suggestions for a free FTP server

SlickRCBD

Oct 10, 2010, 6:29:23 AM10/10/10
I swear I used to have an FTP server somewhere for Win98SE, but I
can't find it. Could somebody suggest a simple to install FTP server
that I can download for free? I really don't want to put any money
into this old computer so I don't want shareware solutions. Linux is
not a solution, nor is dual-booting XP or any other OS as I need the
FTP available when running Win98 without having to reboot the
computer.

P.S. I could also use a similar solution for Vista 64 Home Premium.
Virtual PC with XP isn't a solution even though I have that set up as
the XP machine can't host files on the Vista OS.

Hot-Text

Oct 10, 2010, 1:43:05 PM10/10/10
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/
for Win98SE FileZilla_Server_0_9_5.exe 1.6 MB 2005-02-18 55,508
For XP FileZilla_Server-0_9_36.exe 1.7 MB 2010-07-18 125,015

"SlickRCBD" <slickr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

SlickRCBD

Oct 16, 2010, 5:41:46 AM10/16/10
On Oct 10, 12:43 pm, "Hot-Text" <billyrferr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/
> for Win98SE FileZilla_Server_0_9_5.exe 1.6 MB 2005-02-18 55,508
> For XP FileZilla_Server-0_9_36.exe 1.7 MB 2010-07-18 125,015
>
> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I swear I used to have an FTP server somewhere for Win98SE, but I
> > can't find it. Could somebody suggest a simple to install FTP server
> > that I can download for free? I really don't want to put any money
> > into this old computer so I don't want shareware solutions. Linux is
> > not a solution, nor is dual-booting XP or any other OS as I need the
> > FTP available when running Win98 without having to reboot the
> > computer.
>
> > P.S. I could also use a similar solution for Vista 64 Home Premium.
> > Virtual PC with XP isn't a solution even though I have that set up as
> > the XP machine can't host files on the Vista OS.

That's a client, not a server. I want to HOST files on the Win98SE
system and download them with Vista via FTP since I got a far greater
transfer rate connecting to an even older system running Linux and
Proftpd than I do connecting to the WIn98SE file shares.

I said FTP SERVER, not FTP Client. I'm well aware of the differences.

SlickRCBD

Oct 16, 2010, 5:45:19 AM10/16/10
On Oct 10, 12:43 pm, "Hot-Text" <billyrferr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/
> for Win98SE FileZilla_Server_0_9_5.exe 1.6 MB 2005-02-18 55,508
> For XP FileZilla_Server-0_9_36.exe 1.7 MB 2010-07-18 125,015
>
> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I swear I used to have an FTP server somewhere for Win98SE, but I
> > can't find it. Could somebody suggest a simple to install FTP server
> > that I can download for free? I really don't want to put any money
> > into this old computer so I don't want shareware solutions. Linux is
> > not a solution, nor is dual-booting XP or any other OS as I need the
> > FTP available when running Win98 without having to reboot the
> > computer.
>
> > P.S. I could also use a similar solution for Vista 64 Home Premium.
> > Virtual PC with XP isn't a solution even though I have that set up as
> > the XP machine can't host files on the Vista OS.

it also doesn't work on Win9x, only the NT-based platform

98 Guy

Oct 16, 2010, 8:38:12 AM10/16/10
SlickRCBD wrote:

> I swear I used to have an FTP server somewhere for Win98SE
> but I can't find it.

Ask your question on the win-98 forum on MSFN.org.

Someone there will know.

Hot-Text

Oct 17, 2010, 4:38:32 AM10/17/10
I running it on Windows 98 @ ftp://hot-text.ath.cx
so I know it works the FileZilla_Server_0_9_5.exe
see the word Server and I know that you ask for a Server!
ok I see I running 0.5.9 beta
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files_beta/FileZilla%20Server/

0.5.9 beta run good on win98 with no bugs
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files_beta/FileZilla%20Server/0.9.5/SoClick the link and stop crying!"SlickRCBD"