2000 computer (No password needed).
>> How do I change the 'Resource' line(grayed out) on the win98 computer or
>> how
>> do I get this pop up window to accept a password?
>> mc
>>

> So you got the other issues corrected then?
> [reference: this group's query - WinFE]
> What did you do to correct those issues?
I,m still working on the winFE problem with the out of range ip addresses. I
may just upgrade to SE...

MEB

Jan 14, 2010, 4:24:01 PM1/14/10
On 01/14/2010 03:18 PM, mc wrote:
> "MEB" <MEB-no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 01/14/2010 01:23 PM, mc wrote:
>>> When I'm trying to log my win98 into a win2000 computer a logon window
>>> pops
>>> up that has one line that says
>>> Resource \\Name\lPC andn then another line for the password.
>>> My other computers only need to type the administrator name to log into
>>> the
>>> win2000 computer (No password needed).
>>> How do I change the 'Resource' line(grayed out) on the win98 computer or
>>> how
>>> do I get this pop up window to accept a password?
>>> mc
>>>

>> So you got the other issues corrected then?
>> [reference: this group's query - WinFE]
>> What did you do to correct those issues?
> I,m still working on the winFE problem with the out of range ip addresses. I
> may just upgrade to SE...
>

>> --
>> MEB

Before you do that, use Windows Update to update the WinFE computer
which you previously indicated was at base "re-installed" level [you
need at least IE5.1 installed to access the site, IE5.5 can reduce the
necessary downloads].
You can find IE5.5 (or others) on evolt:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/win32

The links I provided previously in the other discussion and in this
discussion should help, AFTER updating, to resolve your issues.

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 4:58:14 PM1/14/10
In Network
Primary Network Logon:
Client for Microsoft Networks <<<<<< Have to Log In
Windows Logon <Do not Have to Log In
If Windows Logon is not in Primary Network Logon you need to add it by

Chick Add <<< Chick Client <<< Chick Add <<< Manufacturers Chick Microsoft
<<<< Network Clients: Chick Windows Logon <<< chick OK

For Workgroup Have to be the same Name << on win98 and 2000
in the Identification
you see your
Computer name: ?
Workgroup

\\?\lPC

the \ICP is a Folder all on need is \\? <<< your Computer name go here to
open on the network
But in Network Configuration << you need to chick File and Print Sharing
...... <<< Check mark them <<< chick ok

After your Computer you need to
And you need to Side up Folder to Share By Right Hand chick the Folder <<<
Chick on Properties << Sharing

"mc" <wcwal...@verizon.net> wrote in message

mc

Jan 14, 2010, 5:01:15 PM1/14/10

"MEB" <MEB-no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ok, I'll try the update first.....
mc

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 5:59:57 PM1/14/10
Windows Update need at least IE6 to RUN Windows Update!

MEB

Jan 14, 2010, 6:12:43 PM1/14/10
On 01/14/2010 05:59 PM, Hot-text wrote:
> Windows Update need at least IE6 to RUN Windows Update!

No it doesn't [or didn't]. It is *recommended* to use IE6 [which was
not recommended for installation in Win98FE], as of my last test cycle
[about three months now] it still can be accessed with IE5.1 and
functions, though the FIRST update is/was to IE5.5 and its updates.

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 6:09:36 PM1/14/10
If you do not have
http://www.hot-text.com/pub/web/ie6setup.exe
Need it first to be able to run Windows Update!

"mc" <wcwal...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 6:42:49 PM1/14/10

My Win98 say it a Windows 95 too... But it not!

you say that you have IE5.5 but it not go to C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer <<<, Right Hand Click Iexplore.exe
Click on Version it will be 6.00.2800.1106 <<< that is a IE6 SP1
just To see if I right .

"MEB" <MEB-no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

MEB

Jan 14, 2010, 7:00:57 PM1/14/10
On 01/14/2010 06:42 PM, Hot-text wrote:
> My Win98 say it a Windows 95 too... But it not!

Huh, where does it say its Win95?

> you say that you have IE5.5 but it not go to C:\Program Files\Internet
> Explorer <<<, Right Hand Click Iexplore.exe
> Click on Version it will be 6.00.2800.1106 <<< that is a IE6 SP1
> just To see if I right .

Which one? In one installation the version IS IE6 since I used the
Security Updates CD during installation. in another its IE5.1 [manually
updated], in another its IE5.5 updated online... so YOURS may be IE6,
that does not mean it was required, just what you did.

mc

Jan 14, 2010, 7:03:41 PM1/14/10
Thanks MEB, the first web site had the answer..I created a user name in
win98se and then in win 2000 and all is well...
except fo win FE
mc

mc

Jan 14, 2010, 7:09:06 PM1/14/10
Thanks Hot Text,
this problem for winSE was solved by creating the same user name on both
computers in control panel.

Now the other problem for winFE is still ongoing....I have ie6.0 installed,
but Ido not have a firewall or antivirus program that will work on win98FE.
I'm using Kaspersky on the win 2000 and xp ccomputers. Can anyone recommend
some goog software for win98 (before I update)?
mc

MEB

Jan 14, 2010, 7:56:53 PM1/14/10

Download Kerio PFW 2.1.5 and one of the rule sets for it. It should
work on Win98FE and the rule set should help with initial usage, though
you may not need the rule set if you are using the router for Internet
access so your main concern would be the local network and its
settings/restrictions.
You will likely need to use the Win2k or XP to scan for malware on the
Win98FE computer. SE still has a few, but those are diminishing.

You can try these:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=Kerio+PF+2.1.5

SpywareGuard 2.2 and SpywareBlaster
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

SpyBot-Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

I'm not sure but this MAY support FE in an OLDER version [available on
the site]
Spyware Terminator
http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Avast, though the def updates end this year and no updates to the 4.8
engine [5.0 for NT only].

ClamAV via clamwin.

MEB

Jan 14, 2010, 7:59:04 PM1/14/10

Oh, okay, so you now have a new system Win98SE added or was it the
former WinFE that you updated?

If not then try the system updates for Win98FE first to obtain the
various fixes that were offered. Then work on the network issue.

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 8:09:41 PM1/14/10
I say my 98 call himself a 95 not your 98 just my !
it's because I running my 98 as a NT Server that OVER your Head to Know why
are how!

Did you chick IE all we need to Know from you?

"MEB" <MEB-no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

mc

Jan 14, 2010, 8:43:23 PM1/14/10
Thanks for the links MEB,
I'll try out Kerio....

I was warned by Kaspersky after clicking on this link
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
and then getting re-directed to a Majorgeeks web page (beware)
that a dangerous Trojan was noted

mc

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 9:07:53 PM1/14/10

Yes two ways in doing it's One for Log-in at Office and the One for No
Log-in at Home!
so you like to Office I see <<
And You Welcome
Thanks to MEB he more that we Thank some times!

"mc" <wcwal...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 9:13:52 PM1/14/10
All who need to Know to as "Windows 98 Original Edition", "Windows 98 First
Edition", or "Win98FE", was apparently quite buggy!
It good to see MEB Know how to work out it BuG!

"MEB" <MEB-no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hot-text

Jan 14, 2010, 11:17:30 PM1/14/10
On my windows 98 SE I running AVAST

For a computer running Windows� 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 100MB of free hard disk space.
<<< it run on 95 to Me thin I say it run on FE too! >>>

MEB

Jan 15, 2010, 12:31:36 AM1/15/10
On 01/14/2010 08:09 PM, Hot-text wrote:
> I say my 98 call himself a 95 not your 98 just my !
> it's because I running my 98 as a NT Server that OVER your Head to Know
> why are how!

Over my head huh, I see you and I are going to have difficulties.

> Did you chick IE all we need to Know from you?

Having difficulty reading, I advised EXACTLY what I had.

MEB

Jan 15, 2010, 1:22:20 AM1/15/10

The SpywareGuard does cause some AV to report it as malware because it
works as a TSR in the system and may contain code indicators. As for
Major Geeks, at one time the site or maybe some advertising] TRIED to
use a font injection, though that was several years ago unless something
new is going on. They are/were associated with tribalfusion, and I would
imagine hundreds of thousands of users have downloaded files from there.
There are quite a few programmers who ONLY offer their software on that
site since it has so many visitors and a long reputation for clean
software. I can't vouch for them so...

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/majorgeeks.com
We tested this site and didn't find any significant problems.

http://www.UnmaskParasites.com/security-report/?page=majorgeeks.com

Looking at the source for the page shows google links and LOTS of JAVA,
some off-site links and direct pulls, and.. nothing overly suspicious.

Its an old program that worked as protection against .exe, cab, some
other issues, though not updated for years, so you could probably avoid
its installation.

So what was the supposed trojan?

Hot-text

Jan 15, 2010, 1:42:55 AM1/15/10
You Say:::IE5.5: EXACTLY what you have !
Now we know that windows 98 SE out of the box with IE 5.1
and Window Update will not work with it....
SO we have go up say to IE5.5 to use Window Update right or
How hi up would you said that one need to go from IE 5.1 to get Window
Update to work?

"MEB" <MEB-no...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

MEB

Jan 15, 2010, 2:32:27 AM1/15/10
On 01/15/2010 01:42 AM, Hot-text wrote:
> You Say:::IE5.5: EXACTLY what you have !
> Now we know that windows 98 SE out of the box with IE 5.1

No Win98 comes "out of the box" with:

Here's a chart style.

IE Version Shipped With
1.0 Win 95 PLUS pack (not part of Win95 by default)
2.0 Win NT4
3.0 Win 95 OSR2
4.0 Win 98
5.0 Win 98 SE and Win 2000
5.5 Win Millennium Edition (ME)
6.0 Win XP Home/Pro
7.0 VISTA
8.0 Windows 7

IE5.1 was the minimum [not IE5.0 base level which is what you get]
which used to function on WU. To have IE5.1 required you obtain or
already have the updates to bring it to that level in a new install.
WHY?
Likely to force users to install IE6 which was PLASTERED all over the
Internet and offered on almost every CD from suppliers of games and
other [during the Win98 support period AFTER IE6.0 was released]... the
site used to require only IE4 ,then IE5.0, then IE5.1.

I said - I have IE5.1, IE5.5, IE6.0 SP1 [in Win98SE].

> and Window Update will not work with it....
> SO we have go up say to IE5.5 to use Window Update right or
> How hi up would you said that one need to go from IE 5.1 to get
> Window Update to work?

Well, if it turns your crank, you could test it yourself via the evolt
browser link I provided and tell us what version it NOW requires verses
the IE5.1 it required as of a few months ago [though it did require Sun
JAVA installed].

mc

Jan 15, 2010, 8:38:53 AM1/15/10
MEB
I downloaded Kerio but I do not see where you download any rule sets?
From what I see on the web Sunbelt now controls this version of Kerio?
mc

mc

Jan 15, 2010, 11:45:58 AM1/15/10
MEB
You were correct...
I updated win98FE and now the network connectionworks, much thanks..
The Kerio firewall is a handy little program..and small in size..
mc

MEB

Jan 15, 2010, 12:10:41 PM1/15/10

Yeah, Kerio PF2 has a very small impact, about 1.8 running and fully
configured making it one of the smallest in resource usage, with none of
the resource hogging "extras", yet all of the benefits of a rules based
firewall. During "the days of Win98" it was used in conjunction with
DNSKong and a couple other small applications to strip, monitor and
filter TCP/IP and network access.
Glad to hear that the network is working now with the updates to
Win98FE, and thanks for posting back with the verification.

Any further needs or questions, just let us know.

MEB

Jan 15, 2010, 12:48:19 PM1/15/10

Yes, the rule sets are becoming difficult to find; and yes, Sunbelt did
have control of TinyPF and Kerio.
You might try on dslreports for rule sets if they interest you.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

NOTE: the new area for Kerio/Tiny and related questions has been moved to:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security

You would be looking for and at Spunge, Shaolin and BlitzenZeus
rulesets, though again, with local networking behind a router, you may
want to configure your own for your particular needs.

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2/Kerio-Primary-DNS-Server-Rule--ftopict488548.html

While you're searching, I would also suggest looking at how a *HOSTS*
[which I forgot to mention for your layered security protection] file
can also be used to protect you; usable in ANY of your systems.