WinFE

mc

Jan 10, 2010, 5:47:52 PM1/10/10
I have successfully got several conputers working on my linksys RV082 router
using xp, win 2000, winSE. I am unable to get the winFE working though. When
I choose obtain IP address automatically the ip # is way out of range
(160.254.235.233 ), while the other computers are in the 192.168.1.103
range. I tried manually putting in an ip address and was able to see the
icon in network, but no communicatio. Any ideas?
mc

98 Guy

Jan 10, 2010, 7:38:48 PM1/10/10
mc wrote:

> I have successfully got several conputers working on my linksys
> RV082 router using xp, win 2000, winSE. I am unable to get the
> winFE working though.

> Any ideas?

Upgrade the win-98 FE system to SE.

Or, don't use DHCP on the FE. Hard-code an appropriate address instead.

mc

Jan 10, 2010, 8:27:45 PM1/10/10
Is it possible to upgrade using a full install disk? I do not have an
upgrade disk.
mc

MEB

Jan 10, 2010, 11:38:04 PM1/10/10

The first question would be:

What is the update status for the Win98FE computer?

There were several updates which address networking issues or otherwise
affect it.

The second would be:

Was this once part of another network?

The third would be:

That happens to be a registered IP
NetHandle: NET-160-254-0-0-1
NetName: BNY1
NetRange: 160.254.0.0 - 160.254.255.255

Do you bank there or is this from some recycle store or elsewhere?

The 160. range is NOT a default or otherwise associated with Class C
home or private networks.
Generally:
192.
169.254/16

RFC1918
10.0.0.0 � 10.255.255.255 single class A 10.0.0.0/8 (255.0.0.0)
172.16.0.0 � 172.31.255.255 class B 172.16.0.0/12 (255.240.0.0)
192.168.0.0 � 192.168.255.255 class C 192.168.0.0/16 (255.255.0.0)

If a host on an IEEE 802 (ethernet) network cannot obtain a network
address via DHCP, an address from 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 is
assigned pseudorandomly.

Fourth would be:

Have you cleared the network settings on the Win98FE completely and
started from scratch?

You may have residual settings under TCP/IP which preclude
re-assignment to your present network. Such as any prior settings for
WINS, DHCP, secondary, or otherwise.
OR something in your HOSTS file or a DNS re-direction [such as in the
registry - lots of 9X hacks use this one].

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm

mc

Jan 11, 2010, 5:10:42 PM1/11/10

>> I have successfully got several conputers working on my linksys RV082
>> router
>> using xp, win 2000, winSE. I am unable to get the winFE working though.
>> When
>> I choose obtain IP address automatically the ip # is way out of range
>> (160.254.235.233 ), while the other computers are in the 192.168.1.103
>> range. I tried manually putting in an ip address and was able to see the
>> icon in network, but no communicatio. Any ideas?
>> mc

Thanks for the response...............MEB

> The first question would be:
>
> What is the update status for the Win98FE computer?

I,m not sure, this is the original disk that came with the packard bell
computer?

> The second would be:
>
> Was this once part of another network?

No, this computer has only been assigned to one workgroup after installing a
new hard drive

> The third would be:
>
> That happens to be a registered IP
> NetHandle: NET-160-254-0-0-1
> NetName: BNY1
> NetRange: 160.254.0.0 - 160.254.255.255
>
> Do you bank there or is this from some recycle store or elsewhere?

No, when I attempt to switch between manual or obtain ip auto, it will come
back with another ip that is different from above?

> Fourth would be:
>
> Have you cleared the network settings on the Win98FE completely and
> started from scratch?

I'll try this and see what happens....

MEB

Jan 11, 2010, 6:54:57 PM1/11/10

On 01/11/2010 05:10 PM, mc wrote:
> [...]

Hmm, okay for now, let's work with some other things first.

>> The second would be:
>>
>> Was this once part of another network?
> No, this computer has only been assigned to one workgroup after installing a
> new hard drive

Okay, that removes potentials of prior activities, unless you used a
backup or image to place it on the drive.
The new disk brings the question of updates status unless the
backup/image was used, however if used, you may have some issues such as
DNS hijack, HOSTS hijack, or some other issue IF it was a prior Internet
used system.

Did this computer or prior image/backup access the Internet without AV,
a firewall [even if behind a router], and have you run anti-malware tools?

>> The third would be:
>>
>> That happens to be a registered IP
>> NetHandle: NET-160-254-0-0-1
>> NetName: BNY1
>> NetRange: 160.254.0.0 - 160.254.255.255
>>
>> Do you bank there or is this from some recycle store or elsewhere?
> No, when I attempt to switch between manual or obtain ip auto, it will come
> back with another ip that is different from above?

Actually, you might want to manually assign the 98FE address to the
router range and sub-net mask, WITH the gateway assigned as the router
address, AND, if applicable, to the name server you presently use or
directly to the router's address. Once you get the issues ironed out you
can revert.

You can find out what the TCP/IP being received are by using the XP
machine:

run > cmd
ipconfig /all

>> Fourth would be:
>>
>> Have you cleared the network settings on the Win98FE completely and
>> started from scratch?
> I'll try this and see what happens....

Make sure to check the HOSTS file and the registry for DNS and other
settings.

Windows TCP/IP Registry Entries
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158474

AND what function(s) are you using the Win2K computer for?

Might want to also check what the NT OSs are doing; as in which is
master or server...

I also have a networking page for general reference and troubleshooting
accessible via the below Windows link.

>> --
>> MEB

mc

Jan 11, 2010, 7:48:31 PM1/11/10
Thanks MEB,

> Did this computer or prior image/backup access the Internet without AV,
> a firewall [even if behind a router], and have you run anti-malware tools?

After reinstalling from the original OP sys disk I have not accessed the
internet yet......

> Actually, you might want to manually assign the 98FE address to the
> router range and sub-net mask, WITH the gateway assigned as the router
> address, AND, if applicable, to the name server you presently use or
> directly to the router's address. Once you get the issues ironed out you
> can revert.

Ok, I'll work on this.......

> You can find out what the TCP/IP being received are by using the XP
> machine:
>
> run > cmd
> ipconfig /all
>

>>> Fourth would be:
>>>
>>> Have you cleared the network settings on the Win98FE completely and
>>> started from scratch?
>> I'll try this and see what happens....
>>

> Make sure to check the HOSTS file and the registry for DNS and other
> settings.
>
> Windows TCP/IP Registry Entries
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158474

> AND what function(s) are you using the Win2K computer for?

The win2k is a standalone workstation, but it wants a password before
allowing the win98SE to log in, another problem I haven't solved yet. I
noticed that for some reason I ended up with 2 adminstrator names in win
2000. I must have installed something twice by mistake.

> Might want to also check what the NT OSs are doing; as in which is
> master or server...

Ok, how do I check this?

> I also have a networking page for general reference and troubleshooting
> accessible via the below Windows link.

Great web site.....lots to learn...
thanks
mc