dns error when using dial-up but not when using wireless card

MaggieDCat

Dec 25, 2006, 3:23:30 PM12/25/06
I had a wireless card installed on my laptop for traveling and it
works fine. When I try to use my dial-up at home (nothing else
available yet) I can't get internet access but I can get usenet
access. I keep getting dns error in internet explorer. It started to
work once and then crapped out. Company that installed the wireless
card said it was a virus but everything checked out fine. What am I
doing wrong?

Thanks for input and advice - MdCat

MaggieDCat

Dec 25, 2006, 3:25:57 PM12/25/06
Sorry - sometimes get 'cannot find server' error message instead of
dns error - are they the same thing?

RR

Dec 31, 2006, 5:02:37 AM12/31/06
MaggieDCat wrote:
> Sorry - sometimes get 'cannot find server' error message instead of
> dns error - are they the same thing?

DNS is the protocol or the set of istructions for accessing the servers.
DNS is suppose to be programmed into Windows and the network
controllers "firmware" or drivers.