problems starting with Win 98SE for me?

alan

Aug 6, 2005, 3:54:18 PM8/6/05
I am having problems with my computer. i am running win 98se, 1Gb amd chip
and 30Gb hard drive.
I have been using an external CD burner for several years..Acer 4406 eu.

Over the last week I have been having problems with burning Cds..the whole
system hangs after say 65% of the disc is burned..the system continues to
hang after ctrl alt del..quite often the dialog box of programs running
shows" msgsrv32 is not responding"..switching off the burner does not help
either.
today the burner started asking me to ensure that I had loaded a blank disc
with sufficient space..i had, checked this prob with a new disc of different
brand..same warning..hanging again etc etc. i have tried uninstalling the
software ..easy Cd creator ver 4 and direct CD 3....uninstalling the drive
and reinstalling. all to no avail. The driver has infact gone into
C\windows\system\iosubsys...and the drive does not show up in the device
manager.
I installed the burner onto my laptop..all seemed well until tried burning
a Cd.."insert disc with sufficient space"etc, so I think that the burner is
dished.

I ran system file checker and dr watson and got the messages below.

System file checker identified that the following file may be corrupted

file user.exe
location C:\WINDOWS SYSTEM
and
FILE setupx.dll

location C:\WINDOWS SYSTEM

Then, after running Dr watson

--------------------
Adobe Type Manager has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: ATMSYS.DRV
Version: R v4.00-32S058G06NN
Product: Adobe Type Manager
Manufacturer: Adobe Systems Incorporated

--------------------
<unknown> has altered Windows system files.

Module Name: <unknown>

Is this a separate issue? I have recenly installed spybot. My anti virus
software is norton AV 2005..always up to date.

Finally i do not have an OS disc..just the system recovery disc..no
copies,..all OS is legit
I am fairly computerate, but the world of registry backup, restoration ,reg
edit and scan reg etc are very new tasks for me.

thanks for help
alan

Ron Badour

Aug 6, 2005, 7:01:49 PM8/6/05
Have you tried cleaning the CD player with a cleaning disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q192832/ Those files are probably OK--see
the referenced article.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"alan" <milli...@tesco.net> wrote in message

alan

Aug 7, 2005, 8:12:37 AM8/7/05
thanks, but, tried, but cannot get at the disk to run the cleaning
disc..i.e."drive is not accessible/ready".when I try to "explore"
alan
"Ron Badour" <So...@NoAddress.com> wrote in message

Ron Badour

Aug 7, 2005, 9:37:39 AM8/7/05
Like you, I suspect the drive is DOA. I recently ran into a new CDRW that
had similar problems. It would work one day, the next day it would not be
detected in device manager, would not detect disks, etc. Checked with the
drive maker and they gave me a replacement.

--
Regards

"alan" <milli...@tesco.net> wrote in message

Bradmph

Aug 11, 2005, 5:34:28 PM8/11/05
Hi alan,
Just passin thru!.
make sure you turn off any running programs in the background during
burn. Seems to me that something you installed recently just before it
started to act up may be causing the problem. If nothing is running in
background, it may help center the problem to the burn software or a driver.
As for Norton, yeeesh! I am religous disbeliever of these big named antivirus
programs. I have always felt that they initiate many virus so they will stay
in business. Sounds weird but think about it. As for virus programs, I have
always used AVP, aka:Kaspersky.com and everytime I have gotten a virus, this
program simply kicks its ass. No ridiculous details or super tech removal
directions, just a smack down antivirus killer that works without taking over
your system, planting its name in every oraface of your system. Anyways, make
sure as well in MSCONFIG, that there are no programs starting at bootup that
have no business being there. I have no programs starting and only turn on
virus program when going to a web site of the dark alley kinds. Antivirus
programs can start at the worst times and make your system seem like it is
low on resources or ram. A program that does that deserves one thing. Have
the programmer hung by his small piece of skin or remove the program.

Good luck if your still havin probs,