Will A WindowsXP Upgrade Repair Win98 Problems

Unknown

Nov 20, 2006, 11:25:41 AM11/20/06
Windows 98 (2nd edition) has recently started crashing with VxD
problems, and nothing (including reinstalling my video driver, using
diagnostic startup, etc) has fixed the problem.

If I upgrade to XP will that just install itself over my existing
problems, or will it repair them when installs its own files.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Malke

Nov 20, 2006, 8:40:35 AM11/20/06
Jim Lang <> wrote:

No, installing XP on a failing computer would be foolish. Either do a
clean install of Windows 98 on this machine or give it a burial with
honors and replace it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Detlev Dreyer

Nov 20, 2006, 10:00:45 AM11/20/06
Jim Lang <> wrote:

[Excessive X-Posting w/o F'up2 trimmed]

> Windows 98 (2nd edition) has recently started crashing with VxD
> problems, and nothing (including reinstalling my video driver, using
> diagnostic startup, etc) has fixed the problem.

Without posting the exact error message/s, even the Win98 group won't
be able to help you. Note that issues with virtual VxD drivers may or
may not result from hardware problems. Hardware issues are especially
likely when no system changes (installations) have been made recently.

> If I upgrade to XP will that just install itself over my existing
> problems, or will it repair them when installs its own files.

No - an OS upgrade is never ever meant to fix existing problems. Even if
there were no problems, upgrading from Win98(SE) to WinXP is not really
recommended. Note that WinXP is an NT-based OS in contrast to Win9x/Me
and therefore, upgrading to WinXP means to transfer a lot of garbage.
Perform a *clean* install of WinXP on a new system instead since your
existing Win98 system may not allow for an upgrade due to the hardware
problems anyway.

--
d-d

Yves Leclerc

Nov 20, 2006, 10:01:34 AM11/20/06
NO. It may also cause more problems since XP does not normally use any VxD
based files. You are better off backing up all your important
documents/files and do a complete clean installation of XP (this would be
easier for you in the long run!)

--
---

Y.

Unknown

Nov 20, 2006, 10:34:56 AM11/20/06
Most likely not.
But as the other two replies indicated to do a fresh clean install of XP
after backing up any important files, after the backup has been completed
and since your going to install XP anyway (yes), then it can't hurt to go do
an upgrade of 98 to XP and see what happens.

Note: Even if the upgrade of 98 to XP does work I would still wipe the drive
clean and then do a fresh install, you will be better off without any of the
old Windows 98 registry crap and files lingering around.

Also would not hurt to verify that you have located all your application CDs
and the latest drivers downloaded and burned to a CD before you start a
clean install of Windows XP

JS

<Jim Lang> wrote in message

Ken Blake, MVP

Nov 20, 2006, 11:12:53 AM11/20/06
"Jim Lang" wrote in message

> Windows 98 (2nd edition) has recently started crashing with VxD

Although I am normally in favor of doing upgrades, rather than clean
installations, the one situation where I strongly recommend against it is
when you are having problems with the existing operating system.

Doing what you suggest will much more likely exacerbate the problems than
fix them.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Angus

Nov 20, 2006, 11:16:02 AM11/20/06
Just to add to above replies, if you have an old computer you may be better
off backing up your data and doing a fresh install of Windows 98 rather than
XP. XP requires more power than 98 and also drivers may not be available
for your hardware.

Angus

98 Guy

Nov 20, 2006, 7:51:57 PM11/20/06
Jim Lang wrote:

> Windows 98 (2nd edition) has recently started crashing with VxD
> problems, and nothing (including reinstalling my video driver,
> using diagnostic startup, etc) has fixed the problem.

You should run a drive diagnostic and check the drive for file
fragmentation, media problems (bad sectors), FAT or other structural
problems.

You might be running low on drive space, you might have too many files
in your root directory, etc.

> If I upgrade to XP will that just install itself over my existing
> problems, or will it repair them when installs its own files.

If you "upgrade" (I use the term loosely) to XP then you will have XP,
and most likely your problem will go away.

And if you re-install 98, then again most likely your problem will go
away.

In any case, regardless of what direction you go (a re-install of 98
or a new install of XP) you should fork out $50 for a new hard drive
and perform the installation to that new drive. Then slave your
existing win-98 drive to your system and copy your personal files from
it to the new drive. That is the cleanest way to go, and gives you
the best future reliability and maintains the contents of your old
drive as backup.

Unknown

Nov 21, 2006, 9:17:52 AM11/21/06
Thanks. That makes sense. Stupid question: how do i "slave" my old hd
to my new one in a laptop? i've built desktops, but my laptop
experience is limited :-)