Error message

Chaz

Jun 13, 2004, 8:05:21 AM6/13/04
My friend's computer keeps turning off after coming up
with various error messages. Sometimes it stays on for
about ten minutes but usually fails at startup, which is
making it hard to check within the system to see what is
wrong.

Messages include:
Fatal exception OE at 0167:BFF9DFFF

Explorer caused general protection fault in module
KRNL386.EXE at 0002:00000ee8

Fatal exception OE occurred at 0028:CO2CB55B in VXD
DOSMGR (05) + 00000593

Can anyone help?

Jeff Richards

Jun 13, 2004, 10:13:32 PM6/13/04
Random error messages in a variety of different applications often suggests
a hardware problem, such as RAM errors or overheating. Get your friend to
run a comprehensive hardware diagnostic routine to confirm that all hardware
is operating properly before trying to chase down software problems.
Meanwhile, clean out the PC to ensure that dust isn't blocking the vents,
and make sure that all fans are operating properly.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (DTS)
"Chaz" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

newsr...@midsouth.rr.com

Dec 10, 2004, 8:29:35 AM12/10/04
Is there any freeware to perform the hardware diagnostic routine
suggested? I'm having the same error message. Thanks very much.

Jeff Richards

Jan 31, 2005, 3:47:58 AM1/31/05
Start here:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Diagnostics/