Blocks of error whilst playing DVD

kaka_uet

Oct 25, 2005, 10:17:42 AM10/25/05

I've recently upgraded my CRT monitor to Toshiba's Tekbright 60A
(bought it off a friend), however there seems to be a bit of a problem
when playing DVDs on it now. The picture tends to break up into
multi-coloured blocks momentarily, then recovers and works fine, and
then again it has bits of those multi-coloured bricks popping up again.
And this continues pretty much throughout the DVD run. Watching a
movie is literally becoming a nightmare with this problem.

OS : Windows 98
The very same DVDs played fine with the CRT monitor, the only thing
thats changed is the monitor! And apparently Toshiba has stopped
manufacturing any more of these models (i.e. Tekbright 60A).

Will appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks.

Rob Hemmings

Oct 25, 2005, 11:28:58 AM10/25/05

"kaka_uet" <kr007...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Do you still have the old CRT or can borrow one to test further?
The reason I suggest that, is it's possible (although unlikely) that
something else has a developed a problem (I'm thinking of your
graphics card or DVD drive.)
Also, is it only when playing DVDs, or does it do this when
running (say) any games you may have?
HTH
--
Rob

kaka_uet

Oct 26, 2005, 11:17:19 AM10/26/05
Have gotten rid of the old CRT, and won't be able to get my hands on
another one. Haven't got any games either. Though I am reasonably
sure that the DVD drive was working fine a day before I replaced the
monitor. Could it be that I just need some latest drivers for the
monitor, or play around with the refresh rate on the display?

Thanks

Rob Hemmings

Oct 26, 2005, 11:39:57 AM10/26/05

> Have gotten rid of the old CRT, and won't be able to get my hands on
> another one. Haven't got any games either. Though I am reasonably
> sure that the DVD drive was working fine a day before I replaced the
> monitor. Could it be that I just need some latest drivers for the
> monitor, or play around with the refresh rate on the display?

Worth a try. I had to set refresh rate on some AG Neovo
17" TFTs to 60Hz to avoid a weird ripple effect at 70Hz
even though they are supposed to support both rates.
Most TFTs need to be run at 60 or 70Hz and native resolution
(usually 1280x1024 these days). I'd definitely install the latest
monitor driver for your particular model as this should stop
it being set to unsupported rates (which can happen if you
use standard windows a plug&play monitor driver.)
HTH
--
Rob

Jock.

Oct 26, 2005, 12:18:38 PM10/26/05
On 26 Oct 2005 08:17:19 -0700, "kaka_uet" <kr007...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Have gotten rid of the old CRT, and won't be able to get my hands on
>another one. Haven't got any games either. Though I am reasonably
>sure that the DVD drive was working fine a day before I replaced the
>monitor. Could it be that I just need some latest drivers for the
>monitor, or play around with the refresh rate on the display?

Presume you installed the monitor, not just plugged
it in?

Jock.

--

Old Glory - a common misspelling. Only the first "l"
is necessary.

kaka_uet

Oct 27, 2005, 4:23:39 AM10/27/05
No I am afraid so I did not install the monitor, it was mainly plug &
play, as didn't have any supporting software with the monitor. I know
this is probably a silly thing to ask, but would it be possible to find
out where can I download the latest monitor drivers for Toshiba's
Tekbright 60A, and moreso once downloaded, how to go about
installing/updating those drivers.

Thanks

Rob Hemmings wrote:
> Worth a try. I had to set refresh rate on some AG Neovo
> 17" TFTs to 60Hz to avoid a weird ripple effect at 70Hz
> even though they are supposed to support both rates.
> Most TFTs need to be run at 60 or 70Hz and native resolution
> (usually 1280x1024 these days). I'd definitely install the latest
> monitor driver for your particular model as this should stop
> it being set to unsupported rates (which can happen if you
> use standard windows a plug&play monitor driver.)
> HTH
> --
> Rob

kaka_uet

Oct 27, 2005, 7:12:37 AM10/27/05

John Fryatt

Oct 27, 2005, 7:39:50 AM10/27/05

http://members.driverguide.com/list/company1066/page16/

Google is good for things like this. ;-)

It will either have it's own install routine that handles everything, or
you unpack the downloaded file, go to Device Manager, select the monitor
and say Update Driver. Follow the dialog boxes and tell Windows to look
wherever the downloaded files are.

(Sorry, that's in XP. but 98 is similar)

Jock.

Oct 27, 2005, 8:26:11 AM10/27/05

There you are! Good luck with it.

kaka_uet

Nov 1, 2005, 10:40:48 AM11/1/05
I did try this, and also played around with the refresh rate, but to no
avail !

Thanks to everyone for all their advice.

Buffalo

Apr 28, 2007, 7:53:52 PM4/28/07
Find the latest VIDEO drivers for your VIDEO ADAPTER (card) and then set it
up.
Perhaps go to the Toshiba website and use their troubleshooting or FAQ
(frequently asked questions) section, or whatever they offer (forum?).